Dream

Star Children

Jihyo was packing her bag and preparing to go out. She was meeting her mother and sister later in the afternoon. The kids were taking their afternoon nap now.

Gary’s phone rang while she was packing halfway.

“Oppa, your phone,” she called out to Gary, who was in their room.

“I’m in the toilet,” he called back. “Help me pick it up.”

Jihyo went over and saw that the caller ID was ‘Dong Hoon’. “It’s HaHa oppa,” she told Gary as she picked up the phone.

“Gary samchon…” Dream’s voice said from the other end of the phone.

“Eo? Dreamie yah?” Jihyo asked, her lips curling into a smile at Dream’s voice.

“Imo?”

“Eo. Gary samchon is in the toilet.”

“Jiyoungie neun?”

She chuckled. “He’s sleeping. Do you want me to wake him up?”

“No, no,” HaHa said from the other end. It was that Jihyo realised she was on loudspeaker.

“HaHa oppa,” she greeted. “It’s okay, it’s about time we wake them up.”

“It’s okay, we’ll call back again later,” HaHa said. “Dreamie give me the phone,” he said.

Dream whined. Jihyo smiled at their little argument.

At that moment, Gary came out. “Why did Dong Hoon call?” he asked.

Jihyo shook her head. “Ani, not Haha oppa. It’s Dream. He wants to speak to Jiyoung.”

“Oh, is it?” he said as he took the phone from Jihyo. He chatted with Haha for a while before hanging up.

“Are you using the car?” Gary suddenly asked Jihyo, after hanging up.

“Eung, I told you I am going out. Why?”

“It’s okay, I’ll use the other car then. I am thinking of bringing the kids to visit Dream. He injured himself.”

“Ah jjinja? How?” she asked while she was still in the kitchen.

“Go Eun (Haha’s wife real name) went on a holiday,” he simply stated, earning a laugh from Jihyo.

“Dong Hoon was cooking and Dream wouldn’t stop jumping on the sofa. So he fell. It was a few days ago, but we’re in China so he didn’t call,” Gary continued to explain.

“Ah…” she said. “That’s why mothers don’t trust the children with their fathers,” she sighed, laughing a little.

“Ya, I took care of them fine when you went to work,” Gary rebutted jokingly. “I’ll wake the kids up,” he told her as he went into their room. Jihyo stayed in the kitchen to pick out some groceries.

The kids woke up easily, since it was approaching the end of their nap time. And they were excited about meeting Dream, so it didn’t take long for them to get changed.

“Oppa, I’m leaving,” Jihyo went in to bid goodbye to Gary and her children. They kissed her goodbye.

“I took out some groceries for Haha oppa. I don’t think he can go shopping any time soon. Remember to bring it over later,” Jihyo told Gary. He nodded. “And also remember to let them wear their jackets, oppa. It is getting colder.” Again, Gary nodded.

“I know, I know,” he said. “It’s not the first time I’m bringing them out. Just enjoy yourself with your mom and sis,” he told her.

After Jihyo left, he told the kids to bring some toys over to play with Dream. Ji-ohn chose her yellow dog and Jiyoung brought his toy car set. Gary collected the groceries Jihyo left on the table and left as well. He decided against bringing Daeyang, though, since it was just a short trip.

 

“Appa, that’s not our car,” Jiyoung said, when Gary unlocked the car.

“It is. We have two cars,” Gary explained.

“Why?”

“Because sometimes appa and eomma needs a car to go to different places.”

“It smells funny,” Ji-ohn commented.

“Because we haven’t used it in a while,” he explained again. “Should we get pizza for dinner?” he asked, before the children asked other silly questions that he couldn’t answer.

“Yes!!!” they cheered, successfully distracted.

 

Within 30 minutes, they reached Haha’s place. Gary pressed the bell, but before Haha could come out to open the door, he went in himself, since he knew the password anyway.

“Ya hyung,” Haha whined. “How could you come in just like that?”

“It’s heavy,” Gary said, shoving the plastic bags into Haha’s hands. The two children barely greeted Haha before running of to find Dream in the living room. Dream greeted Gary from the sofa, and Gary nodded at him.

“What’s these?” he asked, peeking into the bags.

“Jihyo packed them for you, in case you can’t go grocery shopping.”

“How is it that her kindness never rubs off you?” Haha joked. Gary rolled his eyes.

“At least I don’t injure my kids,” he laughed. “How’s Dream?”

