Chapter 11

High school fever

''Í love you''. 

It was dead quiet in the playground which was dimly lit by a street lanterns at the side of the road. Jaehyo suddenly became aware that they were still holding hands, as he slowly pulled his hand back.

''I..I-I don't understand..'' He murmured 

''I know this comes as a surprise, but I do. I do love you, I'm in love with you.''

Jaehyo just looked away. He didn't know what to think, it wasn't as if he was disgusted by the idea, as some may put it. It just came as a surprise. Ukwon had always been there for him, whenever he needed Ukwon he was there. But he just couldn't wrap his mind around it, it didn't make any sense whatsoever. 

''U-Ukwon, I don't.. I can't-''

Ukwon leaned in and kissed his cheek. He let out a laugh though it was humorless, as he slowly swayed on the swing. 

''I understand, Jaehyo. I'm not asking you to run off with me to Las Vegas to get married.'' He laughed again before continuing on a serious note. ''I know that you... care for him, too.''

Ukwon didn't need to mention his name for Jaehyo to understand. Minhyuk seemed to be a part of himself he couldn't seem to escape. No matter how far he pushed Minhyuk away, or how far he was pushed away, the past always seemed to follow him wherever he went. A shadow he couldn't escape, no matter how much he tried to ignore it was there. 

''You know I don't-'' Jaehyo immediately interfered, faint anger sparking inside of him.

''You do! Damn it Jaehyo, when will you stop lying to yourself?! You do care for him!'' Ukwon burst out. 

''You love him.'' Ukwon continued in a softer voice, lowering his voice to a whisper. ''I see the way you look at him...''

''Ukwon, I'm sorry.. I-''

''It's okay, Jaehyo.'' Ukwon smiled at him though it didn't reach his eyes. Those were still full of hurt and a burning jealousy Jaehyo couldn't help but see. How had he not noticed this before? 

''It's only natural for you to care for him, you were so close for so many years. But..'' Ukwon seemed to struggle for words before his face hardened. ''He is wrong for you, Jaehyo. He is like poison for you. He drags you down, and he will continue to drag you down. Jaehyo, he-''' He was getting too worked up and tried to calm himself down before continuing. ''Think of everything he did to you. I would never do something like that to you.''

A cold breeze pinched Jaehyo's face as he looked at Ukwon. He was nailed to his seat. Never had he heard the usually so calm and reserved boy act like this and maybe it was the alcohol soaring through his blood but he was captivated by Ukwon's words. Even though he had to repress the urge to defend Minhyuk. 

''You love him, and he ...cares for you too. But you care for me too. Fall in love with me, Jaehyo.'' Ukwon whispered. ''And even if you don't... that's okay too. I will always be your friend, and if you want to date anyone else, I will step aside and take care of you from the sideline. As long as you don't choose him.. Anyone but him.''

''I-I need some time to think.'' 

''Of course. Take as much time as you need, a week, a month or a year. I will be waiting.'' 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaehyo lay in bed restless, he had been feeling so tired when Ukwon had walked  him home, but now that he lay in bed and he had a chance to calm down his beating heart, he couldn't sleep at all. He looked at his alarm clock. 3.13. The party must still be going then and he wondered if Minhyuk was still partying with his friends. Groaning he turned around and closed his eyes before opening him them again after being awake for a while for a while. 4.55. Groaning he stood up and got dressed. He needed answers and he needed them now.

Picking up a few tiny stones that lay around the house he knew so well, he began throwing them at the window on the second floor. His mind was still fuzzy from the alcohol and lack of sleep so it took him a while to hit his target. After a few hits he saw the curtain open a bit and a panicked face peek through the window. Jaehyo walked towards the front door, he knew it didn't take long for the other boy to get down. And if it did, he would just start ringing the doorbell. The door flew open and Minhyuk walked out in his pajama's.

''You can't be here.'' He whispered, in a voice that sounded more scared than angry. 

''Well, though luck. We need to talk.''

''Jaehyo, please, please, please, go away. If my mom finds you here... you need to leave.''' Minhyuk pleaded. 

''Then come with me.'' Jaehyo argued back

''I told you to stay away from me, Jaehyo! Just leave me alone.''

''You hypocrite! So I need to stay away from you, but it's perfectly normal for yo-hmpf'' He was cut off by Minhyuk's hand on his face, shutting him up. 

''Leave'' Minhyuk threatened in a voice that was colder than ice and laced with anger.

Jaehyo pushed Minhyuks arm away. ''If you don't come with me, I'm just going to start screaming.'' 

For a moment he thought he would waver under Minhyuk's glare but he stood his ground. He had waited long enough for answers. It was time to confront his demons, or in his case, demon. He didn't know much about love, but he had read enough books and seen enough movies to know that you can never love someone else if you are caught up in the past. He wanted to love Ukwon, and this was an obstacle he had to overcome.

''Fine!'' Minhyuk pulled his coat from the coat hanger next to the door and followed Jaehyo. Not having thought this far ahead, he decided on the spot that it was just best to take Minhyuk home to him. His sister was sleeping at one of her friends, so there would be no one to bother them there. He swallowed. All alone. With Minhyuk. Sitting down at the breakfast table, they had spent so much time together. Since Jaehyo's parents were always away, Minhyuk basically lived there. He always wanted to stay over at Jaehyo's even though he refused to sleep over after they had turned 12. To think back at it, they never really played at Minhyuk's house. It was because his parents were always busy, or something. 

An awkward silence followed before Minhyuk broke it:

''So, what do you want?'' 

''I-I...'' Jaehyo stuttered and Minhyuk raised an eyebrow at him. 

''I just want to know.. what happened.'' 

''Nothing happened, I just got tired of you.'' Minhyuk immediately answered. 

''Y-You don't mean that.''

''I do, like I said, you disgust me'' 

''If that is true, than why would you defend me in front of Zico and Kyung? Why would you even care enough to ruin my time with Ukwon tonight?'' Jaehyo answered annoyed. Things just didn't add up. 

''Because what you and Ukwon were doing is wrong! It is.. If my.. How could you do something like that, Jaehyo?''

''I'm free to do whatever I wanted.''

''Like it was your own choice! Like he didn't force this on you! He's manipulating you, Jaehyo!''

''And you're not!?''  Jaehyo shouted back. 

''I'm only looking out for you Jaehyo! Like I always done, and alway-...'' Minhyuk shouted back before he realized what he was saying and continued in a softer voice. 

''I need to go, Jaehyo. Just.. just stay away from... never mind. Just leave me alone from now on. I'm like poison for you'' Minhyuk wanted to stand up from his seat and tried to walk out of the door but Jaehyo grabbed his arm. 

''Ukwon confessed to me tonight''

''Of course he did.'' Minhyuk spat. ''What better circumstances could he have? That little snake.'' 

''He said that I should fall in love with him. That he was the better choice for me.'' Jaehyo continued as if Minhyuk had never spoken. ''He also said that I still cared for you.. and that you cared for me.''

Minhyuk was completely silent while Jaehyo still hold on to his arm. 

'''Do you care for me?'' Jaehyo dared to question. 

It took a while for Minhyuk to answer.

''I-I do...''

''Do you love me?'' Jaehyo couldn't seem to stop. He wanted to know it all, even though it could hurt him like nothing else in this world could.

''Jaehyo, please! I-I can't! If my parents find out I'm here... I.. You'' 

''You don't love me'' Jaehyo answered for him. ''You wouldn't do the things you did to me to someone you love.I would never do that to you.. or to Ukwon.'' 

Minhyuk turned around and directly face Jaehyo. Sunlight was beginning to shine through the window and illuminated the living room. 

''If you love him so much, why are you wasting your time with me?'' Minhyuk growled at him.

''I deserve to know why! I deserve to know the truth!'' Jaehyo shouted in his face.

''You want to know the truth? Fine! I love you and-''

''You don't! Stop saying you do! You wouldn't tell someone you love to say away from you!''

Minhyuk let out a humorless laugh. ''You don't understand, Jaehyo! I did that to protect you! The fact that I could muster up the willpower to push you away is forever the proof of my love for you!''

''What are you talking about? Protect me from what?'' Jaehyo shouted. 

''From me, of course! I don't want this, Jaehyo! I don't want you! This is wrong.'' Minhyuk shouted back. ''I have nothing to offer you, Jaehyo. After that prom night, I came home crying. I thought my parents would be asleep, they never gave about me so it didn't make sense for them to wait for me. But they did and I decided it would be best to just come clean to them. Boy was I wrong. They called me an abomination. I had bruises for weeks.''

''I-I didn't know'' Jaehyo stuttered. 

''Because I didn't want you to know. I didn't want you to know anything about me after that'' 

''Then why would you apply to the same college as me?''

''I-I wanted to keep an eye on you. You don't know how vulnerable you are, Jaehyo. You're naive and attractive and people always take advantage of you. I took advantage of you that night in the forest, and you let me without thinking about it twice.'' 

''I can take care of myself.'' Jaehyo answered. ''You don't need to watch out for me anymore.''

''I will. But you have Ukwon now. Choose him, Jaehyo. You're wasting your time with me. I drag you down and I will never be able to offer anything he can. I don't want to offer you that. I'm going to find a girlfriend in college, marry her and have children.''

''You will be living a lie!'' 

''It's better than the alternative, trust me. I really need to go now, my parents will wake up soon. See you in college, Jaehyo.'' And with that Minhyuk walked out of the door, and perhaps out of his life forever. Jaehyo's heart broke for Minhyuk, he was struggling and suffering. But he also knew there was nothing he could do about it, you can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved. Deciding it was too late for him to go to bed he grabbed his bike and drove through his neighborhood. 

He dropped his bike on the grass and rang the doorbell of a large white house.

An attractive lady in her 40's opened the door.

''Is Ukwon home?''

''He's still asleep, but you can go wake him if you want? I know he won't mind. '' Ukwon's mother smiled at him. Jaehyo wondered if Ukwon had already told his parents about him. 

''Thank you!''

Ukwon's room was small and most of the space was filled up with bed where a sleeping Ukwon was laying on, still fast asleep. Jaehyo could hear faint snoring. Feeling bold and tired he crawled into bed next to Ukwon, hugging the boy from behind though the didn't dare to crawl under the covers with him. Being the light sleeper that he was, Ukwon awoken by the warmth that was suddenly laying against his back and the warm breath on his neck. He turned around under Jaehyo's arm.

''J-Jaehyo? What are you doing here?'' He whispered sleepily.

''I know you said that I could take a week, a month or a year, but is a few hours okay too?'' 

Ukwon laughed happily. ''I will have to think about it, but I think I'm fine with this.'' 

''Good! Now shut up, I'm tired.''

'' 'Kay'' Ukwon murmured back, snuggling close to Jaehyo and sneaking his arms around Jaehyo's back. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE END (FOR NOW)

So this is the end of high school fever, but I'm not quite done with this story so I have decided (with the help of a few of my lovely friends) to write a sequel called College Fever! It will be with the same characters and backgrounds, though new problems will emerge. It will probably a little more mature than HSF because I want them to slowly grown into adults. Anyway, I hope  you liked this story and will show the same support and love for College fever!

xoxo