Reading Between the Lines (Literally)

Bits and Pieces

Requested on Tumblr (here)


New York is a city of wonders. It can go from “your dream come true” to “your worst nightmare” in about five minutes. Most people who live here are in a love-hate relationship with it: on one hand, there are always new people to meet, new places to visit, and high diversity; on the other, no matter how huge the city is, it still seems not big enough for all the people.

 

That’s what Donghae thinks as he takes the subway from Kingston – Throop Avs. towards 59 St. – Columbus Circle and finds no empty seats. It’s not like him to want to sit in the subway; he prefers letting the elders and the kids have that privilege even though he has to ride 18 stations. Today, however, he would consider even fighting for a chair. He injured his left leg the day before and the slightest pressure shots sparks of agonizing pain through it. If he has to stand for 40 minutes and then walk another 10 or 15 until he reaches Juilliard, someone will have to find him a wheeling chair.

 

Luckily for him, Donghae manages to occupy a seat when the metro reaches the next station. He takes out his book – The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, his newest favorite author - and focuses his attention on it. He raises his eyes from it only when a young guy takes the seat next to him. Rock music can be heard loud and clear from the man’s headphones and his right hand moves smoothly to the beat on his thigh, distracting Donghae. Intrigued, Donghae glances sideways. He is met with the handsome features of an Asian. Unlike himself, however, the guy seems to be only half-Asian if his blue eyes are any indication. His hair is short and red, his lips puffy, and his jaw line so sharp Donghae wonders if it cuts.

 

Just my kind of man, he thinks as he averts his eyes back to his book. Still, he peeks at the red head every few seconds, until his entire being screams at his brain to make a move. But the man looks lost in his music and Donghae doesn’t want to interrupt. He doubts the guy would hear him anyway.

 

He returns his attention to his book with a defeated sigh. As his eyes run over the words on the page, an idea strikes him like lightning. He takes out a pen from his backpack and starts searching through the pages. When he finally finds what he’s looking for, he pushes the open book towards the handsome stranger. The man stares at the page for a moment and turns towards Donghae with a skeptical expression. Donghae understands why; he just handed the guy the book on a page where he circled a certain word – Hello.

Honestly, Donghae thought his idea to be brilliant at first: he would engage the guy in a conversation through the book. Now, as he sees the way the man looks at him, he’s not as confident anymore. He’s not willing to give up easily though.

 

Go big or go home, he shrugs to himself as he flips the pages, looking for the words he needs. He stops at page 46 and circles: “I say”, “You’re”, “I apologize” and “charming” – I’m sorry for disturbing, but I find you charming and attractive. The words are not exactly in the correct order, but if the dude is smart, he’ll figure it out; if not, then Donghae is wasting his time. He hands him the book again, along with the pen this time.

 

The red head contemplates it warily and, with an amused smile that gives Donghae hope, takes it and flips some pages. He gives the book back without sparing him a glance.

 

Thank you is circled on page 36.

 

Donghae’s heart flutters in joy and a silly grin spreads on his face. It fades as soon as he realizes he doesn’t know what to say next. After a few seconds of awkward fidgeting, long, slender fingers grasp the book out of his hands. Donghae’s breath hitches in his throat until the man gives the book back.

 

At the top of page 44, the title of the book is circled and a question mark lower, while on page 45 is the word ”really” – The Bane Chronicles? Are you serious? Donghae can almost hear the sarcasm of his words. Sure, it’s not the best book to make the moment romantic, but he enjoyed it so much that it’s the second time he reads it. And he regrets nothing.

 

Before replying, his mind wraps around the possibility of the handsome stranger to have read it too; maybe he read the whole series. If that were true, Donghae is already in love. He hastily flips the pages.

 

“Magnus”, “hot”, “and”, “fabulous”, “loved”, “it” – I love it! Magnus is hot and fabulous!

 

The guy scoffs at his reply and switches to the contents. He then opens the book past the page 149, where the chapter The Midnight Heir is.

 

“think”, “I”, “was”, “better”, “Will Herondale” – I like Will Herondale more.

 

This convinces Donghae that he read the whole Shadowhunter series for sure. He almost jumps in excitement, ready to keep the stranger forever by then. He flips to page 62: “?”, “all”, “read” – Did you read all the books?

 

The man takes the book again and turns a few pages, but halts when the next station is announced; his stop, Donghae guesses. The red head opens the book on the last chapter and hastily scribbles something on page 495. He hands the book back to Donghae just as the metro stops and gets up. He flashes Donghae a stunning smile and winks at him before going out.

 

Donghae looks down at the page in a daze. “I think we need to talk”, “Call me”. Under the first sentence is scribbled in neat writing about the books, of course, and under that Hyukjae; it ends with a phone number.

 

Donghae has never loved New York and Cassandra Clare more than in that moment.