Chapter 9

High school fever

Suzy's house was exactly how he remembered it to be. The couches with the outdated flower prints, the broad stairs that led upstairs and not to forget, the glass door that led to the outside garden. Jaehyo was hit with the realization how little time had passed since his prom, the event that parted the two best friends from each other for the first in a series of times. 

''Come on'  Ukwon grabbed his hand and dragged him to the kitchen where he sat down upon the counter. The house was already beginning to fill up with happy students. They were done, and after the summer they would be out of each others sight, and tonight was seen as their final goodbye, as they celebrated the promise the future holds. 

Ukwon grabbed 2 shots glasses from the counter and grabbed one of the bottles of hard liqueur, filling them both up.

''I-I don't know, Ukwon.'' Jaehyo resisted. The last time he had drunk alcohol had not exactly ended well. And not to mention that it was in the exact same place they were now. 

''Come on, Jaehyo! It's our night!'' 

''It's probably best if I don-''

Ukwon leaned in and placed his mouth next to Jaehyo's ear. He could feel the warmth of his breath on his neck when Ukwon continued:

''I will be with you the entire night to watch over you. Nothing bad will happen, I promise''. 

Hesitantly Jaehyo moved forward and grabbed on of the shot glasses, emptying it in one sip. Ukwon was right, he wasn't alone this time. He had Ukwon with him, so there was no need to hold back. Besides, even though the other students had sometimes picked on him, all was forgiving this night. The atmosphere was good and even students who couldn't stand each other a few weeks ago seemed to embrace each other. 

Ukwon laughed and and clapped before emptying his own glass and yelling: ''Again''.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seldom Jaehyo had felt as good as he did. He and Ukwon where sitting against one of the couches listening to Taeil telling some story about 'Super Equus' (his most beloved fish) in front of them. A few hours into the party they had pushed the couches aside so a dance floor could be formed. Sittting at the sidelines, the tro had now the pleasure of watching some drunken dancers break out on the dancefloor. He wasn't drunk, but he and Ukwon had emptied more than enough shots for him to feel warm and fuzzy inside. All his problems seemed miles and miles away. 

''Taeil!" An extraordinary low voice called out.

Jihoon came walking towards them with a wide smile on his face, detaching himself from Minhyuk, Zico and Kyung, who stayed behind. Had they made up already? He had not been expecting forgiveness this early of even at all, though Jaehyo suspected that Jihoon may have something to do with that. He had grown fond of the tall boy even since he began hanging out with Taeil. He was a little simple at times but he had his heart on the right place. 

''Fancy seeing you here'' Jihoon laughed again, throwing his arm over the tiny Taeil.

''I told you I'd be here'' Taeil muttered back, while a blush rose to his face.

''Are you blushing? Ah you're so cute!'' 

''I'm not cute! I'm older than you are!'' Taeil argued back.

''Well you're smaller than I am.'' Jaehyo bit his lip. Wrong answer, Jihoon.

''Are you calling me small?'' Taeil burst out.

''Come on, Jaehyo, it's best to leave them alone.'' Ukwon said as he grabbed Jaehyo's hand once again dragging him towards the dance floor. 

''Ukwon.'' Jaehyo complained. '' You know I can't dance.'' 

''Well I can'' Ukwon smiled as he grabbed Jaehyo's waist so that they could sway together on the slow song that was playing.Jaehyo felt strange, he could feel Ukwon's fingers dig into his hips and though the music was rather loud it seemed like it was miles away. He looked at Ukwon whom was still smiling at him in the eyes. He was going to miss him so much. They would still be able to visit each others on the weekends but it still wouldn't be the same. Suddenly Jaehyo remembered something Ukwon had said at their graduation. 

''What was it you wanted to talk about'' Jaehyo asked him, leaning closer so that Ukwon could hear him. 

''Not yet'' Ukwon called back over the music. 

''Ukwon'' He dragged out his name. ''Just tell me.''

Ukwon just gave him one of his infamous smiles as an more upbeat song began playing. Using his hands that were still placed on Jaehyo's waist he turned him around. 

''U-Ukwon.'' Jaehyo stuttered. He could feel Ukwon's presence close behind him, just millimeters apart from him. Fingers dug deep into his waist as he heard Ukwon's shaky laugh in his ear.

''Come on, Jaehyo, just loosen up.'' 

Ukwon was right, he should loosen up. It didn't mean anything right? Besides everyone was busy in their own little world with their friends that somebody would hardly notice. Pushing his body against Ukwon he heard the other boy let out a little gasp before tightening his fingers and moving their hips together. Jaehyo could feel his stomach tighten, maybe Minhyuk had been right about him. He pushed the boy's face out of his mind, he was having too good of a time to worry about that now. He was just about to move his hands behind him so he could hold onto Ukwon's waist when his wrist was grabbed out of nowhere. 

''We're leaving, Jaehyo.'' 

Minhyuk. It took Jaehyo a moment to process what was happening. Why? Why did he always have to ruin everything? 

Another hand grabbed his wrist, pulling him loose from Minhyuk's touch.

''Don't touch him!'' Ukwon threatened as he moved in front of Jaehyo. The anger was so visible on both of their faces that Jaehyo could almost touch it. 

''You don't own him'' Minhyuk replied. Ukwon muttered something under his breath that Jaehyo wasn't able to catch but it must have been pretty bad since Minhyuk took another step forward with an even more furious expression. 

Ukwon just raised a hand to stop him from getting even closer:

''Don't forget our deal, you're breaking your promise so I might as well break mine.'' 

Minhyuk visibly paled. ''Y-you wouldn't.'' 

''Watch me.'' Ukwon dared.

Jaehyo had just as about enough by now. He had been standing at the side lines for far too long and it was time he took matters in own hands. He didn't need anybody else to make decisions for him, he could choose himself. 

''Come on, Ukwon.'' he grabbed Ukwon's hand and led him off the dance floor. 

Jaehyo felt agitated when he walked outside. Who gave him the right to interfere with his life anymore. Wasn't he 'disgusting' as he had so wonderfully put it? Jaehyo marched into the night until he had walked far enough for the cold night to extinguish his anger. It was when they eventually arrived at a playing ground near his home that he realized he and Ukwon were still holding hands. Ukwon dragged him to the old swing while they sat next to each other, still holding hands. 

''I'm sorry.'' Jaehyo muttered. ''I ruined the evening.''

''Quite the opposite.'' Ukwon smiled next to him. It was quite for a moment before Ukwon continued.

''I think I can tell you now.''

''You can tell me anything, you're my best friend.'' Jaehyo encouraged him.

''Hmmm..'' Ukwon replied . Another silence, and after a few minutes Jaehyo wondered if he was ever going to know what was on Ukwon's mind. He looked at Ukwon who took a deep breath. 

''I love you.''