Hide and Seek

Destined

 

"Close your eyes if it hurts, but what matters the most is that you listen to your heart.”

 

**

It’s almost a week since the incident and Ryeowook has been avoiding Kyuhyun. It was a game of hide and seek between them as Ryeowook stayed most of the time hiding in Jinsun’s room. His friend was surprised that day when he came knocking to his room with a bag full of his stuffs.

“Are you stupid? Why don’t you go back to your room? It’s yours so you can just kick him out if you don’t want to see him,”

“I don’t want to talk to him at the moment. Please just let me stay here during the night. I will not bother you that much,” Ryeowook pleaded to him. And being the good friend he is, Jinsun let him stay there for as long as he wants.

Jinsun became the wall and messenger between the two since Kyuhyun also found him and began pestering him of Ryeowook’s whereabouts. There’s no need to deny anything since Kyuhyun knows that his beloved is with his friend right now. In fact he is frustrated of how Ryeowook avoids him every time he goes to their department.

“A student said he was here a while ago Jinsun,” Kyuhyun insisted one day when he skipped his class in order to catch Ryeowook. They knew each other’s class schedule so he needed to use different measures just to see him.

“Yes he is, but he is busy right now. Practices for the graduation rites are ongoing. You should come at different time Kyuhyun,”

“I tried that already. One time I caught him going to the library but he saw me and immediately ran away. How can I talk to him please?”

In Jinsun’s mind, he wants to tell Kyuhyun to come in his room tonight and fix whatever misunderstandings he has with Ryeowook. But a part of his mind tells him that he shouldn’t be interfering with the two. Besides, Ryeowook might be angry if he tells Kyuhyun his hideout.

“I think he will come around after some time. Just give him space, right now he got a lot of things in his mind these days.”

“I wish he’d tell me about it. He knows I’m slow at catching things up,” Kyuhyun grumbled. Jinsun just patted his shoulder sympathetically.

“Go and attend your class Kyu. If Ryeowook knows you’ve been skipping he will not be impressed,” he advised. And so Kyuhyun walked back dejectedly to his next class.

 

“He looked so sad Wookie," Jinsun said in a gentle tone which signalled Ryeowook to come out from hiding behind the corner of the room. "Did you saw how sorry he is?"

"I'm not really mad at him right now and I think I'm ready to hear whatever explanations he has," Ryeowook said his face with unreadable expression.

"Then go after him. Don't prolong this torture between the two of you,"

"But there's more that I can't tell him or rather, I'm afraid to tell him right now. I can't stay here in the city after graduation,"

"He'll understand,"

Ryeowook had second thoughts about it. Could their relationship survive another distance? Could he withstand the nights where he will be thinking if another girl tries to flirt with Kyuhyun?

He trusts him but he can't help being insecure. He is afraid that one day Kyuhyun would grow tired of him.

"He'd been whining a lot about me moving out before our fight,"

"Tell him you need to take care of your grandma. He would understand your reasons for sure. You'll come back when she's fine right?"

"I don't know about that... i don't know,"

 

**

 

Kyuhyun lay on Ryeowook's bed inhaling the sweet scent of his lover whom he missed dearly. He came to sleep every night on his bed hoping that if somewhere in the middle of the night his lover would decide to come back he would be there to see him. But he never came back. Or maybe Ryeowook didn't try to come back when he knows that Kyuhyun was inside his room. He doesn't want to see him afterall.

Kyuhyun embraced the pillow pretending that it was Ryeowook. He missed those hugs they shared as they fall asleep in bed. He missed waking up to Ryeowook's smile. When was the last time they had fun together? For him it felt long ago.

He wished to talk to him and lay out all worries they forgot to tell each other. They used to do this together before but as their schedule became tight, their time together became less frequent.

He rolled on the bed trying to fall asleep but failed and his eyes wandered on the small room, trying to look for something that will bother him that night. His eyes landed on the sticky notes on the side table. Kyuhyun got up from the bed and decided to write the things he wants to say to Ryeowook on the sticky notes. Ryeowook will probably see it when he comes to check in his room.

‘Why didn’t I do this before?’ Kyuhyun thought as he remembered the time when they exchanged sweet notes through it. He wondered why he stopped doing those things.

 

“Ryeonggu, please don’t ignore me. I really missed you now and I soooo sorry of whatever wrong I did,”

“I only love you. No one else. She’s just an annoying classmate of mine. I’m sorry if I didn’t tell you. She’s not important,”

“I love you Ryeonggu. Please come back,”

“Are you still mad? Please forgive me,”

“Answer my calls please,”

“Or maybe you should answer me back with these sticky notes. If you don’t I will post a lot of these in your room until everything is covered with sticky notes. I’m not joking,”

 

Satisfied with his writings, he posted all of it on Ryeowook’s front door. Surely it will catch his attention when he sneaks in tomorrow morning. So for now he would just try to have a decent sleep before he needs to get up for class again.

 

**

 

When he was sure that Kyuhyun was not around, Ryeowook tiptoes back to his room to take some of his books and clothes since he running out of clean clothes at his friend’s. He was surprised to see the notes stuck on his door. He took it and read one by one when he was inside.

Ryeowook was not mad anymore and was ready to forgive him when his mother called him back home. She was asking for him to go back after graduation to take care of his sick grandmother. Ryeowook knows he can’t say no especially to his family but it only means that he will be postponing any plans he has after graduation. He can’t possibly be going back and forth from home every day that would be tiring. He thinks it would create another distance between him and Kyuhyun.

He saw the sticky note that Kyuhyun used so he thought that maybe its time to break the cold war between them. So he took it and wrote something before sticking on Kyuhyun’s front door.

 

“What is her name? Are you classmates at all subjects? Do you see her every day?”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“…and I’m not jealous at her -___- don’t you dare think of anything else,”

“I’m just asking,”

 

**

 

“Oh what’s with the stupid smile on your face? Something good happened?” Minhyun asked since the smile on Kyuhyun’s face cannot be erased since he saw him that day. Kyuhyun shoved a piece of paper on his friends face. It must be the reason why he is in good mood.

“You are back as live-in boyfriends again?”

“No. I still can’t see him but look he answered me!! He finally answered me!!!” Kyuhyun grinned excitedly.

“He is cute when he is jealous,”

“Don’t let Wook hear you say that or else he will not talk to you again,”

“I know. I’ve learned my lessons,” Kyuhyun said as he scribbles a reply on another sticky note.

 

“Hyeri’s just my research groupmate and it’s you that I want to see every day,” Nice one Kyuhyun. Minhyun chuckled when he read it.

“Come back to me pleaseeeeee,”

 

**

 

“NO.”

 

“You’re wasting papers Wookie. Why don’t you just say that to him personally?” Jinsun rolled his eyes when he saw the two letter word Ryeowook wrote on the note.

“I don’t want to,”

“Why?”

“Just because…” said Ryeowook.

Jinsun can only scratch his head and sigh at the two.

 

**

 

"Are you sure that is all he said?" Minhyun said.

"There is only one paper attached on my door when I arrived," Kyuhyun grumbled. "Maybe he is mad again at me,"

"Maybe somebody was messing with you and took the notes before you could see them,"

"It can't be... "

 

"Ryeonggu i'm going to see you. Please don't run away from me this time," Kyuhyun scribbled, feeling a little impatient now.

 

**

 

"Is it true that you're going away? Do you really have plans to to show your face to me before you go or are you just playing games with me now?"

"Tell me if you still want to fix us,"

 

Ryeowook almost dropped the books he was holding when he saw those notes on his door one night. So far he didn't tell anything about it to Kyuhyun. Who could have slipped it up to him?

Whatever. No need to deny now that he knows it.

 

"I'm going right after graduation next week Kyuhyun,"

 

**

 

After reading the last note, Kyuhyun didn't bother replying back. He doesn't know what to tell him, besides, he can't force him to stay. Right now all he wants is to see and talk to him again.

But how?

 

'It's your fault in the first place Kyuhyun.' A voice at the back of his mind tells him.

 

**

 

Flashes of camera and warm words of congratulations can be heard among the crowd of graduating students together with their proud parents. The graduation ceremony of the music department will be held today and so Ryeowook's parents had come to congratulate him.

"It's the day you've been waiting for honey," his mother smiled giving him a bouquet of congratulatory flowers.

"Thanks mom, dad. I'm glad you came," he smiled but not as bright as the other students around him.

“Of course we wouldn’t miss it!”

Ryeowook posed for pictures with his family and friends but his mind is on Kyuhyun. He wonders what the other was doing at the moment. He wished he would see him today at this special event but he can’t blame him if he has important stuffs to do.

“I’m sorry honey if we have to borrow you right after your graduation. Someone has to look out for your grandma and you know that your father and I can’t leave our work,” his mom whispered sensing the sad expression of her son.

“Mom no need to say sorry. I would volunteer myself even if you didn’t say it,”

“We’re going tomorrow. Isn’t he going to see you today? Isn’t he going to say goodbye?”

‘It’s not yet goodbye’ Ryeowook thought in his mind. Although he doesn’t have a clear plan of the future, he knows he doesn’t want to say goodbye to Kyuhyun.

“He already congratulated me before mom,” he lied since he had been avoiding Kyuhyun ever since their fight.

His mom didn’t press him for more as Ryeowook was dragged away by his friends asking for more photos. Ryeowook tried his best to look good and smile a bit for them.

“Your smile looks weird,” Jinsun .

Ryeowook rolled his eyes. “Don’t start with me today. I’m not in the mood Jinsun,”

“Don’t sulk like that, someone wouldn’t like to see you frowning,”

Ryeowook ignored him and he looked at his phone instead when it began to ring. Kyuhyun was calling so he went away to a quiet place to answer it. He decided that he will talk to him for now... just for today.

“Finally you answered my call,” Kyuhyun greeted. There’s a hint of joy in his voice.

“You’re supposed to be in class right now isn’t it?”

“Yup. But I’m done now,”

“Oh…okay,”

“Turn around,” Kyuhyun ordered and Ryeowook saw him walking towards him holding a bouquet of flowers.

“For you,” he said smiling. “Congratulations, I’m sorry, I missed you and I love you all in one,” he said referring to the flowers.

Ryeowook accepted it shyly but with a faint smile on his face. “Thanks,”

“So…”

“What?”

“Are you really leaving tomorrow?”

Ryeowook didn’t meet his eyes and looked down at the flowers instead.

“I’m not saying goodbye to you…”

“I know. Minhyun told me you have these major exams this –”

“I’m not talking about that Ryeowook. It’s about us. Whatever worries you have in your mind right now, whatever you’re thinking please stop it. I don’t want our relationship to be just another chapter in our lives. You’re a main character in my life and I want you to still be there in the next chapters of my life. I only want to be with you Ryeowook,”

“Kyu –”

Kyuhyun held Ryeowook’s hands in his and stared at his eyes. “I love you. We will work on this together okay?” And Ryeowook didn’t hold back as he embraced Kyuhyun tightly, not wanting to let go.

 

**

 

Early morning Ryeowook dropped by his room to pick up the remaining boxes of his stuffs.  Staring at the now empty room, he felt a little sad of leaving. He stayed there for few years but a lot of things had happened there, some of it was his memories together with Kyuhyun. It feels good for him to be coming back home to his parents but a part of his heart is sad because he is leaving someone behind.

He hopes that this distance between them is temporary, and that in the future the two of them can continue creating memories together as what they promised each other before.

“Are all the boxes inside the cab sir?” the driver who had helped him carry his stuffs asked.

“Yes. Thank so much sir,” he said.

“Okay. I will just wait for you downstairs. Take your time so that you won’t leave anything behind,”

‘tsk will it be enough to take Kyuhyun with me?’ he chuckled at his thoughts.

“I’ll follow soon,”

Ryeowook closed the windows and made sure that the outlets are empty before heading to the door. Taking his glance, he finally closed the door to his room. He walked to the next door and took a sticky note that he had kept inside his pocket. He thought of Kyuhyun who probably was sitting in his class at the moment and answering his exams. He will see it later when he arrives. He stuck it on the front door before heading straight to the elevator and down to the waiting vehicle.

 

‘Bye Kyukyu.’