eight

Mixed and Mismatched

 

"Hey," Jiwon calls, reaching out to Hanbin who was looking out the window of their bus home. He doesn't wait for the younger to look at him to continue to talk. "I don't know what you and CEO talked about but I know it was enough to make you break-up with Sujeong."

Hanbin leans his head to the glass, erasing the fog forming every time he breathes in an attempt to not look Jiwon in the eyes. Jiwon sighs. "But you did what you did and you can't just come and re-appear in her life when she's moving on. You're going to ruin her."

"I don't want that." Hanbin mumbles weakly and he stops fiddling with the glass. "I made a decision, I know but I can't do it. I don't think I can last one more day without her."

Jiwon looks at Hanbin with sad eyes, a little shocked because in almost ten years that they've been together, he's never seen the younger this broken. He loves Sujeong as well but he isn't sure if getting her would numb the pain of seeing his friend like this.

"Sujeong," Jiwon muttered and Hanbin turns to him. "Is she sick? Why do you want to take care of her so much?"

"She was sixteen when her parents died in a crash when they were on their way to Japan to fetch her after an exhibit. Her psychologist said that everything she's experiencing was because she blamed herself for the accident." Hanbin said with glossy eyes, as if he was in another dimension. "She loved spicy foods before and her father always reminded her not to eat too much so after the accident, she gets all these sickness when she eats them, her mother hated chocolate milk so her body reacts to it as well. Sujeong has it worse than I am but when I escaped back then when we were filming WIN, she comforted me and she never thinks about herself."

The two remained silent until they reached their stop. Jiwon trails Hanbin quietly back to the studios and he witnesses how iKON's leader waved a smile at the fans waiting outside the building.

"Bobby, can I take a picture with you?" Another fan half-shouts beside him and Jiwon steps back.

"Only if you promise to go home straight after and study." Jiwon orders and forces a smile on his face when the fan promised to do what he said.

Jiwon texts Jinhwan to let the members know that he found Hanbin so they wouldn't worry too much before he enters the studio. Hanbin looked like he wasn't looking forward to more talking because he had his headphones on and Ms. Jang, the lady in charge if closing the studios was shaking her head as if she already knew that she'll get home late again.

Time check, 3:16. Jiwon tells Ms. Jang to go ahead, promising that he'll close up for her and the female thanks him with a pat on the back. Jiwon then opens the booth rather loudly but Hanbin pays no attention, his eyes glued on the screen as he continues to create new beats.

"Kim Hanbin." he calls but the younger doesn't reply. Kim Jiwon is a man full of patience but its almost dawn and he just came home from a long filming so he's not planning to wait. Not even a second.

Pulling the power plug, Jiwon laughs a little at the sight of Hanbin who was now burning with anger but before he could say another word, the older rapper pulls out his phone.

"iKON used to be on top but now they're just like any other groups." Jiwon read, a smile painted on his face. He could sense Hanbin's confusion but he continues. "WIN produced artists, Mix and Match produced trendy idols."

"What are you doing?" Hanbin mutters and he panics a little when Jiwon tossed his phone to his direction but he caught it nevertheless. "What's all these?"

Jiwon shrugged and headed for the door while the younger scrolled down at all the articles. "I think I kinda know why you broke up with her. So get your working, do what you have to do so you could get her back."

"Don't forget to close up after you finish." Jiwon reminds before he closes the door behind him and head back for the dorms. Kim Jiwon is a man who fights for what makes him happy, he might have to hurt his bestfriend on the way so he is more confused than ever. But then again, its almost dawn and he just came home from a long filming so he's going to sleep and figure it all out some time.

 

***

 

Sujeong laid on her bed that night and curses herself for what happened earlier. She was okay, at least near okay, she was busy and occupied and she thought she was on the verge of actually moving on but one sight of Hanbin and she crumbles down again. It's my fault anyway, she tells herself and reaches her coloring book to distract her only to find out that there were no blank pages left. She tried everything, drinking milk, doodling, doing sit ups, taking a bath and now its 3:40 in the morning and she's still wide awake.

She rolls in her bed for the nth time, trying to sleep when her phone lit up. It was a text from Jiwon.

 

Hey, are you alright?

 

Yeah, can't sleep ㅠㅠ 

 

Have you tried drinking warm milk?

 

Yes, I even took a warm bath and did sit ups. Still can't sleep.

 

Well, dont take pills okay?

 

Yes, yes.

Why are you still awake? Aren't you tired from filming?

 

I'm recording, any good ideas?

 

For your next comeback? Isn't Hanbin composing?

 

Yup but he's out of ideas.

He .

 

Hmm, I'm not really good at these but he told me something.

He wanted to try  a supernatural concept instead of hip-hop.

A whimsical song, maybe?

 

Ah, yes. I'll do it now, sleep well, Sujeong-ssi.

 

ssi? You sound like Hanbin.