Rule #9

Rules of Deduction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #9: Do not let personal biases cloud your judgment

The breakfast rush was just thinning out when Mark came barrelling into the bakery, almost leaping over the counter.

Saera froze like a deer in headlights with a cupcake held up to .

"Oh thank ing god." Mark breathed out as he collapsed on the ground, while gripping the counter top. He closed his eyes and leaned his head forward while panting.

Saera snapped out of her surprise and set her cupcake down before peeking over the counter, at Mark.

"I don't want to be rude, but I just wiped the showcase down and you're smudging it." She quipped.

Mark lifted his head and glared at her just as Jackson came jogging in after him, "Where is she?" He asked frantically.

Mark groaned and pointed at Saera before standing up, "She's fine."

"What is going on?" She asked incredulously.

Mark completely ignored her and turned to Jackson, "We should've known that it was an empty threat because she isn't a e."

"Gee, thanks." Saera snorted as she wiped her hands on her apron, "What's this about, anyways?"

Mark frowned, sweat dripping off the side of his face as he placed his hands on his hips, "We thought The Collector got to you."

Saera froze, "Why on earth would you think that?"

"We…we got a threat." Jackson said carefully.

"A threat? From him?" She asked fearfully.

Mark let out a breath, "But you don't fit his usual targets, so I'm guessing he just wanted to scare us into thinking that he had some sort of upper hand."

He looked over at her and stopped speaking when he saw the vacant look in her eye as her hand started to tremble. "H-He knows who I am?"

Jackson and Mark exchanged nervous looks. Jackson walked to the front door and locked it before turning the open sign off.

He didn't hesitate to walk around the counter in search for a cold bottle of water.

"He must've been following me and when he saw you hanging around me, he must've tried using you to mess with me, thinking I'd back down from the case." Mark said cautiously.

Saera crouched to the ground and covered her face. It was fine before, she was just an artist behind the scenes, playing with smoke and mirrors.

But this was a whole different thing.

This was something that she didn't sign up for.

She didn't want to sound rude, but Min Ah was no one to her. She was a stranger.

That's why it was so easy to stay detached.

But this was different.

This was her.

This w as Youngjae.

This was dangerous.  

"I-I can't do this. I didn't want this to happen." Her voice cracked as she shivered.

Mark stood stunned by her sudden vulnerability, before crouching down in front of her,

Mark reached out and grabbed her hand, causing Jackson's eyebrows to shoot up and disappear into his hairline.

"Hey, hey, it's fine, okay? We're going to keep you safe. You'll be fine." He muttered softly while squeezing her hand.

Saera looked at his hand before pulling hers out of his grasp and wiped her face even though tears hadn't fallen. She slowly stood up, amazed at the fact that her knees didn't buckle.

"I want to be taken off this case. You can keep the money. You can keep everything. I don't want to be involved." Her voice was thick with resolve.

Mark sighed and looked at her apprehensively, "I don't think that'll change anything. He already knows who you are."

"Oh god." Saera whispered before leaning her head back.

"What Mark is trying to say is that once we make sure that you're safe, we'll take you off the case, if that's what you want." Jackson chipped in.  

Saera stayed silent, gathering her thoughts, allowing Mark to jump into the conversation.

"Do you have any CCTV's?"

Her eyes flickered to him before she nodded at the device hanging from the middle of the ceiling. "Yeah, but they broke last week and with the case and everything, I haven't gotten a chance to get it fixed."

"And nothing strange happened today at work?"

Saera's eyebrows creased before she shook her head, "Nothing stood out."

"The Collector is too detailed. He wouldn't break a 10 year pattern just to get at someone that he sees you with." Jackson stated.

"I still think you need a security detail." Mark said firmly.

Jackson winced, "Um…actually I don't think we can do that. I mean, it's probably the best option for your safety, but the precinct can't afford to give her, her own private detail. The award money and her services fees are taking a huge chunk out of  our budget."

"Then we'll get one of our own officers to do it." Mark retorted in annoyance.

"We can't. Everyone's backlogged as it is, we have no more bodies to spare." Jackson's face looked like everything said was bringing him pain from having to bring the bad news.

He hated playing the devil's advocate with Mark.  

"Then…then I'll do it." Mark said hastily.  

This was why.

If all else failed, he'd just do it himself.

That was the Tuan motto.

Saera gaped at him, "You're going to be my security detail?"

"Well someone has to be."

"No one has to be." She retorted, "I can take care of myself."

Jackson looked wary before pulling Mark aside, "Are you sure, Mark? There needs to be another way than you doing it yourself. That's a lot of responsibility."

"This is my case. I have to take responsibility for it." He leaned close to Jackson, "If something happens to her or her brother because we brought them into this case, I'm not going to forgive myself."

Jackson looked shocked, "Du--"

"They're innocent." Mark said firmly.

He turned to Saera who was neglected from the conversation, "Anyone, and I mean anyone who seems strange, you have to tell me, okay?"

Saera nodded but felt like everything was playing on a delay.

Jackson shook his head, but he knew that his friend wasn't going to take the risk of leaving a key 'witness' unprotected. "I'll help you with whatever you need."

"What about the bakery?" Saera asked while jerking her head up, "You won't be able to watch me when I have shifts here, you still have your own job."

Mark took a deep breath as he looked around, "I'll fix my shifts but we'll add more security cameras out front, facing the entrance and out back near the garbage disposal."

"And how are you going to keep an eye on her at all times?" Jackson asked as he leaned against the counter.

Mark looked around the store before staring at the ceiling, "I'll move in. I'll go home during my lunch break and grab some things but after that, we're going to be glued by the waist. Wherever you go, I go."

"You're not moving into my place." Saera said quickly with a frown.

Mark rolled his eyes, "Obviously. Is there another unit up there?"

Saera's eyebrows knit together, "No, but there's a small storage room that's been empty fo--"

"Perfect. I'll bring my stuff in tonight." Mark said while pulling out his keys.

"Are you joking?" Saera said with a laugh, "You want to move into the ty storage space? I haven't been inside there in years. There's barely enough room for a bed in there."

"It'll have to do."

Saera shook her head, "There are no utilities, no heat and no windows, it's not exactly a place most people want to live."

"I'm not exactly looking for a new place to live, either." Mark snapped, "But you need to be under surveillance and if the only person who can do it is me, then I need to close enough to you in case something happens."

"I hardly think moving into a storage room will ward off a sociopathic killer." She said sarcastically, hoping the fear wasn't evident.

"You know, if The Collector is coming after you, or at least is threatening you, that means your brother is equally as endangered." Mark's eyes narrowed on her, "I think you should take the extra help when you can get it."

Saera tilted her head and met Mark's eyes, the two of them engaging in a heated staring contest. Jackson looked at the pair back and forth a few times before awkwardly stepped back.

Mark's slowly raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to back down but she stayed persistent, not flinching while returning her own sharp glare.

"I'll give you a key to my place." She mumbled reluctantly without breaking her gaze, "You can use our bathroom, shower and utilities whenever you need."

"Thanks." Mark muttered while staring her down.

Jackson looked afraid as he tried to read their eyes.

"Arrreee you guys good or…I can't tell if you're fighting or not."

-----

"Hey, are you okay?" Mireu asked as she came in for her shift later in the afternoon.

Saera jumped, snapping out of her daze before shaking her head, "No, I'm fine. Sorry, just a little tired."

"Have you not been sleeping?" Mireu's face melted into concern as she set down her things.

Saera shot her small smile, "I'm fine. Seriously. Now get your in gear."

Mireu made a face tied her apron on before slipping into the back kitchen.

Saera bit on her lip before walking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter