Rule #23

Rules of Deduction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #23: Be prepared to be wrong sometimes, you can't always be right

Mark had to hold Saera's arm back when they walked into the precinct. The second that she saw Youngjae, she had gasped and made an attempt to run at him with a hug, but Mark got to her fast.

"Word to the wise, a 16 year old kid probably doesn't want a precinct full of 'badass cops' seeing his sister smother him with hugs and kisses." He mumbled in her ear.

Saera blinked rapidly before clearing and stepping away. "You're right. Okay."

Mark watched in amusement as she curled and uncurled her fingers. Ever since she woke up this morning, she had been a nervous wreck.

She was so paranoid about seeing her brother for the first time in a week that she couldn't sit still. It never seized to amaze him how much love that Saera had for her brother.

It exceeded the love of a parent, it was so selfless and unconditional that it was something that he couldn't imagine a girl like Saera being capable of.

A girl with everything against her.

"Youngjae." Saera called out lightly.

The boy turned and blinked before he smiled at her and waved enthusiastically. Saera's hand faltered. Youngjae looked perfectly fine and happy. Compared to how completely shattered she looked, he looked so much happier.

And she was jealous.

She walked up to him and smiled, "It's been a while since I saw you, punk."

"I know, I've been so busy with school and hanging out with the guys, I didn't even realize how long it's been." He gushed.

"With the guys, huh? You all seem pretty close." She said while her eyes scanned her brother's face for any sign of distress.

But he just jumped happily, "Yeah everyone's really nice. They're really cool and they helped me deal with some…stuff."

Saera knew exactly what stuff he was talking about, "That's good."

"Hey, Youngjae! Come over here, I want to show you something." Mark called out.

Youngjae's eyes flickered to hers excitedly as he waited for her permission. She chuckled and nodded her head in Mark's direction, "Go on, it's your field trip."

She watched with a laugh as he raced off  towards Mark who slung his arm around his shoulder over the kid.

He's going to be okay, Mireu. He's got a good thing here. He'll be fine.

Saera took a seat on Mark chair and swung her feet back and forth as she looked around idly. She saw Jackson pass by and leaped out of her seat before running after him. She leaped in front of him, making him stumble back in surprise.

Her face immediately melted with gratefulness as she caught her breath, "Thank you so much for everything you've done. For me, for Youngjae."

A laid back smile worked up his face, "No problem. He's an awesome little dude. It doesn't even feel like he's 16. He had some hard times with Mireu but we talked it out and even Mark dropped by to help him through it personally."

"He did?" Saera asked in surprise.

Jackson nodded, "He'd stop by after Youngjae and BamBam would come back from school and have these 'closed door' talks with him. There was some crying, but by the end of it, he managed to deal with Mireu's death a lot better."

"Wow." She said dumbly, slightly awestruck.

Jackson nodded in agreement, "Yeah, he'd stop by his school during lunch and right after he gets off of work before rushing back to his place to you. I, on the other hand, was more of the mood maker. Not to mention, Mark was pretty clear on how I was supposed to act around Youngjae and when Mark wants something, it's better to go along with it."

Saera looked at him in confusion, "What do mean?"

"He was very clear when he told me to do my best to keep Youngjae busy. Take him outside, take him for a run, take him to the movies, blah, blah, blah. You know the drill. I think Mark didn't want Youngjae to be alone with his thoughts. He was pretty messed up when he found out about Mireu, but we had some talks, found out where his head was at and helped him through it, especially Mark." Jackson said while stretching his arms out.

Saera's eyes grew wide and turned to look for Mark. He was leaned over Youngjae's shoulder, showing him something on his computer screen. Something fuzzy expanded through her chest as she watched him say something to Youngjae that made him burst out in laughter.

Mark didn't once mention anything about going out of his way to look out for Youngjae's well being. She had no idea that he was stopping by, checking up on him and even investing time in having long talks.

He even went as far as to make sure that he was taken care even when he wasn't at Jackson's place.

Why would he do that for him…and her? She never asked him to.

She couldn't explain how thankful and guilty that made her feel.  

Jackson caught her look and chuckled, "I wanted to do him this favour because the guy never really asks for much and I could tell he really wanted me to help."

"Wait, why would he really want you to help?" She asked while turning to face him.

Jackson had a knowing smile, as if he was trying to hold in his laughter, and glanced at Mark.

"I'm not sure, but did you know that Mark never lets anyone stay at his apartment. Not me. Not any of his past girlfriends. No one. And yet he didn't even hesitate to let you live with him."

-----

Saera and Youngjae were seated in a private conference room after finally pulling him away from Mark.

Youngjae shifted in his seat, "How have you been?"

"It's been hard, but I've been working through it." Saera said awkwardly. She didn't like how distant they sounded to each other, they sounded like strangers.

Youngjae tapped his foot against the ground, "Is it because of Mark?"

Saera's eyes widened and her heart rate picked up for no reason, "I-uh, Mark's been helping a lot I guess. Things aren't easy but he…he helps. He makes it easier, I guess."

Youngjae looked off to the window where Mark was talking to an officer over a file, "I really like him Saera, even if he told me not to look up to him, he's still the coolest."

"And you don't like that me and him are close?" She asked apprehensively.

He slowly turned his gaze towards her and stared her down, "No. It's okay. I'm really glad you two are getting close. He's really smart and good at his job, if anyone can help, it's him. He seems to actually care about you."

"But what about you?" Saera asked softly while brushing his hair back.

He pushed her hands away before slouching down, "Jackson and BamBam are really nice. The two of them and Mark had long talks with me about what happened with Mireu. It was…it was pretty tough at first but they helped, especially Mark."

"I should've been there for you." Saera mumbled. "I should've dropped everything and stayed with you. I shouldn't have listened to Mark."

Youngjae frowned and stared at his lap as his teeth gritted together, "You lost Mireu. You lost your best friend. Your only friend. Why are you worried about me?"

Saera looked taken aback by the sudden aggression, "You must've been going through a lot all by yourself and I wanted you to be safe."

"No ." He grumbled.

Saera let her eyes fall on her lap, "I'm sorry about Mireu. It was all my fault."

"It's not your fault." He mumbled, "But why would you agree to help in the first place? Jackson said that you came into the precinct using your visions to help solve this case. Do you know how risky that is?"

Saera gulped warily, "There was a $25, 000 reward and when I keep helping him I get paid more each day."

Youngjae's face turned down in a frown, "You're doing this all for money?"

Saera looked away in embarrassment, "We need it."

"I can't believe you're lying to the police. When Jackson told me that you were helping on a murder investigation with your powers I almost thought he was joking." He balked.

Saera gave him a sheepish smile, "I know, I was pretty freaked out myself."

"You could go to jail for getting in the way of a police investigation, I asked Jackson. It's called impeding a police investigation. It's against the law." He hissed angrily.

Saera scoffed, "I'm actually helping. I've moved them so much closer to this case than they ever would've gotten on their own."

Youngjae glanced around before leaning close to her, "How did you even them so much useful information?"

She twisted her ring nervously before scooting her chair closer and glanced at the door before looking at him, "I saw it happen With my own eyes. The day that I went out looking for you, I witnessed it."

Youngjae's eyes widened and quickly scanned the room before rolling his chair closer to her, "Oh my god! Are you ing kidding me? Does the killer know that you know?"

Saera gnawed on her lip, "No, but I think he knows that I'm helping. That's why…"

"Mireu died." Youngjae muttered softly in realization.

Saera nodded, "That's why BamBam was going undercover with you. I don't want you to be in any danger because of me."  

"Do you think you know who The Collector is?" Youngjae asked secretively, glancing around every ten seconds.

Saera's face froze, her eye unblinking, as every feature darkened. Her eyes dimmed and hardened over, her lips was in a taunt line and her eye brows were pulled together. "No. No I don't."

"You don't even have a suspect? Or someone who makes you suspicious?" He pestered.

Saera closed her eyes before taking a breath, "It's way too early to tell. I don't have enough information. So let it go."

Youngjae's face fell as he slumped down in his chair.

She looked over at him and felt guilt-ridden before cupping his cheek, "Mark offered witness protection. Just say the word and I'll get him to set you up with the program."

"Wait, what about you?" Youngjae asked quietly.

She shook her head, "I can't go with you if you decide to. I need to stay with Mark and see if there's anything I can do to help

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter