Beginnings

Destined

Chapter 2  

 

If there are things that you cannot leave behind

Like farewells or unforgettable dreams

Just take them with you

Even if we part ways with our own dreams

 

**

 

Winter of that same year Ryeowook arrived home with good news waiting for him. He was slacking up for the past few days since college examinations were finished. He was physically drained after that and just like his high school friends they are now waiting for the results that would decide for their future in college. Of course everyone wants good grades so that they can be accepted to quality universities. For Ryeowook, he is praying that all those sleepless nights of studying would be worth it. He needed passing scores enough to go to SNU. He can’t fail his teachers who had worked hard for him and also his parents who trusted in him.

That is why Ryeowook had never been so happy and surprised when he saw his exam results at home. He walked to the kitchen hoping to find his mother but instead he saw a letter addressed to him. Since it has his name and its already opened he decided to take a look at it. He almost cried in happiness seeing it and when he saw his mother smiling at him he ran to her and hug him like a baby.

“Congratulations baby, you’ve worked hard for it,” his mother whispers to him while he continued to cling to her.

 

Weeks passed by until it is time for Ryeowook to prepare for a life away from home. He needs to find a dorm in Seoul where he will live within his college years so once spring break started he decided to look out for dorms in the city.

He had a list on his hand and all he needed to do was to visit these dorms and choose one that he likes. That isn’t his only agenda that day since he also needs to go to SNU and confirm his enrolment as well as familiarize himself with the environment. He was alone at that time and this is the second time he went to Seoul all by himself. The first one was when he went to SM without his parent’s consent.

It will also be his first time to live away from his parents and the idea of it excites him but at the same time scares him. His excitement comes from being free to do anything he wants now that he is independently living. But it also scares him knowing that he will be alone to face the world now.

As he think about his worries he unconsciously walks to a familiar road. He was sure he has been there before but he couldn’t figure out why he can’t recognize it clearly. Maybe because its already dark at night and he’s getting tired.

Deciding that he is now contented and had already chosen the dorm, he stops by the bus station and waits for the bus that will bring him back home to Incheon.

 

**

 

Somewhere nearby Kyuhyun walks absentmindedly while pondering on his father’s words. He just had another heated argument with him as he tries to persuade his parents – his father mostly – to allow him to train at SM. He really wanted to do it and had tried his best to earn his father’s blessings but until now he doesn’t feel like he is going to succeed. If he is stubborn, then what more his parents are? He got it from them of course.

He tried bargaining with them, saying that if he did well in his final exams they will allow him but it didn't work. Even if he did well in any exam his father is fixed on getting him a professional career, a lawyer to be exact.

Now that spring break have started his days to decide is running out. If he disobey them what consequences does he need to face?  Will they disown him? That might be a possibility and will Kyuhyun have the heart to leave his family just for his dreams? Oh well, he need to come up with the decision now. A part of him wanted to pursue what he wanted after winning the contest last year. He received a lot of offers from people promising him a spot from different labels. Still, he doesn’t want to let his parents down. If he obey them then everything will be well. Studying and doing well at school isn’t a problem for him since he has been doing it since he started school.

Kyuhyun looks up to the sky as if asking him for answers. He didn’t look where his feet were going but thankfully the bus beeped in warning before he crossed the street. The stoplight turned green and he saw the bus heading to Incheon crossed the intersection before stopping at the bus stop few meters ahead. That was a close call but still it didn’t wake up his senses as he relied on his feet to lead him wherever it wants to go. He doesn’t have a destination tonight. All he wants to have is an answer.

He found himself standing at a busy street and the large building caught his attention. Even if he is far from it he could still hear the song playing loudly. He recognized the song with the lyrics telling that ‘life’s couldn’t get better’ from that new band that debuted last year. Kyuhyun was surprised to see that he was staring at the building of SM and he felt a longing in his heart.

He heard stories of trainees from different labels and he knows that it is a hard path to choose even if you had the talents they were looking for. The future isn’t promising too because the chance of debuting onstage isn’t guaranteed always. You have to wait for your turn and what if you cannot wait any longer? Giving up is the next step and going back to your second choice.

 

 

**

 

Wonder what Kyuhyun chose in the end? Well, he decided to take the path with sure future for him. He went on to become what his parents wanted him to be. It is not easy letting go of his desires but he went on with it. ‘Obey your parents’ is what his conscience always tell him.

In college life you start preparing yourself for your future. In here you will learn many things you haven’t learned in high school. You will learn to prioritize things in life. You will stay awake at 2am to finish your work before the deadline because you know that your future lies on it. You will get to say bad things about your professor but in the end you’ll still do what he says, because you need to pass. You will be so busy that you can’t call up old friends to catch up with them. And then you will realize that your relationship is drifting apart because they can’t handle your busy schedule. But you will see who is real because they’re the ones staying with you even if you forgot to greet them on their birthdays.

It is a new life and it is the closest one you can get to experience the harsh life of the world before you finally step outside. It sounds scary but actually it is exciting that you get closer to your freedom.

So when Kyuhyun steps on to the grounds of his new university, he reminds himself that he is not going to regret his decisions. It is going to be a long journey to be a lawyer but he thinks it will fit him, considering that he have a smart mouth. For his pre-law he hopes that everything will be fine for him.  What he hates at school the most is having strict professor and he thinks that he will encounter many of them.

Adjusting his glasses, Kyuhyun walked within the sea of strangers trying to find his way to his classroom. There is this strange feeling you feel at the first day of school when you’re at a new environment. He is anxious because he doesn’t know anyone here. Well, none of his previous schoolmates got accepted here. He doesn’t want to be a loner in this big university and he hopes he finds someone who can be a good friend.

 

 

At the other side of the university someone is also looking up to the signs above the rooms figuring out which one is on his class schedule. He is an hour early to his class but he doesn’t want to stay inside his dorm. Perhaps he thinks that it is best to familiarize himself in the university during his free time because it to be lost at your first day at school.

Finding his classroom still empty, Ryeowook decided to go to the library first to kill time.  Apparently the place is also big but you can see that most students were either holding up their phone or sleeping. Well, that’s what he does in the library when he was in high school. It is also the place he wants to go whenever he is alone. He is not the type of person to join a big group of friends and laugh out loud while chatting in the cafeteria. He is more the quiet type and just wants to listen to music or read books.

Ryeowook choose to sit at the corner far from the other people inside the room. He placed his bag on the table and brought out his phone. Place his headset to his ears and listen to the latest music nowadays. He had nothing else to do so he leaned against the table and pretended to be busy with his notebook. Later he wrote some of his favorite lyrics on it and hummed to the song softly not wanting to distract the other people in the library.

Minutes later Ryeowook felt someone walk up behind him and sat on the farthest end of the table that he’s in. He can see the boy in his peripheral vision. The boy is obviously taller than him and he guesses that he might be a genius with his glasses on. Ryeowook turns his head back to his notebook before the boy notices him staring at him and that would be awkward. However Ryeowook never saw it but the moment he turned back the boy glanced at his direction.

 

Kyuhyun saw that there were few students present inside the room and found out that the professor was in urgent meeting so he went outside instead. He found his way to the university’s library and decided to take a look at it.

The cold air inside the room is refreshing so instead of strolling around the ground he decided to stay inside. He found an empty seat at end of the table at the back so he went there. As he sat down, it wasn’t long before he noticed the only person sitting with him at that side of the library. Most of the students were sitting in groups except for him and the boy at the end of the table.

Kyuhyun can’t help but stare at the boy. ‘He looks friendly but a shy person’ he thinks to himself. He can’t understand why he feels like he has light feelings to this stranger. It feels like déjà vu. He feels that he had met him before but he can’t think of the time when it happened. Kyuhyun wants to go and befriend this stranger but looking from his side he feels like the boy wants to be alone for now.

Sighing, Kyuhyun thinks that if they were to be friends then they will meet again. After all they’re studying in the same school right?

 

**

 

Its after a month before they see each other again after that fateful encounter at the library. Although Kyuhyun was taking up Political Science for his pre-law, no one is going stop him from joining the Musical organization in their university. It’s open for anyone interested in music, composing, performing & theater and anything related to it. At least with this one his parents finally agreed as long as he won’t be neglecting his studies.

Today was the very first meeting of all the members of the org for the school year and Kyuhyun is happy to finally meet people who share the same interests as him.  What Kyuhyun didn’t expect was he was finally going to be introduced formally to the person that will light up his boring world.

Kyuhyun was seating on one of the chairs inside the orchestra room and he’s listening to the speech of the org president when he felt someone sit beside him muttering a soft apology for being late.  He looked at the person and was surprised to see the loner library boy.

The boy also had a surprised expression on his face but quickly gave a small smile at him. Kyuhyun answered back with a smile too and after that he decided that its time for him to know this boy’s name. So looking at the petite boy he asked, “Are you a first year too?”

“Yeah, and I had lost my way here so I was late. Did I miss anything?” he replied.

“Not much. The meeting’s just starting when you came. By the way I haven’t introduced myself yet, I’m Cho Kyuhyun,” he said smiling.

“Kim Ryeowook,” the other replied. “You’re not a music student right? I haven’t seen you in my classes,”

Kyuhyun chuckled. “My course is completely not related to music. I’m studying up to be a lawyer.”

“Oh? That’s very far. But I guess your heart is still with music. You don’t seem to be excited with your course,” Ryeowook said.

“Are you a mind reader? Why do you know that? I haven’t told you about my life story yet,” Kyuhyun said amused.

“Well, let’s just say that I can read people’s emotions well,”

They fell into an awkward silence after that but Kyuhyun is determined to keep the conversation going. It didn’t matter if the president was announcing something in front. “…I guess music is your first choice right?” he asked.

Ryeowook looked at him blankly as if he didn’t understand his statement but then he shifted his gaze down to his hands. “Yeah… I liked music since I was a child and I think that I excel well in this area…”

“Why don’t look happy while saying that?” Kyuhyun knows that he is now asking his new friend with too many questions and maybe it requires a more personal answer but he can’t stop his curiosity. He just wants to know more about him.

Ryeowook stared at him with an eyebrow slightly raised. “You sound like a true lawyer right now, interrogating me…” he joked but then he decided that it wouldn’t hurt to tell him a little bit of his story. “Its my passion actually and I…. I really wanted to take a try and audition at one of the labels out there… but… but it seems like its not my fate.”

“Why do you say that? Even if you fail at one trial you could always try and try until you succeed. Do you want me to accompany you? I’ll cheer for you,” Kyuhyun was surprised himself for being comfortable talking with Ryeowook even if they have only known each other in less than thirty minutes.

Ryeowook smiled in appreciation at his friend. “Thanks but no need. I have long accepted that I’m bound to use music in ways other than standing onstage. Also, my teachers work hard in coaching me to be able to pass in here,”

Kyuhyun seems frustrated at this but he doesn’t want to force Ryeowook. Maybe there are more good things waiting for someone like them. Someone who wasn’t able to do what they really want in life.

“How about you? What’s your life story?” Ryeowook asks after telling his own story. “What makes a soon to be lawyer like you appear here?”

“Simple, I just wanted to be a singer but my parents want me to become a lawyer. I don’t really have a choice but to follow them. We have almost the same story,”

“Wow, I think we surely have many more things in common,” Ryeowook said.

Kyuhyun just smiles. He’s happy that he finally have a friend whom he can bother here while in college. His high school friends were too busy with their own lives now so he’s happy to have met Ryeowook.

Ryeowook thinks that he will get along well with Kyuhyun. He always has this light feeling to someone he likes to be a friend. He hopes Kyuhyun would want to be his friend too. And he was pleased when the other asks him if he wants to have lunch with him later, muttering about he doesn’t have close friends here yet.

And Ryeowook believes that he doesn’t have to be alone during vacant hours from this day onwards.