7

From the Past to the Present

'Howon's Return'

 

Myungsoo was so estatic about Yurin's pregnancy that he refuse to leave her side in case something happened, but Yurin insisted that she take a walk alone in the garden like she usually does.

While taking a walk, she was thinking about Howon. *How could this happen? What about Howon? What will he think? What should I do?? I wish something or someone could tell me!* Yurin sighed heavily.

Howon on the other hand, had just returned to the kingdom from a battle he led and won. With a happy face, he was finally glad he can return, hoping maybe this time he can tell Yurin his feelings. *Looks like we are going to defeat the barbarians afterall. After this war, Yurin and I will definitely leave this place and live a normal life.*

On his way to the palace, he walked around the garden to look for Yurin. He knew she would take daily walks around the gardens of the palace.

He spotted Yurin and walked up to her. Yurin saw Howon and forced out a smile.

"Long time no see." Howon started awkwardly.

"Yeah. A lot has changed these past few months. You are starting to look more like your father, leadership wise."

"Oh yeah."

There was a moment of silence. "So what happened while I was away."

"Um....I planted a new garden." *And I'm pregnant with Myungsoo's child.* Yurin thought.

"Listen I have something to tell you. I was suppose to tell you this before I left, but---" Before Howon could continue his little confession, Kaein popped out of no where with a blanket. "Unnie, you're pregnant and it's cold out here. Even if you aren't cold, think about the child inside you. Myungsoo would be really disappointed if he knew you weren't taking good care of yourself." Kaein smirked when no one was looking.

"Y-You're pregnant??" Howon said in shock.

Yurin nodded her head with guilt. *He's bound to find out sooner.*

"C-Congratulations. Well, I guess I shoul go find Yoonjae. She must miss me a lot." Howon bowed and left.

Yurin sighed and turned towards Kaein. "Who are you?"

Kaein bowed. "Unnie, do you not recognize me? I'm Myungsoo's second wife." She faked a smile.

"Oh."

*And I will make your life a living hell for hogging Myungsoo.* Kaein thought.

--------------

Howon sighed as he returned to his room.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" He yelled, and a servant came running in. "Yes, master?"

"Go get me some alcohol."

"Neh." The servant bowed and brought him alcohol.

Howon chugged the substance in a blink of an eye. *I can't believe it. Why didn't she wait for me??* Tears rolled down his cheek once more. *We were so close. Why couldn't she wait until this war was over?? We could have been together, but now she's with child.*

Yoonjae heard about Howon's return and rushed to him, but to see him drowning himself with alcohol.

"Lee howon!!!! What are you doing? Why are you here?" She yelled.

"Why can't I? This is my place." He screamed.

Yoonjae shut the doors and made sure no one was listening. "Shouldn't you be confessing to Yurin unnie and asking her to run away with you after the war? She loves you!!"

"No she doesn't."

"Yes, she does! Trust me!!"

"Trust you?? I trusted you and fought my off at war just to finally return victorious for Yurin. I only live for her, and now look what's happened? She's pregnant with Myungsoo's child!! Not mine." Howon angrily threw his glass cup on the ground, making Yoonjae flinch.

"I'm sorry." She apologized.

Howon sat back down and cried. "Why didn't she wait for me?"

"I'm sorry." Yoonjae patted his back. "Yurin really loves you. Let her explain what happened. If you really love her, just tell her. Let her know. I heard from her servants that she was not in a very good mood every since you left. It was the garden that always kept her company and smiling. You know why? Because when she was a kid, she first met you at the garden. Everytime she has a problem she would walk around the garden because she thinks of you." 

Howon wiped away his tears. "You're right. I'm such an idiot. Why didn't I think about that?? Thank you so much, Yoonjae." He got up and hugged her.

*No problem. Anything to see the person you love smile again.* Yoonjae sighed and watched Howon's disappearing figure.

--------------------

Yurin was sitting on a bench and looking up at the dark sky to see the shining stars. *I wonder when is the first snowfall.* She thought when she heard footsteps behind her.

She turned around to see Howon.

"Still looking at the stars? Mind if I join you?" He smiled and sat next to her.

From a distance, Yurin can smell alcohol from his breath. "Howon-ah, have you been drinking??"

Howon remained silent. "Can you believe it? You're going to be a mother. You won't be that irresponsible, playful girl I once knew. Everyone is changing and growing up."

Yurin looked down at her hands. "I know. I wish things were back to the way they were before three months ago."

Howon took Yurin's hands, making her heart beat accelerate faster. "Yurin-ah."

She gulped and knew where this was going. "Howon, I can't I'm married to Myungsoo." A tear  slid down her cheek.

"I don't care. I just want you to know my feelings for you. I fell for you since the first day we met. I love you."

Yurin looked into Howon's eyes and saw how much those words meant. "I-I I love you took Howon." Unknowingly, Howon leaned in and kissed Yurin on the lips.

She wrapped her arms around his neck feeling the electric shock he once gave her whenever they touched. 

Unfortunately, Myungsoo was worried for Yurin and went out to look for her. He knew she was at the garden and saw Howon was sitting next to her. 

When he heard their conversation, his heart tore into a million pieces. When they kissed, anger filled his entire body. He wanted to march up to his childhood friend and punch in the face fore stealing Yurin away, but at the same time, he did not want violence around Yurin, afterall she loved Howon.

Myungsoo left the two alone. He hated himself for not being able to do anything. *So what if I'm the Emperor of the entire kingdom. I can't even have the woman I love. Everything is just bull!* He started to punch a thick tree trunk and kicked it as hard as he can.

"Myungsoo-ah." He heard a girl voice yell. He turned around to see a girl with a beautiful smile looking at him. "don't hurt yourself."

She ran over and looked at Myungsoo's hurt and now bleeding knuckles. "Are you okay?" She showed concern.

"Who the hell are you??" Myungsoo raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, you probably forgot about me. I'm your second wife, Kaein." She smiled "Are you okay??" She blew on his wound.

"Second wife? Since when?"

"When Old Emperor Kim wanted you to have children quicker, he arranged a marriage between you and I, but you never acknowledged me." Kaein's expression changed.

Myungsoo looked at Kaein. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." 

"Then how about we make it up tonight?" *I need to get my mind off you Kwon Yurin!*

--------------------

Yurin realized what she was doing and pushed Howon away. "Howon, we can't do this. I'm with child and married to Myungsoo."

Howon took Yurin's hands. "I'll wait."

"No. You're married to Yoonjae too. Don't hurt her."

"She doesn't have feelings for me and I don't have feelings for her. We married because,  I was stupid and thought I could make you jealous. Yoonjae was a great friend to you. She never stabbed you in the back. She encouraged me to come tonight."

"Yoonjae really told you??"

Howon nodded his head. "When this war is over and you give birth to Myungsoo's child, that's going to be the day you and I leave this palace and live a normal life. Okay?"

Yurin;s eyes started to form tears as she nodded her head. *I finally get my own happiness.*

Howon and Yurin hugged each other. "It's just a matter of time. Wait for me, okay?"

Yurin nodded her head again.