Snowfall

Star Children

Short chapter because I have a test soon)))))))))))))))))))))))):

In the end, it was decided that they sleep in the children’s room together. Gary insisted that he wouldn’t be awkward, and Jihyo was too tired to argue, so that was how it is.

Jiyoung woke up first, delighted to see his parents by his side. He missed them both, but especially Jihyo. Gary was often away but Jihyo was always by his side. He moved towards Jihyo and snuggled against her. He didn’t wake her, instinctively knowing that she’s tired. But still, she stirred awake.

She ran her hands against his hair. “Youngie…” she murmured. “Are you hungry?”

He tilted his head towards her but he just smiled his toothy grin, lazy to answer. Jihyo knew the answer anyway- he wasn’t a big eater in the morning. Jihyo smiled back, ruffling his hair. She knew she should prepare breakfast soon. Ji-ohn would wake up soon. And she’s always looking for food in the morning. But she just laid there, wanting to enjoy the time, just 4 of them peacefully together. It had been a while, since they spent time like that, she realised. The thought stirred some feelings within her, and she felt heavy again. She glanced over to Gary, who was still sleeping. He looked normal; he looked like how he did... But he wasn’t the same, as Ji-ohn so accurately pointed out. But remembering what he said last night… it lifted her spirits a bit. He would remember and love this family again; she just had to wait.

Ji-ohn soon woke up. She was sleeping beside Gary, making her further away from Jihyo, But still, she knew her mother was around. She sat up, looking lost, and a little grumpy in the morning. Jihyo smiled, still amazed at how much she looked like her. Gary always said that Ji-ohn was a lot like Jihyo- they even wake up the same way. Jihyo reached out her hand for her, so she could come over. Jiyoung squirmed out of the way, ending up beside Gary.

Jihyo was now sitting cross-legged. Ji-ohn sat on Jihyo’s legs, her face against her chest. “Hmmm?” she mumbled.

Not knowing what she said, Jihyo ignored her and just brushed her hair instead. After some time, Ji-ohn finally lifted her face off Jihyo’s chest and asked again, “Why did you sleep with us?”

Jihyo sighed, poking her daughter’s forehead. Why do you always have to ask questions that are so hard to answer?

“Because we missed you,” Jihyo answered instead, pulling her daughter in. She pulled away again, “I’m hungry,” she whined.

Jihyo laughed. “Why are you playing hard to get today?” Ji-ohn scrunched up her face and stuck out her tongue, like how Jihyo does, even though she never saw Jihyo done it before. Jihyo smiled again. Sometimes, it’s really in the genes.

“Arrasso, I will go and make breakfast,” she said, leaving the children alone with their dad.

Now that they are more awake, they became more playful. Jiyoung climbed up Gary’s torso and pressed his face against his, waking Gary up. For a moment, he was shocked, suddenly having Jiyoung so close to him. But he remembered- they were his children. But it still felt surreal. Looking at Jiyoung so close-up like this, he realised how alike they looked. He reached out tentatively, brushing his cheeks.

“Wae, appa?” Jiyoung asked, confused.

Gary just smiled, so the boy smiled back, mirroring him. Without warning, their father and son moment was disrupted by Ji-ohn suddenly jumping onto Gary, so she sat in front of Jiyoung. “Ahh…” Gary groaned, but the girl just laughed, flashing her classic cheeky smile inherited from Jihyo.

“Don’t do that,” Jiyoung exclaimed, pushing Ji-ohn away. “It hurts.”

“Appa, does this hurt?” she asked.

“A little, Ji-ohn ah… Don’t jump on me so hard,” he said. Meanwhile, Jiyoung climbed down. Gary reached out to him, a little touched that he thought of him.

“Gomawo, Jiyoung ah, you are so nice,” he praised, ruffling his hair. “You must have learnt from your mom,” he mumbled to himself, but Jiyoung heard it.

“I learnt from you, too,” he said, in all seriousness. Gary blinked, a little stunned by his response. He must have been a great father, even if he couldn’t remember it. By the time he recovered, Jiyoung was already distracted, moving away to the shelves. Gary looked at the back of the child- his child- suddenly feeling overwhelmed by emotions. He had such a perfect family, but he couldn’t remember any of it.

He turned his attention back to Ji-ohn, who was surprisingly sitting quietly in his torso. She looked as if she was in shock, so Gary asked if she was alright, thinking that she was feeling left out.

She looked down, guilt spreading across her face. “Why? Why!” Gary asked, panic in this voice. Ji-ohn’s emotions were hard to grapple. Girls…

“I hurt you,” she said softly and guiltily. “I forgot that you are not well.”

Gary opened his mouth, unable to speak for a moment. After a while, he sat up, pulling Ji-ohn close.

“Aniya… it’s not that pain… I’m injured in a different way…” he said.

“What way?”

Gary scratched his head. “Uh…”

“Do I ask questions that are hard to answer?” she asked.

Gary laughed. “So you know!”

Ji-ohn shrugged.

“Let’s go wash up,” Gary said, carrying her to the toilet. He held his hand out to Jiyoung, who tagged along. This was familiar, yet strange to him, but he kept his thoughts to himself.

“Let’s see who’ll brush their teeth the quickest!” he suggested. The kids were excited to play, and enthusiastically agreed. Ji-ohn was the fastest- she brushed for a couple of times and dashed out already.

“Yah!” Gary yelled, with his toothbrush in his mouth. “That’s not even brushing!” he said, wanting to pull her back, but couldn’t because his mouth was dripping with toothpaste.

From the kitchen, Jihyo saw Ji-ohn gleefully running out of their toilet, with some toothpaste on her face.

“Yahhhhh…..” she laughed. “What are you doing!?” she said, brushing off her hands then going out to pick her up.

“I won!” she said proudly.

“Wow… good job,” Jihyo praised, not knowing what was going on. Gary came out soon after, his shirt wet.

“What did you do inside?!” Jihyo asked, surprised.

“I was in a hurry,” he replied. Turning to Ji-ohn, he poked her cheeks, “You cheated!” he accused laughingly.

Ji-ohn just giggled, still happy that she ‘won’. Gary reached over to carry her, and Ji-ohn slipped onto his arms naturally.

“We’re going to make sure you brush your teeth properly!” he said, tickling her sides so she giggled in enjoyment. Jihyo watched as the two of them re-entering the bed room, a smile creeping up her face. Even when he had forgotten them, he was still a great father.

They came out soon after, Gary having changed into a dry shirt. They had their oatmeal at the dining table. Suddenly, Jihyo exclaimed, looking out of the window.

“It’s the first snowfall!” she said excitedly. “Can you see it?” she turned to Jiyoung. He shook his head, because the flakes were really small.

“Let’s hurry, so we can go down and see!” Jihyo suggested. Gary watched her being so excited over a simple snowfall. His heart fluttered at her excitement. Maybe it won’t be hard to fall in love with her over again.

They made their way down with their cold wear and boots, Jihyo the most excited of them all. Gary was carrying Ji-ohn and Jihyo held onto Jiyoung, while Jiyoung held onto Daeyang.

The snowflakes fell onto their faces, instantly melting. “It’s cold,” Ji-ohn commented in Gary arms.

“It’s snow,” Gary taught her. “It’s white and cold,” he instinctively said, like how he did so in the past. Jiyoung put out his hands, trying to catch the falling flakes. Jihyo was stood there, admiring the snow.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” she asked, turning to Gary.

Looking at her shining eyes and her radiant smile, he said, “you’re more beautiful.”

 

 

 

wish me luck for my test please! Hoooohooooooo 

And does anyone remember a similar chapter in the stars (;