“Hey, it wasn’t my fault that he refuses to listen,” Haha complained. “He sprained his foot and injured his wrist when he tried to break the fall.”

Haha remained in the kitchen to pack the groceries while Gary went to look for the children.

“Dreamie yah~” Gary called. Dream looked up at him and Gary carried him up. “Is it very painful?” he asked.

Dream nodded. Gary ruffled his hair. “We’ll see if you’ll still jump on the sofa again,” Gary said. “You must have inherited this bad habit from your dad.”

Dream giggled, “Jjinja?”

“Eo,” Gary laughed, putting Dream back on the sofa. “Play well together, okay?” he told the three children, before leaving them to find Haha.

“Need help?” he asked, looking at his friend pack the stuff.

Haha laughed. “Help me thank Jihyo for the food.”

“It was ME who brought the food over,” Gary said in annoyance, but Haha knew he was just playing, so he ignored him. “Oh, I ordered pizza and fried chicken,” Gary informed him.

“Okay, then I just cook some soup. Go play with the kids,” Haha said, shooing him out of the kitchen. Gary turned left the kitchen and joined the children in the living room. They wanted to play in Dream’s playroom, so he carried Dream over. The kids seemed to be engaged in a game that he didn’t understand, so he left them alone to watch TV in the living room.

He was dozing off when he heard the children argument in the playroom. Ji-ohn was sitting aside, trying to ask them to stop, but they weren’t listening. Jiyoung bit Dream’s hand and Dream pushed him away, and bit him back. They screamed incoherently at each other and pushed each other.

“Hyung, they seem to be fighting,” Haha said. "Dream is always so angsty now that he is injured."

“I’ll go check it out,” Gary replied as he stood up.

“Stop it, you two,” Gary said sternly. “What happened?” he asked. But the boys were sobbing so badly and Ji-ohn was equally clueless. “Ji-ohn, get out,” he told the girl, but she did not move. Gary then realised that she hasn’t memorized the layout here to move without a guide, so he carried her out. “Stay here,” he instructed. She nodded nervously, on the verge of tears herself.

“What happened?” he asked them. They were still sobbing. Dream mumbled something incoherent and Gary couldn’t understand.

“Stop crying, then tell me,” he said.

It made Dream cry even more. Haha would usually carry him up and coax him by then, but Gary remained firm. “When I say stop, then stop,” he said. “No one understands you when you talk like this.”

Jiyoung stopped already and looked at Dream nervously. He slipped his hands into his hyung’s and it made Gary smile a little inside.

“So, what happened, Jiyoungie?”

“I bit hyung and he bit back,” he confessed.

“Why did you do that?” Gary asked gently, wiping away his tears. He guessed that there was something else to the story, because he knew Jiyoung well enough to know that he wouldn’t bite anyone for no reason.

And so both of them narrated the story. It was bits and pieces of the full story but he seemed to have connected it together. Dream asked Jiyoung for his toy, but Jiyoung refused, so Dream snatched it away. And Jiyoung bit him to get it back and that’s basically how it started.

“Dream, if Jiyoung didn’t agree to share, then you can’t just snatch it away, do you understand? And Jiyoung, you can’t bite hyung even if he snatched your car. Do you know it’s painful?”

They boys remained silent, knowing that they were in the wrong. So Gary started again. “Don’t you two love each other?”

Dream spoke up first, sounding hurt. “I love Jiyoungie… but he didn’t want to share.”

“I love hyung too, but you snatched my toy,” Jiyoung said, hurt too.

 “I am injured,” Dream said. “You should look after me.”

“I will look after you,” Jiyoung replied. “But you still can’t snatch my toys.”

Gary smiled again because their conversation sounded so childish, but it was genuine.

“Dream-ah, even if you are injured, you can’t snatch other people toys,” Gary started.

“Jiyoungie is not other people. Jiyoungie is Jiyoungie,” Dream rebutted.

“Okay, so even if you are injured, you can’t snatch Jiyoung’s toys, okay? And Jiyoung, when people take your toys, you can’t bite them to get it back, okay? Ask them nicely, okay?”

The boys nodded. Gary made them hug each other.

 

 

Soon after they made up, the pizza arrived. The mood in the house lightened up again as they started their dinner.

Jiyoung took one slice of pizza and give it to Dream. “Hyung, saranghaeyo.”

Dream smiled and gave him his slice. “Nado saranhaeyo.”