five

Mixed and Mismatched

Sujeong was not fine. She kept waking up in the middle of the night only to realize that Hanbin is no longer there to soothe her. She lethargically drags herself out of bed and washes her face as she shakes her head in disgust at the sight of her swollen eyes but nevertheless, she forces a smile in her once radiant face. 

"You look terrible!"  a voice filled concern echoed in the room and for a moment, Sujeong resisted the urge to throw herself at thee owner of the voice, making her clutch the sink tighter. "Good thing I'm here eh?" 

"Jiwon..." Sujeong stopped the moment she heard her raspy voice.

"Sujeong." Jiwon imitated her raspy voice and for the first time in a week, Sujeong smiled. "That! I needed that smile."

"You're working late again?" Sujeong asked as she entered the recording studio casually. The male infront of him smiled, arms automatically wrapping around her waist. "Hey, are you okay?"

Hanbin only closed his eyes in reply and took her scent in. He loved how she smelled like flowers and it calmed him down whenever he nuzzles his face oon her hair. "I'm just a little tired."

"Mhm," she replied before unattaching her boyfriend's arm so she could look at him better. They stared at each other for a while before she grabbed his cheeks and stretched it so she could see a smile on his face. She beamed at the sight. "Smile!"

Hanbin laughed and pulled her to his arms, whispering. "I needed that smile."

The female smiled again and even though it seemed like  flame torched her heart, it was better than feeling nothing. It was the memory that burned her but when she felt Jiwon's hand against his, she felt warm, like she never had a problem.

"Hey," Jiwon muttered.  "I'm sorry, it must be hard for you."

Sujeong nodded and swallowed. "Yeah, its  hard to know someone you used to have by your side gone in an instant."

"He became a habit." Jiwon noted, sitting down on her bed while she followed. Jiwon was infuriated, he couldn't believe that the man he entrusted her with would do it. He hated the way dark circles painted her pale skin, the way her body became more frail, the way she talked about him. "And it takes 21 days to break a hbbit."

"21 days?" Sujeong chuckled. "How do you suppose I manage that?"

Jiwon clicked his tongue. "That's why I'm here, aren't I?"

 

***

 

"And one, two, three, four!" Hanbin shouted, moving slowly so that the others could follow his movements better. "Jinhhwan, bend your leg  more...more."

Hanbin then stopped moving to watch the others do the choreography and he had to admit, it was neater than ever. He smiled at the sight of s' flowy dance and it was all he could ask. He was over the moon at the sight of their comeback in complete gear and the only thing that's unsettled is their concert after the comeback. That's all he could ask for, right?

"Good!" he shouted, smiling as he looked at the clock, 8:00 pm. "That's a wrap! Let's go home early."

Junhoe looked at the leader weirdly, "What the hell is wrong with you? You're too cheery."

"Doesn't matter," Hanbin replied, ruffling the younger's hair, earning him a groan. "I'll go first, I have to go fetch Sujeong toni--"

Everyone in the room froze. Jiwon swallowed as his brows furrowed at the name. He closed his eyes and slapped himself internally, cursing the effect a single name had on him. He didn't like how he had ill feelings for his bestfriend. It was Hanbin, his bestfriennd, Hanbin whom he treated like a brother and yet, it was Hanbin who chose to break the only woman who mattered to him right now. 

"Hanbin," Yunhyeong muttered, sensing Hanbin's breakdown. "Let's go back to the dorm, okay?"

 

Hanbin, for the first time, listened to his hyung and went straight to his room, locking the door shut. He couldn't breathe, his palms were sweaty and his chest felt so heavy that he had to clutch it. 

"What happened, hyung?" Hanbin could hear Chanwoo's question from the inside.

"Just leave him be, Chanwoo-ah. He'll come out when he needs help." Jinhwan assured.

He'll come out when he needs help. He'll come out when he needs help. Those words repeated themselves in Hanbin's head over and over again. Did his team mates really think like this? He remembers how Sujeong would lazily smile and brush her fingers on his head after a long day, or how her laugh over the phone would make him feel lighter and it burned him.

"Hyung."  deep voice called, it was Jiwon, but why would he call Hanbin hyung? It took him a full minute to realize he was talking to Jinhwan. "I'm going to check Sujeong, okay?"

Hanbin nodded, not even feeling anything about the fact that he's eavesdropping depsite the heavy feeling in his chest. He could always entrust Sujeong to Jiwon, Jiwonnever failed him. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and looked at the other rapper.

"Sujeong doesn't like spicy ramyun, it upsets her stomach. And please don't let her drink chocolate milk, she gets dizzy the next day." Hanbin muttered.

Jiwon smiled a little. "Noted."

 

Hanbin trusts Jiwon the most.