Impacts

EXO SERIES: Lu Han's Little Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

>>HYE YEONG'S POV<<

EXO's breakthrough. I've already seen it coming so it wasn't too shocking, but the impact the group had with their comeback was mindblowing. I always knew there would be a turning point in the group's history, I just didn't know when that would be. They had their first win with 'Wolf' though I thought it wasn't very well-received due its lyrics and concept, but they totally blew up with 'Growl'. As a result, their schedules were packed and fast-paced. Lu Han and I barely saw each other during the promotions. At least, the company made the wise decision to let the group promote as twelve members rather than splitting them into two subunits again.

EXO's popularity couldn't be described. The song was literally played everywhere I went, everybody knew the song, it was a chaos. 2013 is EXO's year, they are at the peak of their careers. Hard to believe that I was one of their most popular member's girlfriend. I was very proud of Lu Han and Jongin, and of course of the other members as well. They received all the love they deserved yet at the same time, I was incredibly worried about Lu Han.

With every day, I was reminded of their schedule. Going overseas, taking flights, performing in front of large crowds, and sasaengs. Though Lu Han and I couldn't see each other face to face, we kept in touch through calls and texts. I didn't want to take up the only time he had during little breaks inbetween but apparently, Lu Han gained strength from that. 

I felt Lu Han's absence and I missed him. Well, I should've appreciated his presence more when he spent his spare time on Min Young and I. While Lu Han was gone, I distracted myself with my usual tasks. Working at the coffee shop, studying, and training hard at the company. I can't do anything else.

Heo Byung Jin has already left the company on good terms after five years, I envied him. He was only waiting until his contract expired, very smart. The very first preparations for SM Entertainment's next girl group began. They started by putting the girls into new groups of five to observe how well we clicked. It's my last chance. I have to give everything if I want to debut.

Hours and hours passed inside the familiar four walls. I sank down to the ground and caught my breath. I know I'm good, but not good enough in their eyes. Even if you were good, the teachers wanted to see your improvement. At first, I couldn't understand the trainees who practised early in the morning, if they didn't go to school, and still practised until late in the night. The debut line-up was pretty much finalised, though. The first trainees were going to be introduced to the company's special pre-debut team, SM Rookies. I haven't got any notice of my inclusion yet, so I guess I won't be part of it. Those trainee's debuts weren't guaranteed, but it was likely they were going to debut. I should still do well, line-ups could always change after all.

"Mrs Nam, what's the matter?" My landlady had called me when I took a little break. I didn't have the room to myself so I went into a quiet corner. "I'll be there soon, thanks." It was time to finish up anyway so I might as well go. I went home quickly and rushed upstairs, meeting Mrs Nam in Min Young's bedroom. 

"She has a mild fever and stomach pain. Do you want me to drive you to the hospital?" Mrs Nam questioned me as I checked Min Young's fever.

"No thanks, I think I can manage. I'm sorry for always burdening you, Mrs Nam." I apologised and smiled gratefully. I sure was glad I was introduced to such a considerate and kind-hearted landlady. 

"It's not a big deal, don't apologise. Alright, inform me if her condition worsens or if you need any help. Remember, I'm right downstairs!" Mrs Nam said goodbye to both Min Young and I before taking her leave. 

I brushed Min Young's hair away from her face and placed a damp cloth on her forehead. I didn't mind having to rush home to take care of Min Young, but I really hoped her immune system would stabilise one day. I'm used to it by now since she easily gets sick. Getting up to make her some food for her upset stomach, I disappeared into the kitchen.

"Sis, where are you?" I heard Min Young calling for me from her bedroom. I turned off the stove and went back to my sister with the bowl of food. "I'm sorry for getting sick again this month. Why is it always me?"

"I wish I knew. Here, eat up and take your medicine. Is your stomach still hurting a lot?" I helped Min Young sit up and took the damp cloth off her forehead so she could eat.

"Yes, very much. Sis, where is Lu Han? I haven't seen him for months." Even when Min Young was at her weakest, she still managed to ask for Lu Han. "But my classmates are always talking about EXO, watching their videos and listening to their song. If they knew my big sister and Lu Han are a couple!"

I caressed her hair and smiled softly. If they knew. "I also miss him, Min Young-ah. He's probably busy exploring the world or at least spreading music. It's a really important time for the handsome boys."

"Sis, you aren't breaking up, are you?" Min Young pouted at me, overcome by emotions all of a sudden. Seeing her saddened expression was heartbreaking.

"No, we aren't." I intended to say 'not at the moment' but it wasn't the right time to say that. To be honest, I did consider breaking up once. It was in summer and autumn when Lu Han had a schedule planned literally every day and had to go on unnecessary long flights. I didn't want Lu Han to feel like he had to force himself to make time for me and spend time with me instead of using the time to rest. I didn't want to be another burden when Lu Han was busy enough. Which is why I was insecure, I didn't know about our future and if we can have a future. The thought of breaking up left as quickly as it came up. 

Lu Han needed me the most at this moment where his career started blossoming. Despite all the success, popularity and support, he had an incredibly hard time. He must feel tired and lonely. He is always working to forget that he is lonely. If I left him, Lu Han might really fall into a deep state of depression. But it's not because of the consequences that I don't break up with him. I love Lu Han too much to leave him because of that silly reason. We haven't talked about this problem yet because we didn't have the chance, but I hoped we could see each other again soon. My only way to see him now was on television or on the Internet. I remember having to force myseslf once to admit that I liked him but now I'm happy to admit it.

Back to reality, Min Young ate up the food and took her medicine. She didn't go back to sleep right afterwards and kept sitting on the bed, leaning her back against the wall. I stayed with my sister the whole time, checking her temperature and changing the damp cloth. I just hope Lu Han is doing well.

>>LU HAN'S POV<<

It should feel like a dream, it does. I didn't expect our next album and repackaged version would earn us EXO's first win on a music show, much less top the charts. Growl was definitely our breakthrough single. Though our fanbase was already growing, the song shot us to the top and attracted many fans, we received much love. I didn't feel like we deserved our fans' love.

It could've probably been our last album if it didn't do well, but knowing SM Entertainment, they wouldn't give up on their biggest boy group project so far, right? We could pay off our debts but still weren't paid after our official promotions ended. We're still saving up our little money and eating kimbap, but even eating is difficult. Constantly having schedules and flying back and forth, there is no time to eat. 

My acrophobia and my worsening insomnia took a great toll on my health. I requested and discussed a lot with the company, because of the flights. Were those long flights really necessary when we could take the direct flights? We would save our time and I wouldn't be emotionally distressed every day. But how could SM Entertainment approve of my requests when EXO is at its peak? 

Of course, I knew I'd have to go on flights if I debuted as an idol. We flew a lot last year too, but the six of us were mainly based in China. We didn't commute as much as now. My requests were almost never approved, it was disappointing. I didn't know it'd become so bad with the flying. 

I was aware I shouldn't complain. We finally had our breakthrough, I should be happy since it was my career choice. It's just so hard at the moment. I was mentally unprepared for the suddenly huge crowds that would form at the airports and event locations. We weren't used to so much attention. Most of the EXO members were camera-shy and it got worse with some. I certainly think I developed a bigger fear of crowds and cameras. It's not easy to get used to the attention after becoming 'the' boy group overnight. The cameras were one worry and the crowds another, but what angered us the most were the sasaengs.

Sasaengs showing up and blocking our way at airports, at our dormitory and at places I could never think of. We were constantly followed and became infamous for having many sasaengs. If they harmed us, it wasn't as upsetting as them harming our neighbours and completely unrelated people. They definitely didn't choose to live next to us and deal with crazy sasaengs. One time, I went home for New Year's, it was before our comeback and some people dared following me from the airport to my house to disturb my family. My parents have always been low-key, I treasured them the most and worked hard to protect their identities. We often received calls and messages from sasaengs, so I'd snatch my members' phones and ask the people not to call anymore, even politely adding a 'thank you'. I can't bear with it, it's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter