Time Apart

Destined

 

"Time and distance is a test of unyielding love."

 - Anon

 

**

 

The holidays passed by quickly and soon it is time to go back to reality – to the busy life of being a college student. Ryeowook had come to prepare himself for the final year of college. They always say that the last is the hardest part and now he is actually starting to feel it. Amongst the nonstop requirements he needs to finish in order to pass, it isn’t helping that he gets lesser time for himself. Even for Kyuhyun, he doesn’t get to spend time with him and just occasionally see him at dorm.

Kyuhyun has his own hectic schedule and even if he wants to hang-out with him, he can’t disturb him when he is doing his research work. If months ago they were still able to spend time studying together, nowadays when he goes to his room he finds Kyuhyun asleep on top of his law books. He doesn’t have the heart to wake him up and take away the only form of rest his lover can have.

Their schedules does not match at all because once the deadline had passed and Kyuhyun was free he starts his practicum which usually take Ryeowook’s whole day schedule. Kyuhyun, still being the sweet boyfriend as he is, slips post-it notes on his door to tell him mushy notes. It automatically makes his lover smile despite not seeing him first thing in the morning.

 

‘When will be your next free time? Let’s go on a date, it’s been a long time :)'

 

Ryeowook stared at the note while waiting for their professor in class. He had found this note on his door when he opened it this morning. Apparently, Kyuhyun was not around because he has an earlier class than him.

“You two are so cute sending these love messages to each other when there’s only a wall that separates your rooms,” Jinsun mused when he leaned in to read the note.

Ryeowook sighed and slipped the note inside his book. “Yes, we live next to each other but it doesn’t mean we have to see each other’s faces always.”

“Oh that’s new?”  Jinsun said slightly surprised. “I thought you two were inseparable. It turned worst when you became a couple last year. I seriously thought you were already living in one room.”

“We are sometimes, but not today when I’m doing our practicum and he is in the middle of his thesis writing. He just got a short break now I think,”

“But still I think those notes are cute… is it better than sending text messages to each other?”

“It’s like writing a love letter you know? There’s more effort in doing this and the excitement you feel when you see a note posted in your door or anywhere else… it makes me smile,”

“Oh I don’t know about you two…. Should I find a girlfriend already???”

“Wait until you graduate… you will have more time for that next year…” he advised before straightening himself since the professor arrived already.

Their professor only gave a brief lecture for that day since he said that he will be having an important discussion with some selected students. Ryeowook was one of the students called to stay behind so he unwillingly bid goodbye to Jinsun who went off to eat his lunch.

“Our department received an invitation for our students for a seminar and 2 months workshop from this famous music school in Japan. Our university is grateful that we are one of those universities here in Korea to be chosen,” their professor started to explain.

“I called some of you in this meeting to inform you that you are the students chosen for this once in a lifetime opportunity. It will be a great way to enhance more your talents since foreign artists will be training you,” he looked at each of the students and Ryeowook feels excited for the said news. “More details of this will be posted in a few days and the university will be giving out letters to your parents. However, I suggest you inform them as early as now that you guys will be going to Japan.”

“Sir when is this happening?”

“Three weeks from now…”

“And for these two months all of you will stay in Japan. There will be a place designated for you as a dorm. You will train and gather more experience as an aspiring young artist.”

Ryeowook felt giddy for this rare experience being given to him. He can’t wait to tell his parents about it and surely they will feel happy for him too. However, his heart drops when he remembers that there is someone who will surely be missing his presence once he goes. And how will Ryeowook break the news to him?

For sure his lover will be supportive of him but he doesn’t know how the extent of his feelings will be now that time has put a great pressure on their relationship.

And for the rest of the day Ryeowook had nothing to think but Kyuhyun’s name in his mind.

 

**

 

“I’m so happy for you dear. You should have told me it is good news so that I brought your father,” Mrs. Kim said few days later when she came to visit her son in his dorm. Ryeowook called his parents previously asking them to visit him and he has something to tell them. His dad was willing to come but last minute calls from his work prevented him from joining his wife all the way to Seoul.

“I’m sorry mom for calling you suddenly. I should be the one going home to tell you personally but I can’t find a free time to do so. And I don’t want to do it via call,” he said as they were talking and eating at his small dining table.

“It’s okay, we understand. Besides I don’t have anything to do at home so I prefer visiting you here. I even brought homemade foods for you and Kyuhyun to eat since I know that the two of you were so drained by the senior year life.”

Ryeowook smiled at his mom’s thoughtfulness. He had been missing his mom’s affection since he started living away from home.

“Thank you mom,”

Mrs. Kim smiled gently and observed the dorm’s small kitchen which was now rarely used because Ryeowook now relies on fastfood for convenience. She noticed the lack of foods stacked in the small cabinets which she compared to the items inside their refrigerator back at home. Her motherly side shows as she worries if her son is eating properly and taking care of himself.

“I am happy that you’re doing well in your school but I am worried that you’re forgetting about yourself,” she stated. “Honestly, I was relieved to know that Kyuhyun is here also but he can’t always be here to check that you are eating properly on time and stuffs like that. Son, it’s making me worried if you’re going to be fine there by yourself.”

“I will be fine mom, I promise. And I was eating all the time… those cabinets are empty just because I don’t have time to buy groceries.”

“I am really okay mom…” he whined lightly.

She observed his son and finally gave in, trusting him that he will take care of himself while away from home again. “Have you told Kyuhyun about it?”

Ryeowook shakes his head and looks down on his plate, playing the food with his fork.

“Why? When are you planning to tell him? You are going in a few weeks already…”

“He would be sad… I think. He purposely grabbed a dorm beside mine just to be near me and now I’m going away,”

“But he will understand your reasons... besides, it’s just two months. You are still coming back here.”

“…”

“Ryeowook-ah…you should be telling him important things about this. If you are afraid that the distance will put a strain in your relationship, please don’t be. I can see that Kyuhyun loves you so much to let go.”

“I…actually I am planning to tell him tonight mom… it’s just that we haven’t seen each other much lately. I don’t want this to cause a problem.”

“You two haven’t been separated from each right? It will be fine dear…” she takes Ryeowook’s hands and squeezes it. “It’s just one of the many things that will happen in your relationship. Trust him my dear…”

 

That night Ryeowook waited for Kyuhyun in his room. He was very anxious about his reactions and in the middle of waiting he even prepared some foods for him. He didn’t cook but it helps that his mom cooked the foods which were Kyuhyun’s favourites.

Ryeowook curled up on the bed while looking at the wall clock. Time is really slow when you are waiting but once he heard the soft click of the door his heart starts beating fast again. He is here finally and he should have formed in his mind the explanation that he will tell later.

The lights so he started to walk from behind the corner. Kyuhyun's back was facing him so he tiptoed and embraced him from behind. Initially he was surprised but he immediately relaxed when he recognized the warmth of Ryeowook’s embrace. They stayed like that for awhile before Kyuhyun turned to face the other to hug him properly.

“Is there something wrong?” Kyuhyun asked. He felt the other shake his head against his chest.

“I just missed you… I missed being beside you and doing nothing,” the older of the two said.

“Me too… But I think we could have a date on the next long weekend, don’t you think?” Ryeowook stiffened but he didn’t make it obvious to Kyuhyun. Instead he pulled away and led him to the table where the food was awaiting them.

“Mom dropped by here this morning and she sent us this food. I bet you missed her cooking,” he smiled and grabbing some plates from the cabinet.

“Oh really? I should have eaten lunch here if I knew it,”

“It’s okay. Mom knows you’re at school,”

“Hmmm… this smells delicious. Cooking talent really runs in your family.” Ryeowook just smiled and stared at him while eating. “Why are you not eating?”

“I’m still full,” he said. There was a brief silence and Ryeowook took it as a cue to start the conversation.

“Kyukyu… I have something to tell you actually,”

“Mmm… what is it?”

“Our professor told us something a few days ago. The university was choosing students to send for a seminar and workshop… our department actually uhmmm… I was one of those students…” he was lost at the words he was supposed to say but he hoped Kyuhyun understood it.

“That’s great Ryeonggu! It will be a good opportunity for you! Where will it be?”

“It will be in Japan… for two months…” Ryeowook replied looking down at his lap. The silence compelled him to look up and see what his lover’s reaction was. “Are you okay with it?” he asked in a soft voice.

“Of course…why not?”

“Because I will be going away and we will not see each other for two months. I barely saw you these past weeks and now this happens…”

“Ryeonggu…of course I will be missing you but I shouldn’t be stopping you from achieving your dreams. It’s just two months okay?”

He nodded but still feeling sad about it. Maybe it’s because Ryeowook was used to his presence near him. Even though he don’t see him always, knowing that he is nearby or at the room calms his heart. Seeing that Ryeowook was still not smiling, Kyuhyun pulled his chair closer to him and began feeding his lover with the food he eats.

“Come on smile now Ryeonggu… we rarely have these moments together,” he pouts which is a rare sight for his lover. “I will kiss you if you don’t smile…”

Ryeowook raised his eyebrow. “Fine… then I won’t smile. You haven’t kissed me yet since you arrived.” Instantly Kyuhyun dropped the spoon he was holding and stole a kiss from Ryeowook.

“Is that all?”

“You’re a little impatient tonight sweetie…”

“I waited for this…” Ryeowook pouted. “You didn’t miss me?”

Kyuhyun didn’t respond. Instead, he cupped Ryeowook’s face and gently kissing him. He conveyed through that kiss all his sentiments about missing his lover. If words are not enough then he will prove it through his actions.

The long weeks of missing each other was forgotten as they spent the whole night proving that their love for each other hadn’t changed despite not spending much time with each other. It doesn’t matter if tomorrow they will be back again facing those deadlines, because for now all it matters was the two of them and their love for each other.

 

**

 

The night before his flight to Japan, Ryeowook lay down on his bed thinking of Kyuhyun. He was currently at his parents in order to organize his things and also to spend time with them. And tomorrow by morning they will accompany him to the airport where he will also be seeing Kyuhyun.

 He heard the soft beep of his phone and he looked at it to see a text message from his lover.

‘Still awake?’ – Kyukyu <3

Smiling, Ryeowook typed a message back to him.

‘Yup. You’re keeping me awake.’ – My Ryeonggu

Ryeowook waited for his reply but his phone received a call instead so he answered it.

“I prefer hearing your voice…” the deep voice from the other line said.

“Me too…” Ryeowook rolled on to his side to hug his pillow while his other hand holds the phone. “You sure you’re coming tomorrow?”

“Of course! I need to see you before you go… do you really need to ask me that?”

“But you will be absent… didn’t I tell you before you shouldn’t ditch school because of me?”

“Just this time… don’t you want to see me?”

“I do…”

“Then I will come…” Kyuhyun assured him. “You should be resting now. You have a long day tomorrow Ryeonggu. Look what time it is now 11pm,”

“I knoooow…but let me listen to your voice tonight until I fall asleep. I will miss it. Long distance calls are expensive…”

“Email me then. And I will miss you more Ryeonggu. I think I will be spending the nights on your bed so that I won’t be so lonely.”

“Awww that so sweet Kyu… can you clean the room too for me?” he giggled.

“If you want then fine…” Kyuhyun laughs lightly. “I love you Ryeonggu,”

Ryeowook knows by the tone of his lover’s voice that he will fall asleep soon. And he also knows that he can’t rob him the time to sleep especially that he is tired from school. Reluctantly, he ends the conversation although he still doesn’t feel sleepy at all.

“I love you too Kyu…”

“See you tomorrow… Sleep tight okay?”

Ryeowook hummed in response and waited until the call ended before he buried his face under the covers. It will be a long night for him.

 

 

“Ryeowookiee dear… it’s time to wake up now or you will miss your flight,” the gentle voice of his mother awakened him hours later after finally falling asleep at 2am in the morning. Ryeowook unwillingly got up from his bed with the guide of his mom to take a shower. He was only fully awakened when the cold water from the shower hit his skin and he immediately took a quick bath before going down to the dining room to eat.

He met his parents downstairs and they shared a hearty breakfast before they crowded in the family car and headed to the airport. Ryeowook was abnormally quiet along the way and until they arrived at the airport. He kept checking his phone for any texts or calls from Kyuhyun but got nothing.

“We still have time dear… he will surely come,” his mother said after noticing her son’s worry. Ryeowook sighed and sat down on one of the empty chairs while waiting.

“Is this the only luggage you will bring?” Mr. Kim asked.

“Yes, dad. I put everything in it already.”

“It’s only two months honey… he doesn’t need to bring the whole cabinet for this,”

“You’re exaggerating as always!” his father laughed and the two continued to talking stuffs in which Ryeowook didn’t bother to listen.

Time passed by and Ryeowook needs to check in already. He half-heartedly bid goodbye to his parents, giving each of them a long hug.

“Mom, I will miss sooo much… you too dad, please take care always,” he said looking sincerely at the eyes of his dear parents who raised him.

“We will be fine son… it’s you who should be taking care of himself always. Update us when you get there okay?”

He nods and he was about to grab his luggage and turn his back when he sees Kyuhyun running from a distance. His eyes lit up in recognition he automatically smiles. When Kyuhyun reached them he was still catching his breath from running.

“Ryeongguu… I’m sorry … I’m late…”

“Dear, you’re on time…” Ryeowook’s mom smiles and tugs her husband’s hand. “I think we should give the two some private hon.” The two bid last goodbyes to Ryeowook and went to their car outside. Now Ryeowook faced Kyuhyun and he tackles him into a bone-crushing hug.

“I thought I wouldn’t see today…” Ryeowook’s voice is muffled by the coat Kyuhyun was wearing. His lover reciprocates by hugging him tightly, not minding if the other people were staring at them.

“I said I would come…” he kissed his forehead and stares at his eyes. “I was close to not seeing you…”

“Kyukyu I will miss you really…” Ryeowook’s eyes sparkle in tears but he prevents it from falling. He doesn’t want to act like a girl, moreover like spoiled baby. It’s just two months so he should be acting strong like how his lover was taking it. It bothers him too much that Kyuhyun seems more fine than him about this thing.

Kyuhyun somehow understands his lover’s sentiments just by looking into his eyes so to erase all the doubts and worries from him he leans to give him a reassuring kiss. It was gentle and loving like their other kisses but more emotions were put into it. Kyuhyun kissed him longer than he planned but still it wasn’t enough for them when they pulled apart. However, Ryeowook really needed to go since all his classmates were already inside the airport.

“I need to go Kyu…”

Kyuhyun squeezes his hands before bringing up t his face to kiss it. “Take care always. I love you so much, always remember that okay?”

“I know… I love you to Kyukyu… wait for me,”

Kyuhyun kisses him once again before letting go and watches his lover walking away from him until he was out of sight. These two months will be hard for him to concentrate at his school works now that he will be always thinking of his lover.

 

**

 

Ryeowook settled fine in Japan and although he was still feeling homesick for being so far from home for the first time, he is attending the workshops and enjoying it. He was thankful that he was friends with some of his company there and he wouldn’t feel so alone at all times.

His daily schedules are like his normal schedule at school so it doesn’t make any difference to him as he used to the daily vocal practices. When he first called his parents back in Incheon, he animatedly described the place and he said he really like Japan now. It is his first glimpse of other country and it seems to be memorable to him already.

He also called Kyuhyun and his lover was relieved to hear from his voice that he doesn’t look worried now unlike when they bid each other goodbye. They’ve relayed all the untold events of their lives in the few minutes that they were able to talk to.

 Nothing is new in Kyuhyun’s life except that he is dealing his thesis without his inspiration by his side. It also stresses him that his groupmates aren’t helping him but he is too nice to release his anger. Although he feels that his temper is running out because Ryeowook wasn’t there to calm his mind.

Day by day each of them lived their busy life and soon the communication got lesser and lesser until only missed calls were received. Ryeowook have been guilty that sometime he forgot to call at night when he know Kyuhyun is at home but sometimes he was also afraid that he will be disturbing him while in the middle of studying. Kyuhyun also cursed himself when he sees the missed calls on his phone and is tempted on not to put his phone into silent mode.

When finally their time matched with each other Ryeowook’s heart beat wildly when the phone call got connected.

“Hello?” a sleepy voice answered. Ryeowook guessed that he might have awakened the other but he knew that Kyuhyun is still awake at this time of the night.

“Kyukyu…” he cheerful greeted his lover.

“Oh Ryeonggu… I’m sorry I didn’t see who was calling and I fell asleep on my table,” he apologized. Ryeowook understood since he had witnessed this always with his own eyes.

“Hmmm they you should be glad I called or else you would be drooling on your books now,” he laughed and he could hear Kyuhyun’s as well.

“I don’t drool okay?”

“I’ve seen it! You drooled on my pillow the last time we slept together!” Ryeowook kept himself from laughing too much, afraid that his roommates will be awakened.

“Why are we talking about drool here? It’s the first time we talked since last week…come on tell me stories…” he said.

“What do I tell you? …Hmmm…” Ryeowook thinks for a while. “Oh right, I’ve composed another song here few days ago. It’s actually inspired by you since you don’t answer my calls. But don’t worry I don’t hold a grudge,”

“Let me listen to it when you come back okay? And about those calls, you know that I always put my phone into silent mode when I’m at school…” he explained. “I forgot to turn it back when I get home…”

“Hmmm…”

“Are you mad?”

“No…of course not… Why would I be mad?”

“You’re quiet…”

“I was just thinking of you. I’m imagining your face while I’m talking to you at the phone,”

“Same here…” Kyuhyun got up from his seat and went to lie down on his bed. “What are you doing now Ryeonggu?”

“Nothing, I just ate dinner a while ago so I don’t want to sleep yet. How about you? I guess you’re studying for some exam?”

“No… I’m just studying minus the exams,” he laughs lightly and yawns.

“You’re sleepy…I should put down the phone now,”

“But don’t you want to talk more to me? It’s okay to sleep late for me tonight,”

“Kyu…oh I forgot I need to get early tomorrow. We an early schedule and I don’t want to be late… should I sleep now?”

“You’re not telling me that because you just heard me yawn now and want me to go sleep right?”

“No. I promise, I swear we hav– ”

“Okay, okay… I believe you. I’m just kidding,” Kyuhyun closes his eyes and but he is still awake enough to hear the voice speaking from the line. Although he feels that his body is starting to give in, he doesn’t want to cut off his lover while he is talking.

Ryeowook sensed the silence from the other line so he assumes that he should hang-up now. “Kyukyu, let’s talk some other time okay? Have a good night sleep. I love you…”

He listened to the phone but he only heard the soft snores from his lover indicating that he had already fallen asleep despite his denials a few seconds ago. Although disappointed that he hadn’t got to hear his lover say the words back, he know that Kyuhyun loves him. It’s just that he is too tired. He should understand that.

Finding nothing to do anymore, Ryeowook went to his own bed and tried to get his own sleep. His last thoughts were about the person who owns his heart.

 

**

 

A/N It took me a long time to update...I'm sorryyyy. I was busy but I wouldn't let this one week holiday to pass by without updating this.  (To my best friend who urged me to update this, your birthday is near... ano na plano? ^^ miss na kita, let's meet plss)