Back

Star Children

After another couple of days at the hospital, Gary was finally discharged. Jihyo hardly talked to him, and it hurt, even though it was him who forgot her. He didn’t know why, but her hostility made him uncomfortable. It was mainly Haha who talked, but he usually just asks if he was feeling okay. Gary wanted him to talk about his life, but how could he, when he snapped at him not to?

Haha sat beside Gary on the train, while Jihyo sat alone. She was dazed most of the time. Gary couldn’t tell what she was feeling. He could feel her gaze on him, though, but every time he turned to look, she looked away.

Finally, they had their alone time when Byul came to the airport to fetch Haha. She offered to fetch the couple, but Jihyo refused to bother them any further. Haha called a cab for them.

“Later… when you reach home, can you pretend that you remember the kids?” she asked Gary, but she looked at the window as she spoke.

“Hm…”

“I told my family about your condition,” she said. “But not the kids. I… I didn’t know how to tell them.”

“Right… I could do that. Dong Hoon ssi said their names were Jiyoung… and… Ji…?”

It stung that Gary still referred to Haha as Dong Hoon ssi, but what really tore her heart was him forgetting their children’s names. The names they had picked together.

She paused. “Ji-ohn.”

Gary nodded. “It’s interesting,” he said. “All of your names have ‘Ji’ in it.”

Jihyo turned to look at him this time, her eyes welling with tears. “You were the one who suggested it,” she said, her voice cracking. “You wanted them to have part of my name too, since they were carrying your surname.”

Gary noticed the tears with a heavy heart. “I’m sorry,” he mumbled.

Jihyo looked away again. “Jiyoung’s the boy. He’s the older one. Ji-ohn’s the girl.”

She paused again. “She’s blind.”

“Hmm?” Gary responded, slightly shocked.

Jihyo didn’t reply to that anymore. The rest of the ride remained silent, until they reached their house. The twins were already inside- she asked her brother to bring them there. She didn’t want her parents to overwhelm Gary, and more importantly, she didn’t want them to overwhelm her. She didn’t want to imagine how her parents will fuss over her… she was afraid she would break down there and then.

 

 

“We’re home,” Jihyo announced, trying to sound as cheerful as she can. The twins haven’t seen her for two weeks. She knew it was hard on them. They were so young… She couldn’t fathom how they felt- being separated from both their parents for so long. They have never been away from her for such a long period before. Gary, there had been once or twice, when he had showcases overseas, but not her. She was always by their side. She knew they must have missed her, as much as she missed them.

“Eomma!!!!” Jiyoung squealed, sprinting to the door to greet her. Jihyo picked him up and he immediately plastered her face with kisses. Daeyang too, sprinted up to the couple, but mostly more excited to see Gary. It wriggled in between Gary’s legs, rubbing its fur against him. Gary reached down to pet him instinctively. Ji-ohn lacked behind, but eventually went up to her as well. She put Jiyoung down, then carried Ji-ohn too.

“Appa!!!!!!” Jiyoung greeted excitedly, raising his arms to be carried. Gary was stunned for a moment. Jihyo watched on nervously. But eventually, he picked him up.

“Eo, Jiyoung ah…” Gary greeted awkwardly. Jihyo heaved a sigh of relief. She passed Ji-ohn to him, which he carried with the other hand.

“Ji-ohn ahh…” he greeted as well, trying to sound as excited as Jihyo.

“Appa, are you very hurt?” Jiyoung asked.

Gary smiled. “No, I’m okay” he assured the boy.

“Come, let appa rest,” Jihyo said, carrying the kids down from Gary arms.

Then, suddenly, Ji-ohn starting crying, as if realising something.

It got Gary flustered, who handed her quickly to Jihyo. Jihyo's brother came over to see find out what happened. They didn’t exchange words, but he nodded at Gary, who nodded back.

“What’s wrong, what’s wrong?” Jihyo fussed over her, rubbing her back. She just kept crying, not answering her.

“She wants appa,” Jiyoung said, tugging Gary towards Jihyo and Ji-ohn. Gary glanced at Jihyo, who nodded at him pleadingly.

“Hey, hey, it’s okay, I’m here,” he said, carrying her over from Jihyo. Ji-ohn shook her head wildly.

“No, no,” she said, reaching out for Jihyo. Gary looked at Jiyoung, who looked back innocently. Jihyo took Ji-ohn from Gary, continuing to hush her.

“You’re not appa,” she finally said, in between sobs. “Appa doesn’t talk like this,” she cried. The three adults looked at each other in shock. They couldn’t reply her. It was Jiyoung who spoke.

“It’s appa ya… can’t you see?”

“No, no,” she insisted, “Appa doesn’t speak like this,” she repeated. “When appa comes home he calls speaks like this: Ji-ohn ahhh~~” she elaborated, dragging the last syllable. “And then he would kiss me and tickle me and laugh and smile. Not like this…”

Jihyo looked at her in a mixture of shock and awe. Who knew Ji-ohn could observe so much, even when she couldn’t see? But still, she couldn’t bring herself to reply that Gary had forgotten them.

Finally, it was Gary who spoke.

He carried Ji-ohn up and said, “Ji-ohn ahhh…” like how she described.

“I’m sorry that didn’t greet you properly,” he said. “But appa have not fully recovered… so I’m like this. But I’m still your appa, okay? You didn’t forget me just because you didn’t see me for a few weeks, did you?” he said, exaggerating his tone.

Ji-ohn shook her head.

“That’s a relief,” Gary said. “But even though I’m still not well yet, I’m still your appa, okay?”

She nodded again.

“So you’ll love me the same?” she asked.

“No,” Gary said. “I love you a lot a lot more,” he exclaimed, then ing her up in the air. Ji-ohn laughed, kissing Gary on the lips. Gary laughed too. He turned to glance at Jihyo.

And for the first time in a while, Jihyo smiled in relief.