The Long Distance Thing

A Simple Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was running as fast as her slender legs could manage against the hailstorm that pounded on the ground relentlessly.  Her hair was damp and stuck to her neck and face like sticky-tack.  Every couple of seconds she would glance behind her, not seeing anything but, nevertheless, feeling like something was after her.  Her bare feet came down on the hard cement floor again and again and again, leaving a stinging ache that reverberated to her entire body.  Again, she was only dressed in a thin, beige chiffon dress that clung to her body, making her feel utterly exposed.  “I really should check the weather forecast more often,” she thought fleetingly as a piece of hail the size of her thumbnail hit her shoulder.  Now her breathing was starting to come out in short, exhausted gasps—partly due to the cold and partly because she did not have a very strong cardiovascular system to say the least.  “And maybe I should hit the gym more often too…” she thought, throwing another quick glance behind her.  Once again, she saw nothing but darkness.  The ache in Jessica’s muscles was practically begging her to stop sprinting but her mind still sensed danger.  Eventually, her muscles won the battle and she came to a gradual stop.  She bent down and rested her hands on top of her shaky knees, trying to calm her breathing and soothe her muscles.  Just then an overpoweringly bright light shone on the ground and Jessica had to shield her eyes for a minute to adjust.  She lifted her hand off her eyes a split second before a roaring semi occupied her entire view, crashing into her.  Then, all she saw was red. 

Jessica bolted upright, her heart beating what felt like a million times per minute.  Her hands were shaking as she flicked the switch to her bedside lamp on and used the back of her sleeve to wipe the beads of sweat that shone on her forehead.  It took her a couple seconds to shake off the nightmare and actually register where she was.  The huge framed portrait of Krystal and Jessica which hung directly in front of the bed told her that she was in her house and in her room.  She let out a small, dejected sigh when she realized that Jiyong wasn’t beside her to comfort her.  He hadn’t been there for the past two weeks.  Suddenly, her phone began to ring underneath her pillow, causing Jessica to let out a startled scream before her hands roamed around on her bed in search of the phone.  Excitement filled her as her eyes scanned the caller ID.

“Yeobosiyo?” Jessica asked excitedly.

She was greeted by Jiyong’s attractive chuckle before he said, “Happy to hear from me, I presume?”

“Sorry, new phone.  Who dis?” Jessica joked and smiled brightly as she heard Jiyong’s laugh on the other line. 

“How are you doing baby?  Were you sleeping?” Jiyong asked, his voice low and raspy.

“I’m okay... I was sleeping but woke up before you called.  Perfect timing on your part, I must say.”

“What can I say, I have a natural knack for these things,” Jiyong bragged and she could practically feel his arrogant grin creeping in.

“So cocky, I swear,” she muttered under her breath.

“What was that?” Jiyong asked amusedly.

“What?” Jessica asked back innocently.  She heard him laugh again and felt a warmth spread to her heart that only he could bring out.

“Sica,” he groaned, “you drive me crazy, chincha”.

“You were already crazy before I even showed up,” she teased with a laugh.

“Well you make me crazier.”

“I don’t think that’s possible.”

“Obviously it is if you did it already.”

“Noooo.”

“Yeeees.”

“Prove it.”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter