stars (part four)

kwon soonyoung must die

“We look at the same stars,
And see such different things.”
—     George R. R. Martin


PART IV.

School was over sooner than Jihoon had expected, but not as quick as he had wanted it to be. Jihoon found himself thinking deeply about irrelevant things as he walked towards his locker; his favorite what ifs and scenarios of what he couldn’t have anymore. Jihoon thought of unsaid words and unspoken emotions, lies and his ing loud mouth. Jihoon sighed as he stared at his shoes, he really shouldn’t be thinking about nonsense, it didn’t matter – at least not anymore. Once again Jihoon heard chatter around him, there was the possibility they were still talking about his arrival to the school, but he wouldn’t ignore it this time, since the last time he did, he got knocked over by a douchebag and his even more douchebag brother, which by the way, to Jihoon’s annoyance, was in front of his locker.

Not alone, though. Don’t ever think that the idiot who couldn’t tell apart between a senior and a freshman would be in front of his locker for him – for whatever reason you’d even think of. No, he wasn’t alone – instead of it, he was with a boy – not Seungkwan or Seokmin, but another one. This one was different from the other two, though; he had broad shoulders and looked way too cool to be around someone like Soonyoung (a basketball player? Please) He looked like he would be pretty intimidating if he wasn’t smiling tenderly at the blond next to him. Jihoon frowned, muttered a quick what the and hurried to them – because honestly speaking, after all those classes, he wasn’t in the mood to find out what was going on with Kwon Soonyoung anymore – he just wanted to go home.

Both of them smiled at him softly as he got closer, and Jihoon was freaking out.

Jihoon cleared his throat, as he stood in front of the pair he didn’t feel as angry anymore. The stranger looked at him expectantly, with curiosity on his eyes.

“Could you please move a little so I can open my locker?” He asked gently, and then he heard a gasp and saw both of them moving quickly.

“I’m sorry if my boyfriend and I were blocking you!” The cool guy apologized.

Boyfriend? Jihoon pondered.

“Don’t worry.” Jihoon smiled at the boy and turned away to open his locker.

The other boy smiled back and held Soonyoung’s hand, apparently talking about what they were talking before Jihoon interrupted them. Once again loud chatter was heard from where Jihoon was – and Jihoon started to think it wasn’t a good sign at all, and confirmed his theory as he looked up, only to see Seokmin’s fuming figure walking towards the couple.

Jihoon heard Seokmin’s steps, Soonyoung cursing, and the contact of skin on skin as Seokmin slapped the boy next to Soonyoung.

“Stop flirting with my boyfriend!” Seokmin yelled out loud, small eyes glaring at the male in front of him.

The boy, who until the moment seemed shocked, drew a cocky smile on his face.

There was a full minute of silence in the room, Jihoon could see Seokmin’s hesitance on his face, and the other boy’s determination too – he wouldn’t stay still.

“Are you kidding? He is my boyfriend,” He claimed, crossing his arms, “Man, fans these days are ing crazy…”

Those were enough words for Seokmin to hit the boy once again, and then punch, bite and pull. Nobody was doing anything except filming or staying still – and it worried Jihoon. He’d been watching, he’d been thinking, it made him part of the situation, didn’t it? Jihoon groaned, looking around the room to find a teacher, but failing in the process. Jihoon was really close from the fight, so he could see perfectly at Soonyoung, who was boringly staring at them as if they were not intending to rip each other’s throats. Jihoon frowned, thinking about whether to stop them or search for someone of authority – looking back between the fight and the crowd.

He took a deep breath.

“ it.”

Jihoon might be small in size, but he wasn’t when it came to strength – taking Seokmin away from the other boy successfully. Seokmin, however, still tried to punch the stranger boy, whose smirk wasn’t going away – of course angering Seokmin in the process.

“Come on, Soonyoung! Tell this who’s your boyfriend! It’s me, obviously!” Seokmin spat, moving around and making Jihoon struggle with his hold.

It was the first time Jihoon looked at Soonyoung after keeping Seokmin from killing the boy in front of him, so it was surprising to see a smug face on the face of the blond. Was he enjoying the fight? It was getting late and Jihoon still didn’t understand anything.

Jihoon sighed, scanning the crowd with his eyes – Wonwoo stood the closest, with his eyes on the floor and his fists once again clenched. He also saw Joshua in the very back, and Seungkwan walking towards them. Automatically and not knowing exactly why, Jihoon gasped.

“What’s going on?” Seungkwan asked in a monotone voice. Jihoon heard a curse: it was Soonyoung.

“Babe- I… it’s a misunderstanding-”

Babe?” The nameless boy repeated and frowned.

Seungkwan smiled, now it was a different smile – the one Jihoon had seen first, he could tell how fake it was from the way his eyes didn’t turn in small crescents – he could tell how fake it was from the way his mouth turned just slightly, no teeth, no bright eyes – it was completely fake and the brunette wasn’t trying to hide that fact.

“Seungkwan please…”

The brunette boy shook his head, and took one hand up in the air to shut him up. At this point neither Seokmin nor the stranger were trying to do anything – just staring at Seungkwan, who looked like he could break down in any minute. Jihoon knew that feeling all too well, as he had seen that look on someone’s eyes before.

Jihoon let go of Seokmin, his heart getting a little smaller at the sight of Seungkwan looking down and hiding his eyes between his hands. Jihoon just wanted to go home at the moment, he hated how fragile Seungkwan looked; hands shaking, shoulders slouched – it wasn’t the Seungkwan he had met a few hours ago. Everything was wrong.

The 18-year-old, who had kept quiet during the whole scene, opened his mouth to speak, but closed it once again when he heard a voice coming from behind. The five people in the middle stood still – and Jihoon didn’t know what to do.

“What happened just now?” The voice asked – it wasn’t necessary for Jihoon to turn around to know it belonged to a person of authority, “Boo Seungkwan?”

The teacher asked for explanations, but Seungkwan didn’t say a word and shook his head and looked down again. Jihoon felt badly about him. Silence won over them once again, and the teacher sighed in frustration.

“For God’s sake, is nobody telling me what’s going on here?” The teacher asked once again, but as before, she didn’t receive an answer from anyone, “Fine. I’ll find out eventually. But for now, the five of you will go to detention– now.”

Jihoon’s eyes opened widely, he didn’t want to spend a single minute more in the school – let alone 2 hours more just because he held Seokmin’s shoulders! Jihoon sighed, looking intently at Soonyoung – it had been his entire fault!

The grimace on Soonyoung’s face told Jihoon he had something to say, which made him happy – he’d probably blame himself and then he’d be able to sleep all day and forget about everything that had happened on his first day of school.

However, what Soonyoung said wasn’t what he was expecting.

“Actually– teacher, I have basketball practice right now, so I don’t think I can do it…”

Jihoon rolled his eyes- what an inconsiderate ! He just had two guys fight over him, and then another one break down because of him. And all he could think about was basketball? It was unbelievable. He shook his head in disapproval.

“Oh, Kwon Soonyoung! Yes, yes, you can go, darling.” The teacher smiled widely, to which Soonyoung smiled back.

Soon enough, after taking some things out of his locker and touching Seungkwan’s shoulder, the blond left the scene.

To say Jihoon was startled was an understatement.

Seungkwan moved his shoulder involuntary, and kept his eyes on the floor as the teacher talked. The crowd that surrounded them a few minutes ago had dissolved quickly, and now they were left with the teacher, who told them to follow her in a demanding voice.

Jihoon walked slowly behind the teacher, looking back to see how Seungkwan was doing, and sometimes to see the stranger and Seokmin too, who were killing each other with their glances. Jihoon didn’t deserve this.

Their steps eventually led them to a classroom, and they stopped when their teacher did.

“Please get in, I’ll be back in a few minutes to take attendance, don’t think of leaving the classroom or I’ll make your detention longer.” The teacher’s eyes squinted, scanning the four students in front of her.

“Choi Seungcheol… you’re here again?” The teacher raised her eyebrows, and shook his head in disapproval, Seungcheol, the stranger, laughed.

“It wasn’t my fault this time, I swear!” He smiled at the teacher, “Some people just don’t know how to mind their own business, miss.”

The teacher rolled her eyes, like the other three, and now put her attention on Seungkwan.

“And Boo Seungkwan? I’m disappointed.”

Seungkwan’s eyes looked at the floor again, like it was more interesting than what the teacher was saying.

Apparently the teacher wasn’t looking for an answer, because as soon as Seungkwan’s eyes reached the floor, she turned around to keep walking.

Jihoon had to blink twice to remember what was going on, and that it was true and that he was in detention for the first time in his life. The 18-year-old glanced at Seungcheol, who cockily smiled and entered to the classroom, followed by a silent Seungkwan and Seokmin – Jihoon decided to do the same.

There was no one on the classroom besides them and a guy sleeping that Jihoon wouldn’t have seen if it wasn’t because of his wild, curly hair, which hid his face almost completely. Jihoon scanned the empty room, and decided to sit next to the sleeping boy just in case Seungcheol and Seokmin started to fight again – this time, he promised to himself he wouldn’t interfere anymore.

Jihoon looked around to find Seungkwan, (not that he was worried or anything) the brunette had looked so devastated a few minutes ago… it was impossible for Jihoon to ignore it had happened. Seungkwan was leaning against the desk, and his eyes, surprisingly to Jihoon, were on him. Jihoon was ready to give him a small smile, but was stopped when a strong voice spoke out loud.

“Why do you think you’re dating Soonyoung?”

Jihoon rolled his eyes as Seokmin spoke. He definitely wasn’t ready to spend 2 hours with him, or well, any of them.