Chapter 11

Times Between You and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

- When someone comes into your life God sent them for a reason. Either to learn from them or to be with them till the end. -

 

 Autumn 1997

Myungsoo cried hard in front Gyuri who didn’t know how to make him stop crying. His face filled with tears and nasal mucus. He looked so heartbroken by the news he needed to deliver. He stood there in front of Gyuri’s house, trying to talk. But, his sob prevented him from talking.

“O-omma said, I must follow her to move abroad. She will take me from you. I don’t know when I will see you again.” He tried hard to talk between sniveling. His voice became louder as he talked. He almost yelled out his word.

Gyuri watched him talking in silence. Myungsoo kept talking the same thing, only his voice became louder and he became angrier.

“Kkam-Kkam…” Gyuri tried to call him to get him calm, but Myungsoo didn’t hear her voice. She grabbed his shoulder and called again, “Kim Myungsoo!”

Myungsoo stopped talking. He looked at her.

 

“Your heart is hurting right now. What you feel is sadness. Instead of screaming as if you are angry at time like this. You have to say how you truly feel.”

Myungsoo was sobbing hard, but he listened to Gyuri’s word.  “I don’t want to go, but I need to go. I will miss you so much, Gyul. I don’t know how long I will stay there, probably we never meet again.”

“Isn’t that good, Kkam-kkam? You will see bigger world. You’ll learn many things.” Gyuri tried to persuade him. Myungsoo still cried. “Wait here, I will take camera.”

 

Gyuri walked to her house and came back not long after that. She took a picture of Myungsoo who cried. “I bet you will look so ugly in this photo.”

“Why are you taking my picture?”

“I took your sadness in this time. You will not sad about this anymore.” Gyuri was talking with soothing voice. She was almost liked hypnotizing him. And miraculously, Myungsoo stopped sobbing. He felt better. “I bet that after you arrived there, you will soon feel happiness overload for the new world open for you. Then you’ll forget me and get many new friends.”

“No, I will not forget you, Gyul! I will come back here for you! I promise. No matter how long it took, I will return to Seoul.” Myungsoo said in confidence.

Gyuri smiled. “Okay, I will wait but promise me that you will come back bringing thousand stories.”

Myungsoo nodded. From that time, he dreamt to experience many things so he would have stories to tell her. One of them was by taking picture, because picture could tell you thousand things even if it was only one frame.

***

 

2015

Myungsoo stepped in front of Gyuri’s house door. His heart was beating so hard. From his place, he could hear noise coming from inside. It seemed like Gyuri was struggling with her cooking. It made Myungsoo smiled in amusement. 

He extended his hand to the doorbell, but he stopped in front of it.

“Are you sure that you want to come out like this?” Jiyoung’s voice rang again. Jiyoung didn’t think it was a good idea when Myungsoo told her yesterday.  She said it was because Gyuri was in foul mood lately.

If not today, probably I will have no chance to tell her anymore. I don’t want to keep her in dark. Myungsoo answered to Jiyoung’s voice. He pushed the doorbell.

 

“Is it you, Myungsoo?” Gyuri yelled from inside house.

“Yes.” Myungsoo answered back.

“Just come in. You know my password, right. I’m a little bit busy right now.” After that Myungsoo heard Gyuri yelped. He chuckled while punching numbers for opening the door.

He walked inside and observed the house. It was in good condition as he last came to clean it up. It was just the kitchen looked messy. It looked like Gyuri was doing a war with kitchen utensil not cooking. Myungsoo chuckled. Gyuri heard it.

“Have you already come inside, Myungsoo?” Gyuri turned around while bring a plate of dish to table. When she saw Myungsoo, she looked shocked.

“L-L Kim? What are you doing inside my house? Where is Myungsoo?” She put the plate on the table and walked passing the table to Myungsoo. She looked on the door, thinking that Myungsoo she knew hadn’t come inside.

 

Myungsoo grabbed her hand. “Annyeong, Gyul.”

There was a deafening silence for a while. Gyuri stared at Myungsoo with widen eyes. was slightly ajar. “No-way. It’s… Don’t say that you are Kkam-kkam?”

 

Myungsoo touched her face with both hands “It’s me, Myungsoo.”

Gyuri only closed her eyes. She thought it was a dream, but the person in front her didn't disappear after she opened her eyes again. There was a pause between them. Gyuri tried hard to precede the new information for her.

The memories of past days flood inside her mind. Started from the first time she saw Myungsoo at the club.

"You know me." It was what Myungsoo said in the car.

“Don’t you remember me, Park Gyuri?”

 

At the drinking shop

"Really? If you're my fan you should know what my name is."

 

At DDP

“Myungsooya, I have to go. Talk to you later.” She said it while walking toward him. Confusion painted in her expression.

“Okay…” Myungsoo could only answer her that. He waited Gyuri to say something to him.

“L.Kim, what are you doing here? Didn’t you go home already?

 

She knew there was something familiar about L.Kim, but she never thought he was Myungsoo. No, her mind denied acknowledging that Myungsoo turned to be a person liked L.Kim. That ugly kid that she used to take care. There was no way. Even though all proof proved that he was Myungsoo from the start. Her mind probably slipped to somewhere when she studied on his information night before she went to amusement park with him. She could learn his real name there, but she chose to ignore the information.

 

Then her memories wandered to the scene in amusement park. Her face got hot when she remembered the ferries wheel. Something hit her in her gut.

“Let’s live well together. I promise I will make you happy.” 

"Is it fun for you?" Gyuri said that as reply. She was upset. All the time had given to him, he never told her truth. Is it fun to keep her in dark?

"What you mean, Gyul?"

"Nuna, you should call me that. I'm older than you."

"I don't kiss someone I call nuna."

"Stop playing with me. This is why people say never trust anyone. You lied to me."

Myungsoo tried to touch her but Gyuri shrugged him off. "Don't touch me. Don't."

"I never lie to you from the start."

Gyuri knew he was true but right now her mind only filled with anger. She didn't want to hear any reason.

"Gyul..."

"Nuna." She reminded him again. She tried to put a distance. She didn't know why she was upset about the fact that L.Kim was Myungsoo. That ugly Myungsoo.  She should go away first. Clear her mind. "I should go."

 

"But..." Myungsoo wanted to hold her down. Gyuri refused to be touched.

"You finished that seaweed soup and cleaned up. I need to go to work." Gyuri walked to door.

"Gyul..." Myungsoo called again but he got no respond.

Gyuri's mind was clouded right now. She couldn't think clearly. She couldn't hear anything.

***

 

Gyuri arrived at work half absent-minded. It was almost like her mind skipped for the whole day. Her brain kept ordering her memory to replay the scene from this morning. No matter how much she tried to deny the fact, it was happened.

“It’s me, Myungsoo.” This must be a dream. Gyuri should prove that it was a dream.

"Kang Jiyoung..." Gyuri finally said something after a whole day didn't talk at all. And it was for asking her newest member team to give her L.Kim's data. She wanted everything about him; basic information, life, career, etc.

Jiyoung soon came up with folders. She had prepared it after the time Dongwoo announced that their team would handle the coverage. As new member she thought that what she should do to show how determine she was to become useful for the team. Kang Jiyoung was a hard worker.

 

Gyuri accepted the folders and started to examine the folders' data. She didn't realize that the whole team was observing her weird behavior to be such quiet. She just wanted reconfirm the fact. The data soon caught her inside.

Jiyoung went back to her chair while watching Gyuri's reaction. When she sat down, Sungjong and Seungyeon approached her, whispering to each other.

"What did she say?" Seungyeon asked while observing Gyuri who studying the data.

"Nothing. She just said thanks." Jiyoung shook her head. Then her face turned worried. "Are we in trouble?"

"No, Jiyoung ssi. You are doing a good job. How could you find out so much data in a short time?" Sungjong patted Jiyoung's upper arm.

Jiyoung smiled when the hand came in contact with her skin. She wore a short sleeves baby blue dress. "I have been collecting it since Chief announced that our team will handle the coverage. Beside, I am a fan of L.Kim."

Jiyoung hid the facts that she was a close friend of Myungsoo. She thought it wasn't necessary to announce it to the world.

"Why she didn't say anything. This really cut my nerves. I'm afraid if I moved a bit she will yell at me. Why sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter