.2.

Life Support

Present Day 

Hansol woke up early in the morning, pretzeled in his silk sheets and duvet cover. The sun shined harshly through his windows, casting dark shadows throughout his room. With a few groans, he reached for a button above his room for the intercom and called down to the maid, "Ji Ok, bring me some breakfast and coffee."

The sleepy boy didn't think about thanking her as the fifty-something woman wearing a maid's costume brought him eggs, bacon, and a large mug of coffee. The steam rose from it and warmth instantly woke Hansol up. Wiping the sleep from his eyes, he pushed off so his upper half was resting on his headboard and took the silver tray from Ji Ok.

"You're free to go." Hans said, waving his hand to dismiss her. She left without a sound and Hansol dug into his slightly over cooked eggs and crispy bacon. The bitter coffee washed it all down as he took his last bites and headed to his closet to dress himself.

He chose a name brand, black cardigan and T-shirt, paired with black combat boots and denim jeans with leather accents. The process took about fifteen minutes due to the overwhelming clothing options hanging on the hooks of his closet. His jeans slightly squeaked from the leather as Hansol walked down the twin staircase. The two wrapped around the grand foyer and met in the center with a large black piano inbetween. It played softly as he found his way to the kitchen where his parents sat at the island.

He rolled his eyes seeing his mother and father holding hands across the flat surface. The thought of the two being back together after his father was caught in bed with the previous maid, Mina, made his stomach churn. Hansol may be rude and pretentious, but even he could never fathom cheating on the one he loves, even though he hadn't found that person just yet.

The two were drinking coffee with their free hands, and Hans noticed the large stack of papers between them. To catch their attention, he cleared his throat and they turned to him. A face of disappointment and anger crossed his father's face and Hansol immediately grew nervous.

He knew what going on. In the back of his mind, he pictured himself sneaking into the house at three o'clock in the morning and his father sitting on the steps waiting for him.

"Do you have any idea what time it is, Hansol?!" His father spat at him, clearly angry, "I have been calling you nonstop. Where is your phone?" Hansol simply rolled his eyes and walked up the stairs, passing his father on the way up.

"Hansol Vernon Chwe!" He called as Hansol slammed the door to his room and climbed onto his bed. It was apparent he will be getting punished for his actions last night, but he didn't care. His father clicked his nails on the granite countertop, gathering his thoughts.

"We're tired, Vernon. We're tired of you being so disrespectful and inconsiderate. We have tried everything

and nothing had workec. You need to change." Hansol was surprised that his father was this calm. Usually when he was in trouble, a screaming match would occur within seconds.

"I don't need to do anything." Hansol muttered, clearly annoyed while taking out his phone and texting his friends.

"Yes you do, sweetie. You need to change. If you continue on this path, you are never going to be liked. You treat everybody so horribly."

The lecture he'd being given was getting dull and he chose a game to play, avoiding any and all eye contact with his parents.

"So we've decided to set you up with a volunteer opportunity-" Hansol immediately cut his mother off, dropping his phone to the hard, tile floor in the process. It may be broken, but he could just buy another one.

"Are you joking?! A volunteer opportunity? I don't even have a damn job!"

"You do now," Mr. Chwe interrupted, "at the hospital down the street. You'll be shadowing doctors and taking care of sick children. Maybe then you'll realize the importance of respect and care."

Hansol couldn't believe this. He couldn't volunteer. What kind of cruel punishment was this? Taking care of people, let alone kids, was the last thing Hans would ever think of doing.

"I'm not doing that. You two can go fúck yourselves." Hansol spat before turning on his heels to leave. But, he stopped by a sentence he never thought he would hear.

"Refuse, and you're getting cut off and disowned"

"What?" He asked. He must have misheard his father.

"Refuse the internship, and you will be kicked out. Your car, debit and credit cards, savings, and phone will be taken away. You will have nothing. Either way, you'll learn what it's like to not have what we have. Maybe then, you'll turn yourself around," The graying man slid the jumble of papers from the middle of the island to the corner where Hansol  stood. He clicked a pen and placed it on the stack, "sign it or don't. It's your decision."

Hansol seriously debated the decision for a long while. He couldn't picture himself helping a single soul in a single way. He'd been like this for as long as he could remember. On the other hand, he also couldn't picture himself without money. His money was the most important to him. But perhaps that wad exactly what his parents were talking about.

No. He didn't have to change. He was perfectly fine, well actually perfectly perfect, the way he was.

Hansol took the pen in his hand and twirled it around, debating his decision. He couldn't live without his money and cars. He simply couldn't. And with that thought and with a single , he signed the packet of papers which had the heading "Volunteer Agreement" stamped on the top of each page.

"I'm glad you've made this decision, lad." Hansol's father said as he nodded his head and left the kitchen. His mother smiled and kissed his cheek, following Mr. Chwe.

Hansol was left alone in the stale kitchen with just his thoughts. He couldn't help but feel there was something brewing. Something life changing was going to happen.His thoughts were then distracted by the ringing of his cell phone. It was a text message from his best mate, Shiwon. 

I'm here, loser. We're going shopping xx.

Hansol grabbed his wallet from the counter and jogged out to Shiwon's brand new Porsche. The curly haired boy smiled as Hansol found his spot in the passenger seat and they made their way to Gangnam street.