Chapter 2

High school fever

Jaehyo was lying on his bed with an arm over his face. Why? When he thought he would be forever released from Minhyuk, he decides to go to the same college. He honestly didn't understand, he knew Jaehyo wanted to go there, he had talked about it long before they'd stopped being friends, so why on earth would he follow him there? Did he enjoy tormenting Jaehyo that much? There was no way of saying if he would even see Minhyuk that much, though the campus was rather small, but the thought of his new fresh start being stolen away made him feel depressed. 

The next morning he was awakened by a text from Ukwon, who apparently had eaten a bad burrito and was spending his entire day on the toilet. Jaehyo sighed and debated once again if he couldn't just skip school for today. It took him every piece of strength he had to pull himself out of bed and get ready for the day. Putting on the same clothes as yesterday and combing once through his hair without looking in the mirror he was ready. It didn't matter how he looked anyway, everyday was the same. 

Realizing he was late he put on his headphones and ran out of the door. He was so deep in thought when he walked to school in a quick tempo he didn't notice another person arriving from his right just when he was about to cross over. He felt the impact of another person colliding with him and fell onto the ground. Papers flew past him and he guessed the other person must not have locked his bag properly because soon books were scattered down on the street. Jeahyo mumbled a quit 'sorry' and began collecting the fallen items. 

''Here"' He said when he finally looked at the person.

Minhyuk. Of course. 

He had dark circles under his eyes and it looked like he hadn't been sleeping very well. He looked apologetic and when they locked eyes he quickly looked to the ground. Embarrassed, Jaehyo stood up and was about to walk away when he felt his wrist grabbed. 

''Yesterday... I.. I shouldn't have done that...." he heard the voice behind him whisper.

For Jaehyo it had been so long since he was directly spoken to by Minhyuk that for a  moment he was flabbergasted. Then he remembered where he was and what was happening and he roughly pulled his arm away. It was a little too late for him to come back, besides it could all be a trap. Who knows, maybe if Jaehyo forgave him he would suddenly hear Kyung's annoying laugh and he didn't want to give them that pleasure. Angered at this possibility he balled his fist and said something he had never expected to come out of his mouth.

''Go die'' He spoke full of venom. 

He didn't look back to see Minhyuk's reaction but he heard a small gasp behind him. Jaehyo was always very polite and he had never ever spoken to Minhyuk in such a way, not even after the middle school dance when Minhyuk had first betrayed him and not even after Minhyuk stood by as Zico threw his English books out of a second floor window. Of course he didn't mean it. He still cared a great deal about Minhyuk even everything that he had done. It just felt so good to finally being able to fight back. To hurt him back. Especially now when he was alone and most vulnerable. It almost felt as revenge for all the times he and his friends had sought out Jaehyo and this was the aftermath. Slightly satisfied at the reaction Jaehyo realized that he was already late for his physics class and began running towards school. 

His teacher scolded him of course for being late, something that had never happened before so he was easily let off the hook. Ukwon, who was his lab partner, immediately questioned him but Jaehyo just decided to tell him that he overslept. For some reason he felt uneasy with what he'd said, he still thought it was justified but he still questioned himself. 

Minhyuk didn't show up for the next class. Or the one after that. In fact he didn't show up the next day. Jaehyo looked at the empty chair next to Kyung with a knot in his stomach. Surely he couldn't be the reason for this? Minhyuk was never sick and Jaehyo  knew this, still he did look tired when he'd seen him the other day. That wasn't the only reason Jaehyo was nervous, this Thursday was the school annual senior sport's day. The whole day locked in a gym with the rest of his year wasn't something he particularly looked forward to. Especially since it was the perfect opportunity for Block B to pick on him. Still he had to admit that since Minhyuk was gone the bullying had quiet down. There still was the occasionally insult thrown at him but overall the members left him alone when Minhyuk wasn't there and he secretly hoped that Minhyuk wouldn't return at all. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaehyo woke unusually early on Thursday morning. He had decided that if Minhyuk wouldn't be there it probably wouldn't be that bad. Jaehyo was actually quite good at sports so he wouldn't give them a lot of reasons to pick on him. There was still one activity that he was hesitant to do: swimming. He could swim of course, he actually practiced it when he was younger and even went as far to get his life guard diploma, mostly because of Minhyuk. He had almost drowned when he was younger and Jaehyo thought that if he could promise him that he would safe him no matter what happened, that they could go swim together. After he got his diploma Jaehyo had dragged him with him to the pool and had convinced Minhyuk to swim with him. At first he wouldn't let go of Jaehyo but they eventually made some progress and Minhyuk swam alone. He could swim quite well it was just clear that he was super uncomfortable so Jaehyo had good hopes that the black haired boy wouldn't show up.

A false hope he realized when he arrived at school with Ukwon. Block B was in their usual hang out spot in front of the school sitting on the brick wall, loud as ever. Jaehyo just glanced at Minhyuk, still slightly embarrassed at his fall out, but it took just a second to see how bad Minhyuk was looking. He was paler than ever and the dark circles under his eyes looked almost grey. He smiled at Jihoon who was telling some ridiculous story, but his eyes looked dead and his smiled disappeared completely when he saw Jaehyo. Ukwon glared at him and put his arm protectivly around Jaehyo as they entered the school.

They were gathered at the school gym where they got their instructions after a long and boring speech from their school head. Basketball was held inside the gym, track running outside and the last activity, swimming, was held at the pool (obviously). Looking up at a huge board that showed the teams Jaehyo counted himself lucky, he was in the same team with Taeil, which was good, and with Zico, which , but luckily the leader was pulled apart from the rest of his crew, making him seem less dangerous. Ukwon was sulking besides him, he was in the same team with Minhyuk whom he hated passionately.The small boy may seemed innocent but when it got to his loved ones he was unforgiving and ruthless. 

The first game they had to play was basketball against 'Kyung's team', that was literaly what they had named themselfs. Completely democratically of course, as Kyung tried to convince everyone. It only took 5 minutes to know that they were going to lose terribly. Taeil was apparently scared of the ball so he would dodge every pass that was given to him, Jaehyo tripped over the ball while he was dribbling (twice) and Zico just yelled at his team mates while focusing all his attention on the grinning team. It didn't help that the other team had the tallest boy of the school in their team and that Kyung turned out to be a rather decent dribbler, mostly because he was so tiny. After 20 minutes they were without a doubt eliminated. Zico managed to score some points and Jaehyo actually shot a three pointer which earned him a laugh and a slap on his back from Zico, which freaked him out a little. 

Because they were the first one to be elliminated, they had to wait for 3 hours before their next event started: swimming. He and Taeil quickly settled themselves on a bench at the back of the stand and Ukwon joined them with another boy Jaehyo knew by name. Taeil almost immediately managed to fal asleep even with the loud surroundings and the rest of talked and laughed and enjoyed their lunch. For the first time he felt kind of happy at school. Jaehyo felt two eyes on him and he saw Minhyuk looking at him with a dark expression. He was standing at the other end of the cafeteria glaring at him. Suddenly he felt two hands on his shoulder, massaging his back and he tried to look back to see who it was. 

''Ukwon?"

''Your back hurt right?" He answered innocently. 

''Y-Yeah'' 

When he looked back Minhyuk was nowhere in sight. Jaehyo sighed and decided just to let it go, he had obsessed over his former best friend for too long and he was beginning to accept the fact that was never going to get him back. Ukwon had to play the next match and Jaehyo cheered him on from the bench and efore they knew it they had to get dressed for the swimming competition. They were a little late because Taeil refused to  wake up and ran to the dressing rooms. 

When they entered the next match his heart sank in his stomach. He had totally forgot to check who they were going up against next and now he was face with face with Minhyuk. And of course, of course he had to swim against Minhyuk. The little happiness he had felt when they were on the sitting on the stand was long forgotten when he looked at Minhyuk who was staring back at him with an unreadable expression. 

They were the last couple to swim and they awkwardly sat next to each other, Jaehyo put as much distance as he could between the two of them and looked away while he felt Minhyuk's stair on him. He balled his fist, why couldn't he just be freed from him forever? He felt an unknown sense of competition rise within him, he could win this, no, he must win this. 

Walking to the starting platform he saw Minhyuk shuffling behind him. He looked terrible weak and Jaehyo couldn't help but wonder if he had been eating for the last two days. Getting in their starting position he heard a whistle blow. Fluently he dove into the water while he heard splash besides him. Ignoring Minhyuk, he swam as fast as he could. The water seemed to push him forward and he realized how he'd missed swimming. After a few meters he realized Minhyuk wasn't even besides him and when he swam up for air he heard the first scream. Not a scream for encouragement but the kind you hear when something terrible has happened. Panicked he looked back to see Minhyuk hanging silently in the water with his head pushed underneath. 

Instinct took over as he swam back as fast as he could, grabbing his torso and pushing him out of the water. 

''Goddammit where is the school lifeguard?"' he heard someone shout.

Pushing himself out of the water he wasted no time to begin CPR. It didn't matter what had happened in the past or how angry he had been with him, this was Minhyuk, his Minhyuk. Putting his lips over Minhyuk's he began blowing air in his lungs and massaging his hearth. Vagualy his mind registered the commotion that was going on around him, the voices and the screaming. He could somewhat make out someone telling them to give them space. Jaehyo was scared, his couldn't even wrap his mind around the idea of him not being able to help him. Not being able to save hime. 

For the fourth time he locked his lips with Minhyuk when he felt his lips moving back at his own. It was for a short moment and he doubted anyone around them had seen it, but it still startled him enough to fall backwards. When he looked back he saw that Minhyuk's eyes were wide open and a finger hesitantly touched his lips. He then continued to cough out the water in his lungs. When he was finished he sat back up and his face was just inches away from Jaehyo's.

''M-Minhyuk" he whispered. 

He saw something flicker in the other boys eyes, something he could not explain. He didn't have much time to think about that because the black haired boy was still inches away from him and he could feel his warm breath on his face. For a moment he though Minhyuk was going to kiss him again.

That was when he felt the impact of the first blow. He fell backwards on the cold white tiles and he could see some blood spat on it. His own blood, he vaguely registered sickened. He felt a fist connect with his face once again and before he knew it the world around him turned to darkness. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God, I'm so sorry! Please let me know what you think! :)