Almost Encounter

Destined

Chapter 1  

 

Fate is seen as divinely planned, whereas destiny has the power to be influenced by man’s actions.  –  Anonymous

 

[ 2004 ]

 

“Congratulations, Ryeowook-ssi. I knew you would bring home this trophy the moment I heard your voice,” the lady praised while she approached the surprised kid.

Apparently, Ryeowook didn’t expect to win this competition. He only joined just because his friend insisted. He was too shy with regards to performing in front of many people. And now he’s still shy while accepting words of congratulations from all the people at the event.

At the height of the night, the festival is coming to a close and Ryeowook was already in the backstage and gathering his stuffs – his school bag, the trophy, a bunch of congratulatory flowers and gifts coming from being the winner.

Ryeowook packs up quickly and decides to leave now because he still have a class tomorrow and he only sneaked out today telling his parents that he had something to do with a friend. His parents were always supportive of him and they know his talent, which is why they enrolled him to an art high school. But he’s guilty when he knows that his parents including his teachers want him to use his talent to get in a good university in college. He shouldn’t be joining this kinds of stuffs and expects to be discovered as a singer.

However, a part of him still wants to be a singer onstage and not just finishing a diploma under a course related to music. And he keeps that desire to him because he knows he’ll only disappoint the people around him. He’ll just be a good boy and follow whatever they tell him to do.

He slung his bag on his shoulders and holding the trophy and flowers within his arm. He adjusted his glasses and then went out of the backstage with a cheerful smile. There were still many people outside and some of them were visiting the booths. He saw some highschoolers having fun at the other side. He should have asked his friend to come but he had something important to do that’s why he is alone tonight.

Ryeowook was about to walk away when someone tapped his shoulders. He turned to the stranger who had a smile on her face but the atmosphere was still intimidating.

“Excuse me but you are Ryeowook-ssi right? I saw you perform a while ago and I thought you have a good voice,”

Ryeowook’s face flushed at another praise given at him. As if he wasn’t used to it since almost everyday his teachers praise his talents.

“Thank you ma’am,” he murmured.

“You have the talent that I’ve been looking for. By any chance, do you want to become a singer someday?”

“Uhhh... I do plan to take music in the future, but I...I don’t think I can be a singer someday,”

“Why? Don’t waste that voice of yours. Take this,” she offers a card to him. “I work at SM entertainment and we are currently looking for trainees like you. Feel free to come to the auditions when you have time,”

Ryeowook stared at the card for long time before he hesitantly accepted it. “I hope you consider this offer,” the lady said before bidding him goodbye.

He stood there still staring at the card in his hand. He had long accepted that he will never be a singer just like the people he watches on the television. He is now content with just performing in small stages like this festival or at his school. He had long decided that he will follow his teacher’s advice of him to study well to get into a good college, perhaps SNU if he is lucky.

What he had on his hand right now can be his ticket to the dream that he had pushed away. Can he dare to dream again? Will he take this chance?

There’s nothing wrong in trying... right?

 

 

**

 

A few weeks later Ryeowook found himself standing in front of the camera as he records his audition piece at SM. He did follow the stranger’s suggestion and went in for an audition himself. He didn’t tell his parents nor his friends and teachers yet. They don’t need to know anything yet until he was told that he was accepted. If he told them that he’s going for an audition today they might have stopped him or said things that might guilt him. For now, he just needs to follow his heart. If he fails then maybe it isn’t the right path for him.

“Okay Ryeowook-ssi the video will start at the count of three. Please introduce yourself first and tell us a thing or two about you and what you will be doing,” the staff told him and suddenly Ryeowook became nervous although he is the only audience right now. “One – two – three,”

“Good morning, my name is Kim Ryeowook and I’m at my final year in high school. Today I will be singing a song. I hope you like it,” he said and in few seconds he started to sing the song that he had been practicing since the day he decided to go this audition.

Ryeowook poured out all his inspiration while singing and when he was finished he found the staff's mouth hanging in surprise. Clearly the staff did not expect someone as small and shy like Ryeowook would be able to sing like this.

"You have a voice like an angel! I have never heard someone sing that songs as good as you. SM will be damned if they wouldn't accept you because I'm sure the other labels will gladly grab you the moment they hear your voice,"

"Uhhh... thanks," he smiled faintly feeling embarrassed by his compliment. "I'm still lacking in many ways,"

"But still I like your voice. I'll let the trainers listen to this. Perhaps they will be able to convince them," he said.

He listened to his ramblings and for once he felt like believing in his self. He felt like he can do more and fulfill the dream he set aside because of lack of confidence. Maybe this time he is allowed to hope. To hope for his dreams.

 

 

**

 

“Hey Ryeowook are you done with your assignment? Can I borrow your book?” the boy looked at his seatmate one afternoon. Their teacher had dismissed them early for them to prepare for the exams the next day.

Ryeowook nodded. “Yup... here do you need it?” he said extending his hand to give him the book. “You can have it and give it back to me tomorrow,”

“What you will not study for the exam?” his friend asked surprised.

“Don’t worry I can use my notes,” Ryeowook smiled and slung his bag on his shoulders. “I’ll head home first, bye”

He wasn’t hurrying home to get ready for the round of exams tomorrow. He wants to go home to find out if the news that he had been waiting for months had arrived. He is getting anxious and a little impatient but there’s nothing he could do but to wait.

 

“Did you watch their stage last week? Omo Yunho looked so perfect in that outfit! I swear he looks like a prince!!!”

“Jae slayed the performance with his high note – ”

“My baby is the best among your biases!!!”

Ryeowook passed by a bunch of girls who were gossiping about the latest updates about their favourite idol groups. TVXQ is now the hot item to his girl classmates which makes the boys groan and roll their eyes. He also had his own likes and dislikes in music but Ryeowook would only smile whenever some of his classmates giggle and talk nonstop about how handsome their biases are. Normally Ryeowook never listened to their gossips but this time something caught his attention.

“Wait... did you watch last night’s music show? I saw a new group,”

“Ohhh is it the one that the other girls were talking about?”

“Its a new group from SM! I wonder if they will be taking away the attention from TVXQ now,”

“NO WAY!!! I won’t let that happen! I’ll go personally to SM!”

 

Ryeowook remembered the one and only time he had been inside the building. He happened to pass by one of the practice rooms and he saw a set of trainees practicing choreography. He wondered if they were the ones the girls were talking about.

“They have weird hairstyles. One of them actually looks like a girl,”

“I heard they were friends with the TVXQ since they trained together,”

Ryeowook heard enough and decided to go home and take a look at this group himself. When he got home he found his mother, auntie and younger cousin in the living room. He greeted them with awarm smile but his eyes caught the sight of the television which no one was paying attention to at the moment. Looking at the ones currently performing he recognized some faces even though he had only seen them for a brief moment.

Ryeowook had his eyes fixed on the screen until the end of the song. He felt a slight hint of bitterness in his heart for no reason. He wondered why suddenly he feels his heart aching.  Without realizing the weird look his mother had on him, he went straight to his room without looking back.

He doesn’t understand what he feels. Is he irritated? Or perhaps jealous that they had a chance to stand onstage.

He wants to be like that too. He tried following that path when it presented to him but until now he is waiting. He is waiting for that confirmation to come.

 

But he didn’t know that he is waiting for nothing.

 

 

**

 

Exactly a year had passed and now Ryeowook is at the festival again for a duty that he needs to do. As the winner of last year’s competition, he needs to come and see the new set of contestants. If he was to be asked, he didn’t want to come back because he is afraid that he might see again that lady who gave him false hopes. He didn’t want any disappointments anymore.

But he had no choice when his friend dragged him to the venue and now they are sitting at the front and watching the performers.

“What do you think of her?” his friend suddenly asked him out of nowhere.

Ryeowook turned to him with a ‘who are you talking about’ look on his face. His friend looked at the stage talking about the girl currently singing.

“She’s fine. But I think there will be singers better than her,” he nonchalantly replied.

“I’m not really talking about the skills here you know. I asking you about her looks or what you think about her as a person,”

Ryeowook was starting to get bored that night but his friend’s last sentence awakened his senses. He looked at him with questioning eyes. “Are you interested at her? You don’t even personally know her!”

“Idiot. She’s a schoolmate! Maybe you don’t know her but I’m surprised that you didn’t recognize her face. We passed by her classroom everyday!”

“Ohhh..... really? I really don’t remember her face,” Ryeowook honestly said. “I guess she’s fine. But I think you need to be friends with her first before you court her. You know, its better to get to know each other first.”

“Yeah, I’m planning to do that. I really can’t stop staring at her whenever she passes by us at school. I’m surprised you didn’t notice me crushing on her. Aren’t you interested with anyone?”

Topics like this make Ryeowook uncomfortable. Its not like he hates falling in love but he never had an interest with anyone yet, at least a serious one.  For Ryeowook he believes that when he finally meets the right person he will feel a familiar recognition with that person. Its not really love at first sight but he believes that soulmates have a way of connecting with each other. After all aren’t soulmates the other half of each other’s soul?

“I haven't felt anything to anyone I have met so maybe I haven’t crossed paths with that person yet,” Ryeowook said his thoughts still trained at the word ‘soulmate’. He knows he will be in love at the right moment at the right person.

“Hey, I’ll just go to the restroom for a minute,” he excused himself determined to cut this conversation because he doesn’t want to talk about it at the moment.

 

 

While the other went away another contestant stepped onstage. His eyes scanned the audience as his nervousness starts creeping up his legs to stomach. Disregarding the intimidating stares of the audience and judges he held up his mic to his mouth and started singing.

The people watching were stunned to silence as they listened to the rich honey voice coming from the boy. The raw talent of the boy is pure and it seems like the judges finally found the rightful winner of the night.

The boy sings his heart out earning applause from everyone once he was finished with his piece. A little smile can be seen on his face as he was able to satisfy the audience. He bowed down 90 degrees to everyone and headed to the backstage again.

Just as he exited the stage Ryeowook walked inside the venue and back to his seat. “What did I miss?” he asked his friend.

“You just missed the best singer for the night! What did you do inside the restroom? You’re gone for so long!”

He ignored his last sentence. “Really? I thought the girl was the best for you... Is it another girl?” he asked amused.

“Yah! It’s a boy... and he had just impressed everyone in the room. Why are you missing all the good things tonight?” he said frustrated at Ryeowook’s inability to relate to him. However his friend wasn’t bothered by this. He’s sure that he will meet that person later as the winner if he is really the best here.

 

 

The line of contestants run out as the night go deeper and its finally the time to announce the winner. Ryeowook’s friend was eager to point out the boy he was talking about a while ago. Ryeowook was curious about it himself but it seems that he is not fated to meet this mysterious person.

Just as all the participants were coming out of from the backstage, Ryeowook’s phone rang and he got a message from his father telling him to go home now. Looking at his friend guiltily, he said sorry for leaving him early. Ryeowook can’t stay anymore since its already late so he bid his friend goodbye.

He never heard the emcee’s announcement of winner as the honey-voiced boy won just like what everybody predicted.

“Congratulations Cho Kyuhyun, you’re the winner for this year’s festival!”