three

Mixed and Mismatched

"Sujeong let's go home together."  Mijoo called out, running to get her bag.

The other nodded and started fixing her things as well. Browsing through the pieces of paper, Sujeong stopped when she saw a drawing of one of her students. In the picture was a girl trying to hold back her tears and at the bottom the words sorry for being a burden was written, making Sujeong's inside turn.

Ryu Sujeong is in her third year of teaching in a not-so-prestigeous art school. Although she graduated with flying colors, she pushed through her dreams and taught other kids the art of pouring your emotion through drawing and she couldn't ask for a better job. It was hard for her at first, after her parents died she had her mind set on making herself successful so she could live the life she wanted back then; a nice rich life but it changed one fateful day when she saw a red haired man sitting on a bench, looking grim as if he was evaluating his whole life.

"Here." Sujeong smiled, handing a cup of coffee to the guy who looked up and smiled shyly. Taking it as a good sign, she sat beside the said guy and sighed. "You'll get through it."

The guy looked at her with a confused expression. "What?"

"Whatever your problem is, you'll get through it." Sujeong muttered, not looking at the guy beside her. It's not that she was a fool who goes around and sits with every person she sees, its just that something about that guy seemed to called out for someone to be there for him, it was a silent cry and Sujeong heard it.

"Thank you." the guy smiled, reaching out a hand. "I'm Kim Hanbin."

 

"Sujeong, let's go." Mijoo called before they headed out of the building.

 

***

 

"Why the hell can't you guys do this right?" Hanbin shouted, his voice echoing in the whole second floor. Everyone inside the practice room literally froze. Hanbin gets all these breakdowns and shoutings but it's never been this severe. His hands were clenching and he was starting to turn red. "That's a basic move and you act like I'm teaching you how to fly!"

Jinhwan bit his lower lip and closed his eyes, trying to understand the kid's feelings. He's just stressed, the mat hyung dismissed but he's known Hanbin for more than five years now and every fiber of his being knew that there's something wrong. "Hanbin. Let's talk outside."

"And what? Waste time and leave them lazing around while you pep talk me?" Hanbin said, not shouting but poison covering his voice. "I have had enough of the pep talking s in this building."

"Hanbin!" Jiwon shouted, watching Jinhwan storm out of the room with tear-filled eyes. The rapper stepped forward, grabbing the leader's collar before giving him with a deathly glare. "You can lead us and boss us around but you don't have then ing right to talk like that  to Jinhwan."

"Jiwon enough." Yunhyeong said with an forceful yet trembling voice. "You're scaring the kids."  All the members are now standing up, ready to stop them yet unable to do so. Hanbin eyed everyone, ignoring the sharp pang of seeing his brothers looking at him with scared, shocked and disgusted glares. Even Chanwoo who idolized him the most looked as if he was ready to punch him for making Jinhwan cry.

Unfazed, Hanbin removed Jiwon's hand forcefully. "Go yourself." 

And with that, the older swung, punching the younger rapper making Hanbin slam on the floor with his mouth bleeding. Jiwon was rarely mad and it was a first for them to see him lay a hand on the members especially on Hanbin. The latter stood up and ran the back of his hand to his mouth to wipe the blood, shooting glares at everyone before leaving the room.

 

***

 

"Sujeong is Hanbin hyung with you?" Junhoe asked frantically, seemingly out of breath. 

Sujeong almost dropped her phone when the kid told her everything that happened. She was thankful that the maknae line was busy looking for him and she was also thankful that Jinhwan told her he wasn't mad anymore, he told her when she apologized on Hanbin's behalf, but she was too worried and she ran to the place where she knows Hanbin would go.

The bus was too slow and the taxi was stuck in the traffic as if they were teasing Sujeong with all their might. Frustrated, Sujeong checked if her inhaler was on her bag and the moment she saw it there, she jumped off of the bus and ran, trying her best to stabilize her breathing. 

She stopped three times to take her medicine, running again every time she could feel the air hitting her lungs until she reached the place.  She looked at the series of benches on the park and it took her no longer than a second to stop Hanbin sitting alone. 

"Hanbin!" she called. The male turned around, shock painted on his face before he started pacing away. Sujeong was a few meters away from her so she had to run again to reach him and before she could, air was out from her, her knees bucked and her legs gave out. 

"Sujeong!" Hanbin exclaimed, running to her side the moment he saw her fall to her knees.  Her breathing was uneven and tears fell from her eyes. She clutched Hanbin's shirt tightly and tried to reach for her inhaler but her boyfriend beat her to it. Placing it to , she felt Hanbin's hands soothing her back as she tried to breathe normally. 

Hanbin looked at her worriedly. She's been through so much, he thinks, his palms turn sweaty and it caused a sharp pang to him to think that he would be leaving this girl. 

You can't afford distractions, Hanbin. YG told him when the issue arose. He loved Sujeong with everything he has but it was true, Sujeong is by far the biggest distraction. He had to be rational if he wants iKON to be the best they can be but with her around, he can't function well.

Not that its a bad thing. There are times where he was so thankful that she's a distraction. He's distracted when he meets her bright, hopeful eyes, when her pink lips touches his, when her small hands find their way to his. But then again, not every moment is good like the time when he had to miss a concert because Sujeong was in the hospital. Or the day that he had to miss practices because heer asthma attacked and no one was with her. 

Sujeong was a double edged knife and Hanbin hated that he loved her.

"I'm sorry."  A light voice muttered beside him. Hanbin snapped out of his trance and saw Sujeong's tear filled eyes. She reached out to touch his hand and he wiped her tears away. "I'm so sorry."

Hanbin pulled her closer to his chest and placed his chin on top of her head. "Don't be. I need you to be strong. What would happen to you when I'm gone?"

"When you're gone?" Sujeong sniffled, pulling away from his hug.  "Are you leaving?"

 

That moment, Hanbin felt possesed. He regretted the words that came out of his mouth when he said; "Yes."