Chapter 10

Love Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

Tiffany stared blankly at the huge flat screen. She deliberately turned up the TV's volume to fill the solitude in the spacious room, only to no avail as the suffocate feeling kept growing, made her don't want to stay any longer. 

 

She grabbed her car key and ended up in the parking lot of Taeyeon's apartment building. She was contemplating, thinking for a second before out her phone.

 

Biting her nails, she counted the rings before finally the call received.

 

"... Hello."

 

"Hi. Are you home?"

 

"No, why?"

 

"I'm at your apartment, bringing you some cupcakes."

 

"Why didn't you notify me first before come to my house?"

 

"Last time I asked you,  you weren't home. So I thought maybe you would be at home this time so I just came here straight away."

 

"..."

 

"Are you still long outside?"

 

"... Yes. Just go home. Give me them another time or you can just lend me at work."

 

"Why?"

 

"Why what?"

 

"Why should I give them at work? Usually you'll pick it up at my house or I'll come to yours. So why?"

 

"Why you questioning it as if it's a big deal?"

 

"Because I-" Tiffany trailed off, thinking there was no point in arguing now. She let out a sigh before speaking again calmly. "I'll wait you here, take your time it's okay. I can wait. See you later, Taeyeon." Before Taeyeon could answer, Tiffany hung up the call.

 

She exhaled a long breath before leaning her head on the steering wheels, closed her eyes.

 

She didn't know how long she had been in that position, until a knock from her car window awaken her.

 

"Did you sleep in the car?" As Tiffany got out of the car, Taeyeon asked while knitting her brows.

 

"No, I'm not." Tiffany replied and passed over the bag. When she saw Taeyeon was about to open , she butted in. She wouldn't let this chance fly away. "I'm hungry. Have you had dinner? Wanna visit that Korean restaurant?"

 

After several rejections and persuasions, Taeyeon finally complied and they headed to the restaurant used Tiffany's car. The dinner turned out quiet. Tiffany didn't know where it went wrong, but she couldn't stand this anymore, she had to solve this matter tonight.

 

Tiffany asked Taeyeon to stop by at the Han river afterward, the latter didn't even oppose again like she just wanted to make it quick and done so she could break free from her.

 

They sat on long bench in deep silence, facing the river. The sky is a beautiful pageant of dark blue silk adorned with twinkling shining stars and the moon peeked shyly over the clouds illuminated the night.

 

Tiffany shifted her gaze to Taeyeon, her expression was unreadable under the moonlight.

 

"You've been very quiet lately. Mind sharing your thoughts?"

 

"I'm fine."

 

Tiffany sighed. Could Taeyeon tell her what bothers her so much? How could she fix it if she didn't know what to rectify. 

 

Tiffany tried to come up with another topic, but Taeyeon seemed not in the mood as she just answered shortly.

 

"Taeyeon, it's cold. Hug me." She tugged Taeyeon and didn't wait for her to reciprocate her request and just threw her body at her. She felt Taeyeon's body stiffen because of her straightforward action but that didn't make her let go of her grip, instead she tightened her hold.

 

She leaned her head on Taeyeon's shoulder and the memory of the other night resurfaced. She felt the need to recite it, so without much thought she brought her face close to Taeyeon's neck and pressed her lips againts it, this time longer than before. 

 

Her stomach turned over. Her heart thundered against her chest, she didn't expect rejection as Taeyeon retreated her body away from her and displayed an unreadable expression. 

 

"What do you think you're doing?"

 

Tiffany wanted to cry right at the moment, the coldness which was dripping in her voice was indicating displeasure.

 

She clenched her fists, trying to endure the pain as her heart was torn apart as she wasn't familiar to this Taeyeon.

 

"Why? You didn't refuse when I did it before."

 

A brief silence run through the thick air as they exchanged a staring battle, before Taeyeon broke it and turned around.

 

"Let's just go home."

 

Tiffany stood up from the bench when Taeyeon just walked away without waiting for her answer.

 

"Wha- Taeyeon! No! I still want to be here! Kim Taeyeon!"

 

Tiffany stormed toward her with tears had begun to form in her eyes. She pulled Taeyeon's hand and turned her around.

 

"What's wrong with you?! What have I done to you to treat me like this?!" Tiffany pushed Taeyeon's shoulder harshly demanding an answer from her. Her eyes were red from anger, her nose was flaring up and her face flashed rage.

 

"Nothing. Nothing is wrong. I just..." Taeyeon sighed. "I'm tired. Let's go home. Please listen to me, just for this time." Her tone softened and she sent her pleading eyes. 

 

Tiffany looked away and strolled toward the car silently in defeat. She wiped the tears that escaped from her eyes, leaving Taeyeon behind.

 

The entire ride back home, Tiffany had her eyes looked out the window. She knew Taeyeon had stolen glances at her several times, but she ignored it. She was so mad at her and wanted Taeyeon to approach her first.

 

But to her despair, it never came as Taeyeon had parked her car in her usual place in the basement of her building. Cold fear spiraled through her, she didn't want to waste any more time, she didn't want to bear another day with Taeyeon being distant with her.

 

When Taeyeon was about to open the car door, Tiffany stopped her.

 

"Are you mad at me?" She started, trying to be as subtle as possible. 

 

"..."

 

"Tell me, Tae. What have I done wrong?"

 

"..."

 

"... Is it Jack?" Tiffany noticed Taeyeon's body became rigid. 

 

"I don't know what you're talking about." Taeyeon got out of the car briskly and Tiffany following suit. 

 

"Are you going to keep avoiding it? For how long?" She grabbed Taeyeon's hand when she was about to get away from her again. "Answer me, Kim Taeyeon! I'm talking with you!"

 

"..."

 

"Please... I beg you. Tell me what is wrong? Had I done something upset you? Tell me."

 

"Nothing, Tiffany. I had told you nothing is wrong."

 

"Then why you treat me like this?! Why do you change?! Why do you keep ignoring me?! Why, Kim Taeyeon?! Why?!" Finally lost her temper, she hit Taeyeon's shoulder with her fist at every question she asked as tears began to trickle down her cheeks. 

 

Taeyeon exhaled a long deep sigh.

 

The next move from her was unexpected for Tiffany as Taeyeon suddenly embraced her, wrapped her arms around her. She let out an ugly cry and pressed her body tightly against Taeyeon's.

 

"Please tell me why, Taeyeon-ah? I-i don't want you to act strange to me. I don't want y-you to change." She stated hiccups.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"Why? Why you apologizing?" She looked at Taeyeon with her teary eyes and wet face. 

 

Taeyeon let out another heavy breath and shook her head before guiding Tiffany's head back to rest on her shoulder. 

 

Tiffany's heart swelled when she felt Taeyeon kiss the side of her head. She was really so easy to please, she thought. 

 

"Let's talk about that another time."

 

"Why not now? I don't want you acting weird around me anymore."

 

"... I need time."

 

"What for? If it's about Jack I-"

 

"I promise you, I won't do whatever you think I did. But please just save this talk for another time. Can we?"

 

Hearing Taeyeon's pleading voice faltered her intention to settle the matter right here and right now. Really what is bothering her so much? She and him were done long time ago, they are nothing other than sharing and raising a kid together.

 

She sighed in disappointed. Do we really have to put this off behind again? When we can do it now and then move forward and maybe... Maybe we can finally talk about us. The us I've yearned to happen soon. But do you even want us to happen, Taeyeon-ah? What exactly do you want from me? 

 

She tightened her arms against Taeyeon's body before drew back her body slightly to look at Taeyeon. At least we can get back to ourselves again, aren't we? I'll keep your words. I trust you. 

 

Tiffany shot her a vulnerable smile. "Promise me you won't run away from me again?"

 

Taeyeon's expression showed a hint of displeasure everytime Tiffany said she ignored or avoided her, but she knew it didn't come of nowhere. So she just sigh in defeat.

 

"I promise. You have my words." Taeyeon raised her hands to brushed off the remaining tears on her face, before grabbed her hand. "Come on, I'll walk you upstairs."

 

When they were in elevator, Tiffany moved her body closer to Taeyeon's to hugging her and Taeyeon let her. Tiffany wanted to take her home herself, but Taeyeon said she didn't want her to drive alone at night and she could take a taxi and take care of herself so Tiffany didn't need to worry. 

 

Tiffany was grateful the lift was empty all the way up to her floor and she didn't have to unattached their position. She wanted to savor the moment as much as possible, she had missed Taeyeon so much. 

 

As they arrived at her door, Tiffany inserted her passcode before turning around to face Taeyeon again. She suddenly felt shy under her stare, she knew she looked messy now. 

 

"Wanna come inside?"

 

Taeyeon shook her head, took a step closer to her, bringing her right hand up to tuck a few strands of hair behind Tiffany's small ear.

 

She gently ran her tumb over Tiffany's rosy cheek. "We have work tomorrow."

 

Taeyeon patted her head one last time before withdrew her hand and giving her a small but sincere smile.

 

"I'd better go home now. Good night, Tiffany."

 

Tiffany walked into her house with the thought of Taeyeon embedded in her head. Her every little gestures made her feelings keep blooming immensely, even though she was such a jerk now to hanging her up like this.

 

When Taeyeon caressed her face, running her thumb gently soothingly as if she made from a fragile glass, Tiffany wanted to kiss her so bad. She wanted to have the taste of her. She wanted to feel the feeling of her lips touching hers. It had been a while since she had felt this way and she was overwhelmed. But she knew it wasn't the right time. Taeyeon said she needs time, so time she got.

 

She had to learned to be more patient and put her needs aside. The most important thing now is Taeyeon would be by her side again and that is more than enough to comfort her needy self.

 

 

Taeyeon kept her promise and they had returned to their usually selves with each other. However she still quite tense whenever they run into each other at workplace since after they were getting too comfortable with each other and showing skinship.

 

But Tiffany gave her a compromise as Taeyeon had completely welcome her advances and even sometimes initiative make first move although she was still extremely cautious, trying not to cross the line. 

 

Tiffany had given subtle hints that she wanted that talk to be occurred soon, but Taeyeon continuously dodged it which irritated her a lot and they ended up postponing it until now.

 

She also figured Taeyeon's friends, who are her employees as well, had no clue about them yet and her assumption was reinforced by how Taeyeon seemed reluctant to even show a tiny bit of their closeness in front of them. Like it's not like she wants the whole company to know about them, but aren't Sunny and Heechul her close friends? She thought at least Taeyeon would talk about them to those two. She knew she shouldn't feel this way, especially when they weren't an item yet, but she couldn't help but be dissapointed.  

 

Her heels created this clicking sound on the marble floor as she walked down the corridor, making two women walked in front of her turn their heads. They greeted her respectfully as they recognised her and let her walked ahead. 

 

Tiffany turned right and when she caught the sight of elevator, it was half closed but then a hand stuck out of the way, preventing it from close completely. 

 

The owner of the hand flashed her a smile before shifting to the side to create space for her, followed by the others.

 

Tiffany wasn't in the mood for grab a lunch outside, so she took a quick route to the cafetaria. After picking up her food, she scanned the room looking for any empty seat.

 

She spotted Taeyeon, who already had her eyes on her the moment her gaze landed on her, sitting with other co-workers. Their table had empty seats available but as they shared an eye contact, from a distance Taeyeon's expression looked plain and she didn't move an inch so Tiffany took that as a clue not to come close to her.

 

Tiffany broke the stare before skimming the room again looking for another unoccupied seat. As she found one and was about to stroll to the table, Sunny called her out and signaling her to join them.

 

She paused for a second, thinking it wasn't a wise decision to take since somehow Taeyeon seemed allergic to her whenever she was near her at the office. But then she brushed the thought off her head quickly before approaching them. Let see just how much allergic you're to me.

 

"Hi guys, I hope I don't interrupt y'all." Tiffany stated with cheery voice and a friendly smile spread on her face. She noticed they were still in the middle of devouring their meals before grabbing a seat in front of Taeyeon.

 

She had shared a table with them plenty times, but this was the first time since which she dared to claim an ambiguous relationship with Taeyeon.

 

She was thrilled and would like to take this chance to know more about Taeyeon from her friends' perspective. Yes, she would dig up some information the hell out of them. It's a cost for Taeyeon to avoid her like a plague at the workplace.

 

"Nonsense! You're very welcome here, Miss Hwang!" One of the most senior employee in their division replied on behalf of her workmates.

 

"But it seems Taeyeon doesn't want me to be here."

 

The remark made everyone at the table had their eyes bulged out. 

 

Upon hearing her name being called out, Taeyeon who couldn't take her eyes off her food by the time Tiffany placed her pretty on the seat in front of her, finally looked up.

 

A dumbfounded expression swept over her baby face, the spoon she was about to bring to came to a halt midway. Taeyeon felt attacked by the insinuate, she couldn't counter it either as it wasn't completely wrong.

 

Aware of the tension she was creating, Tiffany chuckled. "I'm just kidding guys! Oh my god, have you seen the look on your faces? Especially you, Taeyeon. So funny!"

 

After her clarification, a sense of relief was evident on their faces, except for this particular person. Taeyeon could fool others but not her, especially since she knows the reason.

 

"Ma'am, I felt my heart almost fall out for a moment! Please don't joke around like that anymore for the sake of my fragile heart!" Heechul retorted.

 

"Oh come on, my joke isn't even that severe especially if compared to yours, Heechul." Tiffany squinted her eyes at Heechul playfully. 

 

"Yeah, I thought you were dead serious when you said that, since this kid here did do nothing when she spotted you." Sunny joined the conversation, judging her mum bestfriend with her eyes.

 

Tiffany waved her hand. "It's okay. Maybe Taeyeon really didn't pay attention to me and was lost in thought and coincidentally had her eyes on my direction. Am I right, Taeyeon? Is something bothering you?"

 

If Taeyeon really wants to act like they hadn't known each other outside of work then she would play along. 

 

Taeyeon swallowed hard as she felt all eyes on her, expecting her to make a sound. "Sorry for my rudeness, Ma'am. You're right, my mind was wondering elsewhere earlier. But I'm perfectly fine. Thank you for your concern, Miss Hwang."

 

Taeyeon patted her shoulder in her mind, had not stuttered. But there was still uneasiness exuded from her which Tiffany was able to pick up and apparently Sunny too. 

 

As they resumed their meal, Tiffany pushed on the conversation. Taeyeon didn't look like a type of liar, so she kinda surprised she didn't even blink and stumbled on her lies when she spoke up. If she didn't know better, she would've believed her.

 

"So what's on your mind? Maybe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter