The Bond that We Share

The Lady Behind the Mask
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11

 

The Bond that We Share

 

 

 

Seunghyun and his dad are having a more than casual dinner at a Japanese restaurant. It's a rare occurrence for the two to eat without their other family members or due to business related matter. No, they aren’t fighting or anywhere near that. They don’t even hate each other. It’s just that there is a boundary wall of confidentiality between them. They are just too similar, like a two peas in a pod, from their working behaviour and to their own attitude.

 

Both Choi's are considered brutally outspoken, withdrawn, man of few words, and sarcastic. People in the business world perceived them as power hogging, egotistical, despotic, sycophantic, and apathetic leaders. Their own blood see them as someone uptight, reclusive, adamant, and powerful, - that they are someone who can hold the title as a great leader in the music industry. 

 

But is that who really are they? Only a handful of people knows the real them, their immediate family. But even they don’t know the real Seunghyun and Jungsu. They have this wall built around them to restrain the feelings to outpour. The facade that they put up to keep them from seeing the fear and desire that is buried deep down inside of them. It was only him and his father knows the real reason behind this wall of indifference.

 

"So Seunghyun what is it that you want to talk about?", after half an hour of serene silence between them, his father breaks the the wall of silence and asks his son.

 

Seunghyun place the chopsticks on its rest and wipe his mouth. It has been a while since he had a talked with his father, and it's a first time that he was the one who made the first move. He felt nervous all of a sudden and he can feel his heart beating faster. This will be the first time that he'll talk to his father about something that isn't business related after such a long time.

 

He takes a deep breath and raises his head. He locks eyes with his father, a look of confidence and stubbornness flash across his eyes. "On the day of our company's party I want you to meet my girlfriend."

 

He can see the shock look on his father, a spark of what he thinks is happiness and relief was also seen. His father just nods his head in agreement. Seunghyun won't be expecting him to question who his girlfriend is, he is never the type of person who digs for his son's personal life.

 

"Is that all you wanted to say?", Jungsu asks, he lift his eyebrow in question.

 

"Yes, I just want to inform you since I don't want to make a scene when I introduce her to you."

 

Another nod from him came, he didn't know what to think and talk about right now. Should he tell him about her? Should he show him her picture? Should he say that she's working as his secretary? Will he accept her even though she didn't come from an affluent family? 

 

"So is she working in our company?", the question made him think. Should he answer it with a simple yes? Or should he elaborate more? He weighs down his answer and concludes that a simple one is safer.

 

"Yes."

 

“Would you tell me her name?”

 

Seunghyun nods his head and smiles. His father bit back his tongue seeing the smile of happiness on his son. ‘It’s been a long time since I saw that smile.’, he dejectedly thought.

 

“Hwang Tiffany.”, Seunghyun hopes that it will be the last question. He don’t want his father to dwell on his life without Tiffany by his side.

 

His father just grunt in approval. It's better to let Tiffany talks about her life; his family would even prefer it in that way. They both once again eat in silence. The silence is not something uncomfortable or awkward; it is more of an I-prefer-silence-over-talking.

 

The maître’d of the restaurant enters and offers them their desserts and house tea. A simple Yokan dessert is place in front of them. The thick jelly and sweetened beans leaves a good aftertaste on their mouth. 'I'll bring Tiffany here.'. Noted...

 

"Seunghyun.", He heard his father call his name, he stare up to him and sees the intent look that his giving him. The seriousness in his voice sounds business to him.

 

"There will be a competition for the next president. I want you to do your best.", surprise is an understatement with what he's feeling when he drop the news. He wasn't expecting for him to say those things. 'I thought he already gave it to Hyung.' He didn't say anything and just let his father speak. 'If this is what father wants then I'll do it. I won't back down; I'll show them that I'm more capable than my elder brother. That I'll be the best for the position.'

 

"Show me the leadership of a true Choi proudly held."

 

The words that he said baffle him. He takes a curious glance to his father who remained quiet. True Choi? What does it mean?

 

 

My day started with the usual morning wake up call. The alarm started ringing non-stop as soon as the clock strikes 6 in the morning. I felt the warm sunlight that peers through my window bouncing on my skin. I tried to ignore the noisy sound and let it ring for a while. ‘Five more minutes.’. A groan escapes from my lips as I cover my eyes with the pillow. As soon as my eyes are closed and the darkness filled my vision, I remember the dream that haunted me. I immediately sit up straight throwing the pillow away. I can feel my face heating up and my mind going back to replay loud and clear my dream earlier. ‘What the hell!’. He can’t really leave me alone even in my dreams can he?

 

I reluctantly stand from my bed and wear my bedroom slipper to my bathroom. I filled the tub with warm water before I start stripping off from my nightwear.  The reflection on the mirror gives me a little shock. Dark circle below my eyes, almost dry skin on my forehead, chapped lips that can't be hidden by lipstick, blackheads on my pretty nose and is that a crow feet at my eyes? I grimace at my own face and groans at the lack of moisture feeling. My feet drag me away from the horrible reflection as I start cooling off first with the cold splashing water before jumping on the warm hot bath. The cold water felt good on my face and body as I wash the remnants of sweat. 

 

I pat the fluffy towel on my face to dry of any trace of water. I start to pull my hair in a messy bun and take my nose patch peel from the pouch. Slowly, I peel it from the clear acetate and put it on my nose; I started applying some moisturizer on my face before putting on my neat clothes. As soon as I’m done wearing my clothes I started applying some light makeup. The messy bun made my hair looks like naturally curled when I take the rubber off. I sprit some hair mousse to volume up my hair. A small smile forms on my face as I see the finish product. An alarm sound made me look at the time and I hurriedly grab my stuffs, fled to the basement where my car awaits for me.

 

After half an hour of ride I can now see the top building and my heart begins to thump faster. I can't let some nervousness bite me up, I didn't take a practice every day just to messed up. I close my eyes and let my mind wander. I tried to calm down my bring heart and think of the positive things. Slowly I can feel my confidence crawling back.

 

"We are here Ms. Choi.", Mr. Park informed me. I take a peek at my window and noticed that our car has stop by the entrance. "Good luck:

 

"Thank you Mr. Park.", I grab my things and offload from the car. 

 

I walk through the entrance and notice that everyone's looking at me. My confidence has reached its maximum level. I raise my chin up and walk graciously to where my room is situated. 'Just look at me everyone. I'll be the new queen of ballet.' My hands tremble in excitement, there is no one comparable to me, none to what I know. I'm perfectly sure that the main role will be mine.

 

"Choi Seohyun.", a familiar voice said from my back. It's the voice of someone I knew way back since I was young. It’s the voice that I have never heard off for a long time.

 

I hesitantly turn around and sees a short dyed blond hair woman standing a few feet away from where I stand. Her eyes are gleaming and soft shy smile is on her face. It is the face of the person that I haven't seen for half a decade.

 

"Bae Joohyun.", an unintentional spit of her name comes out from my mouth. She looks stunned for a moment before a nervous smile forms on her lips.

 

"It's been a long time right?", she softly tells me. I shrug the cold shiver that runs on my spine as I turn my heel back. 

 

"I have to go now. I still have an audition to do.", I didn't have to look back as I walk to my destination. I clench the bag in my hand tighter. I can feel my jaw tightens in anger and nervousness. 'What is she doing back here? When did she come back? Why is she even here?'

 

I momentarily stop from walking when a thought came to my mind. 'No way. Please.'

 

I heard a footstep by my side and I don’t have to take a look at the person. "Good luck to us Seohyun.", I hesitantly turn my head to the side and see her smiling at me. Her smile made me want to tear from her face.

 

“I don’t need that.”, I walk pass by her with newfound fierceness and determination. I'm not going to lose. I'm the best ballerina that Korea will ever have.

 

'I won't let you get what's mine for the second time.'

 

 

JiYong coolly hops down from his Lamborghini and walks to the boutique across the street. Everyone turns their head towards him; he’s just simply an attractor even with his simple white plain v-neck shirt and black skinny jeans. He isn’t afraid to flaunt his arms that are decorated with tattoos. He casually walks inside where a sales consultant bows and greeted him. The store head of the boutique recognized him and immediately walks in front of him.

 

He removes his sunglass that reveals a pair of very seductive eyes. He simply nods his head to acknowledge the presence of the person standing in front of him.  “Is it ready?’

 

The woman blushes at the eye contact but immediately regain her composure. “Yes sir. It arrived yesterday.”, she professionally smiles at him and leads the customer to the boutique’s lounge. “Have a seat first sir.”, the woman with open palms points at the couch. “I’ll show you the item that is fully customized to your requirement sir. I’ll just get it.”, the woman bows her head before walking back to the store stock room. She orders someone to get their frequent and prominent customer a cup of tea or coffee.

 

He takes a seat at the free couch and gives the pretty sales consultant, the one who is assigned to get him a cup of drink, a smirk. “Coffee will do.”, he stares at her eye and wink. The girl blushes at him before scurrying away from him. A soft chuckle escape from his mouth as he sees the girl almost stumbles on her own two feet. He comfortably resy his body and spread his arm over the backrest. His eyes roam around the shop when a familiar girl catches his attention. He observes her from head, stopping for some time on her mid-back, and, lastly to her thighs and legs. He narrowed his eyes to see if he’s not making a mistake, the moment she turns her head to the side his speculation have been right. Not even waiting for another second, Jiyong in a single breath walks to the spot behind her.

 

‘Jiyong put it back on.’

 

"Short hair suits you.", he whispers to her making the girl jumps out in surprise. The close proximity between them made him clearly observes her face.

 

He can't believe that he'll notice it was her even though it was only her back that's visible for him to see. She had her hair change, from the light brown waist long hair to a white silvery blond shoulder length hair. It was one of the things that he likes to a girl, short hair. 

 

She’s wearing a black, for Tiffany and Yuri its obsidian, doll eyes contact lens. It accentuated her beautiful wide almond eyes. ’Don’t asks me how did I know.’. Her nose is small and pointy that makes him want to rub his own with hers. Small and pouty lips that is tinted with red and pink lipstick. ‘Yuri and Tiffany says it’s gradient. I call it bull.’ . Her overall look is comparable to that tiny fairy that Yuri always read when they were younger.

 

Jiyong suddenly feels uncomfortable and a little achy somewhere. He doesn’t know how he recognized her ‘Body Jiyong. Body. You never go wrong when it comes to body.’. or why he’s even talking with her. ‘Because you are using your nether head.’ But one thing is for sure this girl who made him sleepless for weeks would fall on his hands.

 

A smirk forms on his lips as he noticed the way this blond haired girl stares at him. The air conditioner in the boutique isn’t doing its job to cool down the place, he’s feeling sweaty and hotter. He his bottom lip as he leans his forehead to hers. “Done staring missy?”

.

+

.

 

Taeyeon is seriously scanning the racks of clothes when the irritating murmur of the staffs enters her ear. She turns her head to the side and sees the one that assisting her is busy glancing somewhere in front. It spikes her interest as to who this celebrity that enters the shop that made everyone gape like stupid. She turns her head towards the front and sees the back of a skinny man. He’s wearing very plain not cool clothing. His arms are full of tattoos that irk her. ‘Stupid girls for fawning at someone dirty like him.’

 

The interest at the intruder lives a short span for her attention as she went back to picking out new clothes. A short pink dress caught her interest, she pick up the dress and carefully looks at it. The simple dress looks elegant but there is something off at it. She shakes her head and asks the one that assisting her for a size. The dress remains in her hand; she looks at the sales consultant and sees her still staring at the guy. In irritation, Taeyeon shove the dress to her hand and glares at the girl as soon as she turns her attention back to her.

 

The girl says a string of apology before dashing off to get a size for her. She turns her eyes back to the rack and starts picking up some clothes. A shadow looms over her but the whisper on her ear is something that she isn’t expecting. She looks at the source of the voice and sees the man that everyone is staring at. ‘If it isn’t the bastard.’

 

Taeyeon audaciously studies his face, from the crease on his forehead, to his small seductive eyes, shapely thick eyebrows, pointy nose, and down to his curvaceous lips.

 

"Done staring missy?", she let out a chuckle and playfully cross her arms. She pulls her sight from his smirking mouth and looks back to his eyes.

 

Mischievous eyes that darts through her soul, trying to see look for any indication of familiarity. "I'm done and well satisfied. How about you are you done staring?"

 

He let out a lustrous chuckle as he throws his head back. She feels warm and cold at the same time. Her blood feels warm as it runs to her cheeks. Cold sweat trails down on her temple as his laugh echoes on her ear.

 

‘Damn this guy.’

 

"Of course. I have all your curves etched on my mind. By the way, JiYong.", he extend his hand in front of her with a handsome smile on his face.

 

'Double whammy damn!'

 

Taeyeon clench her jaw as he introduced himself. She looks at his hand for a moment then back to his face. ‘He doesn’t really remember me.’. She hesitantly reaches for his hand and smirks. "Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon.", she pulls his hand which made JiYong fall, almost, but he regained his balance. Still it resulted at him being on eye level at her just a breath away from each other. "Remember that my dear JiYong."

 

Taeyeon pulls away from him and smirks. She turns her head to the consultant and asks for a new stock of the coat in her hand. As soon as the girl is out of their sight she turns her attention back to the handsome guy. "This is a woman's boutique what does a handsome guy like you doing here? By any chance do you prefer women's clothing?"

 

Her question obviously made the guy grunt in annoyance. He scoffs at her and raise his eyebrow. 'What does she think I am?'. "Do I look like someone who prefers women's clothing? I don't think so.", he angles his head comfortably and leans forward. 

 

Taeyeon stands frozen in shock at the sudden connection between them. She isn't expecting that kind of action from him. Seconds before she can even respond from him, he pulls away and playfully his bottom lip making her swallow. "What do you think?", he tauntingly asks her.

 

'Two can play games.'. She her upper lip and smiles as she sees his eyes following her pink meat. "I don't know. It's a bit too fast. It felt like you're just trying to prove to yourself that you’re indeed a straight man.”, she got the upper hand when the guy furrows his eyebrow and glares at her.

 

In no time Taeyeon felt her back colliding to the wall. Both of her hands are pinned on top of her head. She closed her eyes at the sudden pain that her back felt and slowly opens her eyes to see JiYong looking dangerously handsome at her. Instead of feeling scared and panicked she felt like he’s challenging her for something exciting and adventurous. 

.

+

.

JiYong leans his head close to her neck making the girl shiver in delight, fear or panic, he doesn't know. His breath fanned on her collarbones, neck and to her ear. A grin appeared on his face as he felt her move against him. "Not here. You don't want me taking you up in front of so many people.", he let go off her and walks away. 

 

He looks at the stunned red faced sale consultants and store manager. He walks to the person assisting him and lift the limited edition pink lace top and silk bottom one piece dress. He scrutinized the item for a while before giving the item back to the consultant and smiles. “Wrap it up. This is for my special girl.”, he  says, heading to the cashier to pay. Before he goes out of the shop he looks back to the girl and gives a playful two fingers salute at her.

.

+

.

From the moment he pulled away from her, Taeyeon can feel her heart drumming in her rib cage, warm tingling feeling formed on her body as she follows his every move. She can feel her nose flaring the moment she sees him lifting a beautiful dress. ‘Damn. I want that perfect Dress.’ She clenches her hand in frustration when he said special girl. 'Must be for his girlfriend.'. Her eyes followed his body as he paid for the dress and smugly walks out of the shop. 'He didn't even take a second glance at me.'. She felt her heart stop when he turns his head towards her and gives her a salute.

 

"What the hell.", she silently mutters. She looks down and sees a piece of paper in her hand. 'Where did it came from?'. She lifts the business card and smiles after reading the content.

 

 

KWON JIYONG

DOLCE VITA MANAGING DIRECTOR

011-0309-0816

 

 

Sunny hurriedly walks inside a cafe, the weather outside is too hot for her to pass down a good ice cold coffee. In a few steps, even with her short legs, she has reached the counter and orders an iced Caramel Macchiato with an added espresso shot. After the transaction she takes a seat on one of the vacant couches while waiting for her name to be called. A sigh of relief escape from her as she felt the soft pad touches her behind. Her head has been aching for the whole day. She can feel the nerves in her brain are going to explode in any minute.

 

It has been a hectic day for her. She had to once again film a music video for the sensational girl group Soshi, the one that they had a few days ago was erased by an unknown person, and now they had to redo everything from scratch. They even have to film it the whole night since the music video is scheduled to be released in a few days due time. 'Stupid *n *ssh*l* whoever the sh*t erased that I'm going to skin it alive, set the skinned body to fire, throw its burned body to a pit of crocodile and let the crocodile be eaten by a mob of piranhas and sharks.'. Her seething aura didn't get unnoticed by the waiter whose trembling hands placed her cup of coffee on the table. She scurried walks away in nervousness to avoid being the one to receive her wrath.

 

A familiar laugh snaps Sunny from her gory and scary imagination. The laugh that she detests the most. The laugh of the person who she loath in her whole life. She closed her eyes and calm herself. She shouldn't let him affects her life. 'Just relax Sunny. Breathe in. Breathe out. 1 . 2 . 3 . Stand up and leave the shop unnoticed.'. She opens her eyes with determination and stands up from her seat.

 

"I guess you still had it hooked up with Sunny."

 

Sunny stands frozen on the spot. That voice.. That very familiar voice.. 

 

"Damn it! You still got it eh."

 

She let herself free fall back on the seat. Her hands are trembling and a gush of painful memories floods her mind.

 

"Congratulations bro! What help do you need anyway?"

 

She bit her lower lip until a metallic taste fell on her lips. She ignores the cut and blood that seeps from her biting. The physical pain is nothing compared to the pain of her heart. A foreign thing fell from her cheeks, as she held her chest in frustration and anger. She's frustrated that the moment he entered her life again, she becomes the weak 16 years old that she was. Anger- to herself for letting him unconsciously enters her heart once again. 'I'm really weak.'

 

Sunny stands up from her seat forgetting the untouched cup of coffee at the table. She almost trip on the table and spilled her coffee. Without looking back at the mess that she made, she fled away from the cafe shop, not even turning her head for once. 

 

 

Yuri flinch as another flying garment hit her straight in the face. Instead of getting mad, she pushes herself to the side and smirks as her friend starts to mutter short curses. She just had finished her daily gym routine with her re-established friend when a call interrupted their not-so-sweet – no-malice chit chattering. And it has been a full blown entertaining two hours to see her friend getting thorny on choosing clothes for the party later on. After a few more hits and curses, Yuri despairingly walks to her friend and taps her shoulder.

 

“Tiffany..Why don’t we hit the shops and look for clothes that are to your liking?”, she sweetly smiles at her friend.

 

“I guess that’s the only choice that I have. Let’s go.”, Tiffany had a 360o change in the mood, she beams her friend a smile before pulling her hand and grabbing her bag. “Gangnam is it!”

 

The two h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter