Chapter 8

Broken
Gaze locked towards the picture plastered on the screen of his phone… hand tightened around it… squeezing the poor thing as his brows slowly knitted with each other… after a while, his eyes blinked… once, twice… before he let out a deep sigh… he then looked away as he bit his inner cheeks… suppressing the uneasiness he’s feeling inside.

Holding his phone, his hand landed on his side… slumping back to his bed… his other hand found its way to his head… running his fingers on his hair… still with a distressed expression on his face…

Since he left the hotel… since that memory of ‘them’ brushed his mind… her face never left his mind… from her most peaceful expressions, till the day where she shed her tears upon knowing about his unfaithfulness…

He let out a painful grunt… and brought his phone in front of him once again… 

He looked at it for a while… felt the heaviness inside his chest and the painful sting inside his eyes… he blinked for a couple of times…

‘What are you doing..?’

‘Now, you’re being emotional…’

‘You brought this to yourself… you have no right to feel this way…’

He told himself and let out a bitter low laugh… and after, silence enveloped him… inside his own room… thumb tracing the contour of the girl’s face in his phone… 

“I’m sorry…”

He heard himself let out a whisper…

He closed his eyes as he pressed a button on his phone… deleting the image… deleting a memory of her…

He continued his actions…blindly deleting every of her images hoping it would also make him brush away the uneasiness he’s feeling inside… and just then, he came to a halt…

Lips parted and head was thrown back, hitting his head board…

Just when everything’s going to an end…

It was a picture of her… taken on the first day he saw her… 

Stolen pictures of her were the most beautiful of all… her innocence… her untainted beauty… that natural flow of her hair when the wind flew across her that day… watching the soccer players of their school on their field…

Her last day of not knowing his existence… the day he abruptly entered her life…the day his heart decided that she’ll be the one for him forever… 

‘Four years…’

‘Was it too long or too short for me to realize all of this…?’

‘What part of forever did I miss..?’

‘Why now…?’

Trails of thoughts ran inside his mind once again… talking to himself in the premises of his quiet room… 

‘What happened to us…?’

He brought his hands at the side of his head… massaging it with his wrists… after a while he closed his phone… as he slipped himself down his bed… curving himself like a ball…that only darkness and silence surrounded him…

Clutching his phone on his chest… a tear finally escaped the side of his eye…

He shouldn’t have bothered looking on it… he should’ve just thrown his phone off to somewhere and just buy a new one…it was so simple yet too late to brush his mind… why did he have to browse every of her picture… to just what…? Remind him of what his happiness back then… to remind him of what he was back then…? To remind him of the broken promises he had given her…and instead nothing but heartaches in exchange of those promises…

“Why now…?”

He asked himself again…but only silence could be heard from return…

--

He continuously stared on his ceiling… dark circles were clear under both of his eyes… he stayed stilled…unmoving and numb as if his mind was flying out to somewhere… until after a while, he felt the lightness inside his head and realized that it’s already a new day… 

His head shifted to the side… gaze directed to his window being covered by his curtain… but still missed to cover trifle of rays coming out from its sides… 

He didn’t even had the chance to get a moment of rest and now it’s a new day… he said to himself as he let out a short laugh in disbelief…

But how could he sleep if her face would constantly appear inside his head… and guilt would quickly creep up onto him just before he could even set himself to sleep…? Better yet just stay awake…

Just then, his face contorted once again… 

And now he had to see her… 

He let out a helpless sigh… and rolled to the other side facing the wall… 

“Look whose pathetic now Jiyong…”

He coldly whispered to himself… pulling himself out of the bed towards his bathroom…

He set himself ready to go… glanced over his phone on the bed before grabbing it and slipping inside his pocket… there’s no harm if he would let her pictures stay there… he thought… 

--

He then found himself inside the place he usually goes to after his class… almost being the first customer of the day… 

He stayed there… face was blank… seated in silence… killing his time… not minding the curious look he would get from the people who would pass by him and from the owner of the place…didn’t bother ordering something… didn’t bother the grumbling of his empty stomach… he was as stiff as a statue… lost in his own thoughts… not until his ‘new girl’ appeared and disturbed his peace.

“I’ve been calling you the whole day… I told you to call me last night but you didn’t or even sent me a message…”

Cl raised a brow, looking down on him as if he didn’t hear any of what she said… 

“Yah..!”

She kicked his leg to gather his attention… 

Jiyong then finally woke up from his long trance… he looked to the side before he looked up to her with still a blank expression on his face…

“What’s with the face…?”

She asked in annoyance but he just continuously looked at her… she looked away, putting her hands on both side of her hips and flickered her eyes in annoyance… one of the things she hates the most is comforting and being worried to someone… 

“Just… leave me alone for a while…”

Cl immediately returned her gaze back to him as she heard him whisper… saw him bent forward on his seat, looking down, hands clasped together resting his arms on top of his thighs… her forehead creased… never did she saw him in this state before… and now, can’t help but be curious on what’s the reason he’s being like this…

 
She let out a sigh before she sat down beside him… he shifted his face a bit to the side upon feeling her presence.

“I’m not in the mood to play either, so I’ll just stay…”

She said before crossing her arms in front of her… first time she had actually cared about someone.

--

He didn’t speak nor did she… the place was noisy but all he could hear was silence… as if slowly losing his mind for he doesn’t even know what he was thinking right now… while she would just gradually look at him... watch every movement that he’ll do… suppressing the irritation of too much silence from him.

 
After a couple of hours… he finally stood up… startling her…

He didn’t bother shifting his gaze towards her as he spoke.

“I’m going home…”

He simply said as he started in his tracks… Cl’s brows slowly connected as she stood up and immediately followed him…

“Yah… what the hell’s wrong with you…?”

She managed to grab his arm before he could step out from the place… Jiyong looked back and that’s when she saw a clear view of his face… her eyes widen a bit upon seeing his expression that was so tired and lost… 

“I… I’m just tired that’s all… I’ll just call you…”

But before he could continue with his tracks, she held him tight…

Worry was clearly shown on her face… but he was too tired to even notice it or to even care.

“I’ll just go home too…there’s no reason to stay here after all…”

He didn’t say anything… her hand slipped down from his arm to hold his hand… he just let her as they both started with their tracks… it’s already dark outside… he wondered how long did he stayed inside… finally ending a day of his torture… but he cant help but be bothered as to what will happen once he go home… would there be a change…? Will this heavy feeling inside of him would finally vanish…? Would he be able to sleep now…? All of his thoughts were brushed away upon feeling her held his hand tight… he didn’t bother looking at her as he set his eyes on their locked hands… his eyes fluttered in agony… not the same warm hand he’s used to hold anymore… he stayed bowed down not until he felt someone was looking at him… 

He suddenly stopped with his tracks… head slowly shifted towards the person who’s been looking at him…

He gasped… totally forgetting everything around him upon seeing ‘her’ looking straight at him… just a while ago… his mind was filled with nothing but the thoughts of her… and now… she’s here… wearing that same expression the day she caught him in his act of unfaithfulness… his whole body stiffened… as if his insides were being burned upon seeing her expression like that… Cl looked at him and followed his gaze… brow rose a bit upon seeing who he’s been looking at… and that’s when it all sunk into her…

She shifted her gaze back and forth to Jiyong and Dara… 

‘Don’t tell me she’s the reason why you’re being like this…?’

A thought brushed her mind upon remembering his state awhile ago… 

--

Dara couldn’t move… Jiyong’s gaze was like digging a hole through her…

‘Why are you looking at me like that…?’

‘Are you that mad to see me here and ruin your time with her…?’

‘Can you at least care about how I feel…?’

She felt suffocated… she shifted her gaze towards the girl he’s with… and didn’t escaped her eyes the mocking stare that Cl’s been giving to her… 

‘His girl’ must’ve seen how pathetic she looked like… Dara thought…

Her gaze shifted back to Jiyong who stayed unmoving on his spot… and there she saw the distressed look on his face… her heart almost fell upon seeing it… wondering why he looked in pain… her lips parted before she clasped it back together… she has no right to ask him about it anymore… blaming herself… that why is it… until now… he’s still her weakness… 

And as if Jiyong knew what she was thinking… he quickly woke himself up from his trance… and managed to look away… as if he didn’t see her…Dara gasped upon seeing his reaction… her heart felt like being stomped hard and worse, she saw how the girl beside him smirked into contentment…it was like giving her a hard slap on her face…

Dara blinked for a couple of times… suppressing the tears that’s been forming inside her eyes.

‘Could I be more pathetic…?’ she told herself… with still tears threatening to fall from her eyes… blurring her vision of the man who’s now she doesn’t know…

‘What happened to us Jiyong…?’

And just when her whole world was about to fall…

She felt something warm wrapped along her shoulders… pulling her closer to a much warmer feeling… and kept her steady on her spot… 

Jiyong quickly returned his gaze towards Dara… eyes widen upon seeing a familiar man who’s now next to her… an arm securely wrapped along Dara’s shoulders…

His brows slowly met… hands forming into a tight fist earning a slight whimper from Cl who’s hand was being squeezed by him… 

Cl looked at him… but he didn’t care as if lost in his own thoughts… the lightness in his head immediately vanished… for all he could feel was mixed anger, and pain especially inside his chest. 

Dara immediately looked up to her side… oh how thankful she is to have herself a break from that torture… vision was still a bit blurry but was able to see clearly the face of her savior…her eyes widen upon seeing the last man she expected to see that moment. 

“I told you it’s dangerous to space out…”

He said with a stern voice as his hand reached out for her face… and thumb wiped off the tear that just escaped her eye