Lay: Party at the Rooftop

Trash Can

[141007]

PARTY AT THE ROOFTOP
(a birthday project)

 

A cool October breeze welcomed you as you opened the door to the terrace of the SM building. Looking at the starry night sky you walked towards the railings, closing the door behind you.

"Hey," a voice greeted above the sound of the wind. You almost jumped, startled. You turned behind to find Lay leaning against the wall beside the door. Funny you didn't notice him earlier.
"I was waiting for your call all day, you know," he walked towards you, turned you around and wrapped his arms around your neck.
"Mian. I was busy with the practices and recordings for the debut," you said turning your head to him. His eyes were fixed at the scenery in front.
"Just say it that you forgot what day it was today," his lips formed a soft smile as he swayed you from side to side, his eyes never leaving the view ahead. You felt more guilty.
"Mianhae oppa," you turned your head front and held his arms around your neck. "It only hit me when I saw those gifts at the lobby with your name and birthday wishes on it. I wanted to go and buy you something but I met Dahae unnie on the way and she took me to vocal lessons. Then I guess I became too busy and..." you dropped your head in guilt and whispered against his arms, "forgot to call."
"Yah gwenchana! You don't need to feel so bad okay?" he softly kissed your temple.
"But..." you trailed off looking at him. He smiled and titled his head to meet your lips with his into a small peck. "It's okay," he assured.
You smiled. "Did you celebrate already?"
"The guys are throwing me a small party at the dorm later. Wanna join?"
"I have practice recordings. I just can't get it right," you said it in a frustrated tone.
"You'll figure it out, and when you do you'll nail it!"

You smiled at his comforting words. Suddenly the door opened and you both turned to see Yunji standing by the door. She is the next member in the debut duo team, two years older than you. "Sorry! Did I come at a bad time?" she asked, embarrassed.
"Aniyo unnie. What's the matter?"
"It's time for the recording. Come down okay?" she left first for the two of you to finish your talk.

"Go on. I'll stay here for awhile," Lay said after Yunji left.
"Happy Birthday," you pecked his lips. "It's your last birthday as us together I'm sorry I forgot."
"It's alright. Now go they must be waiting." He held your shoulders and started pushing you to the door himself when you were just staring at him with longing eyes without any plans to leave. You giggled.

"Take care oppa," you said before closing the door and heading downstairs to the recording room.

Finally, after two hours, the practice recording is done. The real deal is tomorrow and you've gained alot of confidence, maybe you'll be able to nail it after all just like Lay said.

You were walking to the practice room to pack up your stuffs and head home when two boys from EXO passed you by from the opposite direction, talking with each other. They should've gone home by now, you thought. It was past eleven already.

"Chanyeol oppa!" you called out.
He turned behind. "Oh you! You were there?" he said teasingly as both of them walked towards you.
You rolled your eyes, "Aren't you going home? I thought you guys had a small party planned?"
"Something came up and... it's cancelled," Chanyeol replied in a sigh.
"What?" you asked without hiding the disappointment from your voice.
"There's a meeting going on and I don't think it's ending anytime soon. We are also heading back," Kai said.
"We had a really fun guys night planned but..." Chanyeol released yet another sigh.
"But we have to celebrate!"
"Shops are all closed and there is only like an hour left for today to end. You have any bright ideas?" Kai raised his eyebrow.
"I'll think of something. Had you guys ordered any cake?" you enquired.
"Yeah at the Bread House but it's also closed," Kai answered.
"I'll take care of it! I'll text you," you patted Kai's arm before running as fast as you could to the parking lot.

You quickly got in the car and took off Yunji's earphones from her left ear, "To the Bread house!" you pointed to the windshield, just like a detective who found a new lead for the case.
"The Bread House is closed. And where are your things?" she asked eyeing you.
"I called them on my way here. They said that they'll open the bakery for us. Now start the car!" Yunji flinched when you sudddenly raised your voice at the last sentence. But followed and started the engine towards the Bread House which is about ten minutes drive.

"Why are you suddenly craving bread? I think we still have some at home." Yunji said after two minutes.

When you didn't reply she glanced at you to see you chewing on your lower lip, deep in thought. "Yah," she poked.
"Huh? What is it?"
"What's bothering you? And why do you want to eat bread?"
"We need to pick up the cake from there. But what about the food? I can't think of any place that would be open," you said, worriedly.
"Just persuade them too. Simple."
"They aren't my aunt that I can persuade so easily you know."
"Okay what about Pizza then? We could go to Luigi's. They'll be open."
"Right! Unnie you're the best! I'll call them to deliver." You ordered fifteen pizza pies with different toppings. After finishing the call you turned to Yunji and said with aegyo, "Saranghaeyo unnie. What would I do without you?"
"I know," she ruffled your hair, smiling. "We're here. Let's go."

"Aunty~ we're here~" you said, opening the door.
"Finally! There's not much time left. Go!" she said handing you the box of cake along with another plastic bag.
"What's this?"
"Balloons and ribbons. Thought you might need it," she said with a smile.
"Aunty you're the best~" You hugged her.
"I thought I was the best," Yunji said with a slight sarcasm.
"You're both the best!"
"Okay, okay now get going! I also have to close the shop." She started pushing you two out of the bakery.

"Thanks once again aunty!" you waved at her as Yunji started the engine. And she waved back as the car drove away.

"Lucky they had ordered at my aunts," you said finally feeling light at heart.

You and the delivery guy arrived at the same time. You paid for everything and carried it to the rooftop with help from Yunji. After turning on the lights, you two got your working gloves on and started decorating the walls and laid down sheets and cushions on the floor.

Everything's done with only fifteen mintues left. You quickly send a text to Kai.

you
is the meeting done?

Kai
not yet. Are u done?

you
yeah... when will u be done? there isnt much time left

Kai
araseo we'll be there... but where?

you
roof. palli-yo oppa!

You and Yunji were staring at the food infront of you with mouths watering and stomachs growling when finally the doors opened, five minutes later. The EXO boys walked outside towards you two with eyes fixed on the food— except Lay's his were on you.

"You didn't have to," Lay said as he sat beside you.
"Atleast we got to celebrate together," you smiled slighlty shrugging your shoulders. "Now for the cake!" you took out the lighter from the plastic bag and lighted the candles. "Make a wish."
Lay was about to blow off the candles when Baekhyun stopped him, "We need to sing the birthday song first! Saengil chukkahamnida~"
Everyone followed him and sang while clapping, "Saengil chukmahamnida~ Saranghaneun Lay hyung~/oppa~ Saengil chukkahamnida~"
"Now make the wish hyung!" Baekhyun gave the green light.

Lay blew off the candles and everyone cheered—not for the blowing off candles part but for the fact that they'll get to eat. Everyone opened a box and gorged down slices after slices of pizza with occasional wishes of 'Happy birthday hyung'. The cake was long forgotten.

"Hey how did you get the cake? The shop would've been closed," Chanyeol asked before biting a mouthful of his seventh slice.
"Good thing you chose that bakery. It's actually owned by my aunt so it wasn't tha--"
"It's owned by your aunt?!" twelve shocked voices interrupted you.
"Yeah...?" you trailed off, uneasy with the way they asked.
"That is our favorite bakery!" Tao exclaimed.
"You should've told us. We could've got discounts in all these years we've been buying from there," said an angry yet happy Sehun.
"Uh... you guys do get 20% discount and it's only been about six months since it opened Sehun oppa," you pointed out.
"Ah is it? I'm a little bad with dates," Sehun scratched his temples, little embarrassed.
"We could've got 50% discount," Kai shrugged his shoulders.
"You guys are so stingy! Learn something from Suho hyung!" said Chanyeol which lit a proud smile on Suho's face.
"Ahem! Ahem!" Kris coughed, nonchalantly.
"Or this hyung over here," Chanyeol added half-heartedly.
"Besides their breads aren't even costly. It's delicious and reasonable," D.O said.
"So anyone up for a cake?" Lay asked. And all the hands rose up. He cut it and everyone took a piece.

"That meeting had taken away my hopes for any celebration," said Luhan.
"Didn't everybody's? All those things we had planned... but this was far better!" Chen gave you a thumbs up.
"How did you even manage all this?" Suho asked.
"You're amazing," Xiumin said looking at his cake and then taking a bite—was that 'amazing' comment supposed to be for you or for the cake?

"You know... this rooftop will always hold a special meaning to me. It's brought me so many beautiful memories," Lay said looking up at the clear night sky.
"Yeah me too," you looked at Lay then towards the sky, "Especially that night three years ago."
"You did so much when you had even forgotten. Komawo," Lay said sqeezing your intertwined hands softly.
"So will you wait for me oppa?"
Lay smiled revealing his deep dimples, "I love you." He titled his head and leaned in for a kiss.
"I love you too," you cupped his face and pulled him for another kiss.

"Get a room you two!", "Eww," these comments filled the silent night. While yours and Lays lips only curved into a smile against each others.