1

From the Past to the Present

'The Scholar's Mischievious Daughter'

"Come on! Hurry up!!!" Yurin called out to her personal servant as she ran away from the palace, giggling happily.

"Miss, please wait for me." Yoonjae, Yurin's servant yelled while running after her master.

"Come on! It's finally our freedom."

"Miss, please slow down or your disguise will show." Yoonjae frowned. Yurin fixed her costume and grabbed her servant's hand, making a quick dash to the market.

Oh, did I mention they were cross-dressed as guys so they can escape the strict security of the kingdom? Yeah, women back then were hardly let out especially if you are on top of the food chain in society.

But Yurin did not care. All her life, she was spoiled, not in a bratty way of course, but more like mischievious and would go through anything to achieve her goals. Being the only daughter of the smartest scholar, and well trusted by Emperor Kim, she always had her way from her father.

She grew up without her biological mother, and having three bitter stepmothers who each bore her father a son made her the eyesore of the family. (But a pearl to her father.)

Even though 90% of her family hates her guts, she did not care. She had her beloved father and two childhood best friends who always had her back, Howon and Myungsoo, whom are also part of the high-social class.

Freedom was what Yurin always wanted, but never had the chance to experience.

One day (today), she decided to sneak out, dress up as a guy and have her own little fun.

------------

"Yoonjae-ah, look!!!" Yurin pointed at the pretty handcrafted accessories she seem to have never seen in her life.

"Miss- I mean, Sir. You're a guy now. You can't look at girl things." Yoonjae whispered.

"So, it could be for my 'girlfriend'." She quoted and chuckled. "And don't be formal with me. This is freedom. Just call me Yurin." She looped her arms with her servant.

To be honest, Yurin never grew up with many girls her age around so her servant was like a sister and best friend to her.

Despite her low class, Yurin never cared about any of this hierarchy everyone believes. In her time, she was a rebel.

Yurin and Yoonjae bounced around the markets trying new foods and experiencing what they hardly every get. They watched some men perform some magic, which fascinated not only Yurin, but also Yoonjae.

After watching a few talented men and tipping them, they spotted a delicious looking street stall, selling some mouth-watering dukbokki.

"Yoonjae-ah, let's go try some. My treat." Yurin beamed and pulled her friend towards the stall before there were any protesting.

While sitting on the crowded streets busy eating away, Yurin and Yoonjae share a deep conversation as they watched strangers walk pass them.

"Unnie, how's it going between you and Howon Oppa?" Yoonjae asked.

Just hearing his name makes Yurin's heart skip a beat and blush. "I don't really know actually. He seems like he likes me, but at the same time he doesn't. Boys are so complicated." She puffed out her cheeks.

"I can tell. Why not you confess to him?"

Yurin perked up. "C-Confess? What if he doesn't like me? Then I would feel like a fool." She buried her face with her palms.

"Hey, what happened to the I shall rebel against all criticisms on women and start a new era." Yoonjae snickered.

"That doesn't apply to love relationships. Girls still need to feel secure."

"Whatever. I still think Howon Oppa likes you, A LOT, but you are probably too dense to realize that." Her friend teased.

"Oh? Me? Dense? For your information. I am the scholar's daughter. I am well-educated and I am NOT dense when it comes to love relationships with boys." Yurin screamed loud enough for the whole block to hear.

"U-Unnie...." Yoonjae tugged her sleeve.

"Oh now you're scared of me? huh?" She smirked.

"No." Yoonjae pointed at something behind her.

Yurin turned around to see an angry Howon with his arms crossed.

"KWON YURIN!" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"H-H-Howon?" Yurin stuttered. From Howon's perspective, he thought he was being too 'mean' to her, but from Yoonjae and Yurin's eyes, Yurin was just nervous her biggest crush in the entire world is standing right in front of her.

Sure, they met many times, but everytime, no one seem to notice how shy she suddenly becomes and how her heart feels as if it's about to leap out of her chest.

"Where have you been? Why are you dressed like that?" He eyed Yurin up and down. "And did I just hear you say something about a boy and relationship?" He squeaked the last part.

Oh, how Howon wanted Yurin to say no, she's still single. His heart was beating quickly at the same time from her prescence, even though she looks like a guy, and how he was scared she was going to get married off someday.

-----------------

Hehe I know I shouldn't be starting a new story when I still have literally half-a
dozen of them going on, but hey! I can't help it if I have some random idea pop into my head.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the little character intro. It's kind of boring now, but I hope you guys stick around for some drama, drama, drama!! <33