10

From the Past to the Present

'Lonely'

Yurin sat in her seat in shock as the funeral for Howon proceeded. Myungsoo was there also. The whole time, he could not take his eyes off Yurin.


It's been three days since the news of Howon's death arrived. And it has also been three days since Yurin gotten any sleep or food, making Myungsoo worry about her even more.

Myungsoo held onto her hand tightly and gave it a squeeze. Yurin looked at Myungsoo and forced out a smile to assure him she was okay, but he knew her better than that.

Yoonjae was also crying her eyes out for her deceased husband. She rather have him alive and happy even if it was with another girl.

It was one of the gloomiest days of the year.

-------------

After the funeral, Yurin wanted some time alone. She chose to isolate herself from everyone. All she wanted to do was to seek some peace at the place where she enjoyed most, the garden.

Yurin walked around for hours as she recalled memories from her childhood with Howon. She missed those times and especially Howon.

She sat down on the bench where he kissed her that night and remembered his every word. *Lee Howon! You did not keep your word. You left first. You left without me. You left me all alone in this world, in this kingdom where I am chained of my freedom. How could you??* She sobbed to herself.

A cold wind rushed pass her. She felt the cold breeze move down her spine and rubbed her hands against her arms. Suddenly, the world became even more dark and distant for her. 

*What do I have to live for now? I don't have anyone to live for. No one.* Yurin cried. She felt a blanket wrapped around her to keep her warm.

She looked up to see Sunggyu and his son.

"Oppa?" She wiped away her tears. Sunggyu handed her a handkerchief.

"Why are you out here alone crying in the cold? Did that Myungsoo do anything to you?" He frowned.

Yurin shook her head. Jungyu was crawling around the grassy area and tugged onto Yurin's leg. She smiled and picked him up on her lap. "Is this Jungyu?"

Sunggyu scratched the back of his head. "Yeah. That evil little devil is always pooing whenever I babysit him. Just me and no one else. Why can't you poo when mommy watches you huh?" He pretended to make an angry face at the kid, but he just giggled and touched his father's nose.

"Aish. Evil kid." Sunggyu mumbled. "So you never answered my question."

"Howon died. His funeral was today." Yurin confessed.

*Why do I never get any news???* Sunggyu patted Yurin's back. "I'm sorry. I know how much he meant to you. Think of it this way. Maybe it's a sign from the heavens that you need to move on? Afterall, they did give you a lovely gift. The gift of life within you. That's someone worth living for, right?" He smiled.

Yurin patted her stomach. "Maybe you're right. What's important to me right now is the baby, but it just hurts so much."

Sunggyu hugged Yurin. "I know. I know." He patted her head. "Just one night. Cry this one last night, okay? Myungsoo cares for you a lot. Don't make him worry, arasso?"

Yurin nodded her head and cried once more in Sunggyu's arms.

Jungyu reached out his littled hands and hugged Yurin.


"Even Jungyu doesn't want to see his favorite aunt cry." Sunggyu chuckled. Yurin wiped away the last of her tears and got up.

"Thanks Gyu Oppa." She bowed.

"Hey, what am I here for? Would you like me to walk you back to your room? I want to make sure you're safe."

Yurin looked up at the dark sky to see the stars shining brightly. "I think I'll be fine."

-------------------

Yurin returned to her room to see Myungsoo sleeping with one arm on the table, lifting up his head. He had dinner prepared, and had been waiting for her since.

She smiled at the sight of Myungsoo worrying for her. *How could I have been so blind to not see that this pabo right here cares about me? Is this really a sign for me to move on from Howon?*

Yurin sat down at the table and felt her stomach growl for the first time in a few days. She picked up her chopsticks and started to eat. 

Myungsoo heard noises and woke up. He saw Yurin finishing the last of the food left on the table and smiled.

"Yurin-ah, why didn't you wake me up?"

"Hmmm?" Yurin had her chopsticks in as she turned around to see Myungsoo awake. "Oh, you were sleeping so peacefully........" She looked at the food. "Sorry, I ate everything. I was hungry." she smiled.

"It fine." Myungsoo suddenly hugged her. "I was so worried about you the past few days. I know how much you loved Howon and............."

"Y-You knew?" Her eyes widened. Myungsoo nodded his head. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I-I don't know. I thought maybe I was wrong."

"Myungsoo....I'm sorry."

"Don't be. We can't help who we love, right? But I'm glad you are okay now."

Yurin felt her eyes watering again. *This pabo. He's endured so much more pain than I did.* Yurin, for the first time, initiated a kiss on his cheek. "I'm sorry. I promise, from now on, you and the baby comes first. You and the baby will be the only thing I will be living for, arasso?"

Myungsoo's heart fluttered hearing her words.

----------------------

About a week passed, Yurin's heart slowly healed with the help of time and Myungsoo's acquaintance. Her stomach was getting bigger as days passed.

Yurin and Myungsoo were already thinking of baby names for their child as they took their daily walk in the garden.

"Should we name it after Gyu hyung?" Myungsoo asked. Yurin shook her head. "But he already have Jungyu."

"Myungie, what should we name you." Myungsoo cooed while rubbed Yurin's round belly. She giggled and slapped Myungsoo's hand. "Yah! Why do you call it Myungie. It sounds so strange."

"He's my son. Of course, I should call it Myungie."

"What if it's a girl?" Yurin frowned.

"It can still be called Myungie." Myungsoo blinked innocently. Yurin shook her head with a smile.

Meanwhile, Kaein was also in the garden sighing away her problems and why Myungsoo hadn't looked for her for the past months until she heard giggling coming from the other side.

Her fists clenched together in anger and jealousy as she saw Myungsoo rubbed Yurin's stomach.

*Why does she always get all the attention??I need to think of something.*

---------------------

Half the day had passed and Myungsoo had to return to his duties, but Yurin wanted more fresh air so she decided to stay outside and enjoy some tea.

While sitting alone, a figure approached her and sat in front of her.

"Kaein-sshi?" Yurin said with a smile.

"Don't you say my name with that ugly mouth of yours." Kaein hissed. "Myungsoo isn't here so there is no need for you to pretend to be nice to me."

*Woah. I did not see this coming.* Yurin thought and cleared . "So...what brings you here." She asked patiently.

Kaein fave her a fake smile. "You know the reason why Myungsoo is with you all the time is because he cares about the child inside of you?"

Yurin froze and felt the words pierce her head. "No. Myungsoo loves me." *I hope.*

"No he doesn't. He loves me. Have you seen the way he treated me before that guy...what's his face Howon died? He treated me like the only girl in the world. And we made such great love that night when he found out you cheated on him with that low class general." Kaein spat.

"Don't talk about Howon like that!" Yurin yelled and slammed her head on the table. She felt angry roam towards her entire body when she heard those piercing words. Tears formed in her eyes as her heart felt confused once again as to how everything is at the moment.

"Let's face it. Without the baby, you are nothing. You are lonely. Your so called lover died, and once the baby is born, Myungsoo will leave you and come back to me. So mind as well make the baby call me mother instead." Kaein crossed her arms.

"You--- It's not like that." Yurin felt her tears roll down her cheeks.

"Well, believe it or not, but....." She leaned in towards Yurin. "It's reality." She whispered.

Kaein stood up to leave, but before she did, she had a handful of marbles and dropped them on the floor.

Yurin was shocked, so she turned around to leave. She accidentally stepped on a few marbles, making her slip on the floor. At the same time, her stomach hit against the marbled tables.

Yurin felt a sharp pain in her stomach as she screamed for help. She saw blood trickling down her legs and clutched onto her painful stomach.