Hearts & Holidays

Destined

 

Chapter 5

 

“Find someone who makes you realize three things: one, that home is not a place but a feeling. Two, that time is not measured by a clock but by moments. And three, that heartbeats are not only heard, but felt and shared.”             – Anonymous

 

**

 

The temperature grew colder as days passed by and in time people started to wear thick clothes to keep themselves warm. The holiday season can now be felt as people starts to make up their Christmas gift list. Shopping centers are now filled with early bird buyers. Twinkling lights and the holiday decorations now fill up the streets while Christmas carols were being played. However, no matter how joyous the season is, for students, they need to finish their requirements first before the much awaited term break.

So one particular cold morning, Kyuhyun was in his classroom busy with his report. He is not the type to wake up early so he is so moody and grumpy that even his report partner was afraid to talk to him.

"You know, you can leave that to me... I can easily finish it tonight. You really need to go home and sleep," Minhyun said carefully.

"No, I'm okay... let's just finish it now," the other replied with a serious tone. Actually Minhyun doesn't know how to offer help to Kyuhyun now since he is too focused on writing the outline of the report. He just watched helplessly and wishes that Kyuhyun would give him the work too.

"But – you're stressed out... " he wanted to say more but decided to shut up when he noticed Kyuhyun's brows scrunched. "Okay... we will finish it then..." he only said.

Minhyun was getting bored and he really wants to escape this uncomfortable situation. The atmosphere is silent and nobody doesn't want to mess with a busy and grumpy Kyuhyun. He was praying that somebody would come and save him from this situation and just like an answered prayer he heard a soft knock from the door.

Kyuhyun didn't hear it but Minhyun turned around and saw Ryeowook standing beside the door. He motioned for him to come inside and Kyuhyun was still oblivious to his presence.

"Are you busy?" Ryeowook asked looking at the stuffs the two were working on.

"Yeah, we need to finish this report before its deadline which will be tomorrow," Minhyun replied. "Why?"

"Ohh... I was just thinking, whether I could ask Kyuhyun something... but I guess I'll do it by myself since he is busy," At the sound of his name Kyuhyun looked up and finally saw Ryeowook. Instantly like a magic a smile was formed on his lips.

"Hi Wook, what are you doing here?" he asked surprised. It was rare to see the other coming up to look for him in his department. Usually it was the other way around.

"Umm... nothing really important. I was just looking if you're not busy..." he hesitates. "... I was planning to go and buy gifts for –"

"You need a companion?" he asked and Ryeowook nodded.

"But you are busy... so never mind, I will just go alone,"

"Who said I'm busy?" Kyuhyun said dropping the paper he was previously writing. Minhyun's eyebrows rose at his statement. It amused him how Kyuhyun's mood changed upon seeing Ryeowook.

Gathering up all the papers for the report, he turned to his amused friend, "It is almost finished but you can continue it if you want. If you need help call me later," he said smiling at him for the first time that day. He slung his backpack to his shoulder and grabbed Ryeowook's hand and pulled him outside.

Minhyun just watched the two exit the room and shook his head. He is really oblivious isn't he?

 

 

Meanwhile Ryeowook was surprised by Kyuhyun's actions and he didn't get enough time to react before he was dragged outside. Right now they were already in front of the university gate and waiting for the bus.

"You didn't have to do that. I can wait until you finish –" he said but Kyuhyun cut him off. "Its okay, really. Minhyun can do it," he assured.

"Why are buying gifts this early? Christmas is three weeks away," Kyuhyun changed the topic.

"I was planning to go back home on the eleventh so I will pack all the things I needed to bring,"

"Eleventh?! Why so early?"

"Because we are done with classes? Why are you so surprised?"

"We have class until twenty, it so unfair!"

"Well, we don't have to much work to do unlike you lawyer-to-be," he stated.

"So that means I will be alone for at least a week. I'm not looking forward for the holidays anymore," Kyuhyun grumbled.

"Why would you feel alone? I'm not your only friend,"

"But I'm the happiest when I'm with you... even if you don't play games like Minhyun do,"

Ryeowook blushed at his words and looked down on his shoes. Sometimes he is really surprised with Kyuhyun's unexpected sweet words. He turned more pink when he realised that Kyuhyun were still holding his hands. They were holding hands for almost thirty minutes now.

It surprised him how he likes the way Kyuhyun hold his hand. It feels warm and he doesn't want to pull away. Nobody held his hand before like the way Kyuhyun does, well, except for his parents. His thoughts were intererupted when a bus finally stops in front of them.

"Let's go Wookie," he says and he doesn't let go of his hands even as they sat inside the bus.

 

**

 

“So what are you buying for your mom?” Kyuhyun asked. More than an hour later they were still walking around the mall trying to think of a perfect gift for Ryeowook’s parents. He already bought a pair of shirts from his father’s favorite brand. And right now he is having difficulty in thinking of a gift for his mother.

Ryeowook never gave his parents with so many gifts before; he was just doing it by baking cakes and sweets for them. But right now, he thinks that its time for him to give them a real gift. He saved for it since he moved out from home.

“Actually…I don’t know?” he grumbled. “What do you usually give to your mom?”

“Me? Good grades…?” Ryeowook gave him an annoyed look. “Just kidding… I’ve never really gave something to her, you see I at gift giving. In any occasion I just give flowers to her or to noona,”

“But I want something permanent… I mean, flowers will wilt and die in weeks,”

“What does your mom loves to do?”

“She loves to cook,”

“Then give her something that she doesn’t have in the kitchen?” Kyuhyun suggested.

“Eh? My money is not enough for that particular thing… besides I will be the one using it since I use the kitchen too…”

Both of them were getting tired walking and they were running out of ideas. Ryeowook was about to ask Kyuhyun if he wants to eat somewhere when suddenly he stops and points at a shop nearby. “What about we go there? You might find what you are looking for,” he smiles.

The two went inside a jewelry store and instantly their eyes were mesmerized by the jewelries on display. Rings, necklaces, earrings and different accessories for various occasions were there. Kyuhyun pulled his friend further inside to look at the items on sale.

“Didn’t you say you wanted something special? Every girl loves jewelries so your mom might like it if you give her a necklace or a pair of earrings,” Kyuhyun said.

“I think that’s a good idea… who said you at giving gifts? Well, you are actually a sweet person!” Ryeowook smiles and then he looks at the designs to find the prettiest one. Kyuhyun just stares while the other is busy and it seems like he didn’t notice anyone else except for him. He didn’t see how the saleslady went and assisted Ryeowook in buying the earrings he had chosen. His gaze was only broken when the other went away to pay to the cashier.

While waiting, Kyuhyun went around and watching the other jewelries on display. It is not Valentine’s Day but there were couple rings highlighted as the main attraction inside the store. Kyuhyun’s attention was caught by this and he decided to take a closer look. The rings were pricey and beautiful but it is worth it to put on the ring finger of your beloved.

“Looking for a gift for your girlfriend sir?” somebody interrupted his thoughts.

“Ah no, I don’t have anyone. I was just waiting for someone,” he lied hoping the saleslady would leave him alone.

“I see. Then why don’t you give this to someone whom you want? Maybe you can get the person’s heart with these beautiful rings,”

This one is persistent to have customers, Kyuhyun thought. He usually dislikes a person who interrupts him while shopping and the saleslady is a perfect example of this. “I’m already finished in buying gifts,” he lied again hoping that Ryeowook would come back so that they can get out of the store.

“Oh okay sir. Gifts don’t really need to be glittering to the eyes as long as it comes from the heart,” she says. “But then, if you find the right one maybe you can give her these rings as a symbol of your promises to her.”

Kyuhyun haven’t encountered a saleslady as talkative as this one but her words got him thinking. The rings were really pretty and now he hopes he finds that person whom he can offer one of these precious jewelries. If he finds that person, surely he wouldn’t let go.

“Ah there you are! I was searching for you over there,” he heard Ryeowook and he saw him approaching with a new paper bag in his hand. “I’m hungry now, let’s go and I’ll treat you for coming with me today,” he said.

Of course no one will say no to food especially when your friend decides to treat you for free so Kyuhyun allowed himself to be dragged by Ryeowook to their favorite restaurant. There, they will continue whatever topic they had left off before and talk and eat until they get tired and decided to go home.

 

**

 

Today marks the start of Ryeowook’s holiday vacation and he was eager to go home already. Unfortunately, he is not done packing his clothes yet. He was so busy the past few days that he did not have time to pack. So right now he is rushing things just to be able to go back home later in the afternoon.

He gathers up his favorite shirts and pants and puts it inside his luggage. Of course he will not be bringing everything since he will only stay there for at least a month. He still had some clothes left back at home but he wants to trade the stuffs he had inside the dorm. He put some of his books inside too so that he can study back at home during his free time.

Sitting on his bed, he looked around the dorm once more as he tried to think of the things he needed to bring. Of course he made sure that there will be no food left in the dorm or else it will spoil while he is gone. He doesn’t stock many foods though and if he does Kyuhyun eats it all when he comes to visit.

Speaking of Kyuhyun, he said he will come today to see him before he goes. The younger have been so whiny about him going away for weeks and he acts like a clingy best friend.

 

“Why does your hometown so far from here?” Kyuhyun frowned. “Why don’t your family live here in Seoul instead?”

“Excuse me? Incheon isn’t that far,” the other said amused. As the days passed, Kyuhyun’s complaints became frequent. He was used to always seeing his best friend even during weekends so he thinks him going away for weeks is too much.

“But I can't run to your house when I want to. It will take me minutes or hours,"

"Oh please, you survived just by yourself before you met me, you should have fun on the holidays,"

"Its not fun without you," he whispered thinking that Ryeowook didn't hear. Well, Ryeowook only has weak eyes but not his ears.

 

He smiled remembering their conversation before and wondered if he was awake already. Maybe he should give him a call. Holding his phone he dialed Kyuhyun's number. It took a few seconds before a hoarse voice answered.

"Hel--lo?" the person on the other line mumbled.

"I see, you are still in bed. I'm sorry I disturbed your sleep," Ryeowook noticed that he was still sleeping due to his voice tone. Kyuhyun was always enthusiatic whenever they have phonecalls to each other.

"Oww Ryeonggu! Its too early you're up already??" the voice became livelier the moment he recognized who the caller is.

"I'm supposed to go home today and I... I was packing my clothes..."

". How did I forgot?! You are going later in the afternoon right? Wait for me, I'll take a shower then go there," Kyuhyun said already grabbing some clothes from his closet.

"Umm but I think I had disturbed your sleep, you should go back to bed. I will just call you when I arrived home safely,"

"NO. I need to see you okay? I'll cut the call now because I'm in the shower," Kyuhyun said. "Wait for me huh?"

The line was cut after that so Ryeowook just lays down on the bed while waiting for him. He stretches his body and hugs the nearest pillow to him. The bed was comfortable and so soft that unconsciously he fell asleep. He could have overslept but thanks to Kyuhyun he was awakened or else he will be missing the bus.

“Ryeonggu… hey wake up… ryeonggu,” Kyuhyun gently nudges his friend. He finally arrived at the dorm and found his friend sleeping peacefully. He was able to go in because he knows Ryeowook’s passcode since he is always there.

Ryeowook seems to be enjoying his sleep and Kyuhyun felt guilty to wake him up. He tries to take away the pillow from him but Ryeowook stubbornly holds to it. Kyuhyun chuckles as he finds the gesture cute. He watches his face sleeping and thought that he looks like angel. If only he had his camera with him he could have taken a picture of it but right now he could only save this scene in his memory.

“Ryeonggu you need to wake up if you want to go home today…” he said and shakes him a little aggressive than before.

“Hmmm?”

“Its past noon, I guess you haven’t eaten lunch yet,”

“Oh… you’re here already,” the other said as he opens his eyes finding Kyuhyun hovering over him.

“Yup I’m obviously here so get up now and let’s eat. I didn’t eat even my breakfast just to get here fast,” he climbs down the bed to go to the table where the food was placed.

“Almost 3 hours… you sure are fast,” Ryeowook said standing up and fixing his hair and clothes. He followed the other and sat on the opposite table.

“Its my sister’s fault. He made me come with her…” Kyuhyun takes a bite on the food. “… I insisted on commuting but she forced me…”

“You two are really enemies… I wonder how your parents get over the headache of raising you two at the same time,” Ryeowook laughs.

The two enjoyed eating while taking to each other just like what they always do everyday at school. It seems like they never runs out of stories to talk to. And just like that they never noticed how the time seems to slow down while they are together.

 

 

“Thank God we arrived on time. We talked too much that we forgot the time,” Ryeowook said. They arrived at the bus station just in time.

“You can always get another ticket if you missed it,” the younger said.

“Hell no! I have reserved it just to make sure I can go home. You know that the bus is always full during holiday season,”

“Fine. Take this before I forget to give it to you,” Kyuhyun hands him the other bag. “Why did you bring so many stuffs with you?”

“I didn’t. Its just a couple of shirts and pants. It looks heavy because I brought my books with me,” he said. “By the way, thanks for coming…”

“Its nothing. Have a safe ride!” Kyuhyun smiles.

“Okay, I think I should go up now?” Ryeowook waves his hand. “Bye bye! Happy holidays!”

Kyuhyun waves back but as he watches his friend going away from him he felt something missing. Ryeowook was already at the front door of the bus when he heard the nickname that Kyuhyun created for him.

“Ryeonggu!” he turned around to see Kyuhyun walking toward him.

“Yes? Did you forget some–” he was cut off surprised when Kyuhyun suddenly hugged him. “I will miss you…” he says as he tightens the hug. The smaller hugs back as tightly as the other to comfort him. He understands how much Kyuhyun values his friendships to other people and for him he was touched by how much he cares for him.

“I will miss you too…” he replies and smiles at the warmth of his hug. “Don’t worry too much… you’re acting like we will not see each other again…”

“Call me exaggerating but my day is not really complete when I don’t see you,” he says as they break the hug. Ryeowook blushes at the gentle stare that Kyuhyun was giving him. He doesn’t know how to reply to his words so he just smiles back and hopes that the other can read what his eyes wants to tell. Ryeowook feels his heart beating madly but the scene was interrupted when the bus beeps indicating that it’s time to go.

“Go now or else I will keep you here,” Kyuhyun teased.

“Bye…” he only said and finally climbs in the bus. He didn’t look back afraid that if he sees him he won’t be able to go. As he sat inside, Ryeowook puts his hand on his heart to calm it down. He doesn’t understand how his heart flutters at the warmth of his hug. He doesn’t know why he suddenly felt cold when they broke the hug.

He just cannot grasp the feeling he feels right now.

 

**

 

Snow had started to fall as people walks on the busy streets of Seoul. Everyone is bundled with thick coats, scarves and gloves since the temperature continues to fall. However, no matter how cold the season is, nothing could stop the people from having their last minute Christmas shopping.

Among the crowd, two people were busy bickering about the stuffs siblings normally bicker about.  The older, who is holding a bunch of paper bags which are probably dresses from the stores they went before, is complaining to her companion. The younger one, who holds a couple of boxes that comes from his sister, grumbles as he still hasn’t bought a gift yet.

“What exactly are you looking for?” Ahra asked. “We have been walking around for hours and you haven’t bought anything yet. Look at the stuffs I’ve bought!”

“I don’t know… noonaaaa what am I supposed to buy for him?”

“For Ryeowook?”

“Who else am I supposed to buy gifts for?”

“Okay, okay. You’re grumpy now. Look, I don’t know what he likes. You are his friend so I suppose you should know what to give,”

“That’s the problem here. I know his preference in things but it seems like I can’t choose which to buy,” Kyuhyun whines. Since he received the phone call from Ryeowook inviting him to come in Incheon, he was so excited and a cheesy grin was always plastered on his face. And of course he wouldn’t come empty handed there so he figured out he should buy a gift for him. He was supposed to give it to him next year when he comes back but he didn’t expect that they would see each other earlier than that. So right now he is having a headache trying to figure out the perfect gift for his best friend.

“I don’t understand you. You just normally choose anything when you’re buying gifts for us but when it comes to Ryeowook it needs to be special. You’re so obvious,” his sister rolls her eyes as she teases Kyuhyun.

“Ugh… just help me please? So that we can go home now. Its getting late already,” he hooks his arm to Ahra and pulls her to the next store in line. “What do you normally give to your best friend?”

“Oh, she likes make-up so I always give her the latest trends. Look I have bought her the lipstick and eyeli–”

“Okay thanks for that but my friend is not a girl,” he says as he looks at the items on display.

“Well I’m just answering your question,” she said. Kyuhyun looked stressed out that she finally took pity on her younger brother.  “He must be someone special for you to worry like that”

“He is my best friend,” he plainly said.

Ahra snorts. I don’t think so, she thought. “Look, your gift doesn’t need to be extravagant. I suggest you should buy something simple. If he is really special to you then buy him something that will remind him of you. Gifts that comes from the heart are always the one best,”

Ahra taps his shoulder and said, “I’ll just go there. I think you could think straight when you’re alone. When I come back you should have bought something already,” She walks away towards the store full of shoes.

Kyuhyun was left alone and thought about his sister’s words. He thinks of Ryeowook and the things that make him smile. He has a beautiful voice, an amazing cook and a very good friend. He thinks of Ryeowook when his eyes lands on the couple of stuff toys on the display window. One particular thing that caught his eye was the pillow sized giraffe. He remembered when he caught Ryeowook sleeping inside his dorm. He was hugging his pillow and he thinks he would look cute when he hugs this instead of the pillow because he knows that Ryeowook loves giraffes.

Finally smiling genuinely for the first time that day, he goes to find the saleslady to buy that cute giraffe. He hopes to see what the others’ reaction when he sees his gift.

 

**

 

Christmas day finally came and no one is happier than Kyuhyun in the Cho household. He had been anticipating this day as he will come to Ryeowook's hometown and see him at the same time meeting his parents for the first time. It was fair enough since he had already spent the Christmas eve with his own family so its time for him to spend it with someone else. His parents and sister will be going to their relatives today and Kyuhyun does not feel guilty at all. He likes to spend time with his friend than his relatives who only just care about his achievements in school.

"My baby brother is so happy right now, I wonder what the reason is," Ahra teased sitting down beside their mother on the dining table.

"Shut up. I'm going to enjoy this day than the rest of you," he said grinning widely as he stuffs a slice of cake into his mouth.

"Careful. Eat slowly or you might get indigestion," Mrs. Cho reminded his son. "Oh before I forget, there are two boxes of cake inside the refrigerator, take it to Ryeowook's family. I baked it for them,"

"I'm sure they would like it," he said. "Mom your cakes were more delicious since Ryeowook started cooking with you. Did he teach you some of his secrets?"

"Oh its our secret between the two of us. You won't understand a thing about cooking anyways,"

"Fine, as long as the two of you keeps feeding me good food," he just said.

Kyuhyun's mood was so good that he didn't even bickered with his sister. Ahra had been trying to provoke and annoy him but fell on deaf ears. Her brother is excited with his little adventure for that day.

Kyuhyun packed up a pair of clothes inside his backpack because he will be spending the night at Ryeowook's. And then with a large paper bag on his right and two boxes of cake on his left hand he bid his parents goodbye. He refused his parent's offer to lend him the car or accompany him since he wants insists that it is more adventurous when he commutes alone.

The ride going to Incheon was so long that Kyuhyun almost wanted to tell the driver to drive fast. Or perhaps time flows slowly when you anticipates something. Its his first time to go out of the city alone and he is not familiar to Incheon so he asked Ryeowook to fetch him at the bus terminal.

He was constantly texting the other, nervous that he will be lost but Ryeowook assured him that the bus will stop at the last station where his hometown is.

Ryeowook had woke up early and was just as excited as Kyuhyun was. His parents were amused at the stupid grin plastered on his face. Well, he is oblivious to that since all his mind was thinking of Kyuhyun and how he gets to spend the day with his friend. Yes, friends as what the two calls each other.

Kyuhyun heard from the driver that they were nearing the bus stop so he texted his friend to come and find him at the next bus that will arrive. In few minutes he will be seeing him again.

The bus reached the terminal just in time like what he expected. He gathered all his stuff in one hand and went down the vehicle. There were still a lot of people despite that today is Christmas day. He wonders if these people were also here to visit their friends or families. He didn't see Ryeowook so he pulls his phone from his pocket and calls him.

"Ryeonggu where are you? I'm here now," he asked when he picked up the call.

"I'm looking for you in the crowd. Can you go somewhere with lesser people?"

"Okay, okay. I'm walking now to the chairs... at the left side. I'll see you there?" Kyuhyun said. He reached the chairs so he put down the stuff he was holding because his hand was going numb already.

He scanned the place to look for Ryeowook once more when he finally heard his voice calling his name. "Kyu!! Kyu!!" he turned around to see him walking fast towards him and in seconds they embraced each other.

"I missed you Kyu. I'm glad your parents allowed you to go today," he smiles.

"They would hear me whine all day if they didn't. And I missed you more," Kyuhyun smiles back. Ryeowook holds his hand and pulls him. "Let's go now. Mom and dad are waiting for you."

