Chapter 1

High school fever

Minhyuk showed no sign of regret looking down on Jaehyo and he wondered if this was truly the boy he had been friends with for all those years. He tried his hardest not to give in to the tears that were threatening to fall but of course they had already noticed. 

''What, are you crying?"' The leader of the bunch, Zico, snickered.

''Leave him alone!'' He heard a quiet voice whisper from behind. He was thankful that his friend tried to help him out be he knew this was only going to make it worse. 

''Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was your boyfriend.'' Minhyuk spoke harshly, and Jaehyo almost physically felt the knife in his back turn. The other boys laughed and Jaehyo decided that that was enough torture for today so he quickly stood up pulled his hoodie over his head and went sit back next to Taeil. 

''Thanks'' he whispered to the smaller boy, who just simply nodded. Jaehyo knew what a sacrifice this was for him, he used to be bullied by Block B but when a new member had entered it suddenly stopped. Still, him interfering could spark the bullying again. 

Block B was still laughing at Kyung who was imitating Jaehyo. He glanced at Minhyuk who was the only one who had an serious expression on his face. For a moment he locked his eyes with him and Jaehyo could swear he saw a hint of regret. He quickly waved it away, if he really had any human emotion left he wouldn't have done this to his former best friend. Full of newfound hatred he looked back until Minhyuk glanced away. Jaehyo had given him so many chances but now he has crossed the line, this was the first time he had directly tormented Jaehyo. In the beginning he would just silently stand by when it happened but that soon evolved to laughing at him. He laid his head on the table, if only he could just get far, far away from here now. He knew he just had to sit out this last year and then he could leave forever, a fresh start where nobody knew him and where he wouldn't have to deal with Minhyuk.

The teacher entered and began with class. They started a new chapter and any other day Jaehyo would be excited but he just couldn't concentrate. He kept thinking back at his time with Minhyuk. They were practically neighbors and have been in the same class from the beginning so it was only natural for them to become best friends. It was so strange, to be the closest you have ever been to a person and then from one moment to the another being less than dirt for that person. It was an alien concept for him, he either loved fully or not at all, and he had never cared for anyone the way he had cared for Minhyuk. 

The day just seemed to drag on and on. He had almost every class with either Ukwon or Taeil and he was thankful for his friends. He really didn't know how he was going to motivate himself to get out of bed everyday if it weren't for them. Sitting at their usual luch table, at the far end of the cafeteria in a dark corner where nobody bothered them, they ate their lunches. Ukwon was telling about some new dance move he supposedly invented. He had just gotten his acceptance letter to a dance school and he was already practicing like crazy. Jaehyo instantly felt better for his friend, Ukwon has worked so hard for this and he was glad it was finally paying off. Besides his campus was only an hour drive away from his own, so they had already promised to visit each other every week.

''Minhyuk is looking at you''  Taeil observed. Ah so much for being in a good mood. 

''What does he want now..'' Jaehyo replied, still looking at his untouched food. 

''What do you mean?'' Ukwon asked, astonished at the conversation, Minhyuk was a subject they didn't really discuss. Jaehyo was very sensitive on the subject and the last time they had discussed it, Jaehyo had locked himself in his room for two days.

Explaining to Ukwon the events that had happened earlier this morning the dancer balled his fist. ''That ''

''S'okay''  Jeahyo muttered.

''No it's not! We should really do something about him''

Taeil visibally paled  at the possibility of standing up to Block B, but Jaehyo just replied apathetically: ''It's just another few months.''

''I just don't understand, you know! You used to be inseparable and now he-"' Ukwon continued.

''It's okay'' Jaehyo repeated curtly, clearly not interested in continuing this conversation. It was painful enough that Minhyuk seemed to be always on his mind, he really didn't feel like making it an even bigger deal than it already was. Besides, he loved his friends but couldn't contribute anything that he didn't already know.

After lunch the headed back to their classes where the day just seemed to go on and on. Luckily he didn't run into Minhyuk anymore. At half past 3 he was dead tired and ready to go home. He and Ukwon began their way back, Taeil had to stay for detention because he didn't make his homework.. again. When they came outside Jaehyo saw Minhyuk with some girl under his arm. He wasn't surprised, his former friend had always been good looking and even when they were younger girls would line up for him. Minhyuk barely acknowledged them back then but Jaehyo could imagine that with his new friends and lifestyle girls were more important to him then they were back than. A lot of things actually seemed more important to him back then, Jaehyo thought bitterly. 

Arriving home there was a note on the table from his sister, she was going out with her boyfriend and he would have the house to himself. He was used to this lifestyle now. His dad was in the army and he and his mother traveled throughout the country so they decided that Jaehyo could stay with his sister instead of moving around with them. They got on well it was just that she was barely home so he basically lived by himself. 

He was just about to make some noodles for himself when the phone rang. 

''Hello?''

''Jaehyo-'' He could hear Taeil panting on the other side of the phone.

''Jaehyo.. he ... he's.."' His voice was almost inaudible. He must have ran home, Jaehyo thought. 

''What are you trying to say?" Jaehyo sighed. 

''Minhyuk... h-he's going to your college too''