The Diagnosis

A Simple Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica gulped as she patiently awaited the psychologist's diagnosis.

"So, based on this very brief session we've had, it looks like you most likely have a slight case of PTSD, which is also known as post traumatic stress disorder.  Now, don't be too alarmed, since your case is more mild than most.  But from my analysis, over the past couple of years, you have had a major change in lifestyle which can be hard to cope with and can even cause depression or an identity crisis for some individuals.  The fact that the only reactions you've been having are a few nightmares a month, shows that you have other means of dealing with the situation.  This links directly to your boyfriend.  I can tell, from the guests you've brought with you to my office today and the way you speak about your boyfriend, that he is a major support in your life, which explains why you feel safe and secure in his arms and do not have nightmares when he is around.  Although this is great and has minimized your symptoms of PTSD so far, it is also important for you to find other, individualized coping methods that can strengthen your sense of identity.  The fact that you are always running away from something and are barefoot shows that you are vulnerable, yet try to push forward through your tough situations before even making sure you're properly fit to do so. Also, when you repeatedly feel like something is chasing you, it is usually because your sense of trust has been broken before and you're afraid it will happen again, so you re-think and double guess yourself and others around you.  However, at the same time, you are also afraid of being alone.  This is seen by the fact that you're only wearing thin clothes against the harsh wind and weather.  The clothes on your body represent your final "barrier" so to speak, from getting hurt by the "weather". In the same way your boyfriend is like that final barrier, and the only thing protecting you," The doctor said.

"Ohh, alright," Jessica nodded along and was surprised to find that the information made a lot of sense.

"So, Jessica-shi, what I would recommend for you is to cope with your traumatic situation by focusing on yourself and trying to once again discover the passions you had from before.  And I would like to set up another appointment with you at the end of the month to see your progress and answer any other questions or concerns you may have," the doctor smiled warmly and stood up, offering his hand to Jessica.

"Sounds good, thank you for your help, Dr. Park." Jessica replied and shook his hand.

"Well, if there are no other questions at the moment, I will let you guys go.  It was a pleasure meeting all three of you," Dr. Park said as he shook hands with Mrs. Kwon and Dami, "good luck!"

"Thank you," Jessica bowed again as they exited the office.

"Well, that does make sense!" Jessica exclaimed as they stepped out of the office and were immediately enveloped in the dim light of the moon.

"Yes, dear.  I'm glad we figured it out once and for all.  And I'm sorry for not letting Jiyong sleep over last night.  It probably would've prevented that nightmare," Mrs. Kwon said bluntly, causing Dami to cough awkwardly and Jessica to blush embarassedly.

"So, what shall we eat for supper?" Jessica diverted the topic away from her life as she looped one arm through Dami's arm and the other through Mrs. Kwon's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday

"It's not too late to back out," Jessica teased as Jiyong parked his car in front of Jessica's house, where a feast was awaiting them.

"And why would I want to do that?" Jiyong raised a brow as he turned off the engine and undid his seatbelt.

"Because my dad is there."

Jiyong froze for a second before starting to pull on his seatbelt again and jokingly say, "okay let's go.  My house?"

"It won't be that bad!" Jessica laughed and stopped him from turning on the car again, "I talk about you all the time to him, against his wishes mostly, but the important thing is that he knows how much you mean to me."

"Do I know how much I mean to you?" Jiyong asked playfully and cocked his head to the side.

"Yes, in fact I think you overestimate it a lot," Jessica joked and mimicked his tone of voice.

Jiyong laughed before reaching around to undo her seatbelt for her, making sure to with his proximity. Then, he got out and opened her door, gallantly offering her his hand and closing the door behind her.  When they were a couple feet away, Jiyong pressed the lock button on his car remote over his shoulder.  The loud honk that answered in response, startled Jessica a little.

"I can't tell if you're locking your car or setting off a bomb," Jessica laughed and rang the doorbell to her house.

A couple seconds later, the door swung open enthusiastically and Jessica's Mom greeted them in her colourful cooking apron and a warm smile.

"Omo! Our Jiyong has grown up," Mrs.Jung exclaimed as he hugged both Jessica and Jiyong at the same time.

"Mom, it's only been a couple months," Jessica remarked with a laugh.

"Ommonie, I missed your warm hugs," Jiyong said charmingly as they broke apart from the hug.

"Aigoo, you're still your charming self," Mrs. Jung exclaimed and pinched his cheek, making Jessica laugh, "come in, come in!  The table is set already!"

Jessica interlaced her hand with Jiyong's as her mom led them to the dining room.  When they reached the dinner table, they saw that the table wasn't just set, it was exquisitely set.  Mrs. Jung had outdone herself with the creative way she'd arranged all of the little side dishes and the main dishes as well.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter