Chapter 8

Love Better
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Déjà vu

 

Tiffany folded her arms across her chest in a defensive manner as the man stared at her fiercely, seemingly he was trying to calm his ragged breath.

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

"I heard he admitted to hospital." His voice was controlled yet harsh.

 

"So? He's alright now." She spoke in a light tone and his jaw tightened.

 

"Tiff, I-" His breath was getting heavier as he tried to suppress his anger. He closed his eyes before look at the woman who made him so worked up lately.

 

He let out a deep sigh. "I'm sorry, okay. I'm sorry for what I said the other day. I didn't mean it." His tone was softer as he asked for forgiveness. 

 

She scoffed and the man ignored it.

 

"But you know, you supposed to still tell me. He's my son too. He needs me as well, not only you."

 

Tiffany sneered at his words. "Well you've seen yourself, he was doing alright even without you."

 

He approached her and put his hands on her shoulders. Tiffany tried to brush them away but gave up as he was stronger. "I really am sorry, Tiff. It's not my intention to hurt you like that." 

 

A deep masculine voice she had once loved now filled with regret. His eyes looked both pleading and guilty as he gazed on her.

 

She froze when he held her face against his palms and drew his face closer.

 

Inhaled a long deep breath, Tiffany gathered her strength before pushing him.

 

The man raised his eyebrows, frowning at the rejection.

 

"What do you think you're doing?" Her voice sounded cold and distant.

 

He reached for her hand and got a slap on the back of his hand instead. "Tiff, please I really am sorry. I swear I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm at fault, I know. But please babe, don't do this to me."

 

She gritted her teeth and snarled. "Stop it! I said stop it! Stop calling me that! We were done long time ago! You shouldn't live in the past!"

 

"Well if you weren't so stubborn, you might still be my wife now. Also honey, you should give up then because I'll keep calling you whatever I want. Unless you're taken ofcourse."

 

"You should get help you've gone crazy. And sure I probably should've accepted dad's proposal of him setting me up with some random man."

 

"You won't."

 

"Try me."

 

---------

 

"Tadaaa~”

 

The boy shrieked as Taeyeon pulled out a box with Gundam printed on it from her backpack. He jumped in excitement, his face beaming with delight. “Is that for me?!”

 

“Uhuh, it's yours.”

 

Stephan took the unopened Gunpla kit happily as Taeyeon passed it over. He showed Tiffany the box and giving her a puppy look eyes. “Mommy, can I?”

 

Tiffany narrowed her eyes at a lopsided smiling Taeyeon before shaking her head. “When you got a present from someone, what you suppose to say?”

 

It was been nearly a month since the little boy got discharged from the hospital, and Taeyeon and Stephan had gotten closer in that short span of time.

 

Their meetings so far could still be counted on the fingers, since she made a rule that Stephan could only meet Taeyeon when he was with her. 

 

And Tiffany had never felt so grateful, because since then he was been so excited whenever he had to stay over with her. 

 

This week the boy was supposed to be with his father, but the man was on his two days business trip and Stephan was under the care of his boring grandparents.

 

His father would be back later tonight, but since morning the boy had been whining at his mom on the phone about Taeyeon. And eventually Tiffany gave up and let the boy had his way. She should bring him back to his father's place after that though because there's still one day left for this week. 

 

Usually it was Taeyeon who always came over to Tiffany’s place. And because most of time she felt left out by the other two, Tiffany was so relieved to feeling that way while in her own house. So she could do other things besides watch them play.

 

Tiffany also had thought thoroughly about loosening up a bit her strictness toward her son and avoiding the events at the park repeat. 

 

Plus she should prove to her ex-husband that she wasn’t like the person he accused her that day and that Stephan wouldn’t leave her no matter what. He had hurt her deeply with his words and she wouldn't ever forget it.

 

She laid her eyes on her son who followed Taeyeon's every moves as if he was her tail. She bit her lower lip. And now I need Taeyeon to win him over because Stephan listens to her so well. 

 

"What are those for?" Tiffany asked Taeyeon who sat on the floor, facing the coffee table as she was taking out a green board and some tools. 

 

"To build this." Taeyeon patted the box that Stephan was holding, and helped him unload the contents. She spread the guide sheet over the table. 

 

"Taengoo, what is it? Where is my robot?" The young mind asked in confusion as he waved the untouched framework.

 

"If you want it, you've to build it first, buddy."

 

"Really?"

 

"Uhuh."

 

"How? Is it hard?"

 

Taeyeon put her fingers on her chin, rubbing it. "Hm... for someone who is not used to do this, yes. But that's why I'm here. I'll do it for you."

 

"Are you going to turn my son into a builder like you?"

 

"What? No!" Taeyeon exclaimed. "I just think since he likes it, why don't I show him how to build it."

 

Tiffany watched as her son nudged Taeyeon, asking her to put up his robot quickly.

 

Taeyeon set her hands on the framework and about to work on it, but then Tiffany spoke again.

 

"And then he'll start to have an interest in it, and soon he'll ask you to teach him how to build it." And by that Tiffany left the living room to the kitchen.

 

There was a hint of unpleasant tone from Tiffany's voice that made Taeyeon feel uneasy. 

 

Tiffany came back with a glass jar and put it in the empty space on the coffee table.

 

"I'm not trying to turn him into anything, Miss Hwang." Taeyeon voiced out quietly, her eyes remain focused on her hands that didn't stop moving.

 

Stephan had moved on her lap watching intently as her fingers steadily attached the small condiments piece by piece, didn't even mind the two adults' voices.

 

"And it's going to be difficult anyway consider his age. But I'm sorry if I make you think so. I should've thought thoroughly before planning such things especially if it concerns your son."

 

Tiffany flabbergasted by a serious tone in Taeyeon's voice. She knew she had said she wants to loosen up his freedom a little bit but she was doing the opposite now.

 

She sighed silently. I think I should work on my overprotective and controlling traits first. 

 

"What drink do you want?"

 

"Mineral is okay."

 

"Taengoo, you want cookie?" Stephan asked his friend as he munched his chocolate chip.

 

"I can't. I don't wanna dirt your Gundam." She stated in a murmur.

 

Tiffany settled down on the couch behind the duo after placing the glass and plate filled with freshly baked cupcakes on the table. A guilt had grown within her as she noticed Taeyeon was getting quieter. 

 

"Here. Say aahh~" Stephan shoved his half-eaten cookie in front of Taeyeon's mouth.

 

She was slightly taken aback by the advice before looking at the cookie that was somehow coated with saliva on the side that had been bitten off. What the heck. Does he it or something?

 

"Stephan, give her the new one."

 

"Oh you don't want my cookie? Okay." He finished his first before grabbing another one and ing it to Taeyeon. 

 

Seeing it looked safe for her to eat, she captured it in one bite. She nodded in approval, savoring the taste on her tongue.

 

Content was written all over her face as she chewed noisily.

 

"Mommy baked it! It's good, right?! Mommy is awesome! My awesome baker!" Stephan chimed in proudly. 

 

let out a short hum as she was munching another one. The boy was sure a reliable assistant now.

 

Half an hour had been passed and Taeyeon gave the finished plastic figurine to the rightful owner. 

 

A frown painted across his face. "Taengoo, why the robot so small?" He grabbed his other Gunplas Taeyeon gave him before, putting them side by side.

 

Taeyeon deliberately brought the SD grade kit, which means the Gundam in chibi form. They're a great choice if you want to expose children to the world of Gunpla since they are easy to assemble and cute in nature. 

 

"Because it's a small version of Gundam. Why? You don't like it?"

 

Stephan went silent for a moment before shook his head and hugging her. "No. I like it. Thank you, Taengoo."

 

Stephan retreated his body away and began to play with his Gunplas.

 

Taeyeon looked at the plate on the table, the mouth watering cupcakes seemingly so tempting.

 

Before she could reach out, Tiffany interrupted.

 

"Wash your hands first, Taeyeon."

 

She ran her palms against her pants. "But my hands aren't dirty."

 

A raise of Tiffany's eyebrows was enough for Taeyeon to comply.

 

Taeyeon giddily snatched a cupcake afterward, took a big bite and moaned at the flavor.

 

"You can take home the cupcakes if you want."

 

She turned around to face Tiffany. "Can I?"

 

Tiffany nodded. "There are plenty." She took the opportunity to observe Taeyeon if there were any hints that she was upset due to her words earlier. 

 

Taeyeon stayed silent for a second before she spoke. "No. It's okay. I'm fine. I don't want to trouble you."

 

"Nonsense. I'll pack some for you now."

 

Taeyeon's eyes followed Tiffany until she was out of her sight.

 

Toward four o'clock in the afternoon they went to the park as per Stephan's request.

 

Taeyeon was surprised to see Tiffany wearing a sporty look, three-quarters black leggings and a tank top under her black jacket. Because usually in their two visits together to the park she had always worn her casual clothes since she would just sit on the bench prettily, watching over her son. 

 

And now as they were in the park with the warm afternoon sun bathed them, Tiffany asked her to teach her cycling.

 

Stephan was so enthusiastic to hear that, his eyes twinkling with excitement. 

 

"Go, Mommy! Go, Mommy!" Stephan cheered her up on her right side as she tried to pedal, by the help of Taeyeon on her other side. Actually it was really embarrassing because Stephan yelled out loud.

 

The park was filled of youngsters hanging out, not a few of them were holding hands. Some people took a walk and jog, there were also several cyclists rode their bicycles around the park.

 

From a distance you could also seen a happy family having a picnic, spread out a mat on the green grass with a basket laying nearby, spending their quality time together. 

 

In other words the park was crowded of people who simply doing their own things, and Tiffany hoped they would mind their own businesses and not pay attention to her elated son. 

 

"Miss Hwang, I'll let go of you, okay?" Taeyeon stated after a while assisting her and thought that was enough. 

 

"What? No. No. Don't you dare. I'm not ready yet." Tiffany exclaimed anxiously.

 

"It's okay. Stephan made it even without I warn him." And by that Taeyeon released her grip on the bike.

 

Different from what she did with Stephan before. She completely let go of Tiffany as Taeyeon had no single doubt Tiffany would make it. But for her horror, she watched her wobbly and before she could run to her, the bike had been crashed on the hard pavement.

 

Taeyeon cursed internally and approached her in a flash.

 

"Miss Hwang, are you okay?" Taeyeon checked on her. She patted Tiffany's left side when she saw dirt on the jacket. Then she cursed again as her eyes landed on Tiffany's butchered knee.

 

"Miss Hwang, your knee..." Taeyeon stated in dismay, making Tiffany who was still brushing her jacket, followed the direction of Taeyeon's eyes.

 

"Mommy, are you okay? Are you hurt?" Stephan asked frantically.

 

"Yes, sweetie. I'm okay."

 

His eyes rounded as he gasped. "Mommy! Your knee is bleeding!" He gazed on the wound that ripped off his mom's leggings. 

 

"It's okay. I'm fine. It doesn't that hurt." Tiffany tried to assure her son, but she was being honest though. It didn't hurt that much.

 

"But you bleed!"

 

Taeyeon was scanning her eyes around before helping Tiffany got on her feet. "Come on."

 

"Where?"

 

"Mend your wound." Taeyeon replied shortly as she straightened her fallen bike. She was grateful her folding bike had a rear seat in the back.

 

As Tiffany had safely landed her on the seat, Taeyeon turned to Stephan. "Buddy, follow me and stay by my side, okay?"

 

A nod from him was a cue for her to head off. Taeyeon felt Tiffany had her hands on her, clutching her shirt.

 

"You know, I'm okay, right? I'm not a kid, Taeyeon. A small cut won't make me cry."

 

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders while occasionally glanced at Stephan. She didn't wish to make another mistake today due to her recklessness, two mistakes were more than enough. 

 

Taeyeon strode out of the small convenience store with a plastic bag and first aid kit. She gave the plastic bag to Tiffany and opened the kit.

 

"Stretch out your leg, Miss Hwang."

 

Tiffany did as Taeyeon told her to after handing over Stephan the drink Taeyeon bought. She caught a glimpse of her injury clearer and pulled a face. "It's so ugly."

 

"Sorry." Taeyeon apologized as she carefully rolled up the bottom part of her torn pants.

 

"It's not your fault. Stop saying sorry. And like I said, it's no biggie. It's just a minor wound." Her voice was reassuring and gentle. She hoped Taeyeon could read the tone of her voice. She didn't blame her at all.

 

"And you can still teach me later after you bind it up, you know. I mean that too if you're not traumatized enough." She joked a bit, trying to brighten up the gloomy mood. 

 

But what she didn't expect was her son's reactions. 

 

"No, Mommy! I don't want you to get hurt again! If you want to bicycling with us, you can ride with Taengoo! I'm still little now. But later if I'm as big as Taengoo, I'll let you ride with me! I can take you to work too if you want!"

 

Tiffany laughed at her son's gibberish. This was probably the longest speech he had ever spoken with her.

 

"Sweetie, I'm fine really. But okay, I'll stop here. So grow up fast, so you can give me a ride with your bike." Her eyes radiated immense affection toward him as she his hair lovingly. 

 

"Hey I'll pour water to get rid of dirt first before clean it up with alcohol. Is it okay?" When Tiffany gave her a nod, she spilled the cold water.

 

She hissed as a stream of water flowing gradually, wetting her left wounded knee. The skin around the wound was red, she hoped it didn't turn into an ugly purple.

 

After some more hisses, Taeyeon was finally done giving Tiffany's knee treatment.

 

"Mommy, you said it doesn't hurt but you sound like you wanna cry." Her smartass son spoke up, and Tiffany couldn't stop the embarrassment as she eyed Taeyeon's corner lip lifted up slightly as she lowered her leg and gathe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter