Seven

Bits and Pieces

Donghae can’t believe his bad luck when he returns home, only to find himself locked on the outside.

 

He had gone out to buy a present for a friend, and some groceries around 6PM. He discovered an outdoors philharmonic festival of some sorts on the way home and decided to enjoy the good music for a while. He left the concert after half an hour; he would’ve stayed longer, but the groceries needed a fridge badly.

 

The block’s entrance has been locked when he arrived at the apartment complex. No biggie, though; it’s normal for residents to lock the front door at night. But when he inserted the key and couldn’t open it no matter how much he tried, Donghae knew he’s doomed. He lost count of how many times he tried — the key still wouldn’t budge.

 

So here he is now, pulling and pushing at the door frantically, bag forgotten on the side. He kicks the door a few times in hopes of someone hearing, but no one comes and Donghae feels like crying. In his twenty years of life, never had he been locked anywhere.

 

Get a hold of yourself, Donghae! he thinks. You’re almost a responsible adult. You’ve been living alone for the past eight months. You will keep calm and find a solution.

 

Easier said than done, another part of his brain retorts.

 

Somewhere between arguing with himself and helplessly looking inside the building, Donghae’s eyes fall on the door that leads to the dumpsters. Of course! All he needs to do is find the entrance to the backyard and then he can enter the block from there.

 

He picks up his bag and rushes around the corner, rounding the building. He finds no back entrance though. Letting out his frustration through a long, heavy sigh, he slumps on the front step. He takes out his phone and calls his flatmate.

 

Guilt washes over him with every ring. Minho is spending the night with his girlfriend and Donghae does not want to disturb them. However, he doesn’t want to sleep on the streets either.

 

“You’re stuck outside?” Minho asks, his voice a combination of amusement and worry. More amusement though.

 

“This is not funny, Minho! What am I supposed to do now?!”

 

“Are you sure you tried the right key?”

 

“Do you think I’m stupid?!”

 

“Well—”

 

“Don’t answer that!”

 

A long pause and a resigned sigh later, Minho says: “Do you want me to come there? It probably won’t solve anything, but at least you won’t be lonely.”

 

“No!” Donghae protests. “I don’t want to ruin your night. I’ll manage ...”

 

“You sure?”

 

No. Save me please.

 

“Yes. I’ll call you when I get in.”

 

Minho doesn’t sound convinced, but he gives in easily. “All right. Take care!”

 

“ my life,” Donghae groans after hanging up.

 

He’s been sitting for twenty minutes (which feel like an eternity) when the sound of the handle being pressed startles Donghae. He looks up and then jumps on his feet when he sees a pretty girl struggling to open the door from the inside. She notices him too and points to the door, raising her eyebrows in question. Donghae shakes his head pitifully. The girl frowns, an irritated expression painting her face (Donghae doesn’t blame her), before she makes a call. Donghae can’t hear through the glass, but he hopes she’s calling for help.

 

Five minutes later, a guy makes his way down the stairs. He smugly shakes a set of keys in front of the girl’s eyes, as if he’s holding the mysteries of the universe between his fingers, and proceeds to unlock the door. Only, the door does not unlock. The guy’s face falls. He forces both the key and the handle a few times, before accepting defeat. He turns to the girl, laughing, to Donghae’s surprise.

 

What’s there to laugh about?! They’re locked!

 

But of course he would laugh - he’s not the one trying to get inside or outside.

 

The girl starts talking, furiously gesticulating all the while. At some point, she points outside, at Donghae. The guy turns towards him and they stare at each other.

 

Donghae wonders how come he’s never saw the man before, given they’re obviously neighbours. His sharp, mature features show he’s a little older than Donghae, but the mop of blond hair straightened over his forehead makes him look like a teenager. He’s wearing a plain T-shirt and sweatpants and the clothes look so messy, the guy might have as well slept in them. Despite this, Donghae finds him oddly attractive.

 

The man offers Donghae a sympathetic smile. Donghae’s heart starts doing flips in his chest.

 

Damn, I’m screwed! he thinks, looking away.

 

Donghae hates how easy it is for him to crush on random people he barely knows (or doesn’t know at all). Fortunately, these infatuations don’t last longer than two, maybe three days.

 

When he returns his gaze inside, the girl is reading something from the notice board and the blonde is typing on his phone. He raises the device to his ear and waits, then starts talking. The girl is staring at him, her heels clicking on the floor. After the man finishes the call, they exchange a few words — which the girl is not pleased to hear judging by the way she rolls her eyes starts pacing around the lobby.

 

The man shrugs and comes towards the windows. Donghae panics when he notices the other’s eyes fixed on him.

 

“Don’t worry,” the blonde mouths, an encouraging smile on his lips.

 

Whatever that’s supposed to mean, Donghae mentally snorts, but nods at the nice neighbour.

 

The guys sits on the steps and Donghae decides to follow his lead, turning his back and dropping on his . He takes out his phone and scrolls through Facebook for a short while, before picking a chocolate bar from the groceries bag and unwrapping it. As he munches on the snack, the sound of a new notification diverts his attention to the phone again.

 

It’s a friend request — a friend request from an Eunhyuk, who looks exactly like the neighbour sitting behind him. Donghae gulps, tempted to subtly turn his head for a peek at the blonde, but lacking the guts to do it.

 

What am I getting myself into? he thinks as he taps the accept request button.

 

Not even a minute later, he receives a message from this Eunhyuk.

 

Hey!

Hi.

Sorry, I took a peek at your name while you were on Facebook earlier.

I know it’s not the best way to introduce myself, but you look kinda sad and anxious all alone there. I thought you might like someone to talk to :)

 

Donghae has no idea how to reply to that. The method is a bit creepy ... but the guy’s intention seems genuinely nice and Donghae finds himself grinning from ear to ear.

 

Thank you! I appreciate the thought :)

 

Well then ... nice to meet you, Donghae :)

 

Donghae thanks whoever made the glass windows so thick when he starts giggling. He certainly doesn’t want Eunhyuk to hear him gushing over a simple conversation.

 

Nice to meet you too!

 

So do you live here? I don’t think I’ve seen you around before.

 

Yes, since November.

 

Wow! That’s some time ago ...

I live on the 6th floor. You?

 

5th.

 

If I knew I have such a cute neighbour I would’ve come down to ask for sugar or something ^^

 

Donghae’s breath gets stuck in his throat as he reads the last message. Was Eunhyuk flirting with him? Or was he simply complimenting his looks? Donghae knows it’s not appropriate to assume people’s ualities, but he’s pretty sure straight guys don’t call each other cute. Do they?

 

A bubble appears from Eunhyuk’s icon, notifying Donghae the blonde is currently typing.

 

Please don’t say “no homo”! Please be gay! Or bi, or pan — whatever you want to! Just please don’t be straight!

 

Before Hyukjae gets to send the text, Donghae is distracted by a panting elderly man coming towards him.

 

“I’m so sorry, young man!” he says between gasps for air. “We changed the lock and we didn’t find you home to give you the new key.”

 

Donghae’s phone dings, but he chooses to ignore it. He’s too scared to see what it says.

 

“It’s okay, sir,” Donghae says as the man unlocks the door. “You didn’t have to hurry so much.”

 

“I didn’t want to keep you out for long. It’s already late.”

 

From the corner of his eyes, Donghae sees Eunhyuk getting up and the girl joining him in front of the door. He realizes he would soon be standing right in front of the blonde, without any barriers between them, and he panics. He has no idea why, but he does.

 

“Someone will come tomorrow evening, around 6 I think, to give you the new key,” the elder man says and Donghae nods absent-mindedly. “All right, there you go.”

 

As soon as the door is open, Donghae rushes past the three figures, straight into the elevator. He throws a last look towards the entrance, blushing and turning his head when he notices Eunhyuk looking at him as well.

 

~*~

 

When the doorbell rings for the third time, Donghae is ready to murder someone for ruining his nap. The person outside can consider themselves lucky for him being too drowsy and comfy tangled in the sheets. He’s also to lazy to put on clothes and he fears he might die of a heatstroke if he does. He settles for yelling an “Open the damn door already!” to Yesung (his other flat mate), who mutters some insults as a reply.

 

He’s almost on the verge of falling asleep again when Yesung barges into the bedroom.

 

“Why make me open the damn door if the person was looking for you, huh?”

 

Donghae jolts from the bed, sending the pillows on the floor. “What?!”

 

“There’s a dude looking for you,” Yesung repeats, an eye brow raised behind his bangs. “He said his name is ... Eunhyuk?”

 

“Oh, no!” Donghae’s blood runs cold and his eyes dart everywhere around the room, looking for spots to hide. “No, I’m not home!”

 

“I already told him you’re—”

 

“Then I’m sick! And it’s contagious!”

 

“Donghae!” Yesung growls. The former freezes, half of his body already hidden under the sheets. “I told him you’ll be out in five minutes.” Donghae whines and starts trashing around the bed. “Who’s this guy anyway? You look ready to run a mile. Has he done something to you? If so, I can go back and make sure he never bothers you again.”

 

“No!”

 

Yesung crosses his arms on his chest and leans against the door frame, waiting for an explanation Donghae does not want to give.

 

“He’s our neighbour from the 6th floor. We’ve met yesterday ... kinda,” Donghae says, rubbing his nape. “I think he was flirting with me.”

 

“Okay ... and?”

 

“And nothing. I stormed inside ...”

 

Yesung shakes his head. “You’re hopeless,” he says as he comes to sit next to his friend. “Why do you feel the need to runaway every time someone shows interest in you?”

 

“I don’t know,” Donghae whimpers, dropping his head on Yesung’s shoulder. “I’m not like you and Minho. My brain freezes when someone talks to me, let alone flirts!”

 

Yesung pats his head with pity. “What are we gonna do with you, you big baby? I can send him away if you want.”

 

Donghae is tempted to accept. But the (small) part of him that craves human contact once in a blue moon yells to go see why Eunhyuk is there.

 

“I-I guess I’ll g-go.”

 

Yesung slaps his back encouragingly, a little too hard, and Donghae stumbles out of bed. He picks the nearest clothes he sees (his tank top and Minho’s sweatpants, slightly too tight on his and he’s stepping on the legs’ hems, but oh, well ...) and dashes to the door.

 

The blonde is pacing around the hallway when Donghae exits the apartment, closing the door behind him. He does not want Yesung to hear the embarrassing conversation he will probably have.

 

“E-Eunhyuk?”

 

The man swiftly turns around, a warm smile on his handsome face. He’s not wearing pyjamas anymore, but stylish, casual clothes. Donghae doesn’t miss the way he wipes his hands on his jeans.

 

“Hi,” Eunhyuk says, his voice sounding relieved. “I was worried you wouldn’t come.”

 

I almost didn’t.

 

Donghae smiles; a nervous smile, but he hopes it still looks friendly. “Sorry I took so long. I was sleeping.”

 

“Oh! I’m sorry I woke you up!” Eunhyuk looks genuinely guilty. “I can come back later if you want ...”

 

“No!” Donghae startles the both of them. “I-I mean ... well, I’m already awake so ...”

 

Eunhyuk hums and then shifts his eyes around, before stopping on him. He gives the impression that he’s stalling. Donghae doesn’t know what, but he’s not sure he wants to know either. The awkward silence is killing him though.

 

“So, um ... Yesung said you were looking for me?”

 

“Yes, I am! I was wondering ...” The blonde swallows. “Did you read my last message yesterday?”

 

The message Donghae tried with all his might to ignore. The petrified expression he unconsciously makes is enough answer for Eunhyuk.

 

“I’ll take that as a no.”

 

Donghae feels terrible. “I’m so sorry, Eunhyuk! I completely forgot!” It’s not a lie. He did forget about it sometime through the night.

 

“It’s okay,” Eunhyuk says. His eyes look brighter than before and Donghae wonder why; surely not because of something he said. “I was hoping you would say that actually.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’ll be frank: I asked you out.”

 

“Wha— me?!”

 

Donghae’s eyes go wide and his mouth even wider. This is the first time someone actually asks him out; and he doesn’t know what to reply. Even though he’s love to go out with Eunhyuk, the words refuse to leave his mouth.

 

“I was looking for you now, because I wanted to do it in person,” the blonde continues, running a hand through his hair. “So, uh ... would you like to dine with me tonight?”

 

“Wow, I ...” Donghae mutters, his brain going in overdrive. So he really was flirting with me, he can’t help thinking in the middle of it all. “Yes, I’d like too!”

 

The wide grin on Eunhyuk’s face takes his breath away.

 

“Great! I’ll see you down in half an hour then?”

 

Donghae nods, excited like a kid on Christmas morning. “Great!”

 

When he enters his flat, he finds Yesung waiting in the kitchen.

 

“So?”

 

“I’ve got a date! Tonight!”

 

“About time,” his friend laughs. “Go get ready then.”

 

There’s something Donghae has to do first.

 

“Have you seen my phone?”

 

“I think it’s on the sofa.”

 

When Donghae finds his phone, he goes straight to see Eunhyuk’s message.

 

Well, now that we finally met, maybe we can get to know each other better. How about lunch or dinner in the near future?