a dream is a wish your heart makes

Summer and What Happened Then
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m giving up on you.”

There were a lot of things that affected Wonwoo’s decision. None of which had anything to do with no longer liking Mingyu, of course not. Rather, maybe it was because he liked Mingyu a bit too much. It was hard to deny that what started out as something rather casual— getting to know Pledis Pizza’s cute customer and all— turned out to be more than he bargained for. Mingyu had been interesting from the start, and there was something about how Wonwoo would get to know him in bits and pieces that made him want to know more.

Honestly, he had hoped after Junghan and Jisoo had gotten together, that things would go a bit smoother for the two of them. Unfortunately, it only resulted to Mingyu avoiding him all the more. Instead of visiting the pizza shop, the tall boy settled for deliveries. Specifically, deliveries when he knows it won’t be Wonwoo’s shift. When he does visit the store, Junhui said Mingyu makes sure it would be Wonwoo’s free days. The latter really hoped the summer beach getaway would bring them closer, but he knew a lost cause when he saw one.

Wonwoo was expecting Mingyu to look relieved. 

After all, that was probably why the tall boy was acting so weird all of a sudden, right? Talking to him, actually agreeing on a date, all that could only lead to something like breaking Wonwoo’s heart— might as well let him have his moments in heaven before bringing him down. He already felt something bad was going to happen. Something like telling Wonwoo to finally stop. As much as it pained Wonwoo to do so, he figured he had to respect Mingyu’s choice.

There was of course, the chance that he was merely overthinking Mingyu’s actions and going for the negative side of things. But then again, hasn’t Mingyu been openly denying him from the start? For a reason he barely knew, too. So yes, surely, Mingyu just wanted to let him down gently, one final time. Wonwoo had accepted this, despite his gut telling him he’s being stupid. 

Which is why, Wonwoo did not expect Mingyu to shout at him.

“Are you kidding me?” Mingyu asked loudly, eyes wide— he looked like a mix of fury and panic, something Wonwoo has never seen before on the usually chill boy. “You have got to be kidding me. This isn’t funny at all, Wonwoo, what do you mean by you’re giving up?”

Wonwoo opened his mouth to answer; rather, to ask what was going on and all, but Mingyu held up a hand to stop him.

“No, I’m not even going to ask you. Here I was trying to think up a proper way to tell you that I like you, you idiot, and you go ahead and tell me you’re giving up on me?” Mingyu huffed, rolling his eyes before an expression that seemed a bit like guilt appeared on his face, his features softening. “Like yeah, sure, I know I’ve been difficult but I have a good explanation for it— or well, I don’t actually, but I have a reason nonetheless and I just…”

He paused and stared at Wonwoo, face red. 

Wonwoo took the time to process what Mingyu was saying, and how things came crashing down at once. There was a dull buzz in his ears caused by the rapid beating of his heart. He wondered if he was dreaming for a moment; here was Mingyu, staring at him, a blush on his face. Mingyu, who just confessed to him. Did he confess? He remembers hearing the words ‘I like you’ but Wonwoo’s not sure. 

Okay, there was no way this wasn’t a dream. This kind of thing only ever happened in his dreams. Maybe he had fallen asleep in the shower over at Junhui’s room, he wondered to himself. His thoughts were interrupted by Mingyu speaking again.

“I like you.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter