Decision

Star Children

Jihyo returns to an empty home after the meeting with the rest. Kwang Soo insisted on sending her to her parent’s but she wanted some time alone.

Please be okay, she sent out, to no one in particular. There was no reply from Gary, and it stung. She checked the news again, but there was no news of Gary getting found, alive or dead. But, no news is good news right?

She huddled on her bed for a long while, before finally deciding to go over to where Gary was. Perhaps the bond was still there, but it’s too weak and they were too far away. Perhaps it could help her find him.

But then there were Jiyoung and Ji-ohnnie. How could she leave them alone in this situation. It is not safe to go to an earthquake zone, but at the same time, Gary would be in more danger the longer it takes for him to be found. It was a hard decision to make, Gary or the kids. But as of now, Gary ranks first. She has to make sure that he's safe.

There wasn’t much to pack. She booked the soonest flight. She hadn’t told her family nor the members about her decision. They were sure to stop her.

She was ready to go when her doorbell rang. It was Haha. He glanced at her bag of clothes and her passport. She looked away.

“You’re going to find him, aren’t you?” he asked.

She nodded.

Haha took a deep breath and gestured for her to go in. she reluctantly agreed.

“Do you know anything?” he asked.

Jihyo studied him. Gary trusted him. She trusted him. He knew all about them. What’s there to hide?

She nodded.

“There’s a special connection between us,” she explained. “It had been there since we got together. The only time it stopped was when he ran away to Canada, and he took the connection away on purpose.”

She paused.

“And it’s not here now?” he prompted.

She nodded, eyes welling with tears again. “I’m so worried, oppa. The rest say that it could just be because he lost consciousness, or that he’s severely injured. But we don’t know for sure. And if they don’t find him soon…”

Haha silently put his arm around her, pulling her close. She sobbed into his chest. He didn't know who 'the rest' were, but it wasn't important. He already guessed that she knew something when he saw her during the meeting. And he has to stop her from leaving, from endangering herself. 

 

“When hyung left 5 years ago,” he began. “He came to me too.”

“He told me that you’re so important to him, even more than his own life.”

She sobbed harder. Haha pressed on.

“He said that no matter what happened, he was still glad that he had treasured memories to share with you.

So, don’t go. Don’t risk your life, Jihyo-yah.”

She pulled away, drying her tears.

“Do you know what, oppa? To me, he’s more important than my own life too.”

Haha nodded. Of course he knew. Gary told him about how she tried to sacrifice herself for him back when they were captured by the Metals.

“But Jihyo-yah, you have Jiyoung and Ji-ohnie now. Your life is not solely yours anymore,” he said, steadying her by her shoulders.

Tears rolled off her cheeks again. She had been so irresponsible, only thinking about her fears. She tossed her kids to her parents, despite how afraid they were. They must have known something too. They must have been afraid too. And yet, she left them alone, without comforting or explaining to them.

She gripped the heart-shaped necklace Gary gave to her a while back.

This way, I’ll always be close to your heart.

Thinking of him again, she started to cry. She felt so helpless, so useless. She had no way of helping Gary, and she hadn't looked after the children properly. She wasn't there when they needed her the most. She clutched her chest and curled into a ball. She wasn't crying hysterically, but it wasn't silent either. It was just gasps and noises that were almost primal, that it hurt the ones hearing it too.

Haha watched on helplessly. Jihyo is a precious sister to him, just as how Gary is his beloved brother. He couldn’t do anything to help, except to offer her his shoulders.

After her crying finally slowed, he propped her up again.

“Come,” he urged. “I’ll send you to your kids.”

 

 

 

When she finally reached her parents’ house, the kids were sleeping, worn out from all the shock and crying. She brushed off her mother’s concern and went straight into the room. There, the twins slept side by side. They looked so peaceful, like there was nothing wrong with their world.

She caressed their cheeks gently. They look like Gary. Maybe not so much for Ji-ohn, but for Jiyoung it was as clear as day he was Gary’s son. So much that it tugged at her heart again.

What am I going to do if you die?

Her tears came down again.

Startled by the movement, Ji-ohn stirred awake.

Jihyo patted her back to sleep, but Ji-ohn was already awake.

“Eomma,” she called out softly.

“Eo?”

She reached out for her. Jihyo let her hold her hand. She slowly sat up, and went into Jihyo’s embrace.

“I love you,” she said, as she snuggled into Jihyo’s chest. Jihyo rested her head on Ji-ohn’s head.

“I love you too, baby.”

“Don’t cry, eomma. Appa will be fine.”

She patted Ji-ohn’s cheeks gently. “Thank you, Ji-ohnnie.”

The child kissed Jihyo's cheek, and Jihyo's lips curled up a little, allowing herself to believe, momentarily, that everything is alright.

 

A/N: I'm sorry for always making you suffer, Jihyo. You know I love you):