Eight

Bits and Pieces

From the same AU as this.


Donghae usually enjoys being alone. He’s introverted and living with two people in a two-rooms apartment gets suffocating from time to time. He needs to spend time with himself only most than often; he wants to listen to his music as loud as it takes to fade out everything else and sing along, without Yesung turning on the TV or yelling at him to stop screeching like a crow; he wants to read his books in peace, without Minho bursting into the room to tell him things Donghae couldn’t care less about; he wants to play his guitar without the anxiousness of other people hearing him; other times he simply wants to be by himself, without any human contact.

But Donghae does not enjoy being alone at night. Darkness has never been an “old friend” of his; quite the contrary - it terrifies him. And being alone at night means bracing the darkness on his own and that’s something he’s not ready to do.

Here he is now, though, way out of his comfort zone. Yesung went home, back to his hometown, and Minho had left him in favour of spending the night with his girlfriend. Donghae wouldn’t blame him normally, but he does now for leaving him alone.

It’s 2AM. Donghae lies in bed, wide awake. A lamp is next to his bed, fighting the darkness, and the TV is still on in the living room. Donghae thought he would be able to sleep in peace if he had some source of light. He can’t. Not even his monkey plushie, which he’s tightly embracing, can provide him comfort. His eyes are burning with the need of rest, yet he can’t fall asleep no matter how much he tries. He keeps hearing noises from everywhere and he glances towards the bedroom door every other minute, as if someone (or something) is going to slam it open any second now. 

Donghae knows his fear is irrational. He is perfectly aware there’s literally nothing to be afraid of. Still, he can’t help the panic attack that awaits to surface from deep within him.

He needs someone there with him. Badly.

Yesung can’t help him even if he wanted (the heartless bastard probably wouldn’t want to anyway). Minho would probably be on his way, in a taxi, the second Donghae told him he’s not well, but Donghae can’t bring himself to ruin the younger’s night. If he called his uncle, the elder would probably tell Donghae he’s an idiot and laugh at him.

Hyukjae, his heart whispers. Hyukjae is the solution to your problem.

It’s been three months since Donghae met Hyukjae (Eunhyuk was just a nickname; he found that out on their first date). They’ve been dating ever since, but Donghae can’t say they’re a steady couple yet. Not that any of them is not sure about their feelings, but Donghae is a coward who needs a lot of coaxing. He still panics when Hyukjae flirts with him. He still has no idea what to do with his hands (or any other part of his body) when Hyukjae is being intimate with him - enough said.

Even though he’s not totally comfortable with his neighbour yet, Donghae whole-heartedly trusts the man. He’s opening up to him slow, but steady. And Hyukjae assures him every time they meet that if Donghae ever needs someone, he’s only one floor away. 

Donghae needs someone now. Badly.

He feels bad for disturbing the blond’s sleep though. But he knows Hyukjae would scold him for suffering alone instead of calling him.

With this resolution in mind, Donghae takes his phone from the night stand and sends a simple text.

Hyukjae?

The reply comes thirty seconds later (not that he was counting).

What’s wrong?

Donghae chews his bottom lip for a good minute before answering.

I’m scared.

Hyukjae takes longer to reply this time. But when he does, Donghae almost cries in gratitude.

I’m at your door.

He jumps from the bed, runs to the door and fumbles with the keys, almost dropping them in his haste to get the door open as fast as possible. When he manages to get it open and Hyukjae is standing before him, more asleep than awake, he doesn’t know what to say.

Even in his sleepy state, Hyukjae tugs Donghae’s arm until the younger is glued to him, clawing at his loose, sleeping clothes. He runs one hand up and down Donghae’s back and pats his head with the other. Donghae whimpers, wishing nothing more than to stay like this forever.

After Donghae calms down, Hyukjae breaks their embrace and gets them inside. He locks the door, turns off the TV and pulls Donghae towards the bedroom. They get comfortable in bed, Hyukjae holding Donghae against him and Donghae resting his head on his shoulder.

“Sorry,” Donghae whispers into his skin.

The elder mumbles an “it’s okay”, bringing the younger even closer to his body.

“Thank you,” Donghae whispers again. He even leaves a shy kiss on the blond’s neck.

When minutes pass without Hyukjae saying anything, Donghae assumes the elder has fallen asleep. But then he feels a firm, long kiss on top of his head.

“I love you.”

And Donghae can’t sleep because of an entirely different reason.