Of Lost Wallets and Their Cute Owners

Bits and Pieces

Mondays are the worst of days. Everybody hates Mondays with a passion. Not because Monday is a special day in the bad way, nothing particularly awful happens on every Monday that causes the entire population to hate it; but because it has the misfortune to be the first day of the week. It's the day that shatters all your dreams and kills the fun, -slapping you back to reality in the process.

 

Everybody hates Mondays. Hyukjae hates Mondays too. Maybe not as much as most people, but he definitely does and the reason behind it is the three hours-long class held by the most obnoxious, snobby and arrogant professor in the whole University - a very intelligent professor, though too intelligent to be nice and make himself liked.

 

Hyukjae is not the type of person who likes attention or seeks to be acknowledged and he's rather a passive student, talking only when asked. He managed to pass the first year of college unnoticed by the said professor. Half of the second year has gone by mostly the same ... until the day Hyukjae dyed his hair platinum blond. The professor spotted him right away and asked if the student somehow confused the shampoo with bleacher. He has been calling Hyukjae Draco Malfoy ever since and never misses a chance to make fun of his hair (Hyukjae despises the old man for the embarrassment, but he gives him props for the Harry Potter reference).

 

Needless to say, the blond is not fond of Mondays just because he has to meet the not-so-funny professor. This particular Monday afternoon finds him leaving university dead-tired and starved. He heads straight to the nearest McDonald's without anything in mind but a big menu and maybe an extra cheeseburger and cherry pie as dessert.

 

When he's about one meter away from the entrance, he spots an abandoned  wallet on the edge of the pavement, ready to be kicked in the street any second now. Hyukjae picks it up and dusts it while looking around for a potential owner. No one seems to pay attention to him though; almost no one - a middle-aged man spots him and catches on. He hastily makes his way to the student.

 

"Bless you, young man! You have found my wallet!" he says; he's a little too enthusiastic and his relieved expression is so fake that even a kid would be able to tell that he's lying.

 

Hyukjae looks at the man warily, observing his messy, untidy clothes and the way he slurs the words. The wallet in his hands is made of almost shining, brown leather and there's no trace of scratches or smudges on it; it's folded in three and it has a separate pocket for coins. It's a man's wallet for sure, but not the man's in front of Hyukjae.

 

"Are you sure this is your wallet, sir?" the younger asks, putting some distance between himself and the man.

 

The man frowns and raises his voice accusingly. "Of course I am! Now give it back!"

 

"If it's yours then you won't have any problem telling me the exact sum of money in it, right?"

 

"You insolent brat! Give me the wallet now or else -"

 

Hyukjae moves away fast, faster than the drunkard can react, and enters the fast food restaurant, going straight to a table and sitting. He sighs in relief when the crook doesn't follow him and prays that the man is not desperate enough to wait outside until he leaves. After calming down his wildly beating heart, the blond opens the wallet and searches through it; there's a big sum of money (enough to pay half of a college tuition even) and a McDonald's receipt  from the same location Hyukjae is at, but nothing that could lead back to the owner.

 

Tough luck, Hyukjae thinks as he makes his way to the counter.

 

"Excuse me," he says when his turns comes, "I found this wallet just outside and it has a receipt from two hours ago. Do you think you or one of your colleagues can remember who it belongs to?"

 

The cashier - a brunet guy around Hyukjae's age with a not very friendly face - looks at him with an are you ing kidding me?! expression. "Dude, we see dozens of people per hour. Do you honestly think we pay attention to them or to their wallets while we hurry to serve them?"

 

"Oh, um ... well no, but ... maybe someone did notice this one?" the student stumbles over his words, feeling bad for disturbing the worker.

 

The other man lets out an annoyed sigh, but takes the wallet from Hyukjae and goes around his colleagues nonetheless. He returns a minute later with a pretty girl.

 

"I was the one who served the owner of that wallet," she says with a kind smile. Hyukjae thanks the Heavens that she's actually nice. "It was a young man, student I think. Not quite tall, a few centimeters shorter than you."

 

What's that supposed to mean?!

 

"Short, auburn hair, fit body and very very handsome."

 

"How in the world do you remember so much?" the guy asks, completely bewildered.

 

The girl blushes lightly and shows a sheepish smile. "I may have flirted with him a little."

 

"Did you get his number by any chance? Or a name?" Hyukjae immediately asks.

 

"No, he was pretty shy ... and gay," she says with regret.

 

"Oh. Well, thank you very much for your help."

 

"No problem. Good luck in finding him!"

 

Hyukjae leaves without success and also without food, the foreign wallet hanging heavy in his backpack.

 

The next day, he takes the wallet with him at university and shows it to his friends, telling them what happened.

 

"You should take it to the police," Leeteuk, the voice of wisdom and reason, says.

 

"There are so many police stations in this city, I doubt the owner will try every one of them," Hyukjae argues. "The girl from McDonald's said he's a student, maybe he's from here. You should all ask around."

 

Heechul, the embodiment of sarcasm and cynicism, is quick to mock him. "And what should we ask - any handsome homoual lost his wallet? If so, please look for Lee Hyukjae from Performing Arts, also a homoual, but not so handsome."

 

Hyukjae pretends to not have heard that one.

 

"I think it's very honorable of you to try so hard, Hyukjae," Siwon pats his shoulder. "I will aid you in your noble quest. We'll ask every student in this University! We'll ask every student from every University if we have to!"

 

"You're all ing idiots," Kyuhyun barges in. "Why am I even friends with you?!"

 

Heechul rolls his eyes. "Enlighten us, oh, Almighty One!"

 

"The solution is right in Leeteuk's hands," Kyuhyun says and all of them turn to the former, who slowly lowers his phone as if afraid one of them is going to snatch it. "Not your phone ... what you're doing on the phone."

 

"Facebook?"

 

"Duh! It's the most popular social network, everybody uses it. All you have to do is make a post about the lost wallet and ask people to spread it. Everything else will sort itself out."

 

Hyukjae thinks about it and hums in agreement. "That's actually brilliant."

 

"Of course," Kyuhyun scoffs. "It was I who came up with it."

 

The blond ignores him. "Heechul-hyung, will you do it please?"

 

"Why?"

 

"Because you have half of Seoul befriended on Facebook."

 

"... fair enough."

 

Heechul makes the post that night, but nothing happens for the rest of the week, except for another few crooks trying to steal someone else's money.

 

It's Monday afternoon again. Hyukjae slams the door of the rented flat behind him and collapses on his side of the bed without even taking his shoes off.

 

"What's up?" Jiho, one of his flatmates asks from the other side.

 

"I ing hate Mondays!" the blond growls and buries his head under the pillow.

 

He had two tests today one after the other and his brain feels electrocuted, but he can't take a break and relax because he has a paper to finish for Wednesday. Something good happened though: Heechul told him that a guy contacted him about the wallet. The elder gave him Hyukjae's address and he should come later tonight to pick it up. Hyukjae scolded Heechul - "You gave my address to a stranger, are you crazy?!" - but Heechul quickly dismissed him - "You'll thank me later."

 

The mysterious owner of the wallet arrives around 8 PM. Hyukjae opens the door and freezes; standing in front of him is the most beautiful guy his eyes have ever landed on. He knows it's the right person because he matches the girl's description perfectly.

 

"H-hello! Are you Hyukjae?" the stranger asks with uncertainty.

 

"Yes!" the blond answers, too quickly to sound composed. "Yes, that's me! I'm Hyukjae."

 

"Oh. Uh, I'm Lee Donghae. I'm here for my wallet ..."

 

Hyukjae's brain starts working again at the mention of the lost item. "Your wallet, right! Sorry, I'll be right back."

 

He almost runs to the bedroom to retrieve it and back.

 

"Thank you!" Donghae says as he takes it, bowing his head a little. He opens it and counts the money. "Oh, wow! It's all here!" His mouth breaks into a blinding beam and he hugs Hyukjae, making him forget how to breathe. "Thank you so much, really! Those are my college tuition, I don't know what I'd do without them!"

 

"You- you're welcome," Hyukjae manages to mumble, stiff as a rock.

 

When Donghae steps away from him, his cheeks are rosy and he starts fumbling with his fingers.

 

"Um, I was wondering ... maybe ... do you want to meet sometime ... you know, for coffee or ice-cream ..."

 

Hyukjae looks at him incredulously, amazed that the other would ask a stranger out; and then he figures out why. "It's okay, you don't have to treat me. I don't expect anything in return for your wallet."

 

"Oh, no!" Donghae snaps, startling the blond. "I mean ... I am very grateful, but that's not ... You seem like a very nice and kind person so I ... but it's okay if you don't want to! Ugh, just ... just forget I said anything."

 

A dumb grin spreads on Hyukjae's face as he watches the flustered man in front of him hiding his face behind his hands. Is Donghae actually asking him out? Well, he'll be damned if he says no.

 

"I'd love to go out with you, Donghae."

 

Donghae peeks at him from behind his fingers - Asdfghjkl so freakin' cute! - and slowly uncovers his face.

 

"Oh. Okay. Awesome!"

 

They exchange numbers and agree to meet on Friday night. Donghae leaves and Hyukjae goes back in the apartment with the biggest, silliest smile on his face.

 

"What's with that face?" Jongwan, his other flatmate, asks.

 

"I ing love Mondays!"