Kai: Birthday, Not Birthday

Trash Can

[150114] 

BIRTHDAY, NOT BIRTHDAY
(a birthday project)

 

 

You heave out a deep sigh after a gulp of water, "Such a long and exhausting day." You were heading back home after practicing all day. While passing by the corridors you saw lights on in EXOs practice room, you gulp down another mouthful of water and put the lid back on to check the time on your cell phone.

 

14 december, 2015. Wednesday. 3:23am.

 

You just stood there, for about a whole minute, thinking what to do. "Oh, I guess I could just drop in for a minute!" You said smiling to yourself, excited with the thought itself.

 

"Hey~ ..?" you trailed off into a question. Only one member? Damn!

 

Kim Kai stopped on his moves and turned around to the door to view the intruder - you. He raised an eyebrow.

 

"Water?" you offered walking towards him.

"Yeah. Thanks," he gratefully took the water bottle from you. You sat down on the floor looking up at him gulping down two mouthfuls. Then he also sat down next to you and gulped down another mouthful. "So~ where are the others?" you asked, stealthily.

"Oh they went back already," he said casually, putting the lid back on.

"What?" you instanlty blurted out in disappointment. He gave you a look while handing you the water bottle back. "I mean, why are you still here and didn't return with them? It is so late," you gave an excuse while taking the bottle back.

"You are still here, this late, I don't think you are in a position to be questioning me if that was really what you meant by 'what?'," he imitated you.

"Really? Did you just tease me? Really?" you said, annoyed. Actually, better word would be, trying to make yourself the victim.

"Okay! Sorry, it was just a joke.Come on, you're not even angry." You were still looking at him annoyedly as if trying to prove him wrong. "Stop with your stupid acting!" Still glaring. "I was just tying to polish up on my dance, alright? Happy now?" 

"Should have told this from the beginning instead of trying to act all cocky," you said with a slightly irritated tone, still trying to keep the act. "Those that need more polishing are probably dead asleep on their warm fluffy beds. You are the main dancer, dude," you lightly punched his chest.

"So, what you are saying is that I should also be sleeping?"

"Hell no! Do you or do you not want to stay in this industry?"

"What the hell are you saying?! You are confusing me!"

"I'm saying you should not let the others slack off! You need the others to stay in this industry, remember?!"

"Then say it straight! Why do have to beat around the bush!"

"Oh em gee! Are you shouting at me?! You dare to shout at me!"

Kai gave an exasperated sigh and said sarcastically, "Sorry sunbae-nim. I am deeply ashamed." He stood up. "Where are you going?" you asked. "I need to practice," he simply replied. You also stood up, "You are still going to continue? You need some break dude, come with me." You grabbed his hand and dragged him outside of the room.

 

You and Kai both got inside your car and you started the engine. "Where are you taking me?" he finally asked after your out-of-nowhere kidnapping. "You'll know when we get there. All you have to do is follow this noona 'kay?" you winked under the faint light of the car parking.

"I have a very bad feeling about this," Kai muttered as he made himself comfortable on the passenger seat.

 

 

 

"Please don't tell me this is all you had in your head for a plan," Kai asked rhetorically, standing infront of the closed gates of the amusement park.

"Ofcourse it's not all!" you said hitting his back playfully. "I had also planned to eat so many things and go on so many rides..." you said in an almost tearful voice. "It was supposed to be your getaway for a few hours."

"Who am I even talking to?!" Kai facepalmed himself. "Why would you think that an amusement park would be open at this hour?"

"Well last time I came here, it was open all night..."

"That is impossible. When?"

"During the New years..?"

"Are you for real noona? It was the New years! There is a reason why that day has its own name!"

"Huh? Oh yeah!" You laughed sheepishly, "Sorry Jongin-ah, noona will come up with a better plan right away." You grinned cheesily.

"Lets just grab something to eat."

 

 

 

You were driving to the nearest open eatery. "Noona, lets just get take-outs," Kai said suddenly.

"What? Why? Where will we eat?" you said with your eyes still on the road.

"I saw a perfect place!" Kai said grinning widely, happily excited.

"Alright, as you say."

 

 

 

"Wow, I have to say, you have great eyes for choosing spots Kkamjong-nim," you said half awed and half joking, mostly awed. The place Kai had thought of was the kids playground that had passed unnoticed by you while driving. "Well, unlike some people I actually have brains," Kai also teased.

"Whatever," you made a face and turned away from him. He smiled, "Off to the swings!" he skipped towards the swings, like a five year old girl. "Wait for me!" you exclaimed and joined him on skipping.

 

You sat on one swing and Kai sat on the one beside yours. "Pizza?" he said opening one box and then took one slice before passing you the box. "Thanks," you also took one slice and said after swallowing one bite, "You know its actually quite surprising that you reached out for pizza first when chicken was right next to it."

"Chicken should be left for last - a desert for the delicious aftertaste," he replied childishly.

"Are you kidding me? Seriously, that's your reason?"

"Yeah, why? You've got a problem?"

"Not at all," you said with slight sarcasm.

"Alright then," he said heaving and standing up from the swing. "Where are you going?" you asked. He smiled and walked behind your swing and started pushing your swing. "Yah, stop it. Don't!" you said grabbing the chains. "I'm not even pushing it hard. Why are you so scared?" he asked pushing it a little harder making you go up more. "It's not that I'm scared the pizza mig--" yep it fell off from your lap and dropped on the ground. "I told you to stop pushing, you idiot!!" you scolded him and jumped off the swing to the soiled pizza. It was inedible now.

"Uh... chicken?" Kai asked.

"My pizza..." you said in an almost crying voice turning over the pizza box and putting the pizza slices back inside to throw it in a trash bin. "I'm sorry," Kai said apologetically. With the pizza box in your hand you stomped towards him shooting death glares. "I told you I'm sorry," he said taking his steps backwards. You placed the box next to the swings to throw it later. "I will avenge my pizza!" you started running after him. And, slowly it turned into a game of tag with you two running around laughing trying to catch the other.

 

 

"I'm tired. Lets just go back eating now," Kai said catching his breath. "Yeah come on," you said waiting for him since you were the one closer to the swings. 

 

*Smack* You hit the back of his head. Instictively, his hand went around that spot and glared at you. "Sweet sweet revenge," you stuck your tongue out. "Why I oughta...!" Kai started chasing you and the game resumed again.

"I thought you were tired!" you shouted running ahead of him. "I was!" he shouted back from behind you.

 

Running around in circles in that small park, you reached back at the swings. "Time, time!" you called making a 'T' from your hands, "I can't run anymore."

"Yeah me too. I'm actually beginning to feel sleepy," Kai said walking towards his swing. "So, chicken?"

"Yeah," you said sitting on the swing lifelessly. "We should have bought more. I'm still so hungry."

"We didn't know that the pizza will drop," he said indifferently, opening the box of chicken.

"Yeah no thanks to you," you said annoyedly.

"Here, as a token of my apology, I give you the honor to take first," he held the box infront of you. You beamed, "If Kai-nim is controlling his chicken thirst and giving me this chance then I guess you really do mean it," you took one piece, "Apology accepted."

"I was just kidding. Meh~rong~," he stuck his tongue out at you. "I already have taken a piece," he waved it infront of you giddily happy.

"Why do I even expect from you?" you said rhetorically. After swallowing your bite you said, "It would have been much fun if the other kids were here, right?"

"Are you kidding? We would have to reserve a bus and buy tons of food. Do you know how much we would have to spend? How do you define 'fun' in your dictionary?"

"Ugh why do I even bother?!" you rolled your eyes. "But I guess you are right. How will we fit all of them in one car, right? And they will just make alot of noise, probably, waking up everyone around here," you said laughing. (As if you two alone were making any less noise)

"Exactly! I know right! Noona, we finally clicked!" he raised his right hand up in the air for a high-five. You proudly accepted it and slammed your hands with his.

 

The two boxes of chicken has been emptied. "Shall we go home now?" you asked yawning.

"I don't know... I think it's actually better to head back to the company. It's past five o'clock and it takes about an hour to reach there," he said checking his wrist watch.

"What?! Ahhhhhh why did we come this far? What about my beauty sleep now?" you nagged.

"All the credit goes to you for having that brilliant idea of the amusement park."

"Bring that up again and you're dead. So, will you say it one more time?"

"No ma'am. I love my life very dearly."

You both laughed.

 

"Lets go then. Pick the trash to dump it on the way," you said stretching.

 

 

You reached the company at about a little past six-forty. You had stopped for a coffee on the way, then you had to have a cupcake with it. Then after that you had stopped at a convenience store to buy toothbrushes and toothpaste. Kai bought some mouthwash, mouth freshners, a packet of ramyun and bunch of other useless things.

 

When you came around the front door after parking your car you saw Kai talking to a group of girls, full of smiles. He bowed and went inside as those girls left. You also joined him inside the lobby and asked, "Who were they?" He showed you a gift-wrapped box and grinned. "What is that?" you asked again.

"It's my birthday today!"

"What?!!! Why didn't you tell me? Argh how could I have forgotten? Kyungsoo's birthday was day before yesterday. Damn it! Sorry Jongin-ah."

"It's okay noona. Actually, I also kind of forgot."

"Wow that is unlikely. The stingy you forgot the day you get so many gifts?" you said teasing him. "And you're not even Lay."

"You make it sound like I'm not generous at all," he frowned.

"Aniya~~ our Kai is very giving. It's just that we could have celebrated," you said disappointedly.

"What we had wasn't any less than party. It was really fun. Thank you noona," he said gratefully.

"Still, we could have woken up those sleepy heads and celebrated."

"Celebrate what? Wooooo you two were together all night?" Chanyeol came up from behind, eavesdropping.

"What?! Is that why Jongin said he won't come with us? So that he could be with you all night, noona?" Chen also joined in.

"What-what-what? What is this that I'm hearing noona?" joined Baekhyun.

"Keep your stupid imagination to yourselves and go practice!" you walked away. Only to walk back to them again, "Saengil chukkahae Jongin-ah!" you ruffled his hair smiling and then glared at the three beagle line (the others were still on their way to joining them) and then turned around again to walk away to your own practice room.