11

From the Past to the Present

'Suicide'

Myungsoo was in a daze during the meetings. The whole time he was thinking about Yurin and a name for his first child. He was glad she is finally opening up to him and forgeting Howon.

Woohyun rushed into the room, interrupting the officials talking.

"Emperor Kim!" Woohyun panted.

Myungsoo snapped out of his daze and looked at his well trusted servant. "Yes, Woohyun?"

"E-Empress...She.."

With just one word and Woohyun's worried expression, he bolted out of the meeting, ignoring everyone and ran towards Yurin's room.

-------------------

When Myungsoo got to Yurin's room, he saw the doctors and servants all standing outside with sad faces.

*Don't tell me she's hurt.* 

Myungsoo cautiously walked in to see a lifeless Yurin sitting on her bed, looking pale.

He sat next to her on the bed and hugged her. Yurin did not respond. 

"I'm sorry, Myungsoo. Our child is gone." She started to sob.

"It's okay." He patted her head.

"IT'S NOT OKAY!" She started to rage. Yurin pushed Myungsoo off the bed and started to throw whatever she had in sight at him. "HOW CAN YOU SAY IT'S OKAY! THAT'S A LIFE THAT JUST LEFT ME! HOW COULD YOU KIM MYUNGSOO!! GET OUT! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU! LEAVE!" Yurin started to cry in mourning of her child.

Myungsoo didn't know what to do. He wanted to be there next to Yurin and comfort her, but at the same time if he came near her, her emtions would go unstable again. Relunctantly, Myungsoo left the room with a sigh.

---------------

"What should I do???" Myungsoo asked his two acquaintances.

"I think you should give her a day or two to calm down." Woohyun suggested.

"I agree. A woman who just lost her child can get emotional. Give her some time." Sungyeol explained.

Myungsoo sighed. "I guess." *I hope she will be okay."

---------------

The next few days, Yurin felt empty. She felt as if her life has no meaning.

*Why am I still thriving to live? Is there anything for me to live for?* She thought for the past few days.

"Miss, please eat." The servant begged.

"I'm not hungry." Yurin responded with a cold-tone.

"Please. You haven't eaten for the past few days" the servant begged.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" Yurin snapped.  The servant was startled and quickly left with the food. When teh servant left, Yurin burst into tears. *Why haven't Myungsoo come to look for me the past few days when I need him the most? Was it because I yelled at him? Maybe I shouldn't have yelled.*

She cried for the past half hour then wiped away her tears.

*Could Kaein be right? Maybe my life is meaningless. The reason why Myungsoo  was with me was because of the baby. Howon left. My baby left. Myungsoo left. Everyone that's important in my life left.*

Yurin looked at the knife in the plate of fruits. She took it and slit her finger, letting her blood ooze from her hand.

*Maybe it's time.*

------------------

Myungsoo held a bouquet of lillies he picked from the garden and sniffed them. *I bet Yurin would love these. You have no idea how much I missed you.* He smiled.

Kaein peeped up from behind a bush and smiled when she saw Myungsoo was alone.

"Myungie!!" Kaein squealed and hugged his arm.

"Who are you?" Myungsoo asked.

"Your wife, remember?"

Myungsoo blinked at the girl. "Sorry, but I only have one wife, Kwon Yurin." He brushed her hand off his arm and made his way to Yurin's room.

Kaein clenched her fists until they turned white. *Kwon Yurin! What kind of spell have you placed on my Myungie??*

-----------------

Myungsoo knocked on Yurin's door but no one answered. He knocked again, but there was no response.

*I guess I'll surprise her then.*

He went inside the door and saw no one so he went further inside her room near her bed area. Myungsoo dropped his bouquet of flowers when he saw Yurin laying next to the side of her bed with a pale face.

He hurried towards her and cupped her cheek. "Yurin-ah! Wake up!!! SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!" He yelled.

Next to Yurin was a puddle of blood and a knife stabbed onto her heart. 

"Yurin! Yurin-ah! Please, please don't die. You're the most important thing in my life. My life is meaningless without you." Myungsoo cried.

Doctors came rushing in to feel Yurin's pulse.

All the servants and doctors got on their knees as Myungsoo hugged Yurin's cold lifeless body, crying.

------------------------

During Yurin's funeral, Myungsoo refused to attend. He refuse to face the fact that she was no longer on earth with him by his side.

Sungyeol and Woohyun grew worried for Myungsoo. Myungsoo refused to see anyone, including his two closest people.

He cried for days at the death of his first and only love. He thought a suicide a few times, but there were always interruptions.

*How could you do this to me?* Myungsoo thought for the past few days.

He wanted to end this pain. 

He wanted to end his life, the way Yurin did. 

He took a butterknife and was about to plunge it into his heart, but Woohyun and Sungyeol burst in the room and stopped him.

"Myungsoo-ah! DON'T BE STUPID!" Woohyun yelled.

"I KNOW RIGHT. IF YOU END YOUR LIFE THIS ENTIRE COUNTRY WILL BE IN CHAOS! THINK ABOUT OTHERS FIRST AND THIS KINGDOM!" Sungyeol lectured.

"I-I don't know what to do.I just want my pain to end." Myungsoo cried.

"Maybe this will make you feel better." Woohyun handed Myungsoo a letter. It was addressed to him from Yurin before she died.

Myungsoo opened the letter and read Yurin's last words.

Myungsoo,
By the time you read this, I probably won't be around anymore.
I just want you to know th real reason why my life ended.
I just thought maybe there was nothing in my life worth living for. I'm sorry.
I never knew if your love for me was for just the baby, me or both.
Neither way, I'm sorry. I just can't bare the pain anymore.
Maybe, just maybe in our next lives, we can meet.
I just want you to know. You will always hold a special place in my heart.
Please live well without me.

Love forever,
Yurin.


Myungsoo clenched onto the letter Yurin wrote. *The least I can do for you is to live well. Then I will live well and be a good king.*

---------------

Throughout Kim Myungsoo's reign in Korea, it was one of the most richest time of the era. 

Poverty level lowered and more equality was established.

Although he never offcially have an heir or any children to succeed his throne, Myungsoo decided to pass this big responsibility to his nephew, Sunggyu's son, Jungyu.

His entire life, Myungsoo never re-married. In fact, completely forgot about Kaein who eventually ran away from the kingdom with a slave. He lived the rest of his life as a single person because he was never able to forget about hsi first and only loved one, Kwon Yurin the daughter of the scholar and also his childhood friend.

On the day Myungsoo died, he was looking at the deep blue sky with Yurin's letter in his hands. He was ready to join her again in heaven.

His eyes slowly. As his eyes started to close, he saw a faint image of Yurin waiting for him. A smile appeared on his face as his eyes completely shut.


It's the part you all have been waiting for!! Modern day time!!! ^-^