Charter 4

Broken

[Dara’s POV]

I promised myself not to cry again because of him… but seeing him earlier was really painful to bear… seeing his eyes looking at me as if there were never ‘us’ before… seeing him normally pass by me… he didn’t even bother to explain… not that I wanted him to… but still it pains me… I guess a week of thinking doesn’t mean a week to heal the deep wound inside my heart…

He was my first love… and never had I imagined he would also my first heartbreaker… how could I never think of that…? How could I ever think of us being together forever…? I guess there isn’t really forever here in this world… especially with love… 

How could dad say that he still loves mom…? Why can’t they just get back with each other if they still love each other…? Why did he cheat on her before…? Why did he need to hurt her before realizing that he loves her…? I just couldn’t understand everything… why the need of complicating things…? 

“Yah…”

My thoughts suddenly got interrupted as a familiar voice brought me back from my trance…

Jaejoong, our ‘class’s heartthrob’ and the most annoying person I know was looking down at me with an irritated look on his face… hayy… I guess another day for another round of our battle will begin… 

“What…?”

“That’s my seat pabo…”

Huh..?! He called me stupid…?! How dare…!

“There are a lot more seats around there…”

I said as I pointed to couple of vacant seats beside me… I don’t get it why he wants my seat… aisht… such a childish brat…

“You were absent for a week and now you’re stealing someone else’s seat… get off…”

“Aisht…! What’s with this seat that you want…? Oh… that’s it… just because you could see from here the girl swimmers with their swimsuits… I never thought you were that ert…fine fine… I’ll let you have your happiness…”

I saw his eyes widen… his brows slowly connecting… I guess I said too much… 

I sat next to him and I was expecting a blow from him but before he could utter a word our professor walked inside… saved by the bell… 

“I’ll get you later…”

He whispered with his most evil voice which sent shivers down my spine… I looked at him and just made face… as if I’m scared of him…

The whole period he tried to distract me with his silly childish acts… aisht…! He really is persistent to ruin my day… kicking my legs… throwing me little pieces of paper balls… poking my side…! Gaaah..! I really wanted to scream at him and pull his hair…!

I don’t get what girls find attractive from this brat…! All he does is to make my whole period miserable… I don’t even remember now how our unending battle began… he look like a snot whenever he makes faces… an annoying pig whenever he play pranks on me… aisht…! He’s really getting on my nerves now…

“Ms. Park and Mr. Kim…”

Our professor suddenly called our attention… and both of our heads shifted towards him… I thought he would scold us… but worse came our way

”Well that will be all the groups for the project…” 

Huh…? Project…? For what…? Groups…? Me and this big brat…?!

“Sir…! What are you talking about…?!”

We both said in unison as we both stood up from our seats… our classmates started laughing at us… while our professor raised his brow before massaging his forehead…

“Because the two of you were busy playing with each other… I will explain everything again… the school’s fair would be next month already… the two of you will be assigned in making the posters, flyers and the giveaways for one of our booths… the whole class is grouped into two-…”

“But why us…?”

And again, we said in unison while pointing each other… our professor showed a very creepy smile… weird…

“It’s because you two are playmates right…? I guess you could do it comfortably having each other as your partner…”

Why do I feel the sarcasm from his voice…? We tried protesting again… used our rights just to get away from each other… well, he gave us a chance to change partners but our traitor classmates stayed with their partners… how could this happen…? How bad this day could get…?

I looked at him and saw a smirk curved on his lips… he’s happy with this…?! I know he’s planning something evil against me… he wouldn’t accept this easily if he doesn’t have anything behind his head… this man..!

“Well… I guess we’ll be having each other for quite long time… let’s work hard neh Sandara-sshi…?”

Then he suddenly flashed me his sweetest yet weirdest smile… aigoo… I knew it… he really has a twisted mind… 

--

The day finally ended… a contented smile crept on his lips… he could finally escape from his hell… he could finally see his freedom… the anticipation inside him fueled up once again… he immediately gathered and fixed his things… he didn’t bother telling his friends as to where he would go for he’s sure he’ll hear them mocking him about it…

His tracks were fast… together with the beat of his pulse… until suddenly, he was stopped from his track when his eyes caught a familiar figure from afar… there she is… standing in front of the other building … looking around as is she’s waiting for someone…

He suddenly went into thinking… 

‘Is she waiting for me..?’

He thought… why would she…? As far as he knows they were over days ago… but seeing her standing from afar made him uneasy… she really is probably waiting for him…

But why would he bother to think about her… he could just move on and just go wherever he’s supposed to go… but then the next thing he knew was his feet were acting on its own towards her…

Her face, the same face whenever she waits for him… the same hint of worry in her face is still plastered until now… when will she change…? 

The distance between them lessened… and just then, he saw how her face changed… from the wandering one to a quite annoyed expression… he was put to a halt… wondering as to what did she see… he followed her gaze and that’s when he knew he wasn’t the one she was waiting for…

Jaejoong… one of the most popular guys in their campus was slowly coming over her with a smirk on his face… Jiyong watched him as he waved his hand towards Dara… he then shifted his gaze towards her who on the other hand just snubbed the guy’s greeting… 

‘Do they know each other…?’

He thought… he just found himself watching the two… saw the irritated look on her face while Jaejoong on the other hand still wears that playful smirk on his face… 

He felt uneasy again… something inside him suddenly boiled up… seeing her with another guy felt so different… and especially when the other guy raised his arm and put it over Dara’s shoulder… 

His lips parted… unconsciously, his hands formed into a tight fist… his feet started to act on its own once again… advancing towards the two with a mad expression on his face… not until the constant ringing in his phone brought him back to himself…

Bringing him back to the reality, wondering what’s with the sadden anger…? That he doesn’t have any rights now to stop her from being held by another guy… …? Seeing he with another guy… the reality that he doesn’t own her now…

He was glued on his place… watching the two figures slowly drifting away… maybe he wasn’t that used to seeing her going away without him yet… maybe he wasn’t used to seeing her with someone else yet… since she’s always glued to him no matter where he goes… that’s it… just a petty uneasiness brought by the sudden change… another ‘change’….

He lowered his gaze before turning on the opposite way… slipped his hands inside his pocket as he started his tracks.

Of all people he should know it first… he had disposed her for his own good… left her for another woman… he doesn’t have any rights now to feel betrayed by her… for in the first place he was the one who did that most painful thing to her…