Storm

Bits and Pieces

Violent roaring from outside wakes Hyukjae up at two in the morning. He doesn’t understand what’s happening at first, his brain still sluggish from sleep. He lies motionless on his back, blinking at the ceiling. He’s on the verge of falling asleep again when some kind of explosion comes out from outside again and water drips on his legs, trickling from the window. He sits up and touches his legs, only to find the sheets also wet.

 

What the—

 

A blinding strike of lightning lights up the whole room, followed by a deafening thunder. It’s then Hyukjae realizes what’s going on: the worst storm he has probably witnessed.

 

He jumps on his feet on the bed, cursing and groaning, and quickly closes the window. He draws the curtains too, because the lightning is disturbing (and he might be just a teeny bit scared).

 

Hyukjae knew there would come a day he’ll regret having the bed right under the window. He couldn’t do anything about it though. When he arrived at the dorm for the first time, his roommate had already taken the other bad.

 

The sheets are not so wet as to need changing, luckily.

 

Sighing, Hyukjae lies back, more than ready to drift back into dreamland. Sleep seemed to have run away from him, however. He tosses and turns for about half an hour, disturbed by the continuous thunders and lightning. It’s not like he’s afraid of storms; but having to sleep right under the window when something close to the apocalypse is taking place outside is way out of his comfort zone.

 

He buries his head under the pillow and closes his eyes tightly, forcing himself asleep. Just as he drifts off, a wall-shaking thunder booms, scaring him wide awake. With his heart in his throat, Hyukjae turns his back to the window. His roommate’s bed looks awfully appealing right now and he looks with spite at the sleeping boy.

 

Donghae is sprawled on the bed, snoring softly. His hair is sticking in every direction and a drool trickles from the corner of his mouth onto the pillow. The blanket is half entangled between his legs, half on the floor, and the sheets are a complete mess under his body. Despite his roommate’s embarrassing state, Hyukjae still finds him cute.

 

A sudden urge to leave his bed and join Donghae on his takes over Hyukjae as he watches the boy sleep. Who knows, maybe he’ll be able to sleep away from the window.

 

He grabs his pillow and makes his way to the other bed. He gently nudges Donghae’s limbs closer to his body, making space for himself. He sneaks in between Donghae and the wall, shifting and groaning until he finds a comfortable position. He barely has enough space to breathe and he has to put one of his legs over Donghae’s. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all. He considers going back to his bed, when Donghae wakes up.

 

“Hyukjae?” he mumbles, his eyes blinking rapidly as he tries to focus on the other. “What’cha doin’ in my bed?”

 

Hyukjae clears his throat. Awkward. “Uh … I couldn’t sleep under the window. T-the lightning is too close.”

 

To his surprise (he wasn’t expecting Donghae to actually register his words), Donghae laughs, making him wish to be struck by the troublesome lightning. “Would’ve never guessed badass Hyukjae is scared by a little storm.”

 

Little?! That’s the end of the world going on outside!

 

“What a shocker,” Hyukjae huffs, turning his back to his roommate. “I’m actually human. You can take my bed if you’re so mighty.”

 

As if he wasn’t already squished against the wall enough, Donghae glues his chest to Hyukjae’s back and both of his arms wrap around his waist. Donghae’s breath tickles his neck as he speaks.

 

“Don’t wanna. This is nice. Goodnight, Hyukjae.”

 

Hyukjae smiles. Yes, it is very nice, indeed.