Firefighter!AU

Bits and Pieces

Requested on Tumblr (here)


"MOVE! FASTER!"

 

"RISK OF EXPLOSION!"

 

"IS EVERYONE OUT?!"

 

"THERE'S SOMEONE TRAPPED ON THE FIFTH FLOOR!"

 

"RESCUE TEAM, GO!"

 

Hyukjae doesn't need to be told twice. He dashes up the stairs, a member of RIC right behind him. He reaches the fifth floor, but he can't move forward and enter the burning flat; his colleagues are still fighting to put out the flames blocking the entrance. He runs outside again and requests for a ladder to be set up.

 

Meanwhile, the person trapped in the flat - a young man - has managed to get out on the balcony. The ladder is quickly set and the firefighters instruct him to climb down on it. The man, however, remains frozen in his place, looking down at them with terrified eyes. Someone shouts at him again, but he just shakes his head frantically.

 

"I'm going up!" Hyukjae announces. He climbs the ladder with haste and extends a hand towards the man when he reaches him, encouraging him to take it. Still, the man does not move a finger. Up close, the firefighter can see more clearly how frightened the civilian is; some people react like that to shock. Having no other choice and no more time, Hyukjae gets onto the balcony with him. "Hey, we gotta go! Now!" He gets a hold of the man and shakes him lightly.

 

"N-no ... too high ... too high ..."

 

"It's okay! I'm going to carry you, alright? But we gotta go now!"

 

Hyukjae turns around and squats a little to allow the guy to get on his back. He climbs on the ladder again and hurries down, more concerned about the man's death grip around his neck than the flames.

 

They reach the ground safely. Hyukjae takes the man away from the building, in a more quiet place, where his neighbors have been also taken. The guy clings to Hyukjae even as some of the neighbours rush to him, offering care and comfort - it's like he doesn't even see or hear them. The firefighter has a hard time getting him off his back, but he understands what he's going through so he allows the young man to tremble in his arms until he eventually passes out.

 

The next few days are less hectic; only some pets stuck in weird places or malfunctioning elevators. Hyukjae is thankful, for he needs a break badly.

 

"Hyukjae!" Himchan, one of the younger guys working there, calls him on Friday afternoon. Hyukjae is playing an intense card games with some colleagues, ready to humiliate them any second. "Someone is here for you."

 

The elder raises his head from the cards, a confused frown adorning his face. "Who?" No one really visits him at the station; his family waits for him home when they want to see him and his friends know that it's not appropriate to look for him there.

 

"Oh, you'll see," Himchan says with secrecy, an obnoxious grin pulling at his mouth.

 

Hyukjae excuses himself from the game and leaves with a sigh, the other guys whistling behind him and teasing him about a possible girlfriend - if only they knew he's not into women at all. He stops by the bathroom shortly to make sure he's presentable, runs a hand through his messy, chestnut hair and descends to the main entrance.

 

A young man waits for him in the lobby. He's around Hyukjae's height, quite fit and very handsome. His hair is dark-brown and short and fluffy; sleek side-swept bangs cover his forehead neatly. Hyukjae recognizes him immediately.

 

"Hello! I hope I'm not disturbing you," the guy says when the firefighter stops in front of him.

 

"It's fine, I'm not busy."

 

"I'm Lee Donghae. I ... uh ... you saved me from the fire a few days ago," he says with uncertainty.

 

Hyukjae smiles happily, already knowing why the man is there. "I remember you. I'm glad to see you are alright."

 

Donghae seems delighted to be recognized. "Yes, I am. A little shaken up still, but ..."

 

"It's completely normal. You should take a break a few days, some healing time will do you good."

 

"I guess," Donghae clears his throat nervously. "I came to thank you. You probably saved my life and I'm very, very grateful."

 

For firefighters or police workers, this kind of scenario is not unusual. Civilians would often come searching for them at the station, showering them in blessings and wishes of health and luck for helping the victims when they most needed it. People thanking him for saving their lives despite the fact it's his job to do it always make Hyukjae feel extremely happy and pleased with himself; it's heart-warming for both sides. It used to be awkward at first because the fireman never knew how to reply to their thankfulness. In time he learned to settle for a simple, but genuine "You're welcome." And that's what he tells Donghae as well.

 

The younger mutters some more thankful words, gives him a grateful hug and leaves. As he watches Donghae go, Hyukjae wonders if he only imagined the man's arms lingering around him more than necessary and the sparkle in his eyes as he threw his saviour one last glance. He dismisses the thought as quickly as it came, sure that he won't see Donghae again.

 

Hyukjae is only half-right. He does not see Donghae again, but the young man is not out of his life just yet.

 

On Monday, Himchan brings him a gift bag with a little card attached to it, signed by Lee Donghae. Inside the bag is a carefully wrapped, little angel figurine. Hyukjae is so touched he places it on his bedside table.

 

On Tuesday, he receives a big piece of cake. Hyukjae shares it with his colleagues, because he hadn't been the only one involved in the intervention.

 

On Wednesday, it's an invitation to dinner.

 

"You should go," Himchan encourages him. "You're almost 40-"

 

"I'M 33!"

 

"If you wait any longer, you're gonna end up a lonely, miserable, grumpy old man."

 

So Hyukjae goes. He meets Donghae at the chosen location - a casual restaurant downtown - and has a great time with him. They talk about themselves and find common interests to keep the conversation flowing. Donghae is 26 years-old photographer who loves fantasy books, comics and traveling. Hyukjae finds him a little childish for his age, but he decides that it's part of his charm. When they leave, it's Hyukjae who asks for a second meeting. Donghae kisses his cheek and thanks him; for what, the older does not know.

 

They meet every few days, whenever Hyukjae can get off duty. They have meals together, take strolls in parks and even go clubbing a few times. Hyukjae realizes he really likes Donghae and the feeling seems to be mutual. Himchan tells him to man up and ask the younger to be his boyfriend. Hyukjae intends to do just that, though he delays the moment every time they meet. Donghae still thanks him every time they part and, even though greatly confused, the elder gets used to ignoring the quirk. Until one night when he figures it all out: Donghae has invited him to a friend's party and Hyukjae accepted to go as his date, thinking that meeting each other's friends is inevitable. When the fateful moment comes, Donghae introduces him as the man who saved my life. It downs on Hyukjae right in that instant that the younger is still hung up on what happened when they met; that the reason he  always thanks him is because of that incident, even after all that time; that maybe Donghae's feelings are not mutual after all.

 

The firefighter returns home that night feeling the biggest fool in the world.

 

"What?" Himchan inquires as soon as he sees him. "Did he reject you?"

 

Hyukjae throws his jacket and shoes in a corner and collapses on the bed. "I didn't even ask him ... I never will."

 

"Don't get cold feet now! You're almost there!"

 

"It's not that!"

 

"What then? The ? He's legal, you know, you're not considered a e."

 

The elder considers murdering Himchan, but he's actually grateful that he's there for him, willing to listen to him. Hyukjae really needs to get it off his chest.

 

"Donghae spends so much time with me and wants to see me because I saved his life."

 

"And what's wrong with that?"

 

"Everything! Himchan, it could have been anyone saving him that day! He only likes me because it was me who saved him. If you would've been the one to do it, he would be dating you right now ..." Hyukjae says, hating how bitter he sounds.

 

Himchan sits next to the elder with a frown and puts a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Hyukjae, I think you're over-thinking this. Donghae is a really nice person. I bet he doesn't even realize it. I believe he really likes you."

 

"I want him to like me because I'm me, not because I'm the firefighter who saved his life ..."

 

Hyukjae calls Donghae the next day and asks to meet him. He tells the younger everything he told Himchan the night before and says that it would be better if they'd stop seeing each other. Donghae looks so lost and heartbroken that Hyukjae almost takes it all back and asks for forgiveness. He leaves before he does just that, turning deaf to the other's calls of his name.

 

A week passes; a week of ignoring Donghae's calls and texts; a week in which Hyukjae immerses himself completely in his job. He even volunteers to go on interventions when he's off duty only to fill up the emptiness his life returned to.

 

On Monday he receives a note; an old fashioned note, like the ones they used to pass in classes before technology went berzerk - I like you because you're caring and protective and gentle, it says. Hyukjae recognizes the hand writing immediately and asks himself what the hell is Donghae doing?

 

On Tuesday, the note comes with a piece of chocolate wrapped in green - Hyukjae's favorite colour. I like the way you always put others above you.

 

On Wednesday, it comes with a scarf, because the weather is getting chillier everyday. I like you because you allow me to be as childish as I want to without patronizing me.

 

Thursday, it's some kind of soothing tea that helps you relax, because Donghae has heard about the big fire on the news and he knows Hyukjae must be exhausted. I like you because I can talk to you about anything and everything and you don't get tired of me. Hyukjae has never slept so good his whole life.

 

There have been a lot of fires lately it seems, so on Friday it's vitamins. I like you because you have the kindest heart and the purest soul.

 

On Saturday, it's only the note - I like everything about you. Hyukjae's heart melts instantly. He considers calling Donghae, but he doesn't in the end. Himchan almost pushes him out the window for being a coward.

 

On Sunday, Hyukjae makes up his mind. I like you because you are Hyukjae. I really do. A single red rose accompanies the note.

 

~*~

 

The past two weeks have been the most miserable in Donghae's entire life. He misses Hyukjae dearly, but it doesn't even compare to how terrible he feels about making the elder think he doesn't like and appreciate him for who he is. It's true that at first Donghae only approached the firefighter because he saved his life, but it wasn't the reason he kept meeting him and he regrets causing Hyukjae to misunderstand. Donghae has been trying to prove him otherwise the whole week, but there's still no sign from Hyukjae.

 

The next Monday, Donghae decides to go straight to the station and make things right. He is not ready to let the elder go so easily. After all, if you truly want something, you have to fight for it. Donghae hopes that Hyukjae will be willing to hear him out and let him speak.

 

Hyukjae does not let him speak. Hgukjae does not let him say anything at all, because the first thing he does when he sees Donghae is kiss him until they're both left breathless.

 

"You make me go crazy," the elder mutters, only a breath away from his lips.

 

Donghae almost cries in happiness and relief as Hyukjae continues to kiss him senseless.