Stranded I

Coffee Break

“Amber come down, breakfast is ready!”

“Yes mom, just a sec!”

Today is another day at college. I’m Amber Liu, a sophomore student at SM University and I’m taking up multimedia arts. Swinging by bag on my shoulder and putting the camera bag on the other side, I came down to eat my mom’s delicious breakfast. During the first few months as a newbie in the university, my dad used to send me to school by car but later on I refused saying I wanted to be independent, and because I love street photography. It is fun capturing moments from the day to day lives of the people. I was also a member of the school’s official online publication as a photographer, snapping photos of different students and their lives inside the university.

“Hey Amber, can you have these papers signed by Prof. Park? He’s currently at the Main building at the Secretary’s office.” Yoona said. She was one of the juniors in the organization.

“Sure thing, unnie!” I was about to get up and head towards the door but she called me again.

“Oh Amber, I almost forgot. After you get those papers signed head towards the office downstairs so they can approve it. Thanks, Amber.” She smiled and resumed typing to her laptop.

“Arraseo. See you later unnie!” I waved and head out of the building.

I was walking along the hallways of the building while looking down silently reading the papers on my hand, when suddenly I was bumped at my shoulder by someone. I bent down to help her pick up her papers and handed it to her.

“Sorry about that, are you okay?” I asked the girl in front of me.

“Yes, thank you and I’m sorry too. I’m in a rush...” after that I didn’t quite heard everything she said. I felt my mouth slightly open by its own as I saw such a beautiful creature before me. The light coming from the windows gives shine to her hair that is resting on her shoulders. She has a cold gaze coming from her cat like eyes but I bet that when she smiles, it can easily melt your heart.

I started coming back to my senses when I heard her saying her goodbye and thanking me for helping her and all I can do is nod in return. I was so busy studying the details of her delicate face and I felt bad coz I wasn’t listening to her. When I was about to get up, I saw a handkerchief lying on the floor. Then I remembered the girl earlier accidentally drop this earlier. When I turn around to call her, I saw that she wasn’t there anymore. So I kept it inside my pocket for the mean time, and I smiled because I’m keeping something from my crush.  

I walked back to the student center to hand these signed papers to the office for approval. I took a seat and waited in line for my turn. Afterwards, I heard to door open and for the second time I felt my mouth opened again, but this time I quickly composed myself. I don’t want to look like some idiot in front of her. “It’s her!” I shouted inside my head.

She quietly took the seat beside me. “Ahh, she’s here for some papers too.” The whole time of waiting is quiet. Well what do you expect? Me and her are completely strangers.

“Does she remember me? Well of course not Amber, who are you to her by the way?” Okay now I’m talking to myself. I’m itching to start a conversation with her but I can’t think of any topic to be talked about. I’m not usually like this, I usually find myself easy to mingle with others. “Ugh.” I mentally groaned.

“So she’s a science student” I said to myself as I briefly turn my head to look at her. I just don’t know what her major is. Then suddenly a light bulb moment hit me, I remember that I still got her handkerchief. I fished it out of my pocket and ready myself to give it to her. Dammit my hands are shaking. I took a deep breath before calling her attention.

“Uhm. Excuse me...” I slightly poke her arm to get her attention. She pulled out her earphones and turn her head towards me. “... I believe this is yours. We bumped into each other earlier so I think you drop this.” I said as I handed the handkerchief.

“Ah yes!” She smiled and damn it makes my heart flutter. “Thank you.” She said and looked at me. Then I think she was about to ask my name but someone called me saying that it is my turn, I felt slightly disappointed and just nodded politely at her.

 

Since that day, I usually stay at the plaza in front of her building just to see if I could get even just a glimpse of her. Seeing her even jure for a mere second completes my day. I think I’ve fallen in love with her. Hard.

Krystal Jung. I came to know her name just a few days after that bumping incident. It’s my free time and I went straight to our office in the student center to just chill cause I don’t have anything else to do. While I was lazily scrolling the news feed of my SNS, I saw her in one of my friend’s photo. My boring day turned out to be one of the happiest days of my life. Also, I came to know that she’s also a member a religious youth organization and their office was just on the 3rd floor near the stairs, while ours is on the 4th. Since then I prefer to use the stairs instead of the elevator just to see if she’s there, and I can also use some workout.

 

“Aren’t you tired of staring that picture?” I heard Hyoyeon whispered to me after she closed the book that she’s been reading for hours.

“No.”

“How long will you do that?” She said as she quietly yawns and stretched her arms.

“I dunno. I’m not planning to stop.” I shrugged. “OUCH WHAT’S THAT FOR?!” I shouted at her because she just smacked my head, and suddenly a bunch of students turned their attention to me, surprised by my sudden outburst. The librarian suddenly walks over us and glared at me and I nodded apologetically in return. Then I turned to Hyoyeon at is silently laughing beside me.

“Sorry dude, but it was funny.” I shot a glare on her and she wiped her tears from laughing hard. “Seriously dude, if you really want her then go talk to her! Not just taking some pictures of her from a distance without her knowing. Don’t be some stalker.”

“I... I don’t know Hyo. I’m shy to ask.” I slump my shoulders and sighed.

“Wow that’s new, Amber Liu is being shy to people. Hey, aren’t Seohyun and her are in the same org?” She asked.

“Yeah... why?”

“Nothing. You can get help from Seohyun then...” I don’t know if it’s a good idea. “... hey I’m gonna take a nap, wake me up after half an hour.” While Hyo is in deep sleep, I resume browsing my pictures of Krystal on my laptop. Even though I’ve seen them many times already, I just can’t enough her.