Kyuhyun suddenly felt nervous at the mention of his parents. Will they like him or not? He hopes its positive since they agreed to invite him over. And why does he feels nervous? Weird.

 

They arrived afterwards to Ryeowook's house and just by looking from the outside it gives you the feeling of home. "Here we are. Its not much but I've spent most of my life here so it holds a lot of good memories for me," Ryeowook said.

"Its beautiful Ryeonggu," he said staring at the little garden and imagines a little Ryeowook playing outside.

Ryeowook pulls him inside the house while he calls for his parents. They came out from the kitchen and immediately Kyuhyun straightens himself. "Mom, dad, this is my friend Kyuhyun,"

"Merry Christmas sir, ma'am," he politely greeted.

"Oh don't be so polite dear, just call us mom and dad. Any friend of Ryeowook's is just like our own son too," Mrs. Kim said coming forward to give the two boys some warm hugs.

Kyuhyum was surprised but touched at the warm welcoming that his parents gave him. Mr. Kim smiled at him and he is reminded where Ryeowook got his high cheekbones and the sunshine smile that melts everyone's heart. This is the people that raise Ryeowook to who he is now.

"Oh this is for you, my mother baked this cake. I hope you like it," he said offering the two boxes of cake that he was holding.

"That was very sweer of her. I hope I meet her too. I want to thank her for looking out to Ryeowook , you know he told me a lot of stories about you and your family."

"Its probably me asking him to cook or annoying him all the time," he smiled sheepishly.

"Its more than that. But I'm glad he found a good company in you," Kyuhyun tried to control the heat that comes up to his cheeks. He felt embarrassed with all the attention given to him. Ryeowook were just abnormally quiet beside him and watching the whole interaction.

"I think you two should go upstairs and wash-up before coming to the dining room. Its almost lunch time and you must be hungry from the journey," Mr. Kim said. He must have noticed the awkwardness so he let the two boys breathe some good air first.

Ryeowook brought Kyuhyun to his bedroom. Their house wasn't that big and it has three rooms but unfortunately the guest room was full of old boxes that holds assorted stuffs. So it all means that Kyuhyun had to share the room of Ryeowook for the night.

"My room is a little bit messy right now than my dorm back in the city, I hope you don't mind," he said.

"Its okay, you have seen how much my room is messier than yours," Kyuhyun chuckled. "Oh have you hid all your childhood photos? I was hoping to see many of it downstairs." he teased.

"Yah! Stop it. You won't see anything," he stuck his tongue out like a child.

"Its unfair! Mom made sure she had shown you all my embarassing photos when I was a child."

"I didn't really hide it all. You are free to search the house if you want. But I suggest you should just spend time in the kitchen with mom," he knows that Kyuhyun's weakness was food so he tried to bribe him.

"Thanks for the advice uummm..." he said sitting down on the bed to stretch. "..your bed looks comfortable, I think I want to continue my sleep now,"

"Oh no, you're not. You change your clothes and we go down to eat. Nobody is going to sleep on Christmas morning," Ryeowook pulls he up and pushes him to the bathroom with his bag to change.

 

It must be the most memorable Christmas for both of them and they seemed to enjoy every minute of the day as their faces were imprinted with smiles. Kyuhyun got to know more about Ryeowook's family and figured out that his parents were really nice just like his friend. He obviously got his talent in cooking from his mother since Kyuhyun almost got indigestion from the amount of food he ate all day. Kyuhyun also liked the kindness and humor his father have and wished he could spend more time with them but unfortunately he had to go next morning.

Ryeowook also decided to give Kyuhyun a mini tour in his hometown, showing him the places he used to go when he was little. The small playground he used to go when he was six, the local church they go to as a family, and the school where he spent most of his teenage years, Ryeowook told him all of the stories behind those places. Kyuhyun felt as if he is now part of the family as he gets to know more about him more than anyone else. He'd never been so interested to know someone else's life but with Ryeowook it feels like he needed to know more. He felt like he cares to know more about him.

"Thanks for inviting today, I really had fun with you and your family," Kyuhyun said once they got home. Both were now hanging out inside Ryeowook's room eating fruit cake.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had fun too," he replied. "It was better than those annoying family reunions right?"

"You hate it too?"

"You don't know... they would ask me to sing and play the piano nonstop that sometimes I think I was hired to be the musician and not to be there as a family member."

