Chapter

Nerium
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Don't you want to eat anything?" The woman sat in front of me mutters with a note pad in her hand, the pen eager to write brushes against the paper. My eyes flicker to the words written on the pad.

'unresponsive, ignorant, loss of appetite, does not talk to others'

As I see the word father my eyes flicker away, not wanting to read what they have to say about him. The smell of the toast and jam in front of me is becoming slightly sickening, I push it away from me, flinching at the pain in my arm.

"Does your head still hurt? Do you think you could talk about your dad?" 

I flinch at the thoughts of him dripping into my mind like a bad dose of morphene, I shudder and shake my head, biting my lip. I wish she would go away, I wish she would stop asking me all these questions.

"Aren't you going to say anything to me? No one here will hurt you" she says sympathetically, I meet her gaze and look at her smile, the wrinkles under her eyes making her look strangely motherly.

The more I pay attention to her the more lonely I become, the more I come to realise that I have no one, I rub my eyes to get rid of the wet residue, I must of had something in my eye. 

"Why are you asking me all these questions?" I finally mutter, I hear a sigh of relief pass by her lips, she grins like she had achieved a reward. 

This is the only time have talked to her; talked to anyone in the whole week that I have been here, she seems less defeated than before, maybe I should of kept my mouth shut.

"Truthfully, this sort of thing doesn't happen to kids in here often" she mutters, getting a folder out of her bag, she lies the lilac folder on the table and pushes it gently towards me.

I timidly move my hands from under the table and reach out to flick it open, I see a profile of information on the first page, 'Min Yoongi, 25'. Continuing down the page there is his current residence and relationship information, this looks much like what I imagine a job application to look like, just less personal information. 

I look up to her questionably, she is still smiling "We have someone who wants to adopt you already, although he wanted information about you..." She lets out an exhausted laugh "Which we wasn't able to get"

I flick the page of the violet folder, seeing what I'm assuming to be a photo of him. I feel my chest constrict as I look at his features, I let out a little gasp cowering back into my chair. His manly features are strangely intimidating, I feel my bones lock up as I shake my head.

"I understand your reaction, but he is a really nice man, he has a daughter of his own but she lives with his ex wife" she pauses looking at my face, she smiles again, although I don't realise a tear escapes my eye and my hands are trembling.

"You are very lucky to get this offer...some kids have been in here for years" she says In a quieter voice, leaning into the table "if I was you, I would take the first opportunity out of here" she winks at me and I swallow hard.

Can I deal with being in the presence of another man again, the thought of him hugging me causes a tremor to rock through me, but his eyes look kind. His eyes look like they have seen a thousand souls. 

She is right about this adoption centre, a week of being here and I am already pining to get out. The food is bland and there is almost always no snacks or anything to do. I am one of the oldest here, I feel out of place. None of the other workers care for me like she does.

When I say care, I mean she is the only one that bothers to talk to me. 

I let out a ragged sigh, trying to resolve my thoughts. I have a one way ticket out of this place, all I have to do is go with him, maybe I won't have to talk to him a lot...

It could work out.

But what if he is like my dad? What if he hurts me and screams at me?

The woman sees my face crumple as I have these thoughts, she bites her lip "We did a background check for extra precaution because of your...past experiences" she flicks the page and shows me a photo of the man called Yoongi stood in front of a class, I feel a tiny prickle of relief spread through me. 

"He is a teacher, so physical violence is out of the picture, also considering he has a daughter of his own....I think you should take this opportunity"

A large debate swirls inside of my head, fighting with my fears and wants. Before my anxieties can grasp my decision I nod, pushing the folder back with a trembling hand.

She gently places her hand on top of mine "Don't you worry about a thing Eunji, I'll make sure everything is ok" Her eyes flicker to the clock, she smiles, a smile full of hope.

"I hope you don't mind but I invited him around, just so you could see him and see how you feel"

My breath gets caught in my throat, I choke it out "y-yes" I begin to breathe heavily as I get up from the chair and push it under the table, my eyes go wide as I look towards the floor.

He is coming here, I'm going to see him.

I hold myself unconsciously just before I am startled by a hand that is softly placed on my head, avoiding the cut in my skull "You should go and get your stuff ready I know you have a lot, change if you would feel more comfortable okay? You have an hour!" She calls after me as I had begun to exit the room.

I nod again, my fists in balls at my side as I rush up the stairs, I gasp a breath.    How crazy am I to agree to this, I'm going to meet a man who wants to take me away. What if he hurts me once I'm there? What if he doesn't feed me? 

"It's better t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter