Happiness

Destined

 

"Hold my hand and we will face this world together. "

 - Anon

 

**

 

If you think getting together was the end of their story then you’re wrong. They had just started a relationship and together with this are a lot of memories to be shared between the two of them.  Laughter and tears, arguments and warm embraces, of silly fights and teasing, those late night studying for examinations – they did it all together. 

They say falling in love with your best friend is complicated. Yes it is real. And its more problematic if the other doesn’t feel the same way about you. But this can also be the most wonderful thing that can happen to someone’s life if your best friend reciprocates your feelings. Your best friend isn't just your partner in crime anymore but can also be your partner in life.

Its risky to fall in love with your best friend but for Ryeowook and Kyuhyun they took the risk. They gave in to what their hearts were telling them and let fate play its course. If they’re destined to be together it will happen in the end.

 

**

 

Ryeowook knocked on the door before closing to let the other know his presence. They had a key to each other’s rooms so they can barge in anytime they want. Kyuhyun looked up from his study table and smiled warmly at sight of his lover.

“I brought some food since you plan on studying all night,” Ryeowook placed the paper bag full of Kyuhyun’s favorite snacks on top of his table. “Eat it so that you won’t starve okay?”

“Thank you so much Ryeonggu,” he smiles sincerely. They were in the middle of examination week and he knows that the other was also busy with his own subjects to review so he really appreciates him coming up to give him encouragement and food.

Ryeowook smiles back and sits down on Kyuhyun's bed. For a moment he just observed his boyfriend while memorizing a certain page in the book he was holding. Kyuhyun's brows was slightly wrinkled and occassionally he closes his eyes to recite some lines. Ryeowook finds it cute and he stares with a silly smile on his face.

"You look like an idiot smiling at me like that," Kyuhyun said eyebrow raised. "Is my face so handsome that you look like a highschool girl staring at her crush?"

Ryeowook threw the pillow he was hugging at him. "Stop that! Your confidence has gone out of hand since we got together!"

"Admit it. Its one of the reasons why you love me,"

"Oh really?"

Kyuhyun playfully scowled and turned back to his books ignoring the soft giggles coming from the person on his bed. A minute later he felt a pair of arms back-hugging him.

"You're so sensitive... I love you because you are you. All your good and bad qualities, I like them all. Your face is just a bonus for me," he said kissing Kyuhyun's cheeks repeatedly. "Now I'm obviously disturbing your study time,"

"Mmm...but it doesn't bother me. I prefer having you here,"

"That's good but I don't want you to fail because of me so please do well okay? I'll go to my room now,"

"Okay, you should rest too huh?"

Ryeowook nodded and quietly exited to go to his own room. He took his notes and sat down on his bed to start studying. He seems more relaxed than Kyuhyun because he was done with his exams in major subjects. Besides, he has a more free schedule than the other so he has time to do everything.

He didn't realize the time until he yawned after two hours of reading. He glanced at the clock and decided that its time for him to get some sleep. He wondered whether Kyuhyun is still awake on his desk or he did fell asleep on it. It happened many times when he comes to check and finds him sleeping with his book or pen in his hand. 

Ryeowook shifted on the bed trying to find the most comfortable position but he failed. Upon remembering the person living next door, his sleepiness was gone. Kyuhyun is like drugs to him that keeps him awake even though his body wants to rest. It is one of the reasons why he is awake at night thinking of him. Knowing that he will not fall asleep unless he sees him, he grabs his pillow and keys before tiptoeing into Kyuhyun's room.

The dim light of his lampshade was the only source of light in Kyuhyun's room. Upon entering, Ryeowook knew that the younger had transferred to the bed. He saw him sitting on the bed leaning on the headboard and of course with the same book he was reading a while ago on his lap. 

Ryeowook quietly joined him on the bed as the other was unexpectedly sleeping. He wondered whether he's done studying but he doesn't have the heart to wake him up. He figured out he could give him some sleep trusting that Kyuhyun had studied enough to pass tomorrow's exams. So he scooted closer to him and closing his eyes to join his sleep. After all, students need to take a rest too right?

 

**

 

The loud sound of pouring rain welcomed Ryeowook and Jinsun after spending hours in library finishing their research paper. Its the storm that the weather news was telling yesterday but habits never changed for Ryeowook. Though he knows that it will rain he still didn't bring his umbrella.

"How are you going to go home now?" Jinsun asks concerned. "If only our way is the same I could drop you to your dorm."

"Don't worry about me. Dorm is near so I can just run when the rain stops," Ryeowook said looking up at the sky praying that the rain will stop even for few minutes.

"Are you sure? But its getting late already,"

"I'll be okay. I promise. Now go, before you get left behind by the bus," he urged him. Jinsun reluctantly bid goodbye to him before dashing out to the pouring rain with his umbrella.

Ryeowook sighed. Its going to be a long wait before the rain stops. The library will close in an another hour and if the rain doesn't stop then he has no choice but to walk in the rain. He goes back to the library and starts to write a song about waiting in the rain. Yes, the inspiration just strikes him anytime and anywhere these days. Majority of his compositions were now compiled in his small notebook which he carries everywhere he goes.

 

Meanwhile, Kyuhyun paced around Ryeowook's dorm room as he waits for a certain message on his celphone. He had just got back from his parents home after visiting them and getting some of his stuffs that he needs. He immediately went to the room next to him wanting to share stories to his lover and also to share the food his mother cooked especially for the family.

Confused when his knocks were unanswered, he got his spare key and opened it to find the room empty. He texted his lover immediately to know where he was as they hadn't updated each other's schedules for the day. Now, two hours had passed since he got home, he still haven't received reply from him which turned him worried. Its raining hard outside so where could he had gone to?

He guesses that he's in university and maybe in another practice so he hesitates to call him knowing that he will disturb not only Ryeowook but his classmates too. However he grew impatient that finally he hit the call button.

 

Ryeowook was startled when his phone rang in his bag. Muttering his apologies to the librarian, he dashed out to the hallway to answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Ryeonggu! Where are you?" he heard Kyuhyun sounding worried.

"I'm here at school?"

"I see. I'm here in your dorm. I got worried when you didn't reply to any of my texts,"

"I'm sorry, I wasn't looking at my phone amd I forgot to tell you that Jinsun and I planned to do our research work today. And I thought you'll sleep at your parents today?"

"Nope, I don't," Kyuhyun said. "Are you done? What time are you coming home?"

"Uhh actually we're done, I'm just..."

"You didn't bring an umbrella don't you?"

"..."

"Now I understand," Kyuhyun chuckled. "You never learned your lesson," he could imagine Ryeowook pouting at the end of the line.

"I just forgot to bring it..." he reasoned.

"Nevermind. Just stay there okay? I'm coming to get you," he said as he went back to his room to grab a bigger umbrella and a jacket.

"Aren't you tired?"

"It doesn't matter as long as its for you."

Ryeowook can't deny that he loves it Kyuhyun gets so worried and caring to him. He feels secure, that someone would be so worried about his welfare besides his parents. He could get used to it and hopes that Kyuhyun wouldn't get tired of loving him.

Less than thirty minutes Kyuhyun arrived to fetch him wearing his usual mushy smile that started to be noticed by everyone since they got together. Jinsun teased them endlessly about being like a 'newly married couple' which got him flustered.

"The news had warned us about this storm but you really didn't care to bring your umbrella. How do you plan to go home if I'm not here?"

"Then I have no choice but to walk in the rain..."

"Do you want to get sick?" he asked wrapping his arms around his little lover. Ryeowook shruggred and leaned on his shoulders instead.

"I don't care about the storm or any kind of weather out there. As long as I have my personal umbrella with me, I'll be fine..."

"Then I should always be by your side forever,"

 

**

 

Kyuhyun groaned impatiently as he keeps on checking his watch. He was longing to skip the class earlier but Ryeowook insisted that he should attend. It was not a good idea since he keeps on worrying about his little lover who's now currently sick in his dorm. He is checking his phone all the time while sending worried text to the sick person but he only got a few reply. Right now he wonders if Ryeowook had fallen asleep already.

He snapped quickly upon hearing the dismissal from the professor and he quickly grabbed his bag to dash to the door.

"Hey, Kyuhyun aren't you going to eat lunch here?" Minhyun called out.

"Nope. Ryeonggu is sick so I'll be at dorm," he yelled. "I might not attend the afternoon class though." After that he ran to his destination but before that stopping at convenience store to buy food and also medicine. He doesn't trust himself to cook or else he thinks that Ryeowook's sickness will get worse.

When he reached the dorm he found his lover sleeping while bundled up with his thick blanket and pillows. As much as he doesn't want disturbing his sleep, Kyuhyun woke him up to eat so that he could take meds later. He nudged him gently on the shoulders. 

"Ryeonggu, wake up honey. I bought some food, lets eat," he whispered. He stirred and slightly opened his eyes to see Kyuhyun's concerned eyes staring back at him. He grimaced but he can feel his stomach asking for food.

"Honey... you need to eat. Your body will need energy," he urged before gently guiding him into a sitting position. He touched his head and felt him burning.

Kyuhyun doesn't like seeing sick people, it makes him feel useless that he can't do anything to lessen the pain. Besides, he is used to being the one taken care of by people. Its his first time to take care of someone sick and he doesn't know if he is doing the right thing.

"Eat it even if your taste buds doesn't like it," Kyuhyun spooning the bowl of porridge to fed Ryeowook. Little by little he ate it until he finished the whole bowl. 

"If you feel like eating more here are some of your favorite cookies and banana. I'll place it here in your bedside okay? Now, you should drink your medicine,"

"Do I really need to drink that? I'll get well soon..." Ryeowook softly whispered.

"Nope... don't be a baby. Its for you sweetie, you don't want to miss your classes right?" he coaxed giving him his meds and a glass of water. Not feeling well enough to argue Ryeowook just obeyed.

"That's better," Kyuhyun said before settling beside his lover and encircling him in his arms. "I don't like you getting sick okay? So please take care yourself even when I'm not around..."

"Its because of the rain..." Ryeowook pouts. Kyuhyun sighed and kissed his temple. Ryeowook relaxed from the gesture and shifted his position so he was lying sideways facing the other. 

"You have class at two," Ryeowook pointed out.

"I'll skip it,"

"No," he pulled away from the hug. "What if you miss something important?"

"But you're important,"

"Kyuhyun..."

"Don't think about it. Minhyun will text me everything that happened. For now lets just stay here and rest. I'm getting stressed out by the school works too."

The two enjoyed the comfortable silence while wrapped in each other's embrace. Ryeowook felt better now that he had eaten something and taken his meds. For once he enjoyed being babied by someone else who isn't his mother. If only he is not burning up with fever a while ago he could have laughed at Kyuhyun's face and but he knows it will just backfire at him.

Later that night, the two camped out on Ryeowook's bed while having a movie marathon. He felt good enough to insist that they should watch some movies that night. Kyuhyun knows that he should be advance studying his lessons but he doesn't have the heart to say no to his lover. Well, he never did even when they were still just friends.

"Aa-achooo!" Kyuhyun sneezed and he wiped his runny nose wit a tissue.

"I think you got my virus," Ryeowook stated. "You're getting sick now!"

"No. Its just the air...you know... did you take a bath today?" he joked. Ryeowook glared at him and smacked his stomach hard.

"Yah! Kyuhyun!"

Although Ryeowook haven't fully recovered from being sick, he has enough energy to hit and tickle his lover for teasing him.

 

**

 

'Happy seven months honey!!' - from your Kyukyu

Ryeowook smiled when he saw a note stuck on his alarm clock when he woke up one day. Last night the two of them chatted all night long until they fell asleep side by side. However, since he didn't see him around this morning he guessed that Kyuhyun is already at school. He got up of the bed and went to brush his teeth when he saw another note on the table with a red rose sitting in top of a covered plate.

'Eat your breakfast and have fun today! See you later. I love you'

If something had changed since they got together, its Kyuhyun's thoughtfulness and sweet gestures. He does not only show love through kisses and hugs but also through other things like this. Ryeowook feels lucky that he got someone like him but he wondered if they will last long together. After all, relationships are as sweet like this during the first year.

Ryeowook ate Kyuhyun's pancake and remembered the times when he thought him simple recipes to cook. His lover insisted that he should learn so that he can prepare something self-made from him. His dorm's small kitchen was a mess because the cooking lesson turned out to be play time for them.  Kisses and continuous laughter echoed from them and it was a miracle that the food turned out to be okay. Little by little, Kyuhyun had practiced and nowadays he likes to cook breakfast for the two of them since his class is always earlier than Ryeowook.

He broke out from his thoughts when his phone rings. He received a text from his mother. She is coming to visit him today and they decide to go and hangout together. He better get ready now but before that he sent a message to Kyuhyun first, letting him know that he is awake and had seen his thoughtful surprise.

'Thank you honey! I love you too <3'

 

 

"You should have brought Kyuhyun with you," his mother commented. The two of them were in cafe right now after strolling and shopping around for holidays.

"He still needs to finish some things at school mom. You've heard how busy he is."

"I understand," she sipped from her cup. "You two have been doing well right? I knew it will happen soon." Ryeowook blushed when his mother opened the topic. Honestly then haven't talked about it enough since he didn't have a chance to go home in the past months. His parents only got the news through his phone calls.

"I see how he cares for you. If you think before that it's because you're his best friend then you're wrong. I've seen those same moves from your father before," 

"Mom... aren't you angry or not in favor with this?" he asked the question that had long been in his mind since he found his feelings for Kyuhyun.

"I told you before that I want to see you happy right? Obviously he is your source of happiness right now and I know he will take care of you."

"But what about that?"

"He is okay as long as you finish your studies. My son, don't think about these tthings anymore okay? It will only hinder your happiness."

"But mom, I'm just wondering. Everything between us seems fine. Isn't it unfair that we got this luck?"

"Its not luck. I think it's more about fate? We don't have control on who we love. It just happens when you finally meet the right person. Now if Kyuhyun is the one then you are lucky you met him early."

Ryeowook kept silent and played the food on his plate. There are some feelings that can't be explained by words. He loves Kyuhyun, he really does. And thinking of losing him I'm the future if their relationship doesn't workout is like destroying his life. Because Kyuhyun is not only his lover but also his best friend.

"Am I disappointing him of thinking these kind of things mom?" he asked suddenly afraid that it means that he distrusts his lover.

"You're only human. I bet everyone had that thoughts sometimes. Its just don't let it be the reason to for you two to argue. Tell him about your worries. He will listen to you, I'm sure of that."

"Thanks mom. I really try not to think about things but sometimes when I have nothing to do my insecurities haunt me."

"You're just afraid to lose him dear. I can see how important he is to you. You've fallen deeply in love with him."

Ryeowook turns pink from his mother's statement. Normally things like this are shared between best friends. But Ryeowook is an only child, and he us used to telling everything to his mom. They are closer than what other people sees when they're together.

"Oh mom will you try the new recipes I gave you? I really wanted to taste it but I can't try at dorm because I don't have enough equipment," he said trying to change the topic.

Mrs. Kim chuckled. She knew his son's behavior and because he's getting shy she decided to drop the topic. "Sure, I'll do it on Christmas so that you and Kyuhyun can taste it."

"When are going home by the way?"

"Our classes are done now so maybe I can go home next Saturday? Oh I need to ask Kyu about when he is coming..." he replied although the last part seems like he is talking to himself.

"And Mrs. Cho said I should drop by their home first before I go... why didn't remember this before? I should keep a planner with me now or else I'll forget important dates."

"Just take your time," his mother smiled. "I'm still busy thinking of gifts so you better just stay here. I don't want spoiling the fun for you,"

"Moooom, you know I can sneak at home without you knowing!" he laughs. "But since I'm a good son I won't."

"Oh you better not. Your father right now is enjoying putting up the Christmas decorations. You two used to be doing that but he seems fine. He said he's not going to put the giraffe stuff toys under the tree this time," she whispered the last sentence.

"No way!"

 

**

 

Ryeowook gently locked the door as soon as he entered his dorm room. He wasn't surprised though when he saw his television was . Like what he had guessed, Kyuhyun was there on his bed and apparently he had fallen asleep while watching. Ryeowook tiptoed towards him, a smile tugging on his lips when he saw how peaceful his lover's face is when sleeping. Kyuhyun was hugging his pillow and a soft snore can be heard from him.

He must be tired so he decided to let him rest on his bed. Its already a habit and he can bet that Kyuhyun had spent most of the time there than his own room. His room just served as a very big closet for his stuffs.

Transferring to another dorm so that the two of them can share in a one room was one of their options but there wasn't any able right now so they chose to just stay there.

While he was changing his clothes Kyuhyun stirred and slightly rubbed his eyes. "You're here already,"

"I just arrived. I accompanied mom until the bus station. How is your day honey?" he said sitting down beside him.

"The usual. They gave us something to work on the holidays but I think I can finish it before Christmas day. I want to enjoy the season,"

"Hmm that's good because mom is expecting you to come a ft a in this year. She will cook specially for you,"

"Really??? Now I need to start working on that damn research," he said getting up to grab his bag. Ryeowook pulled him back to bed before snuggling closer.

"You can do that tomorrow... I missed you..."

Kyuhyun smiled and hugged him tightly. "What happened that made you so affectionate today huh?"

"Nothing. I just want to lie down while I'm in your arms."

"You must be tired. I wonder how many shops you two had gone to."

"I can't believe mom is fine with us. What did you do to win their approval?"

"What? I didn't do anything. I'm just charming and nobody can't resist me." Ryeowook stared at him judgingly.

"I'm serious! Ask anyone. They will say I'm so handsome,"

"Hahahaha," his lover laughed sarcastically. "But don't you think we are getting it off easily? Yours and my parents approves of us."

"Its a blessing for me. And what did you say about getting off easily? Hey! I waited enough for us to be together. You don't know how many sleepless night I spent thinking of you,"

"You haven't told me about that before?"

Kyuhyun looked away hiding his blush. He thought about the nights he was unsure of his feelings to his best friend. That was just the other torture to his besides getting teased by a lot of his friends and family.

"Care to tell me about it?" Ryeowook loved this moments when he can tease and see his lover blush. Kyuhyun had this rare moments when he gets shy.

"You already know the reason why I can't sleep you know..."

Ryeowook cupped his face to turn him to face him. "Kyu, I really hope you're my othere half. I can't afford to lose you now that you've become so important in my life."

Kyuhyun's eyes softened. "What made you think that I'll leave you? I said I love you because I meant to stay with you forever."

"Nothing lasts forever Kyu."

"You may have seen other couples break up but don't think that we are going to be like them. It will not be easy but we can make it." Kyuhyun pulled him even closer and kissing his nose tip. 

"How sure are you? What if we fight or grow apart?"

"We will not grow apart if we won't be keeping secrets from each month other. I'm still your best friend right? so talk to me about anything that bothers you. If we fight I will still remember that I love you okay?"

Ryeowook buried his face on Kyuhyun's neck inhaling his scent. He imagines the future with Kyuhyun by his side and it looks promising. He wants to believe that this is where his luck is, after the failure he had with his dreams.

Kyuhyun run his arms up and down his back to comfort him. He relaxed in his touch so he spread light kisses on his neck until he reached his face. 

"Are you okay now?" Kyuhyun asked.

"I'm always feeling okay when you're right beside me," he smiled brightly. "I'm sorry if I bothered you with nonsense things like this, especially today."

"Oh that's nothing. I should always be making sure that I'm making you happy. I would always assure you that we will make it,"

"Hmmm...by the way honey, I'll be planning to go home this weekends. Are you coming or I will be going first?"

"I think you should go first? Is that okay? As I said, I will be finishing my research,"

"Oh I forgot... You should be concentrating with that first," he said grinning. "If that's the case then I will be going to your mom tomorrow or the other day."

"Why?"

"She asked me to come before I go to Incheon."

"What will you do together?" he asked suspicious.

"Oh... just stuff. You know, chatting, cooking and anything else she wants to do."

"Why am I not invited?"

"Because you're busy?"

"I'm not! I am coming too!" Kyuhyun insisted knowing that the two will cook bunch of foods that he likes. His mother had been asking for Ryeowook to teach him some recipes lately and he will surely not miss the chance to satisfy his stomach. Besides, they will gossip things about him if he's not around.

"If you say so..."