"Well someone is not lucky enough to have relatives like yours. Mine was completely opposite. They would talk business stuffs and blabber about their achievements that I don't care about," he said leaning on the headboard. "Its not how I imagine a family reunion is about,"

"Now that you've been here you can come and hide from those family reunions if you want," he offered. "As long as your parents are fine with it,"

"I would come here next Christmas too," he stated. Ryeowook smiled at the possibility of another Christmas spent with Kyuhyun. He just like to spend the time with the people close to his heart. Indeed, he acknowledges the fact that Kyuhyun is someone important to him now. He didn't figured it out what exactly Kyuhyun in his life was, but surely he is more than a best friend to him.

"Hey, Ryeonggu what is that?" he pointed to the trophy that sits on the table beside his keyboard.

"Oh that? Its my trophy from winning the Chin Chin festival. Why?"

"You were in Chin Chin festival? I have a trophy like that too! That's why it looks familiar,"

"Really? I didn't know you were there!"

"I told you before that I joined a singing competition-"

"You didn't mention what competition it was..."

"Fine, its my fault. But what year did you win? Perhaps we have seen each other in the same venue if you were the winner..."

"2004? I did attend the event last year but I don't think I saw you..."

Kyuhyun can't believe at this coincidence but perhaps they were really fated to meet each other. "I wondered if we had been friends if we met at that time,"

"Who knows? But I think meeting you first in the library was better. Its more peaceful than being surrounded by a crowd of strangers."

They fell into a comfortable silence after that while laying side by side on the bed. Kyuhyun glanced at the boy beside him and studied his features. He had grown attached to him in just a couple of months and to him he considers it as a close friendship. A very unusual close friendship between two boys, his sister stated few days before.

Being with Ryeowook he feels like he can do anything even if he is not following the path he wants to be. He had forgotten how heartbroken he is when he decides to follow his parents choice. Ryeowook made him feel that there's more good things to happen in the future for him.

If what he feels is not just friendship then he wants to keep it to himself first. Afraid to stain their beautiful friendship, he chooses to be content being by Ryeowook's side always. After all friendship is still the best foundation of every relationship, platonic or more than that.

He must be looking like an idiot right now as he looks at Ryeowook with that absentminded smile on his face. The other turns and sees him staring so he asked, "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Nothing... just... you look cute right now," he said and Ryeowook turns pink but he hopes the other didn't notice since its only the faint lampshade that gives them light right now. "Why don't you hug your pillow now? I thought you can't sleep without hugging it?"

"Who told you that?? And besides, you're using it right now so I don't have anything to hug!" he pouts which didn't go unnoticed by Kyuhyun.

You can hug me instead, he wants to add but kept to himself. He just simply closed his eyes and lull himself to sleep, it has been a long and happy day for him.

When the other did not reply back Ryeowook turned to his side again only to find the other snoring. "This guy, we were talking and he just fell asleep?" sighing, he also closes his eyes hoping that he could have a good night sleep too.

Habits are habits and you cannot always change it instantly. And for Ryeowook, he unconsciously moved closer to Kyuhyun and hugged him tightly like how he usually hugs his pillow. He looked like a koala right now but if you could lean closer, you will see a contented smile on each other's faces.

 

 

The next morning, Ryeowook escorted him back to the bus station. The two reluctantly had to get up early for Kyuhyun to catch up a ride since many people will be coming back to the city. Kyuhyun bid Ryeowook's parents goodbye and he promised them that he will come back when he have free time. He also thanked them for welcoming him warmly and treating him like their own son.

"By the way Ryeonggu, I left your gift on your bed. You can open it when you get back," he said before he gets ready to climb inside the bus.

"Hmm? I didn't notice it before... and I've put my gift to you in your bag. You will see it when you're home," he replied.

"You got me one?"

"Of course! Silly, why wouldn't I? Of all people, I have to give you one," he said surprised that the other didn't expect him to give him something. "Well, I hope you like it."

"I like it already since it comes from you. I trust your taste in giving gifts," Kyuhyun winked.

"You really...  Just go..." he pushes him towards the door but Kyuhyun steps back to hug him quickly before running inside.

And Ryeowook cannot help but to feel his heart beating madly again and again every time he does sweet things to him.

I'll wait for you next when you come back to the city, his voice lingers in his ears.