.11.

Life Support

Hansol's alarm blared is both of the teens' ears and Soo Jin woke up abruptly, shifting in the bed and waking up Hansol along with it. The muscular boy sat up, stretching and yawning briefly. Soo Jin giggled at the sight and poked him in the chest before pushing herself into her chair and wheeling into the bathroom to brush her teeth and fix her hair.                     

Hansol, on the other hand, just popped a mint into his mouth and gathered his things in his suitcase, zipping it shut. He looked at his suitcase and saw how deflated it was. In the past, even if he was going somewhere for as little as twenty-four hours, his suitcase would be full of outfits. Soo Jin’s was full of medication and equipment so her suitcase was full to the brim.

Hansol picked up both suitcases and brought them to the car, shouting he will be right back. The latter sat on the toilet seat of the large bathroom, taking a few breaths after getting winded from brushing her teeth. Annoyance filled her to the brim and she clutched her face in her palms, resisting the urge to cry. She couldn't even complete simple tasks like brushing her own teeth anymore.                       

Her silent cries were interrupted by small raps at the bathroom door and she wiped her cheeks before stepping out. Hansol was dressed in a white t-shirt that showed off his muscular chest, black skinny jeans, and khaki colored boots. Soo Jin looked him up and down and smirked before getting back into her wheelchair with Hansol behind her.                       

The two made their way to Hansol's Range Rover and drove off. They made it with five minutes left and Soo Jin was swept away from Hansol. Min Woo took out all of Soo Jin's temporary machinery and immediately hooked her back up to the permanent machines. Soo Jin winced at all of the needles and tubes. Min Woo was a little too rough with his work, but Soo Jin didn't say anything to be rude.                      

"Here take this," Min Woo demanded, "it'll ease some of your pain. But it might make you quite drowsy." Soo Jin took the small violet pill and swallowed it. It got stuck in for a second, but went down with a gulp of water. Min Woo then left her alone to her own thoughts. Her mind travelled back to yesterday's events.                       

Soo Jin really enjoyed the day out she and Hansol had, but one question was burning into her skull since they left: was it a date? She couldn't imagine Hansol taking her on a date. Maybe it was just to be nice or because he wanted to get away? Soo Jin pondered the questions for a long while before coming up with a solution.                    

Her stomach immediately dropped as she picked up the intercom button. She didn't know if she could do this. Could she really tell Hansol she truly liked him and has for quite some time now? Would that even spark something in Hansol to where he'll consider yesterday a date?                       

Soo Jin nearly dropped the intercom, but pressed the button, "Can you please send Chwe Hansol to my room?" The nurse on the other end said yes fairly sweetly and within minutes, Hansol was in the room wearing his scrubs with a curious look on his face.

"What's up?" Hansol asked, sitting down on the end of Soo Jin's bed.                     

“Can we talk for a second?" Soo Jin's breathe hitched and she couldn't believe this was happening.                      

"Sure, what is it?" Hansol began to grow worried. Soo Jin's face grew more nervous and red and she couldn't hold it in anymore.                       

"I like you. I have liked you. For a while, actually. And I'm just confused. You're being so nice to me and yesterday- I don't know- I'm just confused as to whether it was a date or not." Hansol was shocked. He knew Soo Jin liked him, but he didn't know it had been for a while.                     

He never thought of whether yesterday was a date or not. He couldn't deny that there were feelings forming for Soo Jin but in the back of his head, is it really worth it? Soo Jin could die at any given moment, and Hansol didn't know whether it was fair to either of them. But how selfish is that?                        

"I-um-" Hansol couldn't conjure any words. They sounded clear in his head, but when they reached his mouth, they hitched and didn't make any sense.                        

“What?" Soo Jin asked, regretting calling Hansol in. She should've kept shut. She just ruined everything she'd worked for.                       

"I can't deny what I'm feeling. I have feelings towards you, but I've never really felt this way about anyone and I don't know what to do with them. I don't want to hurt you and I don't want to be hurt." Hansol finally mustered up a few sentences. Soo Jin hung her head, thinking. Hansol does like her, but what does this even mean?                     

"So what does this mean for us?"

"I don't know. This situation that you're in- it's complicated." Hansol whisper-talked. He didn't want to say anything to upset Soo Jin, but by the look that is now on the sick girl's face, he already had.                       

“My situation?" Soo Jin spat, "What is that supposed to mean? Because I could die, you don't want to admit that you truly like me and that you would like a future with me?" Hansol's expression went soft and he grasped Soo Jin's hand and squeezed it tightly.                    

"That's not what I mean. I mean, yes it is hard. I do like you. It's just hard for me to admit it because I've hurt you so much in the past and I know I won't be able to fix it within these next few weeks." Hansol felt tears rolling down his cheeks and gasped. He couldn't remember the last time he'd cried, let alone over somebody else.                   

Soo Jin moved forward, wiping her tears away, "Funny. Usually I'm the one crying. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to explode like that. I'm just so stressed," Soo Jin moved forward once again, nearly in Hansol's lap, "but it's going to be okay. I'm going to be okay. You don't need to be worried about all of these because we have right now to be concerned about."                     

Hansol nodded, "You're right." Hansol looked at Soo Jin and his eyes fell on her lips and he immediately felt the need to kiss her. He remembered the day Soo Jin kissed him and missed the feeling of her lips on his even though it lasted a matter of a second. Her lips tasted like vanilla and cocoa butter, something Hansol thought he couldn’t get enough of.                     

Soo Jin noticed his stares, inching her face closer and closer to Hansol's.

"Can I-" Hansol asked, cupping Soo Jin's small face in his large hands.

"Kiss me." Soo Jin replied, smiling. Hansol pressed his lips on Soo Jin's and that familiar taste filled his mouth. Soo Jin closed her eyes and their mouths moved in sync, opening and closing to their own rhythm.                      

 Their breathing rates increased and it started to get warm in the room. Hansol stuck out his tongue slightly, slicking it across Soo Jin's bottom lip and he shivered, loving the feeling. Soo Jin allowed the foreign object in and as soon as their tongue met, a beep could be heard from behind them and a loud voice filled the room.

"Hansol to room 381, Hansol to room 381." Hansol sighed, disconnecting their lips and getting up from the bed.

"I'll be back later." Hansol whispered in Soo Jin's ear. Soo Jin nodded and smiled, brushing her fingers against her lips. The same minty taste she tasted last time they kissed lingered on his breath once again.                       

Soo Jin was right, Hansol thought, all they have is right now. They need to make the best of it.