Rule #7

Rules of Deduction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #7: Use your target's weakness to your favour

At a young age, Saera learned that it was better to feel nothing at all than to feel.

Emotions like guilt, disappointment, sadness, pride, anger and happiness didn't exist to her.

She just learned to survive.

Why?

No one ever taught her any better.

So two years ago, when she finally saved up money to buy a new pair of shoes, she didn't feel sad when Youngjae needed money for a school field trip.

She just grinned and told him not to get into any trouble.

It was easier to sacrifice herself than to ask people to sacrifice for her.

Mireu used to say that one day, all the responsibility, all the self-burden and all the suppressed emotion would come out in an explosion and that it was destroy Saera.

She said that it would break her. 

Unfortunately, Saera was already broken.

The façade of an eccentric psychic was the only thing that was remotely tethering her to the ground.

And even that was fake.

She was nothing but a fractured piece of bigger picture that she wanted to forget.

And she didn't want to be fixed.

Why?

It would just be easier.

"Are you serious?"

Saera knotted her fingers together as she stared at the ground, "I just need to cover this month's rent. I'll be able to pay you back right after and with interest too."

The woman crossed her arms and scoffed, "I haven't spoken to you since we were in highschool and you have the nerve to ask me for money?"

Kim Hae Jung.

She wasn't an enemy and she wasn't a friend.

She was just a girl that Saera went to school with before she dropped out.

A girl who ended up marrying filthy rich about 6 years later.

So when she started stopping by the bakery to buy coffee, Saera managed to muster up the courage and kill her own pride and ego to go up to her and ask her for money.

Her bank was starting to send her very angry letters and she couldn't exactly tell them that she was going to be getting reward money from the cops soon.

So she needed to bring up money for her bills fast.

"I know, I know it seems bad and I'm so sorry for having to ask you, but I promise I can pay you back. I'm good for it. It's just that business has been slow lately and money has been tight. I would never ask you to do this for me if I wasn't desperate." Saera said while twisting the fabric of her apron in her fingers.

"This is a waste of my time. It's the last time I'm ever coming here for coffee."

She stood up and slipped her sunglasses on before strutting out of the bakery. Saera's eyes widened in panic before she raced to catch up with her.

"P-Please. I promise I'll pay you back. I-I really need this. I will pay you back right away. I have money coming in, just not…now." She said while jogging behind the woman.

Hae Jung pulled her sunglasses off her face and cocked her hip as she turned to face her, "Honestly Saera, your begging is embarrassing, but if you need the money so badly, I guess I can help."

Saera's eyes widened with hope as Hae Jung reached in her bag and shuffled around.

However, that hope died quickly when Hae Jung pulled out a stack of bills and threw them in Saera's face.

The girl took a step back in surprise as the bills fluttered around her like confetti before falling to the ground.

"Wh--"

"I really don't remember you from school at all, Saera, but if you're going to beg your classmate for money, you might as well go full out and live like a beggar, right?"

Saera dug her nails into her palms and mustered up a smile, "Thank you. I'll pay y--"

"Don't bother paying me back. I can't, in good conscious,  expect a charity case to stay true to her word." And without pausing, Hae Jung tossed her hair over her shoulder and walked away.

Saera swallowed the lump in and watched as Hae Jung got into the back seat of an expensive car before driving away.

Her eyes scanned the area and saw people staring at her from inside stores and some employees were even standing outside of their shops, watching with a mix of sympathy and intrigue. 

Saera rubbed her nose before slowly getting on her knees. She avoided all eye contact and carefully began picking up every dropped bill, counting it in her head. She blew off the dirt and smoothed out the wrinkled bills before standing up.

She kept her head down and reached for the door, when another hand shot out to open it for her.

Her heart sunk and her palms began to sweat when she recognized a familiar black and gold beaded bracelet.

Mark.

.

"After you."

Saera took in a deep breath and held her head high without looking back at him, "Thanks."

Mark's eyes narrowed as she walked into the bakery. Was she really that thick skinned that she was going to pretend that, that just happened?

"I can't believe you're that desperate!" Mireu barked when she saw Saera.

Saera grit her teeth and tried to signal Mireu to stop, but the woman didn't catch the drift.

"I know you need to cover your rent but really? Begging Hae Jung? I thought you said you got a third job?"

Saera scratched her face and leaned over to pick up an envelope and shoved the money in it.

"Put this away." She mumbled before untying her apron.

Mireu's eyes flickered to Mark before she glared at him, "Are you making her work again?"

"Excuse me?" Mark balked while blinking incredulously.

Saera gave her a look, "Mireu, stop."

"I mean, I get you need her to work for you, but don't you think you're being a bit demanding."

"STOP!" Saera yelled, her fist trembling.

Mark shifted uncomfortably as Mireu gaped at her friend in surprise, "Sa--"

"I have to do this. I told you. So please, don't make this any harder." Saera mumbled before grabbing her bag and walking to the door.

But just as she was about to open the door, Youngjae came down the stairs with his school bag around his shoulders and his head hung low.

"Youngjae." Saera breathed out with wide eyes.

He had stayed in his room ever since he got in trouble and never left unless he needed to.

Not to mention he never spoke to her.

His eyes flickered to her and then to Mark before he pulled his headphones over his ears.

She reached a hand out towards him, but he dodged her walked out the door. Saera stood, frozen when he ignored her, feeling her heart sink and her whole body immobilize.

She didn't notice anyone else around her and just watched Youngjae walk past the window. She was shaking but the second her eyes landed on a grey hoodie, she grabbed it and pushed past Mark to run onto the sidewalk.

"Youngjae!" She yelled while running towards him.

Her brother kept walking, even though she knew he heard her.

When she got close enough, she grabbed his arm and turned him around. He met her eyes for a second before shaking her grip off. Saera gulped and ignored the pang in her chest before smiling slightly.

"Did you have breakfast? You should come inside and get something to eat. I can write you note for being late, if you want."

"No. I'm not hungry." He muttered while looking away.

Saera pull out some wrinkled bills from her pocket, "At least take some money to buy something at school."

"It's fine, I don't need it." He said quietly.

"W-well h-here, at least take a sweater." She said softly while holding out the grey fabric while tucking the bills into the sweater pocket.

Youngjae stared at the cloth before reluctantly giving it and pulling it out of her grip. He looked away but nodded in the direction of the bakery.

"Who is that guy?"

Saera blinked three times fast, before realizing he was talking about Mark, "He's a friend."

"A boyfriend?"

"Just a friend."

Youngjae nodded before his eye  flickered up to her worried ones, "I'm going to be late."

"O-Okay. Go on then." She watched him turn and chewed on her lip, "Love you!"

He continued to walk away, without looking back at her. He wasn't someone who normally returned those words, but in the past it was because he was embarrassed. He'd groan and swat her away whenever she tried to hug him.

But now it felt different.

It felt like he didn't say it because he didn't mean it.

Saera let out a breath and ly to jump in surprise when Mark stood behind her.

"Jesus, someone should tie a bell to your leg. Why are you so quiet?" She hissed.

Mark shrugged, "You're a psychic aren't you?"

Saera made a face before rolling her shoulders, "So where do we need to go?"

"To the precinct." He said while studying her face. He could see the redness in her eyes but her face was bright, as if everything was fine.

And based off of what he just witnessed, she was probably far from being fine.

"You shouldn't let your son talk to you like that."

Saera froze before a slow smile curled up her lips.

A real smile.

"He's my brother, but I'm like his mom."

Mark stared at her whimsical smile, "You still shouldn't let him act that way."

Saera watched his face thoughtfully. He had a small mark just above his lip and his face was slim and flawless although his eyes were dark and harsh.  She smiled that same entrancing, mysterious smile and walked forward.

"I think being a parent is like a game. There's always a winner and there's always a loser."

"Who loses?" Mark asked as he walked in step with her.

Saera didn't hesitate, "The parent. Always the parent."

"Why?" Mark asked curiously.

"Because parents always love more." She said simply.

Mark looked down at his feet as he mulled over her words, "Were your parents losers?"

"No." She said, suddenly serious, "They were the winners. We were the losers." 

-----

"What are you two doing?" Jackson asked with a snort as he walked towards Mark's desk.

Mark was leaning against his chair, using his right hand to tap on his keyboard, his eyes darting across the screen while his left hand was stretched out on Saera's knee.

The girl was bent over his arm with a washable marker in her fingers. She was scribbling furiously over his skin while he barely paid attention.

"She's having some mental breakdown." He mumbled while scrolling his mouse. "I think she's Rain Man-ing it."

Jackson stared at Saera whose face was serious as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. His eyebrows shot up when he saw Mark's fingers curl up into a fist.

"Dude, are you flexing?"

Saera tucked her lips into her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter