Unheard Confession

Destined

Chapter 8

 

 

"I'm afraid that if you look into my eyes, you'll see how much they shine for you." - Anonymous

 

 

**

 

“Ryeowook-ah it’s a surprise seeing you here! I thought you’re on vacation,” the old landlady said when she saw the boy one morning. She knows that majority of her boarders were in their hometown so she took the chance to roam around the building.

“Good morning auntie, I’m just passing by the university today,” he replied. Surely Ryeowook has something to do but he is not staying in his dorm. Its obvious by the small bag he carries. "I'll fix my enrolment but I remembered I left the documents I need at dorm so that's why I'm here,"

"Oh I see. I'm glad to see you though. I'm looking at the vacant rooms here so I can see if I will be admitting new boarders next semester."

"Did someone left?"

"The room beside you is currently vacant. I heard he is transferring school."

"Really? I didn't notice it." Ryeowook had not been so aware about the other people living there. He was not even friends with anyone. Its just that he doesn't go out most of the time and knocks on his neighbor's doors.

"Now you know. You should be expecting a new neighbor next month." After that, the landlady bid goodbye and went to continue what she was doing.

Ryeowook then headed to his university. He doesn't want to think much about his future doormates as long as the peaceful atmosphere of his dorm wouldn't be interrupted. Thankfully he occupies one room by himself and he had created his own peaceful world in it, except that sometimes his best friend comes for sleepover.

Speaking of best friends, it amazed him that he didn't hear his phone ringing today. Usually he should have received calls or messages from Kyuhyun. The other had been complaining that he misses him but Ryeowook sometimes ignore him. Well, ignoring is not the proper word to say but ever since realizing his feelings for his best friend he had restrained his actions towards Kyuhyun. He tried not to blush whenever he leans near his face or stutter whenever he acts too sweet to him.  Ryeowook was afraid that the other might discover his hidden affection so he distanced himself a little bit. It only made him realize that the two of them were so close and comfortable with each other. It only explains how others thought they were a couple or something like that.

He wished that Kyuhyun wouldn't notice because he does not know what to say if he asks why he is ignoring him. As much as possible he keeps himself busy as an excuse for him to miss his calls but they can't forever be like this. Ryeowook blames himself for falling for Kyuhyun. Thinking about it is enough to make him go crazy.

 

Of course Kyuhyun doesn't know that he is in the city right now, he purposely did not tell him. He is not yet ready to come up with explanations about his recent actions.

So Ryeowook wore a cap and constantly checking his surroundings in case Kyuhyun happens to be in the university too. Thankfully he finished his agenda that day without seeing the person that he was avoiding.

Before riding back a bus to go home, Ryeowook went to a nearby coffee shop to buy food. Even if he is not hungry right now he will be during the ride. He ordered some vanilla frappuccino with caramel and a slice of his favorite cheesecake. As he was about to leave, someone bumps him and when he looked he was surprised to see Kyuhyun's sister.

"Ryeowookie?? Oh I'm sorry I was not looking at my way," she apologized.

"Its okay noona... What are you doing here?" He didn't expect to see her in this place where its an hour away from the Cho residence. And he had also never seen Ahra going to their university so its a surprise seeing her.

"Ahh my friend lives near and I happen to visit her. Its a good thing that I saw you here today. Kyuhyun was always talking about you these days... "

Ryeowook let out an uneasy smile. "Please noona don't tell him that you saw me... He doesn't know that I am here."

"Hmmm I see...  Making him miss you? Its working you know!" Ahra laughed and pulled the younger one to an empty seat near them. "I tell you, Kyuhyun is going crazy at home thinking about you."

"Its not what you are thinking!" Ryeowook panics at the ongoing conversation but he cannot hide his flustered face from Ahra. "I... I'm just... you know, busy at home.. Kyuhyun calls or text me every time and I don't hold my phone all the time..."

"Relax Wookie... you don't need to hide it from me. As someone who sees Kyuhyun all the time I can tell that my brother likes you too..."

"..."

"I've seen how my brother changed since he met you. I admit you are a good influence for him. "

"Kyuhyun is a good friend noona... he is always willing to help and be there for me even if we have completely different schedules."

"He is clingy to the people he loves. When he was young he doesn't want to see me spend time even with my best friends. That is why I was so eager to study abroad so that I can have some independence too. Although I don't think its necessary now since his attention is not with me anymore."

Ryeowook smiled lightly. He remembered how Kyuhyun can always locate him in the university even though he did not tell him. He never had a friend like him and everything about Kyuhyun makes Ryeowook helplessly fall in love.

"Why are you telling me all of this?" he asked.

Ahra smiled. "Let's just say I want to help the two of you?" Ryeowook looked at him questioningly. "Do you like Kyuhyun?" Ahra's frankness made the other's jaw drop open in shock.

"I... I..me? You-" Ryeowook stuttered which made Ahra grin.

"I knew it! This will be interesting!"

"Noona... no... you.. I.."

Ahra held his both hands and stared directly at Ryeowook's eyes. "Dear you can tell me about it...I promise I won't tell him. Do you like him?" she asked again.

Ryeowook was blushing already and obviously Ahra can assume the answer. Her eyes twinkled in happiness when he nodded shyly. "Oh my dear...  I should call you my brother-in-law now!"

"I.. I don't think it will work out noona... Even if he knows, what will be the reaction of other people?"

"Why does other people's opinion matter in this? If you are worried about mom or dad they like you already.. Don't worry I'll take care about it for their case, I don't know about your parents though."

Ryeowook stared in disbelief at Ahra. Never did he imagined that the feelings he harbors for his best friend will result to this. He had only realized it recently and has no plans of telling other people or pursuing it. He even started denying and restraining himself from falling for him more but it seems that it was destined for him to happen.

"Don't worry Wookie, I won't let you wait that long. I will make make that brat confess to you soon. He is too coward,"

"Do you really think Kyuhyun likes me?" Ryeowook asked and although it's a stupid question he wants to hear it from Ahra herself. Out of all people, he could get the most accurate answers from Kyuhyun's sister.

"Oh you don't have to ask me that to know the answer. Did you seriously think his actions for you was purely friendship? I would bet my one year allowance to say that it isn't just friendship!"

"Seriously? I think you two realized that you love each other already. But both of you we're too afraid to take the next level... I swear your friendship will not end just because you said 'I love you's' to each other."

 

**

 

Ryeowook absemindedly poured a teaspoon of salt on the coffee he was making. He didn't notice the label and just assumed that it was sugar because it is white. Luckily Jaehyun snatched the jar of salt before the other could pour more into the cup. Ryeowook smiled apologetically.

"Are you okay? Your mind have been too preoccupied since morning...maybe you could take a break now."

"I'm fine... Thanks for your concern but I prefer to be busy right now."

"If you insist then why don't you just help auntie by serving outside? I'll take care of the kitchen now..."

Ryeowook took his apron and hairnet off before fixing his uniform and going to help serve the customers. Its been his habit to help his auntie's cafe and bakeshop since he was young so this is what he was doing during this vacation. Asice from his mother's kitchen, this is where he had practiced and perfected his skills in cooking. If he didn't took music he would probably be a culinary arts student by now.

As he went out of the kitchen he was greeted by a slightly long line of customers on the cashier. It was quite surprising that they have a lot of customers now. His auntie’s café is now growing and they have a lot of loyal customers who keeps on coming back for their favorites. They have a few workers there aside from him – Jaehyun and a lot of Ryeowook’s fellow high school friends were helping in the café. Someday his auntie will need to employ a lot more but right now she is helping these students by giving them a part time job after school.

“We have a lot of people today… what’s the occasion?” Ryeowook asked no one in particular as he approached the counter.

“The nearby town will be having a festival tomorrow and there will be a concert…” his aunt replied.

“Yes, and I heard that top boy groups will be performing for that concert. I bet these young girls are their fans,” Ryeowook’s other friend replied. True enough when he looked at the girls sitting at the corner, they were organizing their blue banners where ‘I love you super junior’ was written. Aside from that, almost everyone holds a blue balloon which probably represents the fandom of the group.

Chuckling, Ryeowook grabbed one of the trays and started serving their orders. It was an easier task than staying in the kitchen like before. He was always spacing out nowadays and its been a week since he met Ahra. He didn’t hear anything from Kyuhyun since that day nor did he receive any calls or messages. He was worried that the other got mad because he was ignoring (mostly) his calls. Maybe he was sulking because he forgot to reply to his texts. Or worst maybe Ahra told his brother about what they had talked about before, and Kyuhyun is now avoiding him. All these things crowd his thoughts that make him more anxious and nervous for the next time he will see his best friend.

Ryeowook smiled as he served the cupcakes to the girls. One of them actually thanked and asked him to come and support her beloved oppa’s performance.

“It’s a free concert; you can go and take a look if you have free time oppa,”

“Yes… and please wear something blue. We will appreciate it a lot,”

Ryeowook thanks them and excuses himself to go back to his work. As he turned his back, he was sure he heard the girls whisper about him.

“He looks cute…”

“I might have mistaken him as one of Super Junior… he looks a lot like our oppas”

“If Kibum can’t be mine then I might like him instead….”

“Did you see his nametag? What is his name?”

“I don’t know… I was too busy staring at his smile…”

Ryeowook’s face turned red upon hearing those praises about him. He is not used to these things and he didn’t even do anything to charm those girls.

“Yah Ryeowook-ah are you sick? Or are girls hitting on you again? Are you the reason why they keep coming back here?” his friend more and laughed helplessly when he became more embarrassed.

“Shut up. I was just doing my job here…” Ryeowook calmly replied and quickly escaped his friend’s teasing.

“Ryeowookie dear… can you serve this one first? It for that person, he personally requested this cake,” his auntie said pointing to the male seating alone all by himself while reading a book. Giving his aunt a nod he went towards the person.

The smell of the cheesecake he was holding was tempting Ryeowook but he can’t possibly eat that because its for their customer. Maybe he would take home some after his duty.

“Good afternoon sir, here is your order,” he greeted while smiling brightly. The person did not look away from the book he was holding and Ryeowook can’t see his face properly because he was hiding behind it. The person just motioned for him to put his order on the table so Ryeowook put it down. He was about to turn away when the person grabbed his wrist.

“Do you need anything sir?” he asked but he got no response. “Uhmm... sir I need to go back to work, you can call me later if you need some–  ” Ryeowook gasped when the person put down the book revealing his face.

“K-kyu-hyun… why are you here?”

“So you are really busy… but why didn’t you just call or text me after your work? I thought I did something to make you upset.”

“I did tell you before! You probably ignored it…” Ryeowook grumbled sitting down on the seat opposite Kyuhyun. There was an uncomfortable silence between them. The older male bowed his head because he can’t look in the other’s eyes afraid that he was mad.

One more minute had passed before the silence between them was broken. Kyuhyun stood slightly to give the other something. Ryeowook looked up to see him smiling back at him just like nothing had happened.

“I got you your favorite milktea and I hope you would share this cheesecake with me because it looks tasty. Did you make it?” Ryeowook just stared at him like he was a ghost or something. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Aren’t you just mad at me a few minutes before?”

“When did I got mad at you? Well… maybe if you don’t give me at least half of this cake like what I said…”

“But you didn’t texted me for over a week… I thought you were mad because I rarely reply to you or–”

“I thought you will miss me if I don’t call you for at least a week and honestly I was going to continue it until the opening of classes but I can’t tolerate it. So if you are really busy then I thought I’ll just come to you here…”

“I’m really sorry Kyu,”

“Oh you don’t have to apologize like that. I understand. Besides, I had been spending too much time at home so its nice to go out sometimes.”

“You’re going to stay here?”

Kyuhyun just grinned and started serving himself a slice of cheesecake.

“How did you know this café? You haven’t been here before.”

“I asked your mom,” he replied before closing his eyes. “…hmmm Ryeonggu this is delicious!”

“You actually remembered the way to our house??”

“Of course….”

Ryeowook just stared at Kyuhyun before he also took a bite on his favorite cake. And before swallowing he remembered something important. “Did Ahra told you about something?”

“Does she have something to tell me that I needed to know?”

“Ohh… no no no… Nothing. Forget what I said,” Ryeowook quickly dismissed the topic before the other had a chance to interrogate him more. Kyuhyun stared at him suspiciously before eating again.

Ryeowook watched him while eating and he couldn't help but smile at the scene in front of him. Kyuhyun looked like a kid while enjoying his cake and it didn't matter to Ryeowook if he had already eaten 3 slices. He is willing to share it to him anyway.

"Open your mouth..."

"Huh?" Ryeowook asked confused but then he saw Kyuhyun leaning to feed him a spoonful of sweets.

"I can eat by mys–" He took the opportunity to force the food to him. "Yah! Itstoomany!"

"Just chew it!! You look cute like that," Kyuhyun laughed and grabbed a tissue to wipe the crumbs left on Ryeowook's lips. Seeing him closer, Kyuhyun eyes were mesmerized by the older one's features. There was something inside him that wants to kiss that pout on Ryeowook's lips. They were left in an awkward silence while staring at each other, neither had the courage to talk first.

"Uhmm excuse me Ryeowookie..." somebody called his name and he turned to see Jaehyun with a worried face. It was enough for Ryeowook to remember that he should be doing his duty today instead of seating there and helplessly staring in the eyes of Kyuhyun. "OH MY GOD... i forgot... what is it? Is there something wrong??" he stood up abruptly.

"Relax... there's nothing wrong actually. I just want to ask favor. We run out of sugar and we already called the supplier but they will deliver it tomorrow... The problem is we need it now..."

"You want me to go to the supermarket? Sure, I can go now..." Ryeowook turned back to Kyuhyun. "Will you be fine by yourself here? I'll see you later..."

"No. I'll go with you,"

"Eh? But... fine. By the way, Kyuhyun this is Jaehyun, my friend since middle high. Jae, this is Kyu, the one I'm talking about."

"I've heard a lot of things about you from Ryeowookie..." Jaehyun said causing Ryeowook to hit him hard on the arm. He just stared back knowingly at him with a teasing smile on his face.

"Nice meeting you," Kyuhyun smiled not catching the teasings exchanged between the two. Jaehyun excused himself immediately and went back in kitchen while Ryeowook urged Kyuhyun to pack the remaining cake so they can eat it later.

 

**

 

"So where do you plan to take me tomorrow?" Kyuhyun asked while the two were walking from the supermarket. He was carrying the stuffs they bought from the supermarket. Meanwhile Ryeowook was holding the umbrella for the two of them. The sun was still shining brightly as the flowers bloom indicating what the current season was.

"Did we plan something for tomorrow?" Ryeowook's eyebrows rose.

"I purposely went here for you..."

"I have to be in the cafe tomorrow,"

"I asked your auntie to give you day-off,"

Ryeowook stopped walking and looked at him in surprise. "You talked to her already?" And there he realized why his auntie had asked him to serve his order first before the others who were already there before him.

"You're a stalker..."

"Sue me for wanting to go out with my best friend," he grumbled.

“…”

"There's a festival tomorrow evening at the nearby town. We can go watch if you want..."

"You're really spending it tomorrow with me?" Kyuhyun smiles immediately. Ryeowook didn't need to answer him because no matter what he says Kyuhyun would still insist whatever he wants.

Ryeowook stares at smiling Kyuhyun and he finds himself smiling back. These things can already be considered a date...except that between them its a friendly date. He hopes that he won't be too obvious because whenever he looks at him in the eyes, it shows the feelings that he tries to hide.

 

**

 

Kyuhyun and Ryeowook spent the following day roaming around the city trying to find the best restaurants and tasting their specialties. Actually it was Kyuhyun’s idea since all Ryeowook wants to do was to go to the movie house and watch some romantic stuff or go visiting the giraffes in the zoo. They moved from one restaurant to another while satisfying their cravings. In fact, Kyuhyun had taken a picture of every food he ate to show his sister when he goes back.

“She will be jealous when she sees this. She wants to go on a food trip too but her friends prefer to go shopping,”

“Then we should invite her next time we go out to eat. Don’t we?”

“NO WAY! You two will get along well and leave me alone if that happens. I’d rather have you by myself…”

“But your sister looks fun to be with,”

“She’s boring,” Kyuhyun rolls his eyes and pulls Ryeowook. “Is this view okay to you or do you want to go a little closer?”

“Its fine here. I don’t want to go deaf with all the fangirls screaming right behind my ears.” The two went to the farthest side and its enough for them to see what was happening on stage. There was a big screen so it was fine for them and they can hear the music anyway.

The crowd was already going wild cheering for the current performers. The concert started by the time they arrived. It was Ryeowook who insisted they should come because Kyuhyun would have gone to the next restaurant on his list. His friend really has a big appetite and he was already full so he needed to make him stop.

“Those girls… how can they scream like that without hurting their throat?” Ryeowook asked leaning on railings behind them.

“But you can sing a high note like that right?” Ryeowook smacked Kyuhyun’s arm while the younger laughs.

“Quit teasing me! My stomach hurts every time I laugh... I ate too much today. I probably won't eat tomorrow."

"Stop dieting. Your body is good already,"

"It is because I take care of myself well. I don't want to gain weight anymore."

"Whatever,  you're still perfect to me..." Kyuhyun said softly but the other didn't catch it as the screams of the fans grew louder. The main artists for that night finally came out on the stage.

"They promoted that song for months now. Shouldn't they release a new one by now?" Kyuhyun commented.

"Dancing Out and U? Yeah, but it was fun to listen to. I bet they will have a new album soon..." Ryeowook looked wistfully at the 12 member group. He could have been there too but the time wasn't ripe yet. Maybe in the future he will have better opportunities.

"Are you a fan of them?"

"A little? They look cool actually. It must be fun to be in a large group like them. How about you, do you know them?"

"I'll be honest... I do listen to their songs but not much."

"Really? I should make you sing some of their songs. You can sing for me and I'll be your number one fan!" Ryeowook tries to lift Kyuhyun's spirits up. He knows that sometimes his friend thinks of his past failures.

Kyuhyun wraps his arms on the smaller one's shoulder and leans closer to him. He didn't said anything but he wanted to let the other feel his gratitude for being with him always.

In the midst of their comfortable position Kyuhyun felt Ryeowook suppress his laugh. "Hey why are you laughing?"

"I just imagined something..."

"What is that about?"

"I imaged you dancing to U..." Ryeowook said giggling.

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows. "What is funny about that?"

Ryeowook pulled away from Kyuhyun and contemplated whether he would voice out what he is thinking at the moment.

"I think you will look stiff when you dance..." he laughed while taking a step backwards.

Kyuhyun stepped forward with his arms ready to attack Ryeowook's sides. "What did you say?"

"Hey... wait don't d– ahahah! Kyu! Stop!" Kyuhyun tackled him into a big hug while attacking the parts where he is ticklish. Ryeowook tried to pull away but the taller man's grip was stronger and he doesn't have the strength to fight back. He laughed while pleading for Kyuhyun to stop.

The two were obviously in their own world and the sounds of fans screaming their fanchants was forgotten. Kyuhyun loved to hear the sound of Ryeowook's laughter and when their eyes met briefly he found himself gazing at him. Its like he was put into a spell.

He stopped tickling him which made Ryeowook look up in curiosity. It only made him realize how close their position was. Few inches away and he could already kiss his lips. Although Kyuhyun had stopped moving, his hands were still around the smaller's waist.

"Ryeonggu..."

"Hmm?"

"I want to say something..."

"Go on... I'm listening,"

"But I'm afraid you will get mad at me or something..."

"You know I can't tolerate not talking to you... I'm your best friend so tell me..." Ryeowook urged him. He can see the hesitation in Kyuhyun's face but he cannot read what he wants to say.

Kyuhyun gulped. It was his fault that they were in this awkward situation now. The place and event wasn't ideal for what he was about to say but since the atmosphere is like this, he thinks he should say something now.

"I... promise me you won't get mad at me huh?" Ryeowook nodded eagerly. "Ryeonggu... I...I... you know...I think I–" his last words were overpowered by the loud sounds produced by the fireworks which signals the ending of the concert. Ryeowook looked at the stage only realizing that they missed the last part.

"Its finished already..." he said to himself and looked up at the sky to watch the firework display. "Look up Kyu... its beautiful isn't it?" he asked, his eyes reflects the lights up in the sky.

Kyuhyun looks at him instead, knowing that the view beside him is more beautiful than any of those flowers or stars combined. He shakes his head and chuckles lightly at his interrupted speech. Surely the other would ask about it later and he will probably come up with a lie again, having his courage gone quickly. He wishes that he won't remember it until he finds the perfect time to say it again.

And he hopes that next time Ryeowook hears it clearly.