Rule #4

Rules of Deduction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #4: Generalize people and generalize their habits. Stay away from the details

Mark let out a quiet sigh when he walked out into the parking lot with Saera walking next to him. He didn't even know where to start.

Where they just supposed to drive around until she remembers something? Did she know how big Seoul is?

"My car's here." Mark mumbled while pointing to a black car.

Saera kept her chin up and continued with her confident walk. Mark winced when he saw other cops gaping at him and Saera, mainly Saera.

Most of them were probably wondering why he was getting into a car with a woman who wasn't another cop and the rest were probably checking Saera out.

He rolled his eyes and unlocked his car before getting in. He wasn't going to hear the end of it when he got back.

Saera shoved her sunglasses to the top of her head before slipping into the passenger side. She wrinkled her nose when she caught the stale scent of tobacco clinging onto the leather as she surveyed the inside of his car.

At least the smell was relatively old, so it was likely that he didn't smoke that often, except for today, when his breath reeked with it.

"You probably won't ever get married if you keep smoking. Girls don't like guys who don't care about their health. You don't need a psychic to tell you that." She said while looking around.

It was relatively clean aside from some empty cans of energy drink in his cup holder. Aside from some loose change and a gym bag in the back, there wasn't anything else in the car.

Nothing dangling from the rear view mirror, no pictures, no knick knacks on the dash board, nothing.

Saera had to sell her car a few years ago for rent but even she had a few things that kept her car personalized.

Mark rolled his eyes, "Then I guess I won't get married."

Mark shoved his key into the ignition and was about to pull out of the parking lot when Saera spoke up from beside him.

"Put your seatbelt on."

He turned to her and blinked, stunned, "Excuse me?"

She kept her gaze forward and crossed her arms, "Put your belt on."

Mark opened his mouth but nothing came out. He took a breath before reaching back and pulling the seatbelt across his body.

Saera cringed inwardly when the words left . She was so used to babying Youngjae and hovering over him, protectively, that sometimes she'd act that way around other people.

"Can we go now?" He asked, annoyed.

Saera looked over at him and shot him a sweet smile, "Lead the way."

-----

"So…why did you become a police officer?" Saera asked as they circled around a random neighbourhood.

Saera spent the last hour and a half directing Mark to random parts of the city, pretending like her visions were acting up all while asking Mark questions about himself.

He was harder to analyze than most people.

He didn't wear his life on his sleeve.

He seemed to keep to himself and that made it hard to read him. He was like a brick wall.

And it didn't help that he usually deflected most of her questions.

"Are you sure this is the right way?" Mark asked while turning the corner.

Saera pretended to wince while touching her temple, "It feels weaker. This must not be the street."

Mark made a sound of annoyance before driving back into the main intersection of the street.

She couldn't risk leading him to the right part of the town right away, it would be too much of a coincidence if she got it right on the first try. She needed to play it up for a while first.

Mark narrowed his eyes, "Aren't you psychic? Shouldn't you have already known that?"

Saera her teeth at him, "I don't have visions on everything I come across. Only certain things trigger my visions."

"How convenient." Mark muttered.

Saera bit down her smile. It was pretty funny how pouty Mark got whenever he talked about her 'abilities.' It was like he wanted to hate her, but couldn't.

At least not until she flopped and she wasn't going to let that happen.

He looked at her, a little uncomfortably, "How…uh…how did your…powers happen?"

"Oh, that's one of my favourite stories." Saera said with a laugh. She had mapped out an origin story a really long time ago when she realized that all her clients would ask her about it.

"It was gradual." She started. "I would have these vivid images play in my head, almost like a movie but I would always chalk it up to just my imagination. Even my parents brushed it off, thinking that I just had an overactive imagination. I assumed I was a vivid dreamer but the older I got, the more I was willing to embrace my powers and use them to help people find closure in life."

Mark stayed silent for a second before snorting, "That sounds like total bull to me."

Saera stayed silent when he looked over at her. He sighed and re-gripped the steering wheel.

"How did your parents react when they found out about the 'truth' behind your vivid imagination?"

Saera's face darkened, making her look away, blocking her face from his view, "Our parents walked out on us."

"Us?" Mark asked, sounding barely interested in the conversation.

"Me and my little brother."

Mark raised a brow, "Does he have special abilities too?"

"Funny." Saera deadpanned.

Mark leaned back on his seat, "You have to see it from my point of view. My career is based on hard core, logical evidence, not stuff like this. This is all circumstantial. Even if your visions, or whatever, are real, it'll all be useless unless we have actual evidence to back it up."

"Well hopefully I can convince you at the actually scene from my vision." She said while twisting her jade ring.

"If we ever get there." He mumbled.

She crossed her legs before deciding to cut him a break. She gasped dramatically and grabbed her head with a groan.

Mark looked at her with half assed concern, "Are you okay?"

"I-I see it. Saehwang Road. I can see a street sigh, barely visible under a street lamp. That's where it happened." Her eyes shot open with a scream when the car swerved with force.

She snapped her head at Mark whose eyes narrowed darkly with a locked jaw as he cut a U-turn.

"What the hell?! Are you insane?" She snapped while grabbing onto the door.

Mark's shoulders tensed as he pressed his foot down on the acceleration.

"We need to get there. Fast."  

-----

Saera slid her sunglasses back over her eyes before throwing her scarf in the back of Mark's car. As much as she loved the look, it was hot enough being dressed in all black and the extra material didn't help the situation either.

She stepped out of the car and stretched her arms over her head, loosening her muscles. Mark was quick to look away when her shirt rode up, exposing a strip of bare skin.

Saera walked towards where the van from the day before was parked when Mark noticed something.

"Wait…there's no streetlamp over the street sign."

Saera froze midstep before turning and following his gaze. His head was tilted back while looking up at the Saehwang street sign.

And he was right.

There was no streetlamp.

.

"How did you read this in your vision if there was no lamp? It would've been too dark to see." Mark said as he looked over to her.

Her palms started sweating and she was glad that she had her sunglasses on because he wouldn't be able to see how her eyes were darting around for an answer.

"My, uh, visions are sometimes like dreams. There might be some minor inconsistencies here and there, but I hardly think a streetlamp is the most important thing right now. Not when a girl died here."

Mark narrowed his eyes at her before walking towards the alleyway. "Does this place look like your vision?"

Saera took a deep breath of the air, hoping it would quell the nausea in her stomach. She could almost see the man, choking Min Ah to death before chopping her up.

She could almost smell the blood.

"This is it…for sure."

Mark nodded and scanned the area while Saera walked over to the side of the road where the man's van was parked.

She could envision the license plate in her head.

25  7245

She looked at the gravel on the road as she walked along the sidewalk when she noticed something. She stopped walking and squinted her eyes before crouching down.

She pulled her sunglasses off before leaning her face closer to the cement. Her eyes widened and she stumbled back, scratching her palm on the gravel.

"M-Mark!"

The detective walked out from the alley way with creased brows, "What is it? Did you get another 'vision'. " He asked sarcastically.

Saera felt her fingers tremble as she pointed to the road. When she didn't speak, Mark walked up to her.

"Hey, psychic, what's wrong?"

She took a step back, bumping into his chest.

"B-Blood."

-----

In 10  minutes, the small alleyway was littered with detectives, forensic analysts and yellow tape.

Before any of them had made it, Mark as sat Saera down on the side of the road and made her repeat her vision down to the smallest detail.

He focused most of his questions about the physical description of the man and the van and Saera gave him everything he needed.

Except the licence plate number.

She was a little nervous after realizing how serious this case was going. She was withholding a lot of evidence as of now.

But if she could squeeze the precinct out of a few more grand for her other 'visions,' she would be golden.

Now she was leaned against his car, watching as everyone worked with efficiency. Even Jackson came down with some case files.

The pair, that she figured were best friends even outside the precinct, were engaged in a serious conversation filled with hushed words and stiff nods.

Saera puffed out her cheeks until the two men walked up to her.

"Believe me now?" She said with a quirked brow.

Jackson glanced at Mark with a hidden smile as the other man rolled his eyes.

"We're sending the blood to the labs for testing. Since we already have her body, it'll be easy for us to match the blood."

Saera's eyes widened, "You already found the body?"

"It was mailed to us this morning." Mark said casually while flipping through the files without a glance in her direction.

She felt her stomach twist. That man sent that box to the police department? Did he want to get caught?

Mark leaned close to her and slapped the file down on the hood of the car. "Now that you're done here, I can drive you back to your house if you want."

Saera stared at Mark, bewildered and stood up straight, "What do you mean I'm done here?"

He blinked at her as if the answer was obvious, "You brought us to the crime scene. If that blood ends up really being Min Ah's, then you've done your part. Thanks for your help, I guess."

Jackson shook his head. His friend at being grateful. He nodded at Saera, "If you want we can treat you to lunch or something."

Saera frowned, "You're just done with me?"

"What else could we want from you?" Mark asked while crossing his arms, looking at her clearly bored.

Saera laughed in disbelief, "I just proved to you that I'm a real psychic and that my visions are real and you're just going to send me away?"

Jackson looked a little confused, "Ms.Choi, you already gave us your tip. If this follows through you'll get your money. I'm actually not sure what else you're looking for."

"Don't you see? If my one vision is correct about this case then can you imagine what else I might have a vision of? I might see something else about the case. I might have a vision with more incriminating evidence!" She exclaimed.

Mark didn't look swayed, "The key word you used is 'might.' We're not going to let you come along with just for the off chance that you might be useful."

Saera didn't know what to say, she did have more information but she wasn't about to give it away for free.

"I swear to you, I will have more visions about this. I will continue to have these visions until this case is solved. It's called a having a guilt ridden psyche." She said while poking Mark in his chest with her finger.

Jackson looked amused at how annoyed Mark looked it wasn't everyday that someone got him riled up, "Ms. Choi, this is a pretty dangerous case. Why would you want to implicate yourself even more?"

"I can't just go to sleep knowing that I will have visions about this case and that there's a man out there actually killing these women. I won't just sit still while I keep having visions that could but this sicko away for good." Saera blurted out.

And, if I can get you to hire

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter