Rule #3

Rules of Deduction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rule #3: Be vague enough so that the target draws their own conclusions

Saera was glad she chose to wear black because she was sweating bullets.

The detective, whose name she learned was Mark Tuan, had eyes that just screamed 'I don't believe you, you scumbag,' even before she said anything.

She had actually stood in front of the precinct doors for a good 5 minutes trying to gather the courage before finally coming inside and as she stood in front of the cop, she could feel her nerves returning.

What if this didn't work out?

Mark ran his fingers through his ashy blonde hair while he waited for his computer to boot up. He glanced at the woman from the side of his eyes and inspected her as the login screen flashed.

Without her glasses on the woman, who had yet to give him a name, had sharp eyes that darted around the room, as if she was trying to absorb everything.

Mark sighed and tapped on his computer before looking her in the eye, "Okay, so can you tell me what happened?"

Saera placed one hand on her temples and sighed with grimace, "It's hazy and it comes and goes but I see a beautiful girl."

Mark blinked at her, baffled at the way she was describing the crime, "Are you supposed to be  the girl?"

"No, I see someone else. Walking along a side walk." Saera mumbled while closing her eyes.

Mark looked bewildered while glancing around the room, "I'm sorry, what?"

"I can see it." Saera ignored him and continued talking, "I see her and she's scared. For her life."

Suddenly Mark face filled with understanding. It all made sense now. This woman wasn't here to report a crime, she was here to spout some none sense bull and waste his time.

"Ma'am, how exactly did you see this 'crime'?" Mark asked as he set the pen down.

Saera opened her eyes and almost flinched. The detective didn't look as interested anymore. He barely looked like he even cared.

It was like he was waiting for her to leave.

"I saw it."

Mark raised his brow, "With your eyes?"

"No." Saera said with a locked jaw, "I saw it in my head."

Mark nodded with what looked like amusement and sat up, "So, like in a…vision?" 

"Yes." She said indignantly digging her nails into her palms, "I am a psychic and I had a vision about the gi--"

"So you want to report a crime that you saw in your head?" Mark asked while lacing his fingers together.

Saera smacked her lips, "Yes, now if you would be so kind as to actually write down my statement…"

"So you had a psychic vision of a crime and you don't even know if it actually happened or not?"

She felt her eye twitch at his condescending tone, "No, I know the crime happened. I just need you to hear me out."

"I have a question, though."

Saera sighed in agitation, "What?"

"So is this like that American show That's So Raven? Do you just stare blankly into space while these so called 'visions' happen?"

Saera scoffed. If she was a real psychic, she might've found that offensive, "No, that's not what happens." She tilted her head, "You're don't believe in people like me, do you?"

Mark gave her an incredulous look, "People of the sixth sense? Uh, yeah. I don't. That sort of stuff doesn't exist."

"What a shame. You have such a beautiful mind." Saera said with a tsk. "You could do amazing things with it if you believed."

Mark looked unimpressed, "Right, so about this 'crime' of yours."

Saera sat up, "Yes. Okay. So in my visi--"

"You understand that we can't actually take leads based off of visions, right? If you give us your statement, we won't be able to do anything about it unless we have actual evidence." Mark raised his brow and he glanced at his wrist watch.

If only he could let her get one word in, she could show him how helpful her evidence actually was.

Saera pulled the shawl off her head, letting her locks tumble out in all their pink and black glory, "Look, I know this is a bit unconventional, but I am a highly regarded psychic, my visions have never been wrong. Not once."

Mark stared at her for a long time, as if he was trying to figure something out.  "Now by highly regarded do you mean you just tell middle aged women that their husbands are cheating on them?"

Saera's eyes widened and her face flushed in embarrassment before she straightened her back, "Nevertheless, if you at least hear me out, then maybe you can decide for yourself."

Mark rubbed his face before looking over Saera's shoulder, "Hey Jackson?"

His partner shot him an annoyed look before pointing at the phone wedged between his ear and his shoulder.

"Come here." Mark called.

Jackson glared at him and stuck out his middle finger before Mark just stood up and walked over to his partner's desk.

He took the phone from him and held it up to his ear, "Hello, Jackson needs to step away from the phone for a second, but I will transfer you to another one of our officers."

Mark pressed a button before putting the phone back into its holder.

"What the hell, man?" Jackson snapped.

Mark pointing his thumb over his shoulder in the direction of Saera, "Some woman wants to give her statement about some crime."

Jackson perked up, "Is it related to Min Ah?"

"I doubt it.  She seems…kinda in her own world." Mark said.

Jackson made a face, "What the hell does that mean?"

"Just go talk to her, you'll know exactly what I mean."

Jackson gave his friend a weird look before standing up, "Why can't you do this, again?"

"Trust me, you need to take her. I just can't deal."

Jackson frowned before walking up to Saera. He touched her shoulder, making her turn around and face him. Jackson blinked at her, a little surprised to see her sunglasses and pink hair.

He looked over at Mark who was standing behind him before clearing his throat, "Hi, I'm Officer Wang, and I'll be taking the rest of your statement."

Saera ignored his outstretched hand and lifted her bag, "At least someone will take me seriously."

She shot Mark a dirty look, making Jackson in his cheeks in awkwardness, "Right, um, if you come this way, we can get started."

Mark watched the pair walk away, his eyes linger a little too long on Saera's back until Jackson turned his head.

Mark's eyes darted to his friend who subtly pointed at Saera before he mouthed the words, What the ?

Mark shrugged before he dropped down to his seat. He reached into pocket and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. He stared at the little cardboard box before tossing it aside.

He had been trying to kick the habit for the last six months but he could never stop himself from buying a box.

Mark clicked his tongue when he noticed something sticking out of a picture of him and his parents. He pulled it out and stared at it.

"For 's sake." It was a paper charm, that shaman's usually burn during rituals. That woman needed to stay away from him. Mark made a face and crumpled the charm before tossing it in his garbage can.

And he used to think that he had already seen everything in this job, but he kept finding new ways to surprise himself.

First a deranged serial killer and now a psychic? What's next? A telepath?

"U-Um…M-Mark?"

The detective looked up to see Jackson standing in front of him with wide eyes and pale skin, he looked like his he saw a ghost.

"Look, I know your mad, but honestly? A psychic? I thought you might get a kick out of that." Mark snorted.

Mark's face fell when Jackson's hands started to shake, "Dude, what's wrong?"

Jackson gulped down the lump in his throat, "You need to come with me."

"I'm busy. Is she really giving you that much trouble?" Mark said with a groan as he flipped open his file.

Jackson shook his head, "I'm serious, you need to come see this. This chick is serious."

"What are you talking about?" Mark's attention stayed on the file in front of him.

Jackson grabbed the file from Mark and held it over his head, "I'm being serious, you need to come with me."

Mark blew out air from his mouth before standing up, "This better be worth it."

"Trust me. It is."

-----

Saera tapped her fingernails against the metal table she was sitting at while she waited. The cop that took her statement had excused himself about 10 minutes ago and had yet to come back.

Safe to say she was freaking out.

Something was wrong.

The second she had told him was she 'saw', he had taken her into an interrogation room and made her repeat herself almost 10 times.

She was pretty sure that reporting a crime didn't have to happen inside the integration room.

This didn't feel right.

She jumped when the door opened and the detective, Jackson, stuck his head in. "H-Hey. Sorry about that."

Saera was about to wave it off when he opened the door further. Her eyes immediately narrowed when Mark walked into the room.

He was good looking, she had to admit. Even under the harsh fluorescent lighting, his eyes were dark and his hair was more of an buttery blonde, but something